shape
carat
color
clarity

On the subject of hair...

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do any of you find your hair goes through shedding cycles? My hair has always been fine, and I remember about 10 years ago that it shed a lot & got very thin on top. I had to wear sunscreen on my scalp as it always burned, it was so thin. Blood tests revealed no issues whatsoever. Then I had 2 babies within 21 months & my hair was lush & thick & grew so extremely fast! But over the last few months it has started to shed again & thin out, which is worrying me a bit too much again. I mean, its only hair, right? Not illness or disease. This might be coincidental, but I came off the contraceptive pill 5 months ago as it was making me feel rubbish, so could this be a factor? All that estrogen I was being filled with has now left my system & so my hair is thinning?? :-o

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Thinning hair is one of the potential side effects of some birth control pills that most doctors don't tell you about. One of my daughters found this out the hard way, but her hair did eventually get thick again.

I'm so sorry, but hopefully once your hormones have stabilized your hair will return to normal.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It could be hormone related or could be nutrition deficiency. I lost tons of hair after giving birth. It would just fall out in clumps. Went on for 3-4 months but then stabilized when I started taking hair and nail vitamins with biotin.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks ladies. I did lose hair after both of my babies, but the youngest is 2 1/2 now so I am well beyond the pregnancy shedding. I think it HAS to do with coming off the pill. I stopped 5 months ago, the horrid symptoms I have suffered with for years stopped after around 2 months & now over the last month I am losing hair. The last time I lost hair I was not on the pill. Fingers crossed its a hormone imbalance that will sort itself out. We are having a scorching hot summer here in the UK & I have caught my scalp burning a couple of times now. My husband says he will still love me if I go bald :bigsmile:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
If it seems your hair goes through shedding cycles, that's because it does (everyone's hair does). The life cycle of hair incudes various phases that last for different lengths of time. There is a growing phase (anagen) that last approx. 2-6 years, a resting phase (telogen) that can last about 2-3 months, and then a shedding phase where old hair is lost and replaced with new. It's a normal process.
Yes, your BC pill could potentially be contributing to your hair loss. If the shedding seems excessive, you may want to consult with your doctor again. What my sister thought was normal shedding, turned into a full-blown case of hair loss. She went to her doctor and now she takes medication in an effort to discourage the hair loss.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alex T|1374085622|3484874 said:
Thanks ladies. I did lose hair after both of my babies, but the youngest is 2 1/2 now so I am well beyond the pregnancy shedding. I think it HAS to do with coming off the pill. I stopped 5 months ago, the horrid symptoms I have suffered with for years stopped after around 2 months & now over the last month I am losing hair. The last time I lost hair I was not on the pill. Fingers crossed its a hormone imbalance that will sort itself out. We are having a scorching hot summer here in the UK & I have caught my scalp burning a couple of times now. My husband says he will still love me if I go bald :bigsmile:

Interesting and off topic....I saw a picture today of the Queen and princess Anne touring an area where everyone is wearing long sleeves and coats. I have noticed a lot of pictures this summer of various royals bundled up. If its so hot is it just a royal thing to dress heavy in the heat or are you more southern than them?

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aprilbaby - the Royals are more southern than me. Its a royal etiquette thing to not have short sleeves. Even in extreme heat they will wear long sleeve shirts, especially the men. Currently where I live in the North West we are experiencing an average of 27 degrees c each day, but today was the hottest so far at 31. Down south they are experiencing hotter, but the royals will generally still wear court clothes. Bizarre, isn't it?! Not particularly hot for the rest of the world, but for the UK in July this is pretty hot, and it has been like this now for almost 2 months & long term predictions to last a while. I am not complaining after last years summer of constant, muggy rain. Even my 4 year old said last summer she thought she would turn mouldy if the sun didn't come out soon! :D

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Momhappy - thanks for technical info about growth cycles! I knew a little bit about it but not very much, but what you have said makes perfect sense. I shall keep an eye on how things go over the next month or two, and if it doesn't stop & gets worrying, I shall absolutely be off to my Dr.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
A B vitamin deficiency can cause hair loss. You could see if taking a vitamin B complex helps. I also have friends who swear by Biotin supplements. I believe Biotin is in the B vitamin family. In any case, both are good for your hair/skin/nails. I notice that my hair feels fuller and my nails are stronger when I take B supplements.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Tuffy! I do take a Vitamin B Complex - is that the same thing? I started taking it in March following a very horrid, long snowy winter where I suffered on & off with a cold for 4 months :nono: I now also take vitamin C, zinc & eat 2 Brazil nuts every day for selenium. Sounds strict, but I am DETERMINED to not suffer as much this coming winter ;))

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
My hair has become thinner over the past few years and I'm convinced it's down to the Pill, since I'm only in my thirties and neither of my parents have hair-loss issues. It's not so much that you'd notice when it's down, but when I tried to do buns or an American plaits I'd notice my hair wasn't really thick enough for those styles anymore. I was on Yasmin, an anti-androgen pill, and I have a feeling that that type is bad for hair loss. I've switched now, so I hope it gets better.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to hear that Smith :(( The pill seems to be responsible for a lot of things :nono:
I think mine might be the opposite in that it is now shedding after I have STOPPED taking it. Weird!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Alex T|1374091805|3484943 said:
Sorry to hear that Smith :(( The pill seems to be responsible for a lot of things :nono:
I think mine might be the opposite in that it is now shedding after I have STOPPED taking it. Weird!

It's not weird at all - everyone reacts differently. My sister was instructed (by a doctor) to take the pill specifically to prevent the major hair loss that she was experiencing and the hair loss decreased when she was on the pill (as opposed to some people, who seem to shed more hair while on the pill).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry about the hair thinning/loss! My dermatologist recommended the GNC brand of hair/skin/nails and I have been taking it for a number of years. I think it is helping. He also said that it is not abnormal for women in their thirties/forties to have thinning hair! :o

Anyway I hope everyone who is experiencing this makes a quick and healthy hair recovery!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Mine's kind of subtle - you wouldn't notice when it's down. I just noticed when I was trying to do some different styles. I have no idea if it's being in my thirties or the Pill. Or even if I'm imagining it. But I have heard that the Pill can be responsible.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alex T|1374091805|3484943 said:

That kinda makes sense to me. Pill tricks the body into thinking that you're already pregnant by adjusting the hormones. I didn't lose any hair while pregnant, it only started after giving birth.

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
Besides hormones and nutrition, stress really affects my hair health. I have seen my hair break off before, and it was during very stressful times in my life. :roll:

Alex, my first reaction to your hair changes is that there is a direct correlation to the pill. Hormones are a delicate balance as you already know. I think you will be just fine! :wink2:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Take pre-natals. YOur hair will get thick and shiney. Only time my hair looked fantastic was when i was pregnant.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you everybody for your responses & thank you LA for the link :wavey:

when I washed it last night it hardly shed, which could be because I had worn it lose for the previous 48 hours, so the hair was free to shed as normal. I have been wearing it clipped up Jane Austin style since I went to Greece early June, as we came back to the same heat here in the UK, so its not as free to drop & then washed out in hand fulls :errrr: My scalp is needing a spray of sunblock daily, which was the warning all those years ago, but from all the reading I've done it seems to be pill / hormone related & should settle :sun:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Mom just told me about Biotin. She said it really makes her hair grow fast. Not
sure if it thickens hair but if you are going through a phase it might help.

I just picked up a bottle for myself. I'll have to let everyone know how it goes in a couple of months.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, tyty, please let me know how that goes. You must report back!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results