shape
carat
color
clarity

Oh Dear - 1.5 Million collisions with dear

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
I have actually heard that before, just drive right into the deer! Don''t think I could do that!
They do scare me though!!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Yes, more serious injuries to drivers and passenger happen when one tries to advoid hitting. Living in the country it''s enivitable. We have hit three deer. You can not imagine the damage that happens. It''s not a fender bender. To be honest, you don''t have time to react. They come out of no where. Your best defense for yourself and the deer is to be aware. If you see one, you know there will be others.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Heads up to avoid the deer,

There a little funnel shaped cones that you attach to the front of your car...while in motion the air goes through this funnel and it makes a noise like a whistle that is audible to deer and they are alerted and stay away from the road. You can attach them inside the front grill...so you dont'' see them.

Auto part stores carry them. Cheap alternative to saving your life and the life your passengers.

...as well as the life of the deer!!

DKS

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The CNN article above (click on the OUCH) says they don't work.

snip:

In order to avoid such collisions, State Farm says drivers should use their high-beam headlights as much as possible to illuminate deer hiding on the side of the road and to not rely on car-mounted 'deer whistles,' which studies show not to affect the animal.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
That debate about the whistle is constant. All I know is that hubby has installed on his car - hasn''t had an incident since - but admittedly could be because of being more aware. But, but, the state troopers & the local sheriff office uses them.

So, I don''t know who to believe. At one point, our insurance carrier was offering a small discount on the collision policy if you had one.

Some people swear by them in practice.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
NJ has such a problem with dear...it is terrible. People die in those accidents, we were told in drivers ed to hit the deer because that way you had proof it was there. Bambi has become a giant rat in my mind. I wish we could kill more and use the meat to feed the homeless, not going to happen I know...

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
My husband hit one in is Toyota pickup and it totalled the truck! We also had one run into the very back of the car, and it walked away and didn''t do anything to the car...just barely clipped it. Still scary though!

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I would think that swerving to avoid the deer would be an instinctive response. By the time I would remember not to swerve, I''d be in the corn field!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/4/2005 2:37:23 PM
Author: Patty
I would think that swerving to avoid the deer would be an instinctive response. By the time I would remember not to swerve, I''d be in the corn field!
You would think; but, in our cases the deer came on SOO quick you didn''t have a response.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have a huge problem in Nantucket with the deer, add some fog and it''s a recipe for disaster.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After many years of avoiding them one got me 4 years ago. Totaled the car. I braked (locked wheels and left tread marks) and did a minor swere onto the sholder of the road. I have also swered onto the sholder before in succussfull attemps to avoid.

The problem is that many people swere way beyond the sholder. I have seen a number of cars in the ditch which includes roll overs - and the damage and injuries are substaintial at that point. Somehow instinctively I track the edge of the sholder and stay on it (and 2 of them have gotten me over the years - the first one was long ago).

I have also seen people drive into the oncomming lane and hit other vehicles head on in an attempt to avoid... not pretty at all.

Personally I think the best solution is to get a big truck with a huge wood plank bumper - and just run them down.... Less damage, and you have removed a hazard.

Until then. I am vigelent.

Perry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results