shape
carat
color
clarity

One brave teen

justginger

Ideal_Rock
A teen boy recently came out to his entire community of peers at a school awards night.

As you can see here: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout...omes-gay-while-accepting-award-230305217.html the reaction was very, very positive.

Thinking back to my own years of high school, which were honestly not very long ago, this scenario would not have played out the same way. There would have been stunned silence. There would have been friends of that teen who were forbidden by their parents from hanging out with him. There quite honestly may have been people who heckled or left the auditorium if they had any previous hint of what was to come. :nono:

This makes me so very happy to see - a real life example of how things are moving forward, and bigotry is becoming less and less prevalent in society.

To those who have children - is this how you imagine it happening among your children's peers? Or would there be a less-than-positive outcome? I am hoping this is a trend that is being seen across the country, not just in certain places.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
My first reaction was how can he be Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual AND Transgender all at the same time? Hm, now he's got me wondering...is that possible lol.
His use of the jargon made the speech seem a little political, even a little like a political 'stunt' to me.

However, I agree that it is inspiring to see him making this speech.
Perhaps society as a whole is finally seeing the writing on the wall regarding homosexual people - that 'they' have always existed, that 'they' always will exist, and that 'they' are not summed up by their sexuality, either!

I look forward to the time when science can explain homosexuality. I feel that knowledge without bias is the key to overcoming all prejudice, fear, and cultural misunderstanding / loathing.

We are living in an exciting new era, where gender, race, and now sexuality are becoming less and less the albatross. Very exciting!
Humanity as a whole will be the winner.

ETA: I wonder if this fellow was influenced by popular tv shows such as Glee?

Media has a huge part to play in gaining acceptance for marginalised groups of people...

funnily enough media seems happy to accept its role as opinion leader in areas such as gay rights even as the media industry totally rejects its influence in other, less sunshiny areas of life, such as glamourisation of violence, sexual abuse of women, drug use etc etc.

But that's another thread topic entirely lol :))

justginger

Ideal_Rock
LaraOnline|1359031361|3362708 said:
My first reaction was how can he be Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual AND Transgender all at the same time? Hm, now he's got me wondering...is that possible lol.
His use of the jargon made the speech seem a little political, even a little like a political 'stunt' to me.

However, I agree that it is inspiring to see him making this speech.
Perhaps society as a whole is finally seeing the writing on the wall regarding homosexual people - that 'they' have always existed, that 'they' always will exist, and that 'they' are not summed up by their sexuality, either!

I look forward to the time when science can explain homosexuality. I feel that knowledge without bias is the key to overcoming all prejudice, fear, and cultural misunderstanding / loathing.

We are living in an exciting new era, where gender, race, and now sexuality are becoming less and less the albatross. Very exciting!
Humanity as a whole will be the winner.

This occurred to me as well, but I think that within the community (which perhaps he was participating in via anonymous online ways) that is simply how they refer to themselves. In an attempt to band together and demand equal rights regardless of sexuality, lesbians, bisexuals, gays, and transgendered peoples have collectively become LGBT. You don't hear it used in common speech here in Australia as I have experienced that you do in the States, so perhaps that is partial explanation for your attention being drawn to that term.

Most importantly, I think it may have been EASIER for him to say. The term "LGBT" is empowered; it is a term of solidarity and strength. I think (sadly) the term 'gay' still has weak connotations. Perhaps saying, "I am an LGBT teen" was easier for him to say than, "I am gay."

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Yes, joining a group of similar others IS a political move.
And there is power in politics, so it's not really a choice I would begrudge him! :)

Yes, I feel your explanation of the use of the term as being a minor cultural differentiation really holds here.
It's a powerful step when we have young school students prepared to publicly identify in that way!

ETA: and perhaps a further example of the internet empowering people to experience a more 'real' reality than previously!
Women in repressive regimes, people suffering under corrupt governments, LGBT school students ...previously isolated and powerless people made more powerful (or at least being able to share information with each other in cyber-space) through the internet!

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My son is now a freshman in college, but when I used to pick him up from high school, the parking lot was flooded with 2,000 kids in the usual way. There was always boys holding hands with other boys and girls kissing other girls, and no reaction from any of the other kids. I can also tell you that there were times when my son would tell me about children and their lives and talk about them being gay as just a part of them, not as if it were an issue.

The only stories he ever had where gay was an issue was when the children's parents couldn't accept the fact that the child was gay. :(sad There was even a boy who was counting the days to 18 so that he could move out and never speak to his parents again. And he did.

The new generation, at least where I am, in redneck Northern California (I say that tongue in cheek, considering our voting, ugh) is open minded, and I am proud of them.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went to a private all-girls Catholic high school that taught evolutionary theory in biology class but didn't allow the teachers to state whether they personally believed in it, so... yeah, I know exactly how that would've been received :cheeky:

I found it to be a disappointing reality check. It's really disappointing to know that making a statement like that can be so empowering - disappointing that for so many people something as fundamental as one's sexuality is still something to make a statement about one way or another. HouseCat's is the best description of the battle truly won - no need to call attention to it because it just is.

We've come a long way from your description Ginger, but... we've still got a long way to go.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
At my DD's private school, there are gay kids and none of the other kids care.

BUT there was a wonderful gay (but he was very private about it, so as not to offend the bigots) teacher, and he got fired for hugging the kids, because a parent complained. The guy was at school 24/7, for every game, dance and event, encouraging the kids, for over 10 years.His hugs were quick, given to teachers and kids alike, and I think a bit self-conscious. Poor guy. But he was SOOO encouraging, he knew every single kid by name. When he was fired, he sent a nice note to EACH of the kids, talking about how special the kid was, and recalling memories he had about them over the years.

He found a new job right away, but the kids are lobbying hard to have him give the speech at graduation.

There's a tiny evil parent contingent, and I don't think it's going to happen. :((

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1359247058|3364384 said:

BUT there was a wonderful gay (but he was very private about it, so as not to offend the bigots) teacher, and he got fired for hugging the kids, because a parent complained. The guy was at school 24/7, for every game, dance and event, encouraging the kids, for over 10 years.His hugs were quick, given to teachers and kids alike, and I think a bit self-conscious. Poor guy. But he was SOOO encouraging, he knew every single kid by name. When he was fired, he sent a nice note to EACH of the kids, talking about how special the kid was, and recalling memories he had about them over the years.

He found a new job right away, but the kids are lobbying hard to have him give the speech at graduation.

There's a tiny evil parent contingent, and I don't think it's going to happen. :((
See? Bigoted parents. :(sad

We will all die off soon enough. :???:

justginger

Ideal_Rock

This is very sad, ilander. It's astounding how often you see a small group of people push their beliefs onto the majority. Strangely, the same thing happened to my VET. He's a hugger, a heterosexual married man with children. And he likes to hug his clients, people and animals. :bigsmile: Anyway, someone complained once and he was forced to stop his hugging - until the rest of us put together a petition for him to reinstate the hugs. He warned the complainer that he was going to continue hugging (not her, obviously, but she would see it occurring around her in the clinic), and she chose to take her business elsewhere. :confused: How can people be so utterly offended by a brief touch of camaraderie? Society is so backwards these days.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock

erk, that's a horrible story. :((

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
justginger|1359259683|3364597 said:
This is very sad, ilander. It's astounding how often you see a small group of people push their beliefs onto the majority. Strangely, the same thing happened to my VET. He's a hugger, a heterosexual married man with children. And he likes to hug his clients, people and animals. :bigsmile: Anyway, someone complained once and he was forced to stop his hugging - until the rest of us put together a petition for him to reinstate the hugs. He warned the complainer that he was going to continue hugging (not her, obviously, but she would see it occurring around her in the clinic), and she chose to take her business elsewhere. :confused: How can people be so utterly offended by a brief touch of camaraderie? Society is so backwards these days.

Actually, that's gross lol. He wouldn't be hugging me! 8-)
Not a breast-pressing hug, anyway. I'm a grown woman, not a child.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
LaraOnline|1359284884|3364737 said:

Interesting. I'm surprised that this bothers you. I find it endearing, he's not the least bit offensive, nor does he linger in a creepy way. It's a normal Australian greeting for a friend - a quick hug, and sometimes a peck on the cheek for the long term clients that he knows are receptive.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
justginger|1359286245|3364739 said:
LaraOnline|1359284884|3364737 said:

Interesting. I'm surprised that this bothers you. I find it endearing, he's not the least bit offensive, nor does he linger in a creepy way. It's a normal Australian greeting for a friend - a quick hug, and sometimes a peck on the cheek for the long term clients that he knows are receptive.

Yeah, I suppose it is strange, because lots of Australians *do* like to hug.
I (can) find it shallow, and a bit over-intimate.

Don't get me wrong. I'll happily give a girlfriend a one-handed side-body squeeze and a kiss on the cheek!!
But fully pressing chests together? With a middle aged male some-one I hardly know or even worse, pay good money to for important professional services??
Puh-leese.

*side note: I'll happily press chests with my children, and with the man I married lol.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results