shape
carat
color
clarity

ok. I thought I never say this

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mymulan

Rough_Rock
You know all, I used to think, no diamond is ever too big for me....

but today.. My friends and I went to LA diamond district and we were at Capri Jewelers. We were shopping for another 2+ carat for my friend''s sister and while at it, Chris showed us an 11 carat RB IF stone... um....

First it was WOOOOOW... then it was...... it looks fake...the facets are so big... it didn''t shine as much as the 2.62 we were looking at..... then he showed us another 6 carat RB that my friend''s mom was looking for and that got the same response from me... sooooo I finally understand what you guys are talking about when you say Fancies look much better in bigger sizes than RBs....it was..... gawdy....but I got to touch it and I got put it on my hand.....so it was a good experience..and finally left without even being close to wanting it.... which has never happened!!! yeah!

widget

Ideal_Rock
I totally agree....I think bigger "honkers" in fancy cuts are much more attractive than giant RBs...

Of course, if someone wanted to throw a humongous RB at me, I suppose I''d be able to think of SOMETHING to do with it!!!
2.gif
3.gif
9.gif

widget

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I agree as well. They remind me of those candy diamond rings I used to suck on as a kid!! Like a giant, fake grape-flavored diamond!
18.gif
9.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/16/2005 11:44:22 PM
Author:mymulan
You know all, I used to think, no diamond is ever too big for me....

but today.. My friends and I went to LA diamond district and we were at Capri Jewelers. We were shopping for another 2+ carat for my friend''s sister and while at it, Chris showed us an 11 carat RB IF stone... um....

First it was WOOOOOW... then it was...... it looks fake...the facets are so big... it didn''t shine as much as the 2.62 we were looking at..... then he showed us another 6 carat RB that my friend''s mom was looking for and that got the same response from me... sooooo I finally understand what you guys are talking about when you say Fancies look much better in bigger sizes than RBs....it was..... gawdy....but I got to touch it and I got put it on my hand.....so it was a good experience..and finally left without even being close to wanting it.... which has never happened!!! yeah!
i think once you go above 5ct rb,you need to go with a cut that has extra facets. like solasfera or eighternity.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i agree, if i did something larger than 4c or so with a round (notice how it''s gone up from a 3c as my ''max''?!?! it''s a sickness!) i would go with something like a radiant, i think those are just stunning in the larger carat sizes, and i would get a light fancy yellow too instead of a colorless!

i have tried on a 5c oval and it just was way too big for my finger but i also think that shape would not be me! funny though how the older you get, the more you seem to accept the thought of larger rings. who knows what we''ll all want to wear 10-20 years from now!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Once one leaves their thirties behind, you are right Mara one feels more confident about gracefully floating about with a larger rock
31.gif
31.gif
If anyone wishes to donate a 5 carat + diamond to the new OBDC ( Older Broads Diamond Club) all contributions are now being gratefully received, if anyone has one they no longer need as they feel it is too age inappropriate
9.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2005 11:56:31 PM
Author: widget
I totally agree....I think bigger ''honkers'' in fancy cuts are much more attractive than giant RBs...
I really feel this way too!
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/17/2005 7:14:14 AM
Author: Jennifer5973

Date: 7/16/2005 11:56:31 PM
Author: widget
I totally agree....I think bigger ''honkers'' in fancy cuts are much more attractive than giant RBs...
I really feel this way too!
1.gif

Yup, like Jada Pinkett''s pear OMG
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
One of my all time fantasy rings!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
though actually i dont think i''d turn down Garry''s 15c H&A if it was thrown at me, that baby is SWEET.

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
DFire,

I can''t find the thread this sec. but I remember you posted a formula for selecting diamond carat in relation to ring size... like a size 5 finger can wear a 4ct. round brill or a 5ct fancy? I''m not sure I have it right...

Is this a real guideline?
34.gif

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/17/2005 4:56:41 AM
Author: Lorelei
Once one leaves their thirties behind, you are right Mara one feels more confident about gracefully floating about with a larger rock
31.gif
31.gif
If anyone wishes to donate a 5 carat + diamond to the new OBDC ( Older Broads Diamond Club) all contributions are now being gratefully received, if anyone has one they no longer need as they feel it is too age inappropriate
9.gif

OBDC... Love it!
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OBDC now taking new member subs
31.gif
31.gif
11.gif
11.gif
9.gif
- contact CEO Lorelei
3.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep - I''ve put you on the list Widget!!!!
31.gif
31.gif
30.gif

Club Motto - Big rocks always look good on older broads
31.gif

PRESIDENT - ELIZABETH TAYLOR

PATRON - HRH CAMILLA PARKER BOWLES DUCHESS OF CORNWALL

3.gif

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Hey, what''s the age requirement to join?!! I''m 25, how much longer do I have to wait???
2.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/20/2005 4:59:27 AM
Author: kaylagee
DFire,

I can''t find the thread this sec. but I remember you posted a formula for selecting diamond carat in relation to ring size... like a size 5 finger can wear a 4ct. round brill or a 5ct fancy? I''m not sure I have it right...

34.gif
yep.....that''s the formula.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Oh oh! Me too....
35.gif

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/20/2005 1:32:42 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

DFire,

34.gif

Is this from your own experience or is it a widely held ideal...like a secret/masonic jeweler''s aesthetic? :>

I''m not asking to be a pain(heehee) but because thinking of the different rings I''ve tried... it seems true!

Also, do halos and frames affect this(as far as total mm measurement/perceived size) or is it based on stones alone?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/20/2005 2:13:27 PM

Date: 7/20/2005 1:32:42 PM

DFire,

34.gif

Is this from your own experience or is it a widely held ideal...like a secret/masonic jeweler''s aesthetic? :>

I''m not asking to be a pain(heehee) but because thinking of the different rings I''ve tried... it seems true!

Also, do halos and frames affect this(as far as total mm measurement/perceived size) or is it based on stones alone?
Kaylagee
of course it''s true,you think i would lie?
9.gif
i''m talking about the center stone .i don''t know about the halos style rule.....heehee

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
15 YEARS Irish Eyes!!! - might make an exception in your case though as you have a poorly thumb!
9.gif

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/20/2005 2:47:21 PM
15 YEARS Irish Eyes!!! - might make an exception in your case though as you have a poorly thumb!
9.gif

Can I join under the early-admission program too? I only have 5 more yrs. to go ''til 40.
41.gif

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/20/2005 2:41:17 PM

Kaylagee

of course it's true,you think i would lie?
9.gif
i'm talking about the center stone .i don't know about the halos style rule.....heehee

LOL..nooo, not at all hinting at untruth, DFire.
5.gif

I suppose there's always a bit of a panic at the suggestion of a carat weight- size maximum.. It's inborn, I think. LOL!

So, a size 4.5 = 3.5 ct rb or 4.5ct fancy...

hmm...

What about the case of an EC vs Oval? You'd need more carats in the EC to get the finger coverage of an Oval, right? So does the law bend for this situation?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/20/2005 6:12:40 PM

Date: 7/20/2005 2:41:17 PM

Kaylagee

of course it''s true,you think i would lie?
9.gif
i''m talking about the center stone .i don''t know about the halos style rule.....heehee

LOL..nooo, not at all hinting at untruth, DFire.
5.gif

I suppose there''s always a bit of a panic at the suggestion of a carat weight- size maximum.. It''s inborn, I think. LOL!

So, a size 4.5 = 3.5 ct rb or 4.5ct fancy...

hmm...

What about the case of an EC vs Oval? You''d need more carats in the EC to get the finger coverage of an Oval, right? So does the law bend for this situation?
i think those falls into fancy rule but,you could always break the rule.
2.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
First off... I''m in on the club. Don''t need to be an officer, just a receipient of the donations...

And in regards to big stones... I was in my local jewelers recently, trying on everything in sight. (He carries LOTS of BIG stones). I tried on a 7.5ct ring, and said -- oh, thank god... It''s way too big for my hand. His response was..."yeah, for a week...."
11.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/20/2005 6:04:59 PM

Date: 7/20/2005 2:47:21 PM
9.gif

Can I join under the early-admission program too? I only have 5 more yrs. to go ''til 40.
41.gif
How could I refuse you - mind you the time goes so quick till you are blowing out 40 candles
23.gif
you will be in before you know it
7.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lorelei, I am in (40 in December) and I did upgrade, and believe in the shrinkage theory. I also do NOT like huge rounds, they look like a car headlight coming at you. I used to joke with my DH that as you get older (esp. past 40 when your vision close up tends to go) it MUSt be bigger so you can SEE the darn thing...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/21/2005 3:03:14 AM
Author: diamondfan
Lorelei, I am in (40 in December) and I did upgrade, and believe in the shrinkage theory. I also do NOT like huge rounds, they look like a car headlight coming at you. I used to joke with my DH that as you get older (esp. past 40 when your vision close up tends to go) it MUSt be bigger so you can SEE the darn thing...
Thanks DF I''ll try that, keep bumping into things and squinting at my ring and shrieking " oh no - the diamond''s missing", he races over panicking " NO IT''S STILL THERE " I say " oh good, must be my eyes then or the diamond has shrunk more likely". Just joking, recently upgraded to a 2 carat pear and I love it!! I believe in the shrinkage theory too, amazing how quickly your brain adapts to a larger size
31.gif
Hey in Dec you can join the new OBDC , there are some advantages to turning 40
11.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have something to look forward to! I got my upgrade as a 40th/15th wedding anniversary gift. I have a son turning 13 in November and am lucky I do not look 40 (though 40 is the new 30 or so I have heard!!!) No gray hair or major wrinkles, which is good cuz though I cna deal with hair dye, botox and knives scare me. I have no spiritual issue, mind you, I do think it is nice to grow old gracefully, and a bit of tweaking is okay...I just hate that Joan Rivers overly surgerized look. I think a new sparkly thing is great as a lift. I also tease my hubby that I do not want a rock on my hand and then have liver spots to detract from it. He says they will DISTRACT from them, which might be good since I have some sun spots or freckles that I HATE. I want to laser them off if it is not painful...they are nasty!!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/21/2005 3:20:57 AM
Author: diamondfan
I have something to look forward to! I got my upgrade as a 40th/15th wedding anniversary gift. I have a son turning 13 in November and am lucky I do not look 40 (though 40 is the new 30 or so I have heard!!!) No gray hair or major wrinkles, which is good cuz though I cna deal with hair dye, botox and knives scare me. I have no spiritual issue, mind you, I do think it is nice to grow old gracefully, and a bit of tweaking is okay...I just hate that Joan Rivers overly surgerized look. I think a new sparkly thing is great as a lift. I also tease my hubby that I do not want a rock on my hand and then have liver spots to detract from it. He says they will DISTRACT from them, which might be good since I have some sun spots or freckles that I HATE. I want to laser them off if it is not painful...they are nasty!!!!
That''s hilarious - I used to know this old lady who wore a fox fur etc - she had a 3 carat honker on her tiny clawed finger plus liver spots which added to the effect
14.gif
The diamond was bigger than she was
9.gif
I know I don''t want them either( Liver spots) luckily I don''t have any wrinkles yet, but am doing my darnedest to prevent them, sloshing on sunscreen every 2 mins
10.gif
40 is definitely the new 30, it''s just about making the best of what you have, women now can look great at any age, I don''t think I would go the surgery route - too much of a coward
32.gif
However I don''t think having sunspots lasered off would be too bad as they don''t have to do too many passes to get rid of them.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am only opposed (for myself) to anesthesia since it scares me to put myself under. Things go wrong, and for elective surgery why risk it? I will do anything that does not involve drugs, unless I get them after! Haha...Seriously, I have seen old women with arthritic none too attractive hands covered in jewels and it is not pretty. That''s why I wanted my upgrade while I could get it over my knuckle and enjoy it without looking like a mass of wrinkled liver spots with a diamond near by!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results