shape
carat
color
clarity

Oh NOES, gay sex is happening in Rio!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A straight reporter pretending to be gay on a gay dating ap to identify and out gay athletes in order to out them for a click-for-profit news site is horrible.
Horrible.

Many athletes are from countries where they could be jailed, executed even, for being known to be gay.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-37058787

US news website The Daily Beast has apologised for publishing an article that may have "outed" a number of gay athletes at the Rio 2016 Olympics.
Readers complained some athletes - who were not named but were identifiable from details in the article - were from countries with harsh anti-gay policies.
The reporter had described how he used online dating, including popular gay app Grindr, to get dates with athletes.
The Daily Beast said it had "screwed up" and later removed the article.
The story said athletes were using dating apps such as Bumble, Grindr, Jack'd, and Tinder to connect with other people at the games.
Their writer described how he used the apps and he got three dates within an hour, and detailed what some men wrote on their profiles on Grindr.
He also gave details of their height, weight, nationality, and a description of their profile picture.

According to gay lifestyle magazine Attitude, the reporter justified his presence on the app, saying he "didn't lie to anyone or pretend to be someone I wasn't - unless you count being on Grindr in the first place - since I'm straight, with a wife and child.
"I used my own picture (just of my face…) and confessed to being a journalist as soon as anyone asked who I was."
However, US Olympic skier Gus Kenworthy, who is openly gay, accused the publication of "entrapment", while Tongan swimmer Amini Fonua said The Daily Beast "ought to be ashamed".
"Imagine the one space you can feel safe, the one space you're able to be yourself, ruined by a straight person who thinks it's all a joke?"

mom2dolls

Shiny_Rock
Pull his credential and get him out of Rio. Men's lives are at risk by being outed! Not okay at all.
Nothing but malice when you pull a stunt like this. How can he state he was not lying?
This infuriates me, I apologize.

Q

Queenie60

mom2dolls|1471031140|4065239 said:
Pull his credential and get him out of Rio. Men's lives are at risk by being outed! Not okay at all.
Nothing but malice when you pull a stunt like this. How can he state he was not lying?

I say this!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jesus! That is terrible! I would not call this person a journalist. He should be ashamed. And his wife and kids? I can't even!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is absolutely horrible! Potentially endangering men by outing them just for clickbait is vile, and agree with others he should get credentials pulled. And "not lying"...what?! Him being on the site at all for meeting/dating MEN is a lie if he is STRAIGHT with a wife and kids. WTF?! This is so upsetting.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow that is really terrible. :blackeye:

His credentials should be pulled, and he should be made to issue a public apology.

Total invasion of privacy, even if not "technically" so.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I fear headlines of an olympic athlete returning home to a trial and sentence for being gay.

I wonder if there are some olympic athletes who can no longer safely return to their home countries.
If so, they should be granted political asylum in America ... with the American website "The Daily Beast" footing the bill.

The Daily Beast should sell that scumbag reporter's kidneys, eyes, heart, liver, hands, face, lungs, etc. to help pay the bill.
If he was acting on orders then more organs should be harvested and sold.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG it's well known half the swimmers and other athletes are all hooking up - the Aussie athletes are well known for their naughty behaviour, and a few return talking about who they hook up with so it doesn't matter if you are straight or gay, after the events are done these people are letting off steam so to speak. They are mostly all adults, on a holiday of a lifetime, I don't see why they should be stalked or their privacy invaded because some guy feels the need to do this, shame on him. I hope there is some kind of outcry on F/B and twitter with lots of personal attacks against him, so he can see how it feels to have his privacy invaded!!!! His name btw is Nico Hines.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A snip just taken from the daily beast website: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/08/11/a-note-from-the-editors.html

ARTICLE08.11.16 6:27 PM ET
A Note From the Editors
Today, The Daily Beast took an unprecedented but necessary step: We are removing an article from our site, “The Other Olympic Sport In Rio: Swiping.”
The Daily Beast does not do this lightly. As shared in our editor’s note earlier today, we initially thought swift removal of any identifying characteristics and better clarification of our intent was the adequate way to address this. Our initial reaction was that the entire removal of the piece was not necessary. We were wrong. We’re sorry. And we apologize to the athletes who may have been inadvertently compromised by our story.
Today we did not uphold a deep set of The Daily Beast’s values. These values—which include standing up to bullies and bigots, and specifically being a proudly, steadfastly supportive voice for LGBT people all over the world—are core to our commitment to journalism and to our commitment to serving our readers.

As a newsroom, we succeed together and we fail together, and this was a failure on The Daily Beast as a whole, not a single individual. The article was not intended to do harm or degrade members of the LGBT community, but intent doesn’t matter, impact does. Our hope is that removing an article that is in conflict with both our values and what we aspire to as journalists will demonstrate how seriously we take our error.
We were wrong. We will do better.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay, that is a win, lets hope that there was no damage/repercussion to the poor people it exposed.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
mom2dolls|1471031140|4065239 said:

I SO AGREE. I am LIVID at the thought of this arsehole thinking this was okay. THIS is Paparazzi IMO are some of the worst people in the world such arrogance. NO boundaries at all. They are just awful. No morals.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who cares if some of the athletes are gay? Which Olympic athletes are gay is no more interesting or newsworthy than an article on which athletes are straight would be. It's beyond embarrassing that they thought this was a good idea.

Deplorable. Everything about it.

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
How can supposedly intelligent people not consider how this could effect those from backward countries that do not except LGBT'S

This guy/company exes should be donating any of their ill gotten gains to an LGBT charity and face jail time if any of the athletes come to harm on return to their home countries - in my view it should be classified as manslaughter or malicious harm

If I was his wife he would be facing divorce I pity his children for having such an unenlightened father

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The damage is done. Removing the article won't undo the damage.

Regardless of the individual's nationality, that person might not wish to disclose their sexual orientation. Just because some countries don't have an issue with gays, doesn't mean that all gays want to discuss their personal lives with all friends, family, colleagues, etc. Is their right to privacy voided by being homosexual? I would hope not.

When people apologize only following an outcry against their actions, the apology is a bit lame in my opinion.
If they actually understood and believed their so-called values, they wouldn't have printed the article in the first place.
Wearing a t-shirt printed with 'I'm intelligent and sensitive', doesn't make it so.

I swear there is no common sense these days.

Of course, I'm of the silly opinion that if a person is well-recognized in their chosen field, be it acting, athletics, etc., there should not be a requirement to give up their privacy.

'Sorry, Johnny, you're an incredibly gifted artist, but your unwillingness to discuss personal, private details of your life means that you better pick a different career path.'

Right. :rolleyes:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, sorry, that letter isn't enough.

There's something annoying about it, too. Like if the letter is more about THEM and making themselves sound good
than it is about the people it affected.

I don't know what the right action should be, but they should be offering more.

Taking down the article and saying "we're sorry" isn't enough.

And saying it doesn't boil down to one individual and they as a whole are responsible is good - but that's even more reason to do MORE.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Disgusting that someone thought this was a good idea for an article.
Why do they even care that gays (or anybody for that matter) are
hooking up? None of their business!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I look at the letter as too little too late. The letter in my opinion is to try to make them look better. Everything about the whole situation is just wrong. The reporter is a disgusting human being. He knew exactly what he was doing and so did the paper.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results