shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions, Suggestions re: Digital Camera

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I know ... I am a bit behind with technology!
20.gif

I have enough saved up to finally get a digital camera.
9.gif

At least that is what I think is the latest in technology. It seems to be changing everyday. So my questions are.

1. Is a digital camera still the way to go, or is there something out on the horizon that will be better than a digital camera?

2. If dig. camera is the way to go, what should I be looking for?

I would like to be able to take close up pic''s of jewelry
18.gif
, take pics of family
emlove.gif
, and whatever else strikes my fancy
face23.gif
. I would like great quality in the pics, like no grainy looking pics.

As, you can tell, digital and computer stuff I am not an expert
6.gif
, so any and all advice would surely help me to no ends!
36.gif

Thanking anyone and everyone in advance for your time, and brains in trying to help me!

Have a happy weekend,
35.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
nikon takes the best ring pictures of the non-slr cameras
if you get an slr get a canon.

Every camera is a trade off,
price
size
battery life
image storage
image quality

The best advise is take a ton of pictures and learn the camera.
You can delete em later but shoot everything.

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Storm!

I feel like I need to go back to school, I am so out of the loop. I will study the info on the sites, I am sure I will be back with more questions.
20.gif

Storm, Thanks for being a real sweetie and replying to my thread ... I really appreciate that you took the time to try and help me. I know your busy, but without your input, I would be lost in this department, at least I have direction now ... I will try and figure this all out.

Have a great day!
35.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i am very happy with my canon S2IS....

movie zombie

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Movie Zombie ~

Hi, Thanks for chiming in ...
9.gif

So you have a canon, are you pretty pleased with the quality of pics you can get with your camera? Is there anything, now that you have played with it, is there anything that you would wish you could add to it, or delete from it?

I don''t want to have to pay big bucks for things that I wouldn''t really use on the camera, but would not mind spending some $ on things that would make my camera easy to use, versatile, and not obsolete the day after I buy it.

Thanks for helping, I can use all the help I can get!
35.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
I have a Sony cybershot DSC-P72. I think it takes great pics of everything. I don''t know any of the specs really because my DH''s sis bought it for him for his birthday a couple of years ago. Ouch, that one may be a bit outdated, but it does take great pics. HTH

shay

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I received a Sony Cybershot this past Christmas from my DH...I''m a casual user, so it''s perfect for me. I love the compact size, even with the protective camera bag around it, it still fits nicely into my "going out" handbags! It''s pretty user friendly, and has all the functions I could ever want. I will probably never learn ALL the functions, but for a basic digi-cam I think it takes top notch pics. If I could sit down for a couple hours and figure every function out, and really learn how to make the most of my pics through editing them on my PC, I''d be cookin''.
35.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I received a Canon SD550 digital camera for Christmas and I love it! It is compact and easy to use with extra features available if you want to learn to do more. This is my second Canon and I recommend them highly.

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Shay, Monarch & Sundial ~
35.gif

Thanks for your input! I was wondering, what kind of megapixals do you have? This can be as complicated as diamond buying!
26.gif

And do your dig-cams have flashes ... and zoom lens?

On one the the sights that Storm listed, holy moly! They are coming out with some high tech stuff. If I read it right, you will be able to switch lenses? on your dig-camera. I wonder what this would be for?
33.gif

Maybe I can find a dig=cam with an ACA diamond melee wrist strap!
9.gif

I wonder if there is one of those books called "How to buy a dig cam for dummies~!"
20.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
megapixals is a complicated subject.
For posting on the web even 1MP is fine and for print work up to 8x10 4MP is fine.
In todays market id go 4MP and up.
Once you hit 7MP or so the file sizes really start getting huge.
If your going to do a lot of editing a 6-7MP gives you more data to work with.
It really depends but a good 4MP-7MP will do for most uses.
You can always shot in a lower mode.

3x "optical" zoom is fine for most uses notice the "optical", digital zoom is not the same thing and is not useful as it hurts image quality.

For shooting rings you want a camera with a good macro (close up) mode which is why I like the nikon.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''m a novice and have yet to use this camera to its full potential. i''ve posted some iris pictures but i think this thread will answer more questions for you:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/finally-spess-pictures.30212/=

lots of orange spessartite and some california specimens that i think turned out quite well.

the camera has two macro settings.

movie zombie

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2006 1:17:21 AM
Author: Mrs Darlin Joy
Hi Shay, Monarch & Sundial ~
35.gif

Thanks for your input! I was wondering, what kind of megapixals do you have? This can be as complicated as diamond buying!
26.gif

And do your dig-cams have flashes ... and zoom lens?

On one the the sights that Storm listed, holy moly! They are coming out with some high tech stuff. If I read it right, you will be able to switch lenses? on your dig-camera. I wonder what this would be for?
33.gif

Maybe I can find a dig=cam with an ACA diamond melee wrist strap!
9.gif

I wonder if there is one of those books called ''How to buy a dig cam for dummies~!''
20.gif
Mine is the Sony Cybershot DSC-T5. It has 5.1 mega pixels and 3.0x zoom (info on box).

You can always "bling" out your camera with swarovski rhinestones, lol! But only if you can''t find the ACA wrist strap (that''s so funny!
9.gif
_!

My camera also came with a battery pack and charger. There is a nice feature on this camera that tells you exactly how many hours of battery life there is left until you need to recharge. The last digi-cam I had used AA batteries and was constantly sucking the life out of them...I had to either keep the batteries out of the cam when not in use, or put fresh ones in every time I used it. I don''t know if it was defective or what, but I heard a few other people complaining about it as well. This battery pack thing is tiny, the charger itself is cordless but plugs right into the wall (think night lights), and is tiny, about the size of a cell phone! I think the fully charged battery pack lasts 200-300 hours.

I know when digi-cams first came out, there were tons of free classes being given in my area at camera stores on how to use them, and how to edit your pics. Maybe you could look around for a class, Mrs. Darlin Joy.
35.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Mine has 3.2 megapixels and 3x optical zoom. HTH all of my ring pics have been taken with this camera without a tripod, and about 80 percent turn out usable.

shay

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
My Canon SD550 is 7 megapixels and has a 3.0 optical zoom. It also has digital zoom capability but I rarely use it. It has a rechargable battery and of course a flash which can be turned off for those closeup diamond pictures.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
We got the Canon SD550 and so far we love it. This is my second Canon as well, I used to have the Canon Powershot G3, a fantastic camera as well.

The only thing I don''t like about this camera is that you have to remove the battery to charge it and the screen doesn''t invert to protect it. I guess that is the trade off to get a smaller compact camera!

I am so used to just plugging in my G3 to charge!

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone ... Happy Saturday!!!

Thanks to Storm, Movie Zombie, Shay, Monarch, Sundial and Butterfly for replying!
36.gif

I am going to go to a couple of electronic type stores today and ask them a whole bunch of questions. I am going to write as much as possible down, and go back to the sites that Storm posted earlier.

While I am there I am going to check out the Nikon and Cannon lines.

Thank you for your help. I feel much better knowing a lil'' something and hopefully won''t act like a total Dunce~head when I go ask to look at these cameras!
37.gif

Everyone, have a great weekend!
35.gif

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Everyone~!

Well, I went camera looking yesterday at a couple of places. And I was wondering if anyone has or knows anything about the digicams that have the "super zoom lenses". I was looking at one that had a 12x zoom. It was called a canon powershot 2, but I guess from looking at the website above, they just release the canon powershot 3 in February.

One thing I think I will like that I saw was something called image stabilization. It is supposed to help not get blurry pics when you hold the camera, and also will help when photographing dance/sports events. Does anyones camera have this? I wonder if it really works.

I like the idea of having that zoom lens as sometimes I will not be able to be courtside to take some pics of my kids.

Does anyone know anything about the super zoom lenses? Problems, etc???

I don''t think I will need a camera with more than 7 megapixals. I think between 5-7 will work for me. And of course needs to have macro mode!

Has anyone had any problems with their lenses not functioning properly? Moving in and out? Any prob''s that needed repair work?

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it!
35.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I'm considering several of the super zoom cameras also (trying to decide between them and a digital SLR.) I currently have one of the first super zooms -- the Olympus C700 10x optical zoom. I've loved it and had no problems at all. the zoom works as advertized and is really nice to have. I hear the image stabilization is a great thing. I don't currently have that.

The sales guy I spoke with suggested the Cannon Powershot or the comparable Sony. I've also read really good things about the 12x Panazonic. I'm down to those 3 or the Nikon D50 SLR.

If you haven't already checked it out, DCResource.com has a lot of detailed info on most cameras. Definitely worth checking out.

ETA: I assume that in digital cameras the lens is still one of the most important pieces that impcts the quality of the picture. Is this true, or do the digital brains make a biger difference?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Most of the superzooms make too many compromises for my tastes.
They try to do everything with one lens that should be done in 2 or 3.

For sports shots you need a fast focus.
To test this in the store, look at a distant object then turn from the waist while looking at the lcd.
How well does the image stay in focus while you move?
A shorter faster zoom will handle this better.
A lot of long zoom cameras even pro-level slr lens will fail this test.
That''s why the lens the pros use for shooting sports start at $5000 and go up to the sky from there.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
image stabilization is a good thing if it dont slow down the focus...
most do.. pros shot from tripods for this reason and dont use it.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2006 7:43:26 PM
Author: strmrdr

So Storm... I shoot mostly landscape shots while hiking etc. I like the idea of a 10+x zoom, and don't like the bulk of an SLR. I also take people shots at family gatherings, etc, and have completely failed at macros of jewelery, so have given that up. Since I am almost never shooting fast action shots, do you still see problems with the 10-12x optical zoom camers out there (ie Canon Powershot, Panasonic, Sony.....)?

E B

Ideal_Rock
I love mine...it''s a Canon SD400 (5mp). It takes great pictures and records movies as well! I''m not sure how much it costs as it was a present, but I assume it''s around $300.00-$350.00.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2006 7:45:57 PM
Author: lop

So Storm... I shoot mostly landscape shots while hiking etc. I like the idea of a 10+x zoom, and don''t like the bulk of an SLR. I also take people shots at family gatherings, etc, and have completely failed at macros of jewelery, so have given that up. Since I am almost never shooting fast action shots, do you still see problems with the 10-12x optical zoom camers out there (ie Canon Powershot, Panasonic, Sony.....)?

check the reviews some are better at full zoom than others.
But yea it sounds like a good match for you.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Mrs. DJ
Like MZ I to have a canon S2IS. I must say this camera makes taking really good pics very easy.
The 12x zoom comes in handy for photographing gems and jewelry without blocking out the light.
The I.S. is good for taking the distance shots. The supermacro setting will get you in as close as zero inchs from the lens. (touching the lens)
I once took a pic of aphids on an oleander and when I put the pic up on the computer moniter, i could not believe the detail. Like storm says there are some trade offs though. The zoom is not super fast, but it meets my demands as I am not a pro sports photographer. The camera is also rather bulky compared to other point and shoot cameras these days. More along the lines of an SLR camera.
My sister just bought a sony with pretty much the same bells and whistles as my S2IS and is very happy with it as well.
They are both 5mp. We haven''t compared pics side by side yet but I''m sure we will soon.
I think I saw a flyer for one of the electronics stores selling the same camera I have for a hundred dollars less than I paid. I knew I should have waited another year before buying.
Good luck on your search. Doug

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2006 10:55:06 PM

So Storm... I shoot mostly landscape shots while hiking etc. I like the idea of a 10+x zoom, and don't like the bulk of an SLR. I also take people shots at family gatherings, etc, and have completely failed at macros of jewelery, so have given that up. Since I am almost never shooting fast action shots, do you still see problems with the 10-12x optical zoom camers out there (ie Canon Powershot, Panasonic, Sony.....)?

Thanks Storm... I've been reading reviews. Talk about details! Right now I'm leaning towards the Sony or the Panasonic if I don't go with the Nikon SLR.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2006 7:28:43 PM
Date: 3/13/2006 10:55:06 PM

So Storm... I shoot mostly landscape shots while hiking etc. I like the idea of a 10+x zoom, and don''t like the bulk of an SLR. I also take people shots at family gatherings, etc, and have completely failed at macros of jewelery, so have given that up. Since I am almost never shooting fast action shots, do you still see problems with the 10-12x optical zoom camers out there (ie Canon Powershot, Panasonic, Sony.....)?

Thanks Storm... I''ve been reading reviews. Talk about details! Right now I''m leaning towards the Sony or the Panasonic if I don''t go with the Nikon SLR.

if you go slr get the canon unless you allready have lenses for the nikon.
Thats a whole nuther topic compared to point and shoots.
I want a dslr bad I love photography but havent had a good camera is years since mine develped a light leak.
Then my best lens fell off the shelf and broke :{

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Thanks storm...

I am leaning towards the 12x panasonic with Leica lens. It gets good reviews except for it''s preformance in low light conditions. I do have Nikon lenses, but I don''t think they are very good ones, and if you want Image Stabilization, you have to get new ones anyway. The guy at Best Buy (one of those Geek people) wasn''t high on the Canon Rebel, and said to move up. It''s gets pricey fast! The reviews I have read have ben high on both Canon and Nikon.

Who knows. Thanks for the input and sorry for the delayed response -- I''ve been running like mad lately.

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/13/2006 11:06:04 PM
Author: colormyworld
Hi Mrs. DJ
Like MZ I to have a canon S2IS. I must say this camera makes taking really good pics very easy.
The 12x zoom comes in handy for photographing gems and jewelry without blocking out the light.
The I.S. is good for taking the distance shots. The supermacro setting will get you in as close as zero inchs from the lens. (touching the lens)

I noticed this at the store when I was playing around ... I put the camera lens on a piece of paper that had writing on it and took the pic, and it came out completely clear! I was very amazed with the macro ... the other 4 I played with could not even come close to the canon S2IS!

I once took a pic of aphids on an oleander and when I put the pic up on the computer moniter, i could not believe the detail. Like storm says there are some trade offs though. The zoom is not super fast, but it meets my demands as I am not a pro sports photographer. The camera is also rather bulky compared to other point and shoot cameras these days. More along the lines of an SLR camera.

Well, I don''t know how fast is fast, but just taking pics in the store, the canon had a faster shutter speed even at full telescoping lens than the other 4 I tested. I even had my daughter who is in dance running down the isle and doing a leap right infront of me and took pics to see how "clean" the pics came out, and the canon was the crispist, and the kodak to my amazement was next then came the sony, and then ??? can''t remember the last one.

My sister just bought a sony with pretty much the same bells and whistles as my S2IS and is very happy with it as well.

They are both 5mp. We haven''t compared pics side by side yet but I''m sure we will soon.
I think I saw a flyer for one of the electronics stores selling the same camera I have for a hundred dollars less than I paid.

Well, I have been looking on-line at the websites that Storm posted above and they have links to where you can buy on-line and so far the online price is cheaper than what I can buy it here in my state, and that is including "No Sales Tax" ... I will definately buy on line ... and will probably make up my mind this weekend.

I knew I should have waited another year before buying.
Good luck on your search. Doug
Thanks ColorMyWorld ... I appreciate your feedback, have you seen or heard about the differences between the Canon S2IS and the new one, Canon S3IS? I think it just came out.
Have a great day
35.gif

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/17/2006 6:48:38 PM
The guy at Best Buy (one of those Geek people) wasn''t high on the Canon Rebel, and said to move up.

I love my Canon Rebel XT. What did he say to move up to? The only thing I remember that was better at Best Buy was the the 20D. Bigger, heavier and more money.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results