shape
carat
color
clarity

Off leash dog a menace

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Today I was walking around a lake with my husband and was sent flying into the air by an off leash dog. I think it was Newfoundland.

It was a fairly narrow trail in the woods, and the owners had passed us. We didn't know they had a dog lingering some 50 feet back. I guess when it lost sight of it's owners it decided to tear down the trail full on and took me out. Seriously. Took. Me. Out.

It hit me in the legs at full speed, and the hubbie says my legs were above waist high and I was parallel. Went down like a ton of bricks.

The thing was, the dog started to slow and then sped up again and just kept going. Like it made some kind of internal assessment that I could be taken down and then did so. It could have stopped or veered, but didn't. Just took me down.

Hit my teeth, landed on both arms, nailed both legs, smacked my very expensive glasses. I have a pre-existing back and neck injury from a car accident that is screaming right now. I hurt all over. Knees were hyper-extended and sore. Couldn't breath and had a brief period of blank (is that called LOC?).

A full-grown Newfoundland male can weigh 150 pounds.

I weigh 110 pounds and am very slight in build.

I have a lot of thoughts on this matter, but am too damn sore all over to say them.

Thanks for listening.

It was upsetting and scary.

I cried when I got home.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, honey, that's awful! It sounds like it caught you completely by surprise, was scary and painful, and could have been avoided were the owners responsible about watching their dog. I would be angry, which would be bad enough, but the fact that you are now in pain is even worse. I could definitely see you being jumpy for a while whenever you hear anything behind you on a path :blackeye: Sending healing dust for you and again, I'm so sorry.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1361084181|3382191 said:
Oh, honey, that's awful! It sounds like it caught you completely by surprise, was scary and painful, and could have been avoided were the owners responsible about watching their dog. I would be angry, which would be bad enough, but the fact that you are now in pain is even worse. I could definitely see you being jumpy for a while whenever you hear anything behind you on a path :blackeye: Sending healing dust for you and again, I'm so sorry.

Besides the thoughts above, I am genuinely impressed you didn't start to cry immediately, if for nothing more than the shock of it. I know I would have.

I am so sorry you had a fright and, on top of it, have aggravated a painful injury. Do you have a way to track down the dog's owners? They really should be made aware of the potential danger their dog is to passersby. :nono:

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
I wish you recovery Begonia, what an incredible shock to have to deal with.

The thing was, the dog started to slow and then sped up again and just kept going. Like it made some kind of internal assessment that I could be taken down and then did so. It could have stopped or veered, but didn't. Just took me down.

I think you assessed the situation very astutely with this. It actually seems like something people should be aware of. I wonder if the dog was in a bit of panic mode, unable to see it's owner and feared being abandoned.

Our two retrievers run flat out towards us when we call them on a large empty oval where we walk them. They always veer off though as they approach us.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Off leash dogs should be kept next to the owners, or at least where they can see them if there are other people around. (Different if you're in the wilderness alone, but not a park!) And then only if they aren't dog-aggressive in addition. I've had some very icky incidents with off-leash dogs -- after one, DH spent 90 minutes in surgery getting his hand put back together & Buck, my dog whom the other one attacked, another hour getting stitched up too. A dog may be the biggest honey on earth at home, but too many people go mentally into the ozone when they take them outside. Not fair to the dog either!

I'm so sorry that happened, Begonia! Something like that can really do damage. Hope you're mending -- dust dust dust!!

--- Laurie

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Begonia!!! that is wicked!! I'd be so angry right there and then and would not be able to contain myself until I got home! were you able to find the owners? and speak to them? or did they just vanish like the dog did?

That is SOOOO irresponsible!! We have had other threads like this about terrible dog owners and how their carelessness affects others - but things never seem to change, do they?

I'm hoping you are on the mend quickly and things improve for you. {{{HUGS}}} to you and DUST for a rapid recovery!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh Begonia, how frightening! :errrr: I am so sorry that this happened to you and that it has aggravated previous injuries (honestly, I think anyone would be in rotten shape after what you described, previous injuries or not!). I hope that you recover quickly and that you see this dog and his owners again so that you can tell them what happened. IMO, no dog should be off leash in a public park, especially if they are not within arms length of their owner.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, so sorry this happened to you.
I'm not one of those sue-crazy people but think there must be a legal liability here.
Dog owners are responsible for what their dogs do.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry that happened to you...

In my opinion no dog should be off their leash, EVER.

Sounds drastic I know, but that's what I really feel...too much risk - to other humans, to other dogs, and to the dog himself. Even if the dog is close to the owner, in a split second, that dog could react to something...

I would want to find the owners and I would ask them pay for any medical bills that arise from this - plus in general it's a good lesson for them to be aware of what happened/what can happen when their dog is not under 100% control.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Begonia, so sorry. You poor thing. I hope you heal quickly. I would hope that the owners of said dog cover your medical expenses. Guessing they didn't know what their dog did?

Hugs!! :wavey:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I think is interesting is the differences in approach to dog ownership. There are those that believe their dog needs to run and be free, and that they (the owners) are not responsible for what they don't see. So if their dog knocks someone down and hurts them and the owners aren't around, no one was hurt. Same for cleaning up after their dog, and fighting with other dogs.

As a responsible dog owner, I am stunned. There have been times when in the off leash park, there will be an aggressive dog with no owners around. I get my dogs under control and on leash just to get away, and the whole time I am looking for the dog owner. Half the time, I don't find them. Wow, nothing like responsible dog ownership. :nono: :nono:

How are you feeling today, Begonia?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Begonia|1361081583|3382169 said:
Today I was walking around a lake with my husband and was sent flying into the air by an off leash dog. I think it was Newfoundland.
A full-grown Newfoundland male can weigh 150 pounds.

Of course I don't know if it was a Newf, but a full-grown male Newf can be far larger than 150 pounds! Mine is 150 pounds, but he is small for the breed. He has taken me down many times, but I volunteered for the job! He does it now only when playing in the yard. I would not put it past a loose Newf to knock someone down, though. (I would be surprised at a loose Newf biting someone.)

I am really sorry this happened to you. I know from experience (before my big dog was well enough trrained) that if my Newf bolted in excitement while walking on a leash, I went down. And it wasn't fun then. Twice it happened on public streets. Once when he saw a female Lab he liked. I, like you, was banged up. Of course the owner(s) is/are to blame! You certainly didn't deserve to be the plaything of a Newf against your will. I am so very sorry!

Hugs,
Deb

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, so sorry that happened to you. I'm kind of surprised owners of a dog that big let it out of their
sight. Deffinitly an accident waiting to happen...oh wait, if did happen! Hope you heal soon.

I'd be really angry!

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
How awful! I am so angry for you! It's really unfair of the owners to be so irresponsible!

Hope you are feeling better and if you see the owners out walking again, you should say something! Don't be confrontational or angry or they'll become defensive, but they should be aware that their dog can really hurt someone and should not be off leash/unsupervised.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
That's awful! I'm so sorry that happened to you. It's completely ignorant of the dog owners to allow their dog out of sight like that. And I say this as a dog owner who takes her dog to the off leash multiple times a week. Just yesterday I met with my friend and her dog for our usual Saturday morning off leash walk. There are lots of joggers on the trails. Whenever one approaches, my friend makes her dog sit until they passed. Why? Because he's 80 lbs, not totally body aware and gets too close to other people sometimes. Even our dog obedience instructor warned us to keep our knees bent when dogs are running around playing. She tore her ACL because she got clipped by a dog playing. Point being, dog owners need to be aware of where their dog is at all times and what their dog's behaviour is like. A150 lbs dog should not be out of sight! Did you talk to the owners?

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone. Truly.

I'm kinda of weepy today. What's the deal with that? Is it the fear or taking a hard slam? Both? Gawd I hate crying. Whoever coined the phrase "a good cry"? I get all headachy, stuffed up and then am pretty much useless for the rest of the day. I irritate myself :lol:

I hurt all over. That's always the way with me. It takes 24-36 hours for the injuries to identify themselves. Mind you, I was pretty sore yesteday. Hello ES Tylenol.

The people came back (middle age couple, maybe 15 years older than us) and asked if I had fallen. Husband set them straight right away, as I was laying on my stomach and not really...conscious? They were very apologetic, but not once reprimanded the dog. Fat lot of significance it would mean to the dog at that point, but still for my benefit perhaps? Just kept saying that he is usually very gentle. Gentle has little to do with it. They were walking him negligently. Had he hit me from behind, I could have hit my head, and could have suffered a brain bleed. What if he had hit my 10 year old, 60 pound son? I was airborne, what would have happened to him? It is just truly scary what happened yesterday.

The dog did lose sight of it's owners and panicked, which is why, I believe, he chose to plow through me, rather than go around. He went instinctual for his breed/being a dog/whatever.

I do have their names...at least I think I do. I haven't checked if the names are real or bogus. I will be phoning the regional district that manages the park tomorrow when they open. They have been discussing have a no off-leash rule for just this very reason - too many injuries from off-leash dogs.

I won't be walking there again until I know that the dogs must be leashed.

Be very careful if you find yourself where off-leash dogs are running. This could have ended up so much worse. Being body-slammed is no picnic.

Thanks for the feedback and for listening :blackeye:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Glad to hear from you today, Begonia!! yes indeed, Tylenol ES, or motrin or advil... keep them close at hand!

I'm so relieved that you and DH were able to speak with the owners and (hopefully) get their names and FOR SURE, call the authorities tomorrow to tell them about your situation. This helps the city/region develop policies if they hear from citizens. Otherwise, they assume all is well and good and no changes need be made.

You're right - the dog wouldn't have known or learned from a fuss at that point, but I too agree, a little reprimand just for show would have helped the wounded ego, if not the wounded body!

Take it gently, dear Begonia, and go slow... recovery to a jarring incident can have hidden repercussions that do take a while to show up. Don't push yourself.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww, I hate this for you! Of course you have every right to be both weepy and sore. You were completely caught off guard by a huge (and unknowingly, dangerous) furry missile! Not only were you hurt, but it was unexpected and its highly likely you're experiencing PTSD :(sad Hang in there. At least I'm glad the owners came back and spoke to you apologetically. I hope with some time to think, they'll realize the error they made in not keeping the dog close and within site.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Begonia, that's awful. I think anything like that would be traumatic for anyone, regardless of background, being an animal lover, whatever.

Off-topic ... I got attacked on the subway by a crazy lady once. I wasn't even badly hurt - like, a black eye and a couple of scratches - AND I thought of myself as a badass who had plenty of experience. But it happened so fast and unexpectedly, I was still shaky for the next few days, and suspicious to the point of paranoia of anybody who gave off similar signals for years. YEARS.

Being attacked, by man or beast, deliberately or accidentally, is no picnic. Take it easy on yourself, and do whatever you need to do to feel safe. If that's campaigning for leash laws, carrying a safety whistle, going to therapy, whatever - do it. You deserve to be comfortable in your own skin.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your kind words and concern...just when I had made up my mind to stop complaining about stuff. Then I start in on this. I felt like I needed some feedback though...a wee bit of trauma that won't be shaken off I guess.

I have been given the runaround from the different regional authorities. Essentially unless the dog aggressively attacked me and bit me, or unless I was seriously injured (broken bones or worse), there is not much they can do. They can issue a ticket for the dog running "at large". That hasn't been done yet, as no one wants to accept my complaint. There are only 2 parks in our whole area that require dogs to be leashed.

I agree with dogs being off-leash, but only in certain areas. Fenced dog parks perhaps? Those don't exist around here, or not in my observation. I do not agree with dogs being able to run free otherwise. Not after this. Some people at local parks have 3-5 dogs running ahead on the trails. Liability is difficult to enforce. I suppose if I had actually broken something, I could pursue a personal injury case, but have already been through one of those after a car accident. I should have gotten counselling just for going through that. It was an awful experience, that I'd rather not repeat. I don't have any broken bones, which is a pity in some respects, because it's those soft tissue injuries that don't always go away.

It was a Burmese Mountain Dog. I looked them up, and no way was that dog only 90-110 pounds. It was as big as my neighbors Newfie...I'm not sure if they breed them larger, or it was a big specimen? He was really flying, so perhaps that would explain how I was airborne...

Unless they change the bylaws, I can't walk in that park again - one of the biggest, best parks/trail systems in our area too.

&%$#*%$# :angryfire:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate it when you are so clearly in the right, and the system can't handle it. When that happens to me, I feel like such a squeaky wheel, when I'm actually not asking for much. Its gotten to the point where its about liability only and until their insurance rates go up, they often don't respond. :((

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Begonia|1361223886|3383465 said:
It was a Burmese Mountain Dog. I looked them up, and no way was that dog only 90-110 pounds. It was as big as my neighbors Newfie...I'm not sure if they breed them larger, or it was a big specimen? He was really flying, so perhaps that would explain how I was airborne...

Bernese Mountain dogs are not among the Giant Breeds and are far more common than Newfoundlands. When I had my oversized Lab we lived on a street with some Bernese Mountain dogs that were the same size he was. (He was 110 lbs of muscle...way too big for breed standards.) I have, however, seen one or two Bernese Mountain dogs that are almost as large as my current Newf. As kenny likes to say, "people vary", and just as my Lab could be huge and 110 pounds without being fat...so could some of those Bernese Mountain dogs be the size of Newfoundlands. You can't argue with what is!!!

I am glad that it wasn't a Newf that knocked you down. I am sorry you were knocked down by a wayward Berner, but at least they weren't bred for rescue the way that Newfies were!

Deb
:read:

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Whoops...Bernese.

Blame it on the tylenol.

And, I looked it up! :lol: :lol: :lol:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Begonia|1361238307|3383805 said:
Whoops...Bernese.

Blame it on the tylenol.

And, I looked it up! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ahhh...if only the Tylenol had the same effect of, say, a Margarita! Then it would be worth a little confusion! :lickout: It's so good to see you have your sense of humor.... Thank God you are on the mend!

Hugs,
Deb
:wavey:

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Oh Begonia! I feel for you, literally :sick: I was knocked down full force last week on Tuesday, by my own 100lb dog. He was on leash and normally walks quite nicely. He got excited and took off with such strength I was running with a deathgrip on the leash and fell down, really hard on concrete. Knocked the wind out of me for what seemed like forever, 5 minutes maybe? I could not move, period. My limbs were paralyzed. He laid down next to me and put his nose in my face. I thought I was going to die, trying to catch my breath. I am still suffering, major pain in my rib cage, right arm & hip. I'm living on tylenol and ibuprofen. DH wants me to get xrays to see if my ribs are fractured, I can't bend over without severe pain. Blah :(sad

At least it was my own pooch who did it though. So sorry you were traumatized! I'll be thinking of you. Hope you are better soon!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
woofmama|1361243416|3383916 said:
Oh Begonia! I feel for you, literally :sick: I was knocked down full force last week on Tuesday, by my own 100lb dog. He was on leash and normally walks quite nicely. He got excited and took off with such strength I was running with a deathgrip on the leash and fell down, really hard on concrete. Knocked the wind out of me for what seemed like forever, 5 minutes maybe? I could not move, period. My limbs were paralyzed. He laid down next to me and put his nose in my face. I thought I was going to die, trying to catch my breath. I am still suffering, major pain in my rib cage, right arm & hip. I'm living on tylenol and ibuprofen. DH wants me to get xrays to see if my ribs are fractured, I can't bend over without severe pain. Blah :(sad

At least it was my own pooch who did it though. So sorry you were traumatized! I'll be thinking of you. Hope you are better soon!

um.... YES!!! Go get x rays!!! Holy cow, both of you have really taken quite the hits lately (no pun intended) and please look after yourselves and be gentle...

Woofmama --- listen to your DH on this one!! I agree - better to be checked out and feel foolish for over reacting, than have something wrong that could cause complications. Need you to be in tip top shape in April.... ;))

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I'm shocked that dogs are allowed to run off-leash at public parks in your city! There are a few designated off-leash parks in our city, but everywhere else, dogs *must* be leashed. I feel its really unfair that dog owners are given preferential treatment--it seems really unfair that people have to be unwillingly exposed to other's dogs. It also seems like a huge liability for the city!

I know a couple that has 2 Bernese Mtn dogs (both female) and they seem bigger than 110lbs. They do have a lot of hair, though, which might make them look larger. Also, dogs are more powerful than a human of a similar size. A 90lb dog (or even smaller) is strong enough to hurt a person twice their size--especially when s/he has that kind of momentum. Our 85lb dog has almost pulled me off my feet on several occasions when I had him securely on a leash and collar. Ultimately, dogs are animals--they have instincts and they do not behave according to human's social mores. Because of this, they should be supervised at all times--for their own safety, as well as for people and other animals.

Dealing with bureaucracy is so frustrating--I feel for you. Last year my neighbor's dog breeched our shared fence and killed my dog in my own back yard. I filed a complaint with animal control, but nothing came of it. I was given the same kind of apathetic response: they won't do anything unless the dog bites a person or injures/kills 3 domestic animals (and the attacks reported). It made me feel really helpless not to be able to prevent a similar incident from happening.

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
Oh so sorry Begonia! :( And Woofmama!

Begonia, I know that the dog caught you off guard but carrying a citronella spray may make you feel safer. We've been attacked by other off leash dogs on our dog walks and now carry Animal Shield (citronella) and Mace just in case. Plus my cell phone to animal control, on speed dial. Dogs hate lemon scents and the citronella spray is non toxic, it just gets them to back off. I have it clipped somewhere I can grab it, and I have it set to spray when I'm walking. I can grab it in 2 seconds and have done so.

Slight off topic yet still on topic rant. I. hate. off. leash. dogs. with a menace. My dogs can't be off leash because they're runners (as most siberians are) and people just don't get that I don't want their dog jumping on my dog's head while he's on leash and their dog isn't. Or bark incessantly in their faces in a menacing manner (it's aggressive, folks - not cute, even in a tiny dog). Or let their dogs poop and don't pick it up because they're 50 yards ahead of their dog. We're here to hike, it's not a goddamn dog park. I constantly remind people of the etiquette when they overstep it - have your dog on a 6 foot leash or under verbal control within 6 feet of you. If you cannot manage either, go home. I'm amazed at people's rudeness. In addition to their dogs with rude doggie manners.

I hope you feel better soon and I am so sorry that you can getting the run around. :( I can only hope the owners are mortified and won't be letting him off leash again.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Woofmama, please go get ex-rays! It sounds like your dog knew something was terribly wrong - I wonder if he knew that he was responsible for it?

I love the idea of citronella spray, though I doubt I'd be able to get it out in time. It makes me wonder if one could do something proactive like rub it all over like bug repellant in hopes that it would keep dogs at bay?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tuffyluvr|1361252039|3384017 said:
Dealing with bureaucracy is so frustrating--I feel for you. Last year my neighbor's dog breeched our shared fence and killed my dog in my own back yard. I filed a complaint with animal control, but nothing came of it. I was given the same kind of apathetic response: they won't do anything unless the dog bites a person or injures/kills 3 domestic animals (and the attacks reported). It made me feel really helpless not to be able to prevent a similar incident from happening.

Wow, tuffy, that's awful. 3 lives have to be lost?!! And do you have to show up with the dead bodies as proof? :roll: :roll: That is one of the stupidest things I've heard.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results