shape
carat
color
clarity

Okay, I need some advice...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
My brother-in-law and his wife are old time hippies and pot smokers. They come down to Florida twice a year, and host a spaghetti dinner for me and my kids, the youngest of which is 19 now.

She recently told me that last year, after I went home, the in-laws said "All right, let's break out the weed!", and proceeded to smoke pot in front of my kids.

Now, bear in mind that my kids were 35, 28, 25 and 18 at the time. The way I look at it, if my older kids want to smoke pot with them, I don't have much say in it.

But my youngest daughter, 18 at the time, told me that her aunt-in-law (is there such a term?) said, "Come on, smoke with us", in trying to get my youngest to join her in partaking of the weed.

Now my daughter doesn't drink, doesn't smoke. She's a college girl, with drive and amibition which reminds me of her mother. She begged off, basically feeling like the odd person out, as almost the entire group (several other friends of the in-laws in attendance) partook.

But she adores this couple, who are the brother (and his wife) of my deceased wife. Both of them are fun loving, happy people that my kids love. Part of the reason they love them is because they have so much history with their mother, and they love to hear all the stories of "back in the day". They are a connection to my kids with their mother, like a portal looking back in time. My kids hang on their every word about their mother.

I also like the couple, and don't want to cause a family split. But I feel like they stepped over the line here. I feel like their behaviour is totally inappropriate. I'm really upset that they tried to get my precious daughter to partake with them. (I found out later that their own 18 year old son smokes with them).

So basically I'm feeling that this couple, who should be a role model for their son and my kids, are out-of-control in this area. My daughter told me all this in confidence, and would be horrified if I made a scene. But truthfully, I feel like going over there and shaking them and slapping them, saying "What are you thinking!" (they're here right now).

Am I over reacting? Am I an old fogie, out of touch? (It seems to me that marijuana will inevitably be legalized, like it almost is in California today). Should I keep quiet about this in the interest of maintaining family relations? Or should I call them out on it, at the expense of alienating my daughter by divulging something she told me in confidence?

brooklyngirl

Brilliant_Rock
It sucks that your IL's put your daughter in a crappy position, but it sounds like she handled herself very well. If she told you this in confidence, I think it's your best bet to keep it to yourself, as this is not worth causing a rift with the family over something that has already been resolved.

I hope you enjoy the rest of their visit!

ETA If you really want to have a talk with them, perhaps ask your daughter if it's ok.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope. Not overreacting. Whatever they chose to allow or not with their own child with regard to banned or illegal substances has no bearing on what their responsibilities are for another person's child in their care. I don't care that she was 18, and techinically an adult. As far as I'm concerned they are instigating (either negligently or willfully) illegal conduct from someone over whom they have a position of authority over and abusing that authority (negligently or willfully). It's basically contributing to the delinquency of a minor (except she was 18).... Not okay. Aside from that... they are your friends/family and she was in their care as a result of your, and your wife's trust.... she's your child they abused your trust, and hers, and probably if you want to take it there... the trust your late wife had in them for her child's care.

I'd be ticked. I'd call them, and very nicely tell them that you would appreciate it in the future that they not commit any illegal actions in the presence of your daughter. Whatever their feelings are for those laws, personally. OR, if you want to respect your daughter's age and intelligence. Have her call them, tell them they made her uncomfortable, and that SHE thought it was innappropriate, that she loves them... but that she would really appreciate it if they didn't repeat the incident in her presence. It will teach her a lot, and show her you respect her and trust her... while growing that steel in the spine of hers a little more.

I know you are wondering if you are overreacting because it's the "just pot" and she was 18. But you aren't. Substitute pot for cocaine or heroin... would you still think you are overreacting?

The point isn't the drug, or it's properties as an addictive substance or whatever. It's illegal. PERIOD. So the point is, the were committing a crime and inviting your daughter to witness, and participate. Not okay.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was going to type out this long post, but everything that Gypsy has said, I agree with 100%.
It is NOT ok, what your in-laws have done and are doing. If it were me, I would speak to them, very firmly. It is against the law PERIOD.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree with brooklyngirl. Was it inappropriate to ask your youngest daughter to smoke dope with them? Yes, but she made the right decision and your daughter told you about it in confidence. I think you need to honor that confidence. Plus, you don''t want to endanger your children''s link to their mother over something where no harm was done to your kids. Rejoice that you and your late wife raised a daughter who was willing to do what she believed was right and respected your relationship enough to tell you about it.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
The way I read it, you have a problem with them pressuring your daughter to smoke rather then them somthing in frount of your kids?

Can''t you just take them aside and quietly explain that while you don''t approve of them smoking in frount of your kids, should they choose to do so can they please not request or pressure your kids to join in. Explain that last time this happened it made your daughter feel very uncomfortable and you would rather they not offer her drugs or expect her to participate.

Dannielle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 1:47:49 AM
Author:Richard Sherwood
Should I keep quiet about this in the interest of maintaining family relations? Or should I call them out on it, at the expense of alienating my daughter by divulging something she told me in confidence?
I would not say a word, your daughter told you this is confidence.. I would not break that trust.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Richard, first of all, my condolences to you on the loss of your wife. And kudos to you for being such a caring and involved Dad.

Much to my distain, my son smokes pot. He''s 26 now but has been doing it since he was at school despite all my attempts to stop him. I don''t think it''s too far fetched to assume that most pot smokers started young. They all think it''s fine to do so ("Mum - for FS, just chill"). Of course it''s not OK for your in-laws to have done this. Your daughter deserves much respect for handling it the way she did. Very mature in my mind, an attitude that will only get better as she gets older.

I think you have to weigh up the potential fall-out if you do decide to take issue with your relatives. Given that your daughter has already diffused the situation what is to be gained (other than your own satisfaction) of taking them to task over it. They won''t understand your point of view - ever. You seriously run the risk of creating a rift between them and your kids, thus severing their last link (as they perceive) with their mother.

Sometimes less is more if you get my drift.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
sounds like she is adult enough to handle it so I would let her handle it.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Rich, I don''t think you''re overreacting with respect to being upset about it, but I would advise you not to say anything about it....for many reasons.

The most important is respecting your daughter''s confidence. You obviously have a good relationship with your daughter to the point that she''s comfortable telling you about the incident. That kind of communication stems from trust, and if you break her confidence, you risk altering that relationship with her profoundly. You don''t see these people more than twice a year, and they aren''t worth jeopardizing that relationship with your daughter.

Second, your daughter isn''t in any immiment danger. She was smart enough to decline, and no actual harm was done (save for the fact that your in-laws fell short on the role-model front). I''m sure she''ll have the strength to do so again if the situation presents itself again, especially if you''ve told her how proud you are of her for making the right choice and encouraging her to do the same thing if it comes up again. She has good instincts; encourage her to follow them and trust her to.

About the role-model aspect, the fact that they invite their son to join in tells me they clearly don''t view it as ''wrong'' from a role-model standpoint (as many of that generation don''t). She is 18 (not a child), and they may figure she does it anyway, so they likely don''t perceive they''re encouraging ''new behavior''. Beyond that, while they understand it''s not permitted by law, they likely don''t agree with it and don''t think it''s wrong. It''s unlikely you''ll change their viewpoint on it if you approach them. The "what were you thinking" tack will only likely produce a pacifying apology followed by a "what''s HIS uptight problem" reaction the minute you leave the room, so there''s nothing to be gained there either.

If you really feel you''re unable to keep a lid on expressing your unhappiness on it, there''s possibly a better way to do it. Next time you are with them and leave early to go home, leave something behind that you can swing back to retrieve. Show up 20-30 minutes after you''ve left saying "oh, I realized I left this here" so you can catch them in the midst of the behavior. Then you have license to express your discontent because of your discovery without tipping your daughter''s hand.

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
You have every right to be upset, they stepped over the line. You are not overreacting.

However, as said above, this was told to you by your daughter in confidence, and therefore I think you should keep it that way.

Anyways, I`m sure you`re very proud of how she handled the situation your in-laws put her in. You`ve got a strong daughter there.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder how your wife''s brother would think his sister would react to this? I''m guessing that since your kids don''t partake in this behavior that he would know their mother wouldn''t approve. As a mother of older, adult kids I sure wouldn''t appreciate it.

Good points have been made about not betraying your daughter''s disclosure to you; however, most parents would have a hard time keeping quiet about this. The fact that they do it in front of the kids is one thing - the fact that they encourage them to participate in illegal behavior is another.

You can count your lucky stars that they are able to say no to some favorite, older people in their lives. At that age, sometimes kids have a problem looking like the ''nerd'' in that type of situation.

Because of who they are and the circumstances of it all, I''d think long and hard about what I''d do. You don''t want to upset the whole teacart and ruin this relationship for your kids but at the same time, this is just plain wrong. Sooner or later, I''d have to bring it up and let my feelings be known. Even though they are grown, it''s hard to tamp down that basic parental instinct that causes you to protect kids in environments that you feel aren''t safe for them.

I find their encouragement to your kids shameful - no matter how well loved they are. Just my two cents.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
No I don''t think your overeacting I can see why your upset but on the otherhand what your daughter told you she told you in confidence as others have said is it worth breaking that confidence to bring it up, she sounds like a good kid and has a her head screwed on staight - it is awesome that she talks openly with you about things :).

I personally would not risk breaking that bond with my kid - better she tell you then not :).

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
you aren''t overreacting at all. I''m old school too and would be so pissed off if ANYONE was smoking pot or even cigs and tried to get my kids to do it. It''s one thing if they want to do it...that''s their business but to do it in front of others and try to get a minor to do it as well is over the line.

She did tell you in confidence so you don''t want to do anything to cause her pause in the future. When you see your extended family and if they bring up smoking in front of you...I would take that opportunity to just let them know how you feel about it.

GL

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think you''re overreacting, but I don''t think you should speak with them.

Your daughter is 18, which while young, still makes her an adult, and she certainly behaved like one. She stood her ground to people she loves (though she probably respects them less right now). She told you what happened in confidence, one adult to another, and expects you to keep that confidence. I''m sure she''s disappointed in them, but unfortunately part of growing up is seeing that our role models and those we love are human, too, and make mistakes.

You raised an incredible daughter, Richard, who can stand on her own and be trusted to make the right decision. I don''t blame you for being furious, but I think right now she needs you to just be the dad she can trust more than she needs you to be the dad that solves every problem for her.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Wow... It never ceases to amaze me how people behave!

You''ve gotten lots of good advice here, so I won''t beleaguer those points. I''ll just at my two cents as a parent of a teenage daughter. Spend your energy praising her choices and actions. She''s got good instincts which will continue to strengthen as she gets encouragement and love based on them. You are very lucky (although, I''m sure she''s a product of her parents) to have such a great kid. Let her know!!

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 4:36:09 AM
Author: chiquitapet
You have every right to be upset, they stepped over the line. You are not overreacting.

However, as said above, this was told to you by your daughter in confidence, and therefore I think you should keep it that way.

Anyways, I`m sure you`re very proud of how she handled the situation your in-laws put her in. You`ve got a strong daughter there.
Well said!

They''re adults and can privately do as they wish... with the potential consequences. To do it in front of your family is simply irresponsible. Fortunately, you have a daughter that not only refused to give in to peer pressure, but felt comfortable enough in her relationship with you to be open about it. Although a horrible situation, you should be very, very proud of her. You just can''t break that trust.

I could only hope that someday, I will have a child equally as strong.

Treefrog

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much for your advice everybody. I feel much better about things after reading your views.

So at least I know I''m not crazy. That''s a relief.

I tend to resonate with the posters who state that the bond I have with my daughter is more important than the passing situation. This bond is a special thing to me, one that I am very hesitant to damage.

There''s also the aspect of creating a possibly permanent family rift, with nothing really gained in doing so.

I''m thinking that the opportunity is going to present itself for me to make my feelings known without betraying my daughter''s confidence. I think I''ll wait for that opportunity.

Thank you again.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Richard, I know I''m late to this thread but I wanted to say:

- No, you are not crazy. I would be irate if I were you. And . . .
- I agree with Alj. Definitely the bond you have with your daughter is most important, and Alj''s idea to swing back to the house and give yourself an opportunity to react once you *see* them doing this is a great solution.

You''re being a caring father. I''m a 28-year-old married woman, but I am still my parents'' child. I imagine that regardless of my age, they will always feel the need to protect me from certain situations, and I respect and treasure that relationship. I imagine your own children would feel the same.

I''m so sorry for your loss, Richard.

And I''m sorry for your loss, SDL.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It seems like this is actually an issue about boundaries, than it is about weed. I've known some pot smokers who are like this. It's almost as if they need everyone smoking with them, so that they feel better about what they're doing? Classic peer pressure. I have to wonder about grown people who feel the need to impose such a thing upon young people..

Your daughter held her boundaries. You should be proud of her. Give yourself a pat on the back too because you gave her those skills. Just keep reinforcing her strength. She is allowed to make her own choices.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Richard,
I agree with everyone that you should be upset and that this is still against the law.I would wait to talk with them.But on their next visit I would remind them that out of respect for you and your wife that they refrain from involving ANY of your children in a un-lawful and un-heathy situation.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 2:44:23 AM
Author: rainwood
I agree with brooklyngirl. Was it inappropriate to ask your youngest daughter to smoke dope with them? Yes, but she made the right decision and your daughter told you about it in confidence. I think you need to honor that confidence. Plus, you don''t want to endanger your children''s link to their mother over something where no harm was done to your kids. Rejoice that you and your late wife raised a daughter who was willing to do what she believed was right and respected your relationship enough to tell you about it.
Ditto!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 11:51:55 AM
Author: Starset Princess

Ditto!
+1000.

your daughter handled this very well and this is a tribute to her upbringing. she is over 18. if she were under 18 it would be different.....but she''s not. i realize that its hard to quit being a parent but trust her judgement. i don''t think she confided in you for you to do anything but listen.....and receive your support for having done the right thing.

mz

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Actually it''s not illegal everywhere. In California less than an oz. is basically a jaywalking ticket, and I don''t even know anyone who''s ever received one.

Would I be happy about it? No. I would probably let them know it''s not OK with me until she''s 21, and leave it at that. I wouldn''t make a big deal out of it, because to me, it''s NOT a big deal. I smoked every day for the better part of 13 years while managing a law firm, driving without accident, etc. If there are short term memory issues with daily pot smoking I don''t remember having any (j/k). But seriously. It''s not a gateway drug unless you''re already happy to go down the path to begin with. I assume the oldster hippies are gainfully employed, not sprouting any extra appendages, or wandering the streets naked begging for their next fix? Just not a big deal.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 12:02:52 PM
Author: movie zombie
Date: 8/19/2009 11:51:55 AM

Author: Starset Princess

Ditto!

+1000.

your daughter handled this very well and this is a tribute to her upbringing. she is over 18. if she were under 18 it would be different.....but she''s not. i realize that its hard to quit being a parent but trust her judgement. i don''t think she confided in you for you to do anything but listen.....and receive your support for having done the right thing.

mz

+10000

You should be incredibly proud that your daughter is so mature that she a) did the right thing, and b) was truthful with you about it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 2:31:20 PM
Author: purrfectpear
Actually it's not illegal everywhere. In California less than an oz. is basically a jaywalking ticket, and I don't even know anyone who's ever received one.

Would I be happy about it? No. I would probably let them know it's not OK with me until she's 21, and leave it at that. I wouldn't make a big deal out of it, because to me, it's NOT a big deal. I smoked every day for the better part of 13 years while managing a law firm, driving without accident, etc. If there are short term memory issues with daily pot smoking I don't remember having any (j/k). But seriously. It's not a gateway drug unless you're already happy to go down the path to begin with. I assume the oldster hippies are gainfully employed, not sprouting any extra appendages, or wandering the streets naked begging for their next fix? Just not a big deal.
Not for the first time. I disagree with you PP. Your irreponsible behaviour is not license to give other's a pass for the same, or worse.

This didn't happen in CA. The issue isn't the nature of the drug.

The fact is its a betrayal of trust, and an illegal act, that put a youth in their care at risk, and in an uncomfortable AND ILLEGAL position.
20.gif

Although, you post above goes a long way in explaining quite about bit about you PP. It offers no, and I do mean NO, insight in this situation or any help to Richard. Although I have noticed the point of most of your posts does not seem to be to HELP other posters, but to affirm (for yourself I can only assume) you superiority over the rest of us mortals. Are you sure the 13 years of drug use you've damaged you in some way... you do seem to exhibit a remarkable lack of empathy... wonder if it's a side effect. Or maybe it's just you.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/19/2009 2:31:20 PM
Author: purrfectpear
Actually it''s not illegal everywhere. In California less than an oz. is basically a jaywalking ticket, and I don''t even know anyone who''s ever received one.

Would I be happy about it? No. I would probably let them know it''s not OK with me until she''s 21, and leave it at that. I wouldn''t make a big deal out of it, because to me, it''s NOT a big deal. I smoked every day for the better part of 13 years while managing a law firm, driving without accident, etc. If there are short term memory issues with daily pot smoking I don''t remember having any (j/k). But seriously. It''s not a gateway drug unless you''re already happy to go down the path to begin with. I assume the oldster hippies are gainfully employed, not sprouting any extra appendages, or wandering the streets naked begging for their next fix? Just not a big deal.
The penalty may not be severe in CA, but it''s still illegal. And I don''t believe this occurred in CA.

So it''s not a big deal to break the law? Interesting coming from the manager of a law firm.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Former manager of a law firm. I''ve moved on to aerospace contracting, it pays better
2.gif

I''m not entirely sure what the motivation for the personal attack was, but please reread my post. I did say that I would have said something to my relatives. I simply said I wouldn''t make a federal case of it, as clearly Richard agrees it is not his intent to do so. A few posters have said they wouldn''t say anything, so IMO I am being more agressive in discussing it with the relatives than some other posters.

Regarding the snark about whether it''s OK to break the law, certainly it is if you are willing to accept the consequences, or am I to believe you''ve never broken the speed limit knowingly, parked in the no park zone, etc. Obviously many people do not share my casual acceptance of pot, but here in California you''d be hard pressed to find 2 people out of 5 who have not partaken. Perhaps you think that''s what wrong with Californians
2.gif

Hey, you may be on to something
25.gif

There was no lack of empathy in my post. Perhaps Gypsy is "projecting" her issues?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I live in CA-- it's just fine out here. And surprisingly most people I know... pot free. Including me. And yes I went to college out here and have lived within 30 miles of the Haight and Berkeley for most of my life. There's no projecting PP. Just an observation that perhaps, if you dish it, and you DO dish it, you should be prepared to take it occassionally. The inability to do so is called hypocracy I believe. But then you would know better with your years of experience.

And you could be running NASA for all I care. Doesn't change my opinion of the tone of you posts.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Alj aka Birthday Girl is so smart. ITA with everything she said as well as her 'scenario' on swinging back around. Don't jeopardize your relationship with your daughter...though I could sense disappointment in your original post in the 'adults' in the situation and how they were behaving. Sounds like your daughter was the most responsible out of all of them.

Personally, I could see how this might color how I would view them were they in my family, esp given the special relationship they have with your kids and how much the kids seem to love them...and it would be hard for me not to say anything. You are right in that I think some opp while they visit will present itself for you to make your feelings clear enough but without betraying your daughter's trust. I have faith in your snake-charming abilities, Rich.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results