shape
carat
color
clarity

NYCers

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I'm so excited - I've just made all the final bookings for our holiday this year. Due to my uni return, we've toned things down from previous years and will be spending the majority of our time with relatives for Christmas. However, we're still squashing in a week in Hawaii on the way there...and a week in NYC for NYE!

Neither of us have ever been to the Big Apple, so we're obviously over the moon to finally experience such an iconic city. :bigsmile: DH is already dreading the diamond district, lol. :Up_to_something: Do any PSers want to keep me company on a shopping trip so he can sit in the hotel room and read a book, like he'd much prefer? We'll be there 12/28 - 1/4. I know many will have family commitments at that time of year, but thought it would be worth asking since so many awesome PSers live in this particular corner of the world.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would be up for it! You are going to LOVE NY at the holidays - the whole city is so into it, it's awesome. Just remember when you're planning, the diamond district is pretty dead from Fruday evening through the weekend, and NYE and NYD are, respectively, a Tuesday and Wednesday (which will probably put that Monday into iffy territory). But you've got time to play with!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1373554055|3481026 said:
I would be up for it! You are going to LOVE NY at the holidays - the whole city is so into it, it's awesome. Just remember when you're planning, the diamond district is pretty dead from Fruday evening through the weekend, and NYE and NYD are, respectively, a Tuesday and Wednesday (which will probably put that Monday into iffy territory). But you've got time to play with!

Ahhhhh, Circe! I'm so excited! My two best friends from home (who are married) are even ducking up for a couple of days to ring in the New Year with us in TS (yes, we're doing the overpriced, hokey, tourist in the restaurant thing -- unless you've got a hot tip for the night!). The tree and the shops and the food and the cabs and the Rockettes and Broadway and the DIAMONDS. There's so much to look forward to that my mind can't seem to process it all properly!

Good tips on the days. I guess Thursday or so might be best? I'd love to meet you and soak up some of your wit and wisdom in person! :appl:

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Oooooo I want to come!!! Might plan a little trip. I'll let you know. :)

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I went last summer and it was ACE. I did a whole bunch of touristy stuff but it was all awesome (even went up the Empire State Building).

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So long as I'm not working that day, I would love to meet up!!! :appl:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rosebloom|1373554736|3481034 said:
Oooooo I want to come!!! Might plan a little trip. I'll let you know. :)

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTT!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I wanna come!!!

NYC really is spectacular around the holidays - and I'd love to meet you ginger, and rosebloom and Pinto, and see Circe again ::)

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
justginger|1373554581|3481032 said:
Circe|1373554055|3481026 said:

Ahhhhh, Circe! I'm so excited! My two best friends from home (who are married) are even ducking up for a couple of days to ring in the New Year with us in TS (yes, we're doing the overpriced, hokey, tourist in the restaurant thing -- unless you've got a hot tip for the night!). The tree and the shops and the food and the cabs and the Rockettes and Broadway and the DIAMONDS. There's so much to look forward to that my mind can't seem to process it all properly!

Good tips on the days. I guess Thursday or so might be best? I'd love to meet you and soak up some of your wit and wisdom in person! :appl:

Thursday the 3rd sounds great to me! I will put it into my calendar - the first appointment of 2014! I think it's a good omen. :naughty:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Heheh I will be there that week too visiting relatives. We are just outside the city, but I can take the train in which is only 20 minutes. I would love to do some shopping. Plus I want to meet Poppy!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Ok now this is just getting too good. Circe, JustGinger, Sarah, Yssie, Pinto Bean?! Need to make this happen.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
RB- I know right ;)) . I need to check with DH that he doesn't mind watchign the kids with his family for a little while. I can just see how much Yssie and Ginger would love me/ us showing up with our toddlers in tow! We took the kids into the city last year on Thanksgiving weekend- I will never again bring toddlers into the city to window shop during their crazy holiday business season. While we had no major breakdowns I will say that DH and I only enjoyed the moment it pretty much ended! :-o

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Heheheh - yeah, bringing a toddler to the jewelry district is always an adventure. They think it's better than a candyshop - all the goods are shiny! And mine is so used to teething on my diamonds that it can be hard to explain that, no, other people's are off limits. The only way I've ever managed is in an Ergo or a Bjorn.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Children + diamonds = disaster. At least my children! :lol:

I'm in the process of recruiting the grandparents to come with us so I'd have plenty of childcare options. And maybe Mr. Rosebloom could even come too - I think, ahem, seeing your collections could help put my wish list in perspective. :naughty:

This would be so fun!!!!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1373568201|3481176 said:
Heheheh - yeah, bringing a toddler to the jewelry district is always an adventure. They think it's better than a candyshop - all the goods are shiny! And mine is so used to teething on my diamonds that it can be hard to explain that, no, other people's are off limits. The only way I've ever managed is in an Ergo or a Bjorn.

Ahhhh yes thank goodness my 20 month old now has all her teeth becuase we are over that stage. My MIL didn't seem to mind her slobbering on her diamonds but besides that I have found myself apologizeing to a few friends over an incident like this. :oops:

k_darling

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I'd go! Where are you staying? I'll give you some recommendations near your hotel.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Toting the various familial rugrats around earns freebies at the bakery - doesn't it work the same with diamonds? :naughty:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I'm so excited to see how many people might be able to catch up - a mini GTG!

We've booked into an UWS hotel - tempted to stay right in the TS locale for ease of getting back 'home' after NYE, but decided to stay somewhere more relaxing. With public transportation, it should be fine, hey?

What a treat - there will be some of my favourite pieces of jewelry along for the ride. I am especially looking forward to your five stone, yssie. I've been picturing that baby on my hand for some time now! :love:

Edited: correcting yssie's stone count :wink2:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1373574342|3481269 said:
I went from Christmas to New Years a few years ago and did the City Pass http://www.citypass.com/new-york?si...&matchtype=b&gclid=CPy64ueiqLgCFWQ6Qgod5lQAiw. It saved us on admission, but the biggest value was bypassing all the lines on the busy holiday tourist seasons. New Years Eve atop the Empire State Building was priceless.

edit: weird, why isn't the link working? google "city pass new york"

Great tip, madelise. Anything that saves me time in a jam-packed week is awesome! :wavey:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
SB621|1373567771|3481169 said:
RB- I know right ;)) . I need to check with DH that he doesn't mind watchign the kids with his family for a little while. I can just see how much Yssie and Ginger would love me/ us showing up with our toddlers in tow! We took the kids into the city last year on Thanksgiving weekend- I will never again bring toddlers into the city to window shop during their crazy holiday business season. While we had no major breakdowns I will say that DH and I only enjoyed the moment it pretty much ended! :-o

Honestly, despite not being certain I want to have children of my own, I love kids! If you have to, or want to, bring them, it's no worries for me. I can hold hands to cross the roads with the best of them, and baby drool just gets wiped on my pants next to the dog drool. :bigsmile:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SB621|1373560913|3481106 said:
Plus I want to meet Poppy!

I need a few photos as well as maybe a video clip of both of your antique diamonds dancing in the light together.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
justginger|1373598440|3481558 said:

Honestly, despite not being certain I want to have children of my own, I love kids! If you have to, or want to, bring them, it's no worries for me. I can hold hands to cross the roads with the best of them, and baby drool just gets wiped on my pants next to the dog drool. :bigsmile:

Oh, Ginger, you're so sweet (and obviously the world's greatest aunt). However, I would be completely distracted if they were along. So I'll bring a cute picture of them to share and will leave them with the grandparents! If I'm able to make this work, it would be the highlight of my year, so I don't want to be distracted. I don't worry that I would fail to appreciate the jewels - rather that Adam at OWD would have to adopt them when I accidentally left them there! :)

Is it bad that I was already fantasizing about the group picture - Poppy, Venice, Yssie's five stone, Circe's anniversary ring and bands galore and Strawberry Delight, Missy's Bea if she can make it, and on and on!!!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Rosebloom|1373598901|3481562 said:

Oh, Ginger, you're so sweet (and obviously the world's greatest aunt). However, I would be completely distracted if they were along. So I'll bring a cute picture of them to share and will leave them with the grandparents! If I'm able to make this work, it would be the highlight of my year, so I don't want to be distracted. I don't worry that I would fail to appreciate the jewels - rather that Adam at OWD would have to adopt them when I accidentally left them there! :)

Is it bad that I was already fantasizing about the group picture - Poppy, Venice, Yssie's five stone, Circe's anniversary ring and bands galore and Strawberry Delight, Missy's Bea if she can make it, and on and on!!!

Oh JG you are such a sweetheart, but I totally concur with RB. If I brought my kids I would be busy chasing after them. I want to ENJOY myself when meeting you guys not worry that one of my young ones eating Yssie's 5 stone because they mistook it for an exotic vegitable. Trust me when I say I'm a much nicer person when I got relax and oogle the bling!

And yes for Group Photos!!!!!!!!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rosebloom said:

Ooh, how exciting Ginger!!! I hope I will be able to make it...I would just love to meet all of you! And I would love to meet the PS kids too if for some reason you guys change your mind...though I have none of my own I really enjoy the company other people's children. :appl:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
missy|1373634750|3481706 said:
Rosebloom said:

Ooh, how exciting Ginger!!! I hope I will be able to make it...I would just love to meet all of you! And I would love to meet the PS kids too if for some reason you guys change your mind...though I have none of my own I really enjoy the company other people's children. :appl:

:wavey: Missy! I was very much hoping you'd pop in here and say you'd come. I'd really love the opportunity to meet you. :))

Circe, you've made the date for Thurs the 3rd...but Thurs is the 2nd. Is that still ok?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
D'oh! Danged Swedish calendar (they start the week Monday vs. Sunday and it throws me every time). The 2nd is better yet. :)

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rosebloom|1373598901|3481562 said:

If y'all like Chinese food, I know the perfect restaurant for a photo shoot. Great food, less than ten blocks from the jewelry district, and they've never once batted an eye at any weird celebratory thing I've done (been going there since I was 13, and have literally celebrated every single Big Occasion in my life there, from high school graduation to engagement). Since they have lots of nooks and crannies, we probably wouldn't attract too much attention, either.

Also, I've never had a piece of jewelry with a name before, but I think you just christened the new ring. Too fitting!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
justginger|1373638707|3481738 said:
missy|1373634750|3481706 said:
Rosebloom said:

:wavey: Missy! I was very much hoping you'd pop in here and say you'd come. I'd really love the opportunity to meet you. :))

Circe, you've made the date for Thurs the 3rd...but Thurs is the 2nd. Is that still ok?

I really would love to meet some of my favorite PSers that are coming! I can for sure make the 3rd...not sure about the 2nd though but don't change plans just for me but just wanted to throw that out there early in case you guys can do the 3rd without any problems I'll be there for sure! I can also do the 29th or 30th too so just sayin. :wavey:

cm366

Shiny_Rock
Hey, is this still on? If so, are random newbies welcome? I'd love to see some of those sparklers in person, and it'd be a lot of fun to take a stroll through the diamond district...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results