shape
carat
color
clarity

Older cut diamond...would you prefer a vintage/antique diamond, or a GOG August Vintage?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I can''t seem to figure out which I''d prefer...I''d love to hear your thoughts!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Ok me personally I would prefer an August Vintage. My reasons:

One, I''m not particularly sentimental about heirloom pieces, vintage pieces, etc. so a true vintage/antique doesn''t hold any greater appeal for me than a new piece (unless it''s a family piece).

Two, I love how RBs perform, but I''m really loving the chunky facets of the AVs. I love that the AVs combine the best of both worlds for me (again, personally): chunky facets and optimal light performance.

But I have a feeling I could be in the minority here
2.gif
There is a certain charm and appeal to a true antique stone that AVs can''t match (just because there is history there) but for me, I think I''ll always take the AVs because I value the light performance. Of course, some people like antique stones because they''re each individual and the slight wonkiness of cut and performance adds to their individual charm.

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
I''d go for the antique if it was hypothetical, but if I was looking at two actual diamonds, I''d go for the one that pleased me most in as many different lighting conditions as possible.

I like the idea of the antique better, but I would want the more beautiful stone, taking the age-factor out of the equasion.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2010 3:56:09 AM
Author: Mrs Mitchell
I''d go for the antique if it was hypothetical, but if I was looking at two actual diamonds, I''d go for the one that pleased me most in as many different lighting conditions as possible.

I like the idea of the antique better, but I would want the more beautiful stone, taking the age-factor out of the equasion.

My thoughts exactly!

I''m also a bit of a size girl, though, and the AVs seem to be pricier than an actual antique stone. So if size and price are important to you, I might lean towards the actual antique to get a bigger stone for less $.

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
I''d go with the August Vintage. Like brown eyed girl said I too am not terribly sentimental about heirloom pieces from people I never knew. If it was a family diamond that might be a different issue. But for me the august vintage has it all going on. The chunky facets of the vintage cuts with the light performance to compare with the best cut diamonds of our generation. What''s not to love?

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
LOL!
9.gif
........as I'm staring at my new ring that I found last night I contemplated this very thought! It has a half carat old european cut diamond in it. I love to think about where the diamond has been or what it may have "seen". The ring even has the built in old fashioned sizer hinges in it. For me the beauty of an antique is that it has lasted through so many years and that the cutters were able to make such a stunning stone without the help of modern technology.

ETA: I've been shopping at pawn and hole in the wall antique shops for so long that I can't bring myself to pay retail anymore
39.gif

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vintage for me. (Surprise, surprise, I know!) To me, older is better. That is just who I am. It applies to diamonds, to settings, to styles, to furniture, to houses, etc. etc.

I think there was a recent thread in Rocky Talk on this topic. I''m off to go look for it, but I am terrible at such searches here. I can never find the thread.

Minor t/j - Sparkly Blonde - Will there be a post in SMTR today on your new ring? Hint, hint.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I prefer the true antique. Not because of any romance or history, but simply because newly cut stones are just a bit too symmetrical for me.
2.gif

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
re: the culets on AVs -- I inquired about buying one when they were in development (unfortunately they weren''t ready at the time I was looking to buy, but hopefully someday I''ll get another shot), and Jonathan told me that based on early feedback, he wasn''t going to put a culet on the AV because (I''m paraphrasing) you can put one on but you can''t take one off. If a client wants an open culet, it''s easy to add one; it just involves grinding an extra flat facet on the bottom. But the default is that they have pointed culets because you can''t do it the other way around.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I''m starting to lean towards an AV because of the lifetime warranty that most of them come with. Has anyone had trouble with a vintage diamond chipping?

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/23/2010 9:44:33 AM
Author: Loves Vintage
Vintage for me. (Surprise, surprise, I know!) To me, older is better. That is just who I am. It applies to diamonds, to settings, to styles, to furniture, to houses, etc. etc.

I think there was a recent thread in Rocky Talk on this topic. I''m off to go look for it, but I am terrible at such searches here. I can never find the thread.

Minor t/j - Sparkly Blonde - Will there be a post in SMTR today on your new ring? Hint, hint.
probably this weekend. There still isn''t any light outside when I get home on the weekdays
7.gif

mekj1986

Rough_Rock
I personally love older cuts. in my ering I have my Grandmothers diamond which was second hand when she got it so its over a hundred years old, its not symmetrical, cut the side and so so sparkly its just so different

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of each!
11.gif

But seriously I would prefer a vintage transition cut.

HVVS

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/23/2010 6:09:15 PM
Author: IndyLady
I'm starting to lean towards an AV because of the lifetime warranty that most of them come with. Has anyone had trouble with a vintage diamond chipping?
Yes, but nothing major like losing a chunk. I wore a OEC in a 4 prong for a while. It has a very thin girdle and it picked up some "roughness" here and there, little chips. It's in a different setting now.

I was waiting with great anticipation for the new AV rounds to hit the market. But I didn't like the round blobs or petals in the center, nor the pastel colors those stones throw. In a small stone, like .5ct or under, I might like the AV round but for a larger one, I prefer the actual quirky antiques.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Much as I love precision cut gems, I think I''d prefer a truly vintage/antique. The quirks and the foibles that make it a relic of a given era are charming
1.gif

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d go for the "new vintage" diamond. It can be upgraded. The real antique stone can''t. Besides that, I''d like to attach my own memories and sentimentality to my diamond.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2010 8:35:17 AM
Author: Callisto
I''d go with the August Vintage. Like brown eyed girl said I too am not terribly sentimental about heirloom pieces from people I never knew. If it was a family diamond that might be a different issue. But for me the august vintage has it all going on. The chunky facets of the vintage cuts with the light performance to compare with the best cut diamonds of our generation. What''s not to love?

This! :) I''m actually just drooling over them now :)

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2010 10:05:43 AM
Author: Loves Vintage
I did find the thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/3-antique-rectangular-cushions-which-would-you-choose.135280/

Cheers!

ETA: Agree with purrfectpear re: the symmetry, which also does not appeal to me. Also, a question: I have not looked at many of these newer ''vintage'' stones, but the ones that I have seen do not have visible culets. Do any of them? I LOVE a visible culet, whether it be small (so cute) or large (a bit more dramatic), but must be visible!!!

Thanks for the link! I''m hoping to pick a diamond by the beginning of the summer as a graduation present from my parents. At the moment, I''m actually torn between a traditional cut and an antique diamond
26.gif
. The AV''s are gorgeous, but I haven''t found one on GOG that sings to me.

lightningbug

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/18/2010 10:51:35 AM
Author: yssie
Much as I love precision cut gems, I think I''d prefer a truly vintage/antique. The quirks and the foibles that make it a relic of a given era are charming
1.gif

+1.
3.gif

stci

Ideal_Rock
I prefer true vintage. Those diamond are treasure. Cut by hand with love and low light.

Each time I see an old diamond I imagine a cutter with a candle who works to cut the precious stone. This image is fantastic! I'm really in love with OEC and beautiful OMC!
30.gif
30.gif

Plus... the old settings are gorgeous cause I like romantic design.

luckynumber

Brilliant_Rock
Real vintage for me too.

though i wouldn''t kick an AVC outta bed for eating crackers...
3.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Real vintage for me too. The AVCs, I know, have better light return, but I also find them too symmetrical and I miss that round culet that makes my heart leap when I see it in an OMC. I''ve tried to love the AVCs but I just can''t; I can only admire them. The darling, chunky facets and the sweet round culets in an OMC just have a charm that really gets to me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results