shape
carat
color
clarity

NYC Show Suggestions

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you been to any great shows lately you would recommend? We are headed there in June.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
One of my all time favorites was Wicked, but that's been out for a while, so you may have seen it already.

I saw Kinky Boots back in December and just loved it!

Last week, I finally saw Phantom of the Opera and also Gentlemen's Guide to Love and Murder. Both were fantastic as well.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Finding Neverland has been getting a lot of attention; haven't seen it personally yet, but it's on my list!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely Wicked if you have not seen it. I was surprised at how much I loved it! Phantom you have probably seen...it was good but not so great that I'd want to see it again. I saw the traveling show of Jersey Boys, and it was good but not great.

Of the shows playing now, I think I might want to see Finding Neverland, An American in Paris, and Gigi. But I have not seen reviews of those yet. (And I mean regular people reviews, not critics.)

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I was looking at the write ups about Kinky Boots.

We've seen Wicked, Phantom, The History of Motown, Stomp, etc...

Jersey Boys is a thought and a show called The Fish in the Dark peaked my interest. The Gentlemans Guide to Love and Marriage also a possibility. I got the head shake from DH when I suggested Neverland. :nono: I thought it would be fun. :bigsmile:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, Hamilton isn't a possibility for you because today was its last, off-Broadway performance at The Public & July 13 is the first Broadway performance. I think the best Broadway musicals currently running are On the Town (with the welcome bonus of a live, 28-piece orchestra), On the 20th Century, and A Gentleman's Guide. Billy Porter is now back in the lead role in Kinky Boots -- and he IS wonderful! (My own pleasure in Kinky Boots was sorely diminished by the poor sound engineering, altho' maybe that's been improved, and the lame songs that sounded like those that summer campers would come up with when putting on a show; still, Kinky Boots is a feel-good, crowd-pleaser for most everyone.) Don't feel badly that your husband is shaking his head at Neverland; through no fault of the performers, it is a pretty awful, leaden mess.

For a play and for something less frothy, more substantial, consider The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

In case you don't already know, discount tickets for many Broadway and off-Broadway productions are available via Broadway Box. Means you can avoid waiting in line at the TKTS booth, plus you get to pick your seats with Broadway Box:
http://www.broadwaybox.com/shows/tickets/broadway/discounts/

And here's a handy seating guide to all the Broadway theatres, like Seat Guru for airline tix:
http://www.entertainment-link.com/broadway-theaters.asp

June is a great time of year to be here in NYC, wishing you much fun!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Molly! Thank you so much! You mentioned "On the 20th Century" and I have that on my short list. DH knocked The Fish in the Dark off the list after reading a couple of reviews so I was happy to see this one in your recos. Thank you for the ticket purchase info. I would have used ticket master. :-o

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi MayK, have you seen Avenue Q? We saw it a very long time ago and it was excellent. Not sure of the cast in the show now but if you haven't seen it I recommend it. Hilarious! And still affordable for tickets compared to many shows.

http://www.avenueq.com/about.html

You already saw one of my favorites (Wicked) and while we liked Jersey Boys we didn't love it.

We did not love Book of Mormon. Didn't find it as funny as advertised and I am not sure what all the brouhaha is about but we are not the only ones who feel this way because after we saw the show I was confused because so many people loved it so I asked everyone I knew who saw it and most felt the same way we did. It did not live up to the hype IOO.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1430738108|3871825 said:
Hi MayK, have you seen Avenue Q? We saw it a very long time ago and it was excellent. Not sure of the cast in the show now but if you haven't seen it I recommend it. Hilarious! And still affordable for tickets compared to many shows.

You already saw one of my favorites (Wicked) and while we liked Jersey Boys we didn't love it.

We did not love Book of Mormon. Didn't find it as funny as advertised and I am not sure what all the brouhaha is about but we are not the only ones who feel this way because after we saw the show I was confused because so many people loved it so I asked everyone I knew who saw it and most felt the same way we did. It did not live up to the hype IOO.

Hi Miisy! I was hoping you would drop in! I'm not interested in The Book of Mormon. I heard from a friend who saw it how awful the language was and constant and that doesn't interest me. I will check out Avenue Q. We are not sure if we will see one or two shows. We land at 11:00 on the 11th in time to have lunch in the Village at Keste Pizza. From there we are still working on Shows and Dinners. We did The Nomad last time and we were not disappointed. So still lots to do. We were going to try one place that is already booked ;( that a friend of DH's recommended.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On The Town
On The Twentieth Century
An American In Paris
A Gentleman's Guide to Love & Murder

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mayk|1430741541|3871846 said:
missy|1430738108|3871825 said:

Hi Miisy! I was hoping you would drop in! I'm not interested in The Book of Mormon. I heard from a friend who saw it how awful the language was and constant and that doesn't interest me. I will check out Avenue Q. We are not sure if we will see one or two shows. We land at 11:00 on the 11th in time to have lunch in the Village at Keste Pizza. From there we are still working on Shows and Dinners. We did The Nomad last time and we were not disappointed. So still lots to do. We were going to try one place that is already booked ;( that a friend of DH's recommended.

I hope you have a great trip here MayK! I just got this email about discount tickets in my inbox and thought how timely. You can get discount tickets for this show and others. Avenue Q tickets for $49.
https://www.telechargeoffers.com/offeroverview.aspx?productid=7685

How much time will you be spending in NYC? Let me know if there are any other recommendations you need or anything I can do for you.

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock
Hi Mayk
We were just in NY and loved "Beautiful". It is the story and music of Carol King. We also loved "The Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder". They were both wonderful productions. The acting was fantastic!

MrsWhitney

Shiny_Rock
I live in NYC...well, I have a flat there....and let me just say, Ramin Karimloo is Jean Valjean right now in Les Miserables. I have seen every show mentioned and plays....and he is by far going to be considered the best, perhaps tied with Colm, Broadway/West End and perhaps beyond...singer. Les Miserable is simply the most inspirational, yet fun, and moving plays/musicals...and Ramin will be leaving soon (so call ahead to be sure he is there and on that date, with Telecharge). Also, as a New Yorker, always buy tickets ahead of time...through Telecharge.

You tube Ramin Karimloo (who Andrew L Webber has said was his favourite Phantom).....I sound biased, I know. But I have seen Ramin in London when I was a Cambridge PhD student too- in the role of Enjorlas and it was phenom.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. We went with "The Gentlemen's Guide to Love and Murder" and purchased the tickets through the link provided. Thank you so much!

We are always open to suggestions for places to eat and things we "should do". On the list this time is the Cooper Hewitt which was closed for renovations when we were there two years ago. Also, we always enjoy the Met and I'm sure there will be a trip there. We are not doing baseball this year but two years ago we did see the Yankees against the Red Sox and that was a great experience. We've not been to Chinatown and that is on the list this year. We did do Chelsea last time and really enjoyed it. Of course, there is always time for bling and watch window shopping and we will do a little of that too. Bling for me, watches for him. :naughty:

As for food we love a great meal... breakfast, lunch and dinner and try to experience as much as possible. Basically, we usually plan to eat our way through NY and worry about dropping a few pounds when we get home. We have a few favorites we like to do but we are always looking for new experiences. A few places we've been we loved, Barnie Green Grass and Sarabeth's for Breakfast. We usually stay at the JW on Central park so Sarabeths is right there. We also love Keste Pizza in the Village. For dinner we've enjoyed The Nomad, La Grenouillie and Las Halles. There are a couple more but I've forgotten the names but one is a great Italian place really close to the Hotel and next to an awesome jewelry store where the windows always distract me the sandwich list for lunch was really great. One night will be to celebrate our Wedding Anniversary so if you have a suggestion for romantic (not in the "Per Se" $$$$$$$$$$ price range :bigsmile: ) I'm open to suggestions. I've also heard there are some pretty decent food tours but we've not done these and we are open to suggestions.

Missy thank you so much for your offer... we are always open for a glass of wine and impromtu PS GTG if you have the time and you are in the city. I'm also planning to drop by DBL to visit the safe :Up_to_something:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mayk, have you been to Le Bernardin? It's one of our favorite restaurants ever and a great restaurant for a romantic anniversary. I hear you on Per Se. It is a wonderful restaurant and very romantic but for the cost of dinner you could easily buy diamond bling. Though I will say it is an experience you will remember.

I vote for Le Bernardin for a romantic anniversary dinner.

http://le-bernardin.com

As the date gets closer I'll be in touch. We are away the first 2 weeks in June and not sure when we are returning to NY but it would be lovely to meet you if possible.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1430829776|3872344 said:
Mayk, have you been to Le Bernardin? It's one of our favorite restaurants ever and a great restaurant for a romantic anniversary. I hear you on Per Se. It is a wonderful restaurant and very romantic but for the cost of dinner you could easily buy diamond bling. Though I will say it is an experience you will remember.

As the date gets closer I'll be in touch. We are away the first 2 weeks in June and not sure when we are returning to NY but it would be lovely to meet you if possible.

Thank you.. sounds like a great reco! We will check it out. I'm subscribed to this thread if you are back in the city... drop a note here and you can always get my contact info from DBL.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1430829776|3872344 said:

I sent this link to DH. We both agree this looks perfect to celebrate our wedding anniversary! :appl: thank you...{{{hugs}}}

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're very welcome Mayk! (((Hugs))) right back at ya!

Le Bernardin allows for reservations 30 days in advance and it books quickly for Friday and Saturday dinner so definitely call them ASAP to get the evening you want. I'm pretty good at getting reservations in challenging situations so if you need my help let me know! :wavey:

ETA: I have now subscribed to this thread too. :))

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1430833782|3872383 said:
You're very welcome Mayk! (((Hugs))) right back at ya!

Le Bernardin allows for reservations 30 days in advance and it books quickly for Friday and Saturday dinner so definitely call them ASAP to get the evening you want. I'm pretty good at getting reservations in challenging situations so if you need my help let me know! :wavey:

ETA: I have now subscribed to this thread too. :))

Eek! So glad you told me that. I made the reservation for 10:00 p.m. On Saturday! Planning for a late lunch Saturday for sure!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you don't want to eat that late ask (if you haven't already) to be put on their waiting list for a more convenient time that night. Are they booking mid June already? I'm surprised as it used to be only 30 days in advance so I thought you would have more flexibility. Of course late reservations can be more romantic than earlier reservations so might be perfect for you two. I hope you love the restaurant. I recommend the chef's tasting menu. :lickout:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1430835419|3872394 said:
If you don't want to eat that late ask (if you haven't already) to be put on their waiting list for a more convenient time that night. Are they booking mid June already? I'm surprised as it used to be only 30 days in advance so I thought you would have more flexibility. Of course late reservations can be more romantic than earlier reservations so might be perfect for you two. I hope you love the restaurant. I recommend the chef's tasting menu. :lickout:

I will ask for the waiting list. I didn't know to do that. She said they started to book June on May 1st and Friday and Saturdays filled up fast. The Chef's Tasting Menu looks wonderful!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They definitely changed their booking to further in advance since the last time we made reservations there. Of course that was a while ago-before my accident and come to think of it I think we'll go perhaps in August. We are overdue.

Mayk, just realized I have your email. Do you still have mine? In any case I will contact you closer to your visit.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1430836387|3872401 said:
They definitely changed their booking to further in advance since the last time we made reservations there. Of course that was a while ago-before my accident and come to think of it I think we'll go perhaps in August. We are overdue.

Mayk, just realized I have your email. Do you still have mine? In any case I will contact you closer to your visit.

I just looked, I guess I don't have it any longer :(sad but please feel free to drop me a line as we get closer... If I don't see you in NYC I'll hopefully see you in Miami next year for the Antique Jewelry Show, I'm planning to attend again! (Helps to have a Step Daughter in College down there, makes my reasons for going south very easy and DH likes to tag along).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mayk|1430836788|3872403 said:
missy|1430836387|3872401 said:

I just looked, I guess I don't have it any longer :(sad but please feel free to drop me a line as we get closer... If I don't see you in NYC I'll hopefully see you in Miami next year for the Antique Jewelry Show, I'm planning to attend again! (Helps to have a Step Daughter in College down there, makes my reasons for going south very easy and DH likes to tag along).

Just emailed you. :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results