carat
color
clarity

Now I really did it :((

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy.

The lightning show was amazing. A lot of sheet lighting and big old multi bolts. We didn’t get much rain from it though.

That is great the self-stick gauze isn’t making you itch. I didn’t find the self-stick stuff until I had a nasty interaction with a knife but it works great. During my past surgeries I had more trouble from the reaction and skin damage from adhesive than I did getting my incisions to heal.

That’s a plan – next spring we’ll get out there and learn how to play golf. Marty will be so proud because he really loves to play. I know he doesn’t mind if I tag along on things and his friends just give me a hard time so they obviously wouldn’t care.

Yay for getting new shorts in the mail today. Shopping is always good therapy. I really like Macy’s brand of t-shirts; they fit really well and have great colors. The brand is Charter Club. They are pretty reasonably priced too.

That is too bad you can’t take ibuproferin or aspirin. Tylenol works okay for me. Extra strength Excedrin cures most things for me but that caffeine can be an attention getter.

How exciting to sleep without your boot. When are you going to try it? I am sure you’ll lay awake all night the first time scared to fall asleep. I would anyway but once you get use to the ASO you will probably sleep better without that heavy boot on your leg.

I hope you have a great evening and day tomorrow. Good luck at PT!

Marcy

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rainwood|1408497485|3735901 said:
Missy -

Aztonite's post reminded me that I always iced before I left the PT facility. Usually about 10 minutes or so. If they don't offer, ask for it. It really does help to ice right after you've exercised the leg.

And both of my PT places had stairs to get into them - the first place had stairs up, the second had stairs down. It really is a WTF kind of experience. Stairs? Really?

rainwood, I cannot believe your PT places had stairs too. OMG it really is mind boggling :shock: LOL. I mean, there is no ramp access either to the PT place. I guess I am lucky there is ramp access to an adjacent building. Which reminds me I am supposed to call ahead to make sure they have the movable ramp ready from the adjacent building. Though I doubt anyone will be there before 8AM to pick up the phone. Sometimes you just have to wonder. Thanks for the icing advice after PT. Will do.

marcy said:
Hi Missy.

The lightning show was amazing. A lot of sheet lighting and big old multi bolts. We didn’t get much rain from it though.

That is great the self-stick gauze isn’t making you itch. I didn’t find the self-stick stuff until I had a nasty interaction with a knife but it works great. During my past surgeries I had more trouble from the reaction and skin damage from adhesive than I did getting my incisions to heal.

That’s a plan – next spring we’ll get out there and learn how to play golf. Marty will be so proud because he really loves to play. I know he doesn’t mind if I tag along on things and his friends just give me a hard time so they obviously wouldn’t care.

Yay for getting new shorts in the mail today. Shopping is always good therapy. I really like Macy’s brand of t-shirts; they fit really well and have great colors. The brand is Charter Club. They are pretty reasonably priced too.

That is too bad you can’t take ibuproferin or aspirin. Tylenol works okay for me. Extra strength Excedrin cures most things for me but that caffeine can be an attention getter.

How exciting to sleep without your boot. When are you going to try it? I am sure you’ll lay awake all night the first time scared to fall asleep. I would anyway but once you get use to the ASO you will probably sleep better without that heavy boot on your leg.

I hope you have a great evening and day tomorrow. Good luck at PT!

Marcy

Glad you enjoyed the lightning show Marcy. And golf for next spring sounds like a good plan. Greg keeps saying I will be back on the tandem by next spring. I really love his optimism but I am much more cautious in my predictions.

Ouch on the knife "interaction"...sounds painful. There must be something hypoallergenic that you would not react to as much. I am using Curad ouchless non stick adhesive pads. I wonder if they would work for you?

I had the worse night's sleep. I fell asleep OK but woke up at 2AM and that was it for me. I am now up and having coffee because at 5AM I couldn't take being in bed anymore and went to the kitchen to see what I could do re coffee but Greg realized what I was doing and got out of bed and made me leave the kitchen and he made the coffee. Very frustrating. I know I am very close to being more independent and I am so looking forward to the day where I can just make a simple coffee for both of us and bring it where I want it to be yanno?

I slept with the boot last night. I am not ready yet to go (boot) commando (heheh). I figure what's another few days or so? The ASO doesn't feel that protective to me and I am thinking I might just be better off without anything the first night I try going without the boot. My experience might be similar to azstonie's though where my leg just feels too weird without anything. I guess I will see once I try it.

Right now I feel like I have a lack of sleep hangover. Head hurts and I am sort of out of it. PT this morning so I have to summon up my energy. And hopefully Greg's not too pissed at having to get up earlier than expected. We both woke at 2AM but he fell back asleep till around 4AM because Francesca was restless and then I was moving around a lot trying to get comfortable so it is because of me he didn't get a full night's sleep. As usual. But I can tell he is extra tired this morning. :snore: ::)

Thanks for the good luck at PT today. I will need it! And thank you for the Macy's Charter Club rec for workout tshirts. I ordered some Gap tees but they are taking 2 weeks to come for some reason...so I will check out the CC rec. Thank you! Enjoy your day and see you soon Marcy! :wavey:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, I'm sorry you and Greg didn't get much sleep last night. Hopefully tonight will be better for both of you, and little Francesca too. Not being able to sleep can be frustrating enough but then you add your feelings of losing you independence and it sounds like you are having a rough time this morning. Please try to remember this is a temporary situation (I know it's easy for me to say). In the next few months you will get stronger and stronger. Soon you will make coffee for the two of you and taking them anywhere in the house you please! I feel for you. There have to be many times during the week where you think okay I'm ready for all of this to be over now. So sorry you've had to go thru this Missy.

Hopefully your PT session will be a good one today. I can't get over all the stairs to get to your appointment. Seems like a sick joke. Surely someone had to have the sense to realize this is not a good idea. Unbelievable!

The whole sleeping with the boot thing has to be strange. You hate it but at the same time you know it's keeping your leg safe. You will probably be so cautious with your foot/leg I doubt you will move at all the first few nights you are without it.

I'm with Greg that you be riding the tandem next Spring.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1408555906|3736283 said:
Hi Missy, I'm sorry you and Greg didn't get much sleep last night. Hopefully tonight will be better for both of you, and little Francesca too. Not being able to sleep can be frustrating enough but then you add your feelings of losing you independence and it sounds like you are having a rough time this morning. Please try to remember this is a temporary situation (I know it's easy for me to say). In the next few months you will get stronger and stronger. Soon you will make coffee for the two of you and taking them anywhere in the house you please! I feel for you. There have to be many times during the week where you think okay I'm ready for all of this to be over now. So sorry you've had to go thru this Missy.

Hopefully your PT session will be a good one today. I can't get over all the stairs to get to your appointment. Seems like a sick joke. Surely someone had to have the sense to realize this is not a good idea. Unbelievable!

The whole sleeping with the boot thing has to be strange. You hate it but at the same time you know it's keeping your leg safe. You will probably be so cautious with your foot/leg I doubt you will move at all the first few nights you are without it.

I'm with Greg that you be riding the tandem next Spring.

Hi Callie, PT went well today. The PT was pleased at how much more he could move my ankle than last time. He massaged the foot to help break up the edema which he said is from not moving my foot which would help push the fluid up. This way with me being immobile everything just pools. So until I can start weight bearing this is an issue.

I am trying compression socks right now and had the therapist get them on me this morning after my PT session. I have had them on now for over 9 hours and my heel is killing me so I am going to take it off. I was waiting for Greg to get home to help me take it off since it is tight but I am going to try to myself because right now it is really hurting my heel. I am sort of worried about what I am going to find there once I take the sock off.

But I digress. I felt good after PT because I am making some progress. Baby steps. OK off to try and get this sock off. I hope you had a great day Callie.

ETA: Sock is off. Definitely some marks on the heel from the snugness of the sock but otherwise looks good. I can actually see a bit of a blood vessel on my foot which has not been visible due to the edema so the compression socks are working a bit. My heel is still so swollen and that was the reason for the pain I think. Either that or the manipulation the therapist did today on my heel. I am going to try and work my way up to wearing them all day to help with the edema.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, Did the PT say the socks would hurt? It really sounds like this physical therapist is a good one. Have you been able to get any sleep in the afternoon or are you still unable to take a nap? You have to be exhausted. Where we be without coffee?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1408577280|3736460 said:
Hi Missy, Did the PT say the socks would hurt? It really sounds like this physical therapist is a good one. Have you been able to get any sleep in the afternoon or are you still unable to take a nap? You have to be exhausted. Where we be without coffee?

The PT said to try and wear them for at least 2 hours if I could and longer if possible and it didn't start bothering me till later. But I am not sure if it was the sock or the manipulation of my ankle. I am going to see what happens when I wear them tomorrow if I can.

I am just not able to nap in the afternoon. It's physically impossible for me. Even at the hospital when I was barely sleeping I was unable to sleep during daylight hours. Wish I could! I am pretty tired. And yes, thank goodness for coffee. Strong and black. Delicious. :lickout:

Wishing sweet dreams to us all. :snore:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, how are you today? I hate to hear you woke up so early. That was very sweet of Greg to get up and make you coffee but I do know what you mean how you look forward to when you can do those things again for yourself.

I have faith. Your recovery will be next year. I know you’ll work very hard at everything they ask you to do to regain strength and mobility.

I bet you will feel very weird when you try to sleep without your boot. After you get used to it’s absence though you’ll enjoy being free of it for a while. I agree there is no rush to try it though until you feel you are ready for it.

I do use Curad bandaids; but they aren’t waterproof so I go through a lot of them during the day when I have one of those pesky knife interactions. I keep thinking Marty will hide the knife block when he goes on a trip. :lol:

I am glad PT went well today. Yay for your ankle moving more today. :appl: Sorry the compression sock hurt but it sounds like it kind of helped. Do you have one of those grabbers? You may be able to pull off a sock with that. I got my dad a grabber when he broke his hip and it was so handy I bought myself one. I use it frequently to get the paper off my porch especially when it snows and to get lightweight stuff down from cupboards.

I am the same way on sleeping during the day. If it’s light out I am awake. Something I found that works for me is to put a folded up washcloth over my eyes, it makes it dark enough I can sleep. When we were first in our house one of our spare bedrooms didn't have drapes yet and I moved over there to sleep because I kept coughing. A full moon was out and I couldn't fall asleep so I tried that and it worked like a charm.

I hope you and Greg sleep well tonight. :snore:

Take care.
Marcy

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marcy|1408585984|3736569 said:
Hi Missy, how are you today? I hate to hear you woke up so early. That was very sweet of Greg to get up and make you coffee but I do know what you mean how you look forward to when you can do those things again for yourself.

I have faith. Your recovery will be next year. I know you’ll work very hard at everything they ask you to do to regain strength and mobility.

I bet you will feel very weird when you try to sleep without your boot. After you get used to it’s absence though you’ll enjoy being free of it for a while. I agree there is no rush to try it though until you feel you are ready for it.

I do use Curad bandaids; but they aren’t waterproof so I go through a lot of them during the day when I have one of those pesky knife interactions. I keep thinking Marty will hide the knife block when he goes on a trip. :lol:

I am glad PT went well today. Yay for your ankle moving more today. :appl: Sorry the compression sock hurt but it sounds like it kind of helped. Do you have one of those grabbers? You may be able to pull off a sock with that. I got my dad a grabber when he broke his hip and it was so handy I bought myself one. I use it frequently to get the paper off my porch especially when it snows and to get lightweight stuff down from cupboards.

I am the same way on sleeping during the day. If it’s light out I am awake. Something I found that works for me is to put a folded up washcloth over my eyes, it makes it dark enough I can sleep. When we were first in our house one of our spare bedrooms didn't have drapes yet and I moved over there to sleep because I kept coughing. A full moon was out and I couldn't fall asleep so I tried that and it worked like a charm.

I hope you and Greg sleep well tonight. :snore:

Take care.
Marcy

Good morning Marcy. We slept better last night. I woke up at 2AM again (darn internal clock now stuck on that time lol) but fell asleep at 4 AM which isn't as bad as it sounds because I then slept till 6:15A AM so respectable compared to previous nights. I feel better though a bit tired not as exhausted. And Greg says he slept well also so I am very pleased about that.

It's funny you mention drapes because I have been wanting to find some ethereal floaty curtains/drapes for the bedroom at the beach house. Here and at the beach house it is never fully dark in our bedrooms. At the beach house we are on the bay and across the bay is NYC so we have the lights from that so it is never fully dark. And you are right, that moon can be bright as well as the stars. And the sound of the waves can be noisy but in a good way if you kwim. Relaxing. No drapes or any window treatments and we have a wall of windows/terrace door so not dark in the bedroom. At our home here we face a fountain with lights and in a lively neighborhood so it truly is the city that never sleeps. It never kept me awake before and in fact I wonder if it was dark and quiet if that would keep me awake lol. A long time ago I got Greg a sleep mask and earplugs since I like to fall asleep to the tv and he didn't but after 15 years he is used to it and never really used the mask and earplugs.

I do have a gripper but I don't think it would get the compression sock over my heel. I managed to get it off myself but getting it on is another story and I will try today and see how it goes. Thanks for the suggestion.

The Curad non stick pads with adhesive tape aren't waterproof I guess but when I ice over it they remain dry despite the condensation because the outer part is water resistant. But if they were on a part of your body you were washing I could see how they would not be a good solution. I am surprised they don't have a waterproof option. What I do when I get cuts on my hands I use "New Skin" Liquid Bandage. It has been a lifesaver if the cut is not too deep. Have you tried this? I use it almost every week because I am either getting accidental cat scratches (I bleed easily) or paper cuts etc. Just apply and let dry in less than a minute and it lasts through many washes of your hands. I love this stuff. It doesn't work on very deep or large cuts though but something to check out if you don't know about it. And please be careful with those pesky knives. I feel your pain literally as I have much experience with those myself. :doh:

I hope you and Marty had a good night and a restful sleep. Enjoy the day. :appl:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, thanks for asking about the invisalign. Having a mouth full of uncomfortable plastic is now just part of life and I feel kind of silly having complained. On those first days I didn't know how I was going to get through it...now it feels odd when I am not wearing the trays. By the time I have worn all 33 sets you will be rinding tandem with Greg : ) quad.jpg
When can you start getting in a pool for water therapy?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne|1408621010|3736741 said:
Hi Missy, thanks for asking about the invisalign. Having a mouth full of uncomfortable plastic is now just part of life and I feel kind of silly having complained. On those first days I didn't know how I was going to get through it...now it feels odd when I am not wearing the trays. By the time I have worn all 33 sets you will be rinding tandem with Greg : ) quad.jpg
When can you start getting in a pool for water therapy?

Hi Jimmianne, I am glad your invisalign is going well and please don't feel silly for having complained. I hope next year at this time I can look back at this thread and think much ado about nothing or at least I can laugh about a thread all about me and know I am through to the other side and back on our tandem and back enjoying all the other activities we love doing.

Love the picture you posted and continuing along and remembering happier times and looking forward to getting back there... here's the more modern version of that... First pic is when we were just showing our friends our Calfee tandem when they were visiting us at our beach house and we are not in our cycling gear. Bottom pic normal cycling gear with those stupid dangerous Shimano SPD pedals and shoes...I have to say I am loving the old fashioned cycling outfits in your posted pic way more than what we wear now. So fashionable and lycra free LOL. :cheeky:

I am not sure when I can start water therapy but my incisions are not fully healed yet so I am guessing not for quite a while.

calfeefunbeachhousebackyardautumn2013.jpg

calfeeinseagirtsummer2013.jpg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really must apologise for my base humour lowering the tone, but I did think that the placement of the speech bubble pointy bit was slightly unfortunate in this picture... :???:

missy|1408625120|3736756 said:

:lol: :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OoohShiny|1408643110|3736940 said:
I really must apologise for my base humour lowering the tone, but I did think that the placement of the speech bubble pointy bit was slightly unfortunate in this picture... :???:

Hahaha, just goes to show what happens when one is sleep deprived and also rushing to post and not proofreading. LOLOL. Though I wonder if it could have been a Freudian slip. :oops: :lol:
Seriously though it was an honest mistake. :halo:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OoohShiny|1408643110|3736940 said:

Freud, anyone??!?!!?!?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha, see my above post. Already thought of that and all I can say is the Freudian slip thing might have some merit. I have no complaints (at least when it comes to my dh). :cheeky:
:oops:

But I really need to proofread all posts from hereon in no matter how much of a rush I am in. LOL.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, I love the picture of you and Greg! My first though was does she really wear that to ride. :angel: Thank you for the second picture. It looks like more sensible riding attire although I love the red outfit. Your comment placement was hysterical.

I'm so glad you and Greg were able to get some much needed rest last night. How has your leg/ankle been feeling? Are you noticing any difference since beginning therapy? How did the socks work out for you today?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1408669799|3737221 said:
Hi Missy, I love the picture of you and Greg! My first though was does she really wear that to ride. :angel: Thank you for the second picture. It looks like more sensible riding attire although I love the red outfit. Your comment placement was hysterical.

I'm so glad you and Greg were able to get some much needed rest last night. How has your leg/ankle been feeling? Are you noticing any difference since beginning therapy? How did the socks work out for you today?

LOL the placement was totally unintentional I swear. :cheeky:
And the first picture was us just fooling around (haha get it) and showing our friends the new carbon tandem because they hadn't seen it before. We were not cycling that day and instead entertaining at the beach house hence the non cycling garb. The bottom pic more accurately reflects what we wear when cycling though those shoes I am wearing will never be worn again by me. I don't need that lesson twice.:knockout:

I wore the compression sock for about 9 hours again today and again the heel pain forced me to remove them finally. My heel was red and swollen and marked up from the sock but it feels a bit better now. I ordered 3 more pairs ($100 for socks more than I ever spent before) and hope to wear them a bit every day as long as I can tolerate it. It helps remove some of the fluid that is accumulating in my foot at least temporarily and I think that is a good thing. I emailed the PA today and he said it is OK to wear as long as I can tolerate it.

I had a good day as one of my friends came this morning and stayed most of the day. I was tired when she left but glad she visited. Greg had to work late because a work emergency came up but I managed to get dinner all by myself. Of course Greg had made all of it though so not that amazing but getting it ready and where I needed it to be was enough for me right now...baby steps... so woohoo. And I fed the cats. I think they were stunned lol because it had been 2 months since I fed them and not Greg but they were happy to eat! Anyway he is home now and I am happy he is. I hate it when he has a stressful work day and the deal is still not settled.

I hope you had a good day Callie and are enjoying summer!
Looking forward to therapy tomorrow morning. Have a good night.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, I know the bike picture was a joke! It was too funny not to be! It sounds like you had a wonderful day today. You should be very proud about feeding the kitties and getting your dinner. You're making progress girl!

I can't believe the socks cost that much. They better work wonders for that price and look cute too.

I hope you and Greg have a nice night! I'll check in with you tomorrow. :wavey:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy. How are you feeling today?

That is awesome you and Greg had a decent night’s sleep. I hate when that auto clock goes off in your head. At our old house I woke up every night at 3:33. I often wondered if our set top box was doing it’s nightly download and I heard it kick on.

The view from your house and beach house do sound amazing. I love listening to ocean waves, being in Wyoming we don’t have those around here. Marty and I are amateur astronomers so we love looking at the stars. Sounds like Greg got used to TV and lights, which makes it nice for both of you. Marty can fall asleep with noise and lights but I can’t. He will be reading in bed on his iPad and it keeps me awake. It’s funny what we get used to with time.

I hope the grabber works for your compression sock. It sounds like you are tolerating the compression socks really well.

I have not tried the liquid bandage; I will look in to them. It is easy to get a cat scratch or a paper cut. Some of them can be nasty. I often get teased I should be in bubble wrap so I don’t hurt myself.

You and Greg look fantastic in your bike gear. I love your pictures.

Woo hoo for cooking dinner and feeding the cats. :appl: :appl: We met my sister and BIL for supper. We ate too much but dinner was good (Steak, baked potato, salad and a warm apple cobbler). And of course a nice merlot.

I hope you had a nice evening with Greg and sleep well. :wavey:

Marcy

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1408671291|3737236 said:
Missy, I know the bike picture was a joke! It was too funny not to be! It sounds like you had a wonderful day today. You should be very proud about feeding the kitties and getting your dinner. You're making progress girl!

I can't believe the socks cost that much. They better work wonders for that price and look cute too.

I hope you and Greg have a nice night! I'll check in with you tomorrow. :wavey:

Thanks Callie. I actually got the socks at a good price (24.99 per pair) because at the pharmacy near us they are $60. That is cuckoo. :shock:
I'll post a pic later if I can. They are not bad looking and in fact sort of cute for compression socks. Name is worse than the appearance.

marcy said:
Hi Missy. How are you feeling today?

That is awesome you and Greg had a decent night’s sleep. I hate when that auto clock goes off in your head. At our old house I woke up every night at 3:33. I often wondered if our set top box was doing it’s nightly download and I heard it kick on.

The view from your house and beach house do sound amazing. I love listening to ocean waves, being in Wyoming we don’t have those around here. Marty and I are amateur astronomers so we love looking at the stars. Sounds like Greg got used to TV and lights, which makes it nice for both of you. Marty can fall asleep with noise and lights but I can’t. He will be reading in bed on his iPad and it keeps me awake. It’s funny what we get used to with time.

I hope the grabber works for your compression sock. It sounds like you are tolerating the compression socks really well.

I have not tried the liquid bandage; I will look in to them. It is easy to get a cat scratch or a paper cut. Some of them can be nasty. I often get teased I should be in bubble wrap so I don’t hurt myself.

You and Greg look fantastic in your bike gear. I love your pictures.

Woo hoo for cooking dinner and feeding the cats. :appl: :appl: We met my sister and BIL for supper. We ate too much but dinner was good (Steak, baked potato, salad and a warm apple cobbler). And of course a nice merlot.

I hope you had a nice evening with Greg and sleep well. :wavey:

Marcy

Good morning Marcy, I hope you and Marty slept well last night.

I love the stars and we have talked about getting a telescope (we have a baby one) to look at them in the backyard. Wyoming is an awesome place to be an amateur astronomer. You must have gorgeous bright skies full of stars there without all that extra ambient light we have here.

Last night and early this morning there was a lot of lightning at the beach house. We have security cameras in the front and back yard and we got some awesome pics from those. I am going to post 2 pics here. The first picture is around midnight this last night/this morning. I think it is a cool picture. The green light you see is a reflection of the camera off the window. The last pic just shows how lit up everything is by the lightning strikes though it is the middle of the night and there are absolutely no lights on anywhere. Cool.

I think you will be pleased with the liquid bandage. It has really helped me out when I have cuts on my hand due to the high frequency with which I wash my hands (due to work not any OCD LOL). The liquid bandage hangs tough and disinfects so no need for antibiotic cream or ointment when using it. And a small bottle lasts forever.

Yumm, that warm apple cobbler sounds oh so delicious. Now you have me craving apple cobbler at 6 AM LOL. :lickout:

lightningstrikebeachhousemidnight.jpg

middleofnightbutskyislitupbylightning.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, I'm glad PT is going well and you're getting more movement out of your ankle! About the sock bothering your heel, is there any way you can either cut a triangle out where your heel goes, or depending on the fabric, just make one slice there and let the fabric roll off to the sides? "Sides" = the back of your ankle and bottom of your foot in this instance. I don't know if that second option would make a ridge that would be uncomfortable under the bottom of your foot though... ? If you do decide to consider those options I would say try the slice first and see if it works and then try the triangle because once you do the triangle that fabric is gone. One other potential problem is I don't know how tight the compression is so maybe you would be bothered by the edge of the fabric cutting into your skin...? Also, does the sock need to be on your actual foot? Can you cut the foot off at the ankle? Just trying to think of ways to modify it so you don't have the pain.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1408713313|3737460 said:
Missy, I'm glad PT is going well and you're getting more movement out of your ankle! About the sock bothering your heel, is there any way you can either cut a triangle out where your heel goes, or depending on the fabric, just make one slice there and let the fabric roll off to the sides? "Sides" = the back of your ankle and bottom of your foot in this instance. I don't know if that second option would make a ridge that would be uncomfortable under the bottom of your foot though... ? If you do decide to consider those options I would say try the slice first and see if it works and then try the triangle because once you do the triangle that fabric is gone. One other potential problem is I don't know how tight the compression is so maybe you would be bothered by the edge of the fabric cutting into your skin...? Also, does the sock need to be on your actual foot? Can you cut the foot off at the ankle? Just trying to think of ways to modify it so you don't have the pain.

Thanks Dee, I appreciate your brainstorming for me because goodness knows my brain power is lacking these days from sleep deprivation lol. That may be a good solution. I just wonder if that would ruin the compression aspect as my heel is pretty swollen and I want to try reducing that though I don't want to do harm. I will see how long I can stand the socks today. I had a good PT session this morning so I am pleased and feeling a bit encouraged.

I hope your loft remained dry last night and all is going well for you!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, gotcha! I don't know how it escaped me that you would want to be using the compression ON the heel too. Apparently my cognitive abilities go straight into the toilet when I spend the night pacing from drain to drain waiting for The Great Flood to erupt. And thank you for asking; no water last night, just a lot of gurgling. The check valves held beautifully (although I do worry that, like any mechanical device, they could also fail at some point... ). Thunderstorms in the forecast for the next five days. If I wasn't a drinker already I'd certainly start now!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1408720624|3737528 said:
Oh, gotcha! I don't know how it escaped me that you would want to be using the compression ON the heel too. Apparently my cognitive abilities go straight into the toilet when I spend the night pacing from drain to drain waiting for The Great Flood to erupt. And thank you for asking; no water last night, just a lot of gurgling. The check valves held beautifully (although I do worry that, like any mechanical device, they could also fail at some point... ). Thunderstorms in the forecast for the next five days. If I wasn't a drinker already I'd certainly start now!

First of all LOL. Your sense of humor through adversity remains firmly and happily intact. :appl:
And second of all WOOHOO on remaining dry!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

I am keeping my fingers and toes (even the ones on the bad leg and that's loyalty lol) crossed that all remains dry by you. And of you are in the mood please have a tequila straight up for me. I miss that and can almost taste it now. Mmmmm good. Dare I say even better than apple cobbler some of the time. :lickout:

Hoping the check valves continue holding strong!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, it sounds like you are doing really well with physical therapy and making progress. Were you able to sleep well last night? The compression socks sound like a pain. You said you need help getting them on but it has to equally hard to get them off. They do seem to be helping the swelling so that has to be a really good thing. Is your mom doing well with her healing?

Oh Missy the pictures from your beach house are so beautiful. That view is incredible. I now know why you love being there and am sorry you haven't been able to enjoy it the past few months.

Our home is located on a large pond. I was bound and determined not have a home where we could practically see the neighbors having dinner in their dining room. It took forever to find a build able lot. In Chicagoland suburbs most of the homes are fairly close together and the neightbors homes back up to each other. Of course we have backyards but I really wanted a pretty view. It worked out well. I Planted quite a few trees to block out the homes beyond the pond. My husband thought I was nuts and thought his view of the water would be blocked. Now that the trees are growing he loves it because all you see are trees and water in the summertime. It makes it every peaceful in my opinion. After seeing your view I know you can relate.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You guys are so cute! Love those bike photos.

If it is any tiny consolation - when I told my cyclist daughter about what caused your accident her eyes widened perceptibly. I know she will no longer be using shoe clips - so you saved her, and probably others as well.

Happy Weekend to you!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1408727266|3737573 said:
Hi Missy, it sounds like you are doing really well with physical therapy and making progress. Were you able to sleep well last night? The compression socks sound like a pain. You said you need help getting them on but it has to equally hard to get them off. They do seem to be helping the swelling so that has to be a really good thing. Is your mom doing well with her healing?

Oh Missy the pictures from your beach house are so beautiful. That view is incredible. I now know why you love being there and am sorry you haven't been able to enjoy it the past few months.

Our home is located on a large pond. I was bound and determined not have a home where we could practically see the neighbors having dinner in their dining room. It took forever to find a build able lot. In Chicagoland suburbs most of the homes are fairly close together and the neightbors homes back up to each other. Of course we have backyards but I really wanted a pretty view. It worked out well. I Planted quite a few trees to block out the homes beyond the pond. My husband thought I was nuts and thought his view of the water would be blocked. Now that the trees are growing he loves it because all you see are trees and water in the summertime. It makes it every peaceful in my opinion. After seeing your view I know you can relate.

Callie, your home and view sound beautiful. I wonder if you live near my BIL and SIL as they are also in the Chicago suburbs. And I totally relate on the neighbors proximity. Our neighbors at the beach house are very close but we have lots of greenery and trees for privacy. I would love to have even more but they put up quite the fuss saying there is an unwritten rule not to block the water view. LOL we don't want to block their water view. Just their view of us! They can be nosy but for the most part nice.
I suppose your dh had the same worry when you told him of your plan to plant trees. I love having the green and the water. As you said it is very peaceful and cathartic.

My mom is doing well, thank you for asking. It is hard for her because her last few years have been challenging health wise but she is a trooper. I miss seeing my parents now but I do chat with them on the phone every day. Not the same thing but it will have to do for now.

OK here are the pics of the compression socks. My PT said he never saw such pretty compression socks before lol. Never with flowers at least haha. I'm such a girl sometimes. I am expecting the other pairs today. I got them in navy flowers, black flowers, and soft charcoal solid I believe. The picture is of the Oyster color.

compressionsock.jpg

compressionsock.jpeg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne|1408731114|3737616 said:
You guys are so cute! Love those bike photos.

If it is any tiny consolation - when I told my cyclist daughter about what caused your accident her eyes widened perceptibly. I know she will no longer be using shoe clips - so you saved her, and probably others as well.

Happy Weekend to you!

Thank you Jimmianne! And it is more than a small consolation. You just made my day, no my last 2 months in fact! I am thrilled that your daughter is not going to be using the clip on shoes/pedals. I feel that if I can help just one person that it will at least mean something if that makes sense. And I am spreading the word in the hopes no one else I know will suffer a Pilon fracture because of the darn bike shoes. Just want to add that there are better clip ons where you automatically release from the pedals like the ones Greg has but I don't know anything else about them. Personally when I get back on the bike (g-d willing) I don't plan on wearing any bike clip shoes. Old school for me from now on or at least till I am 100% sure what I decide to use is safe.

Thank you for letting me know about your daughter and give her a hug from me. Tell her to enjoy cycling and be safe!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, I love reading your posts. This is not what I was expecting compression socks to look like. These are cute! I was expecting something along the lines of what an ace bandage looks like.

I've been sick the past two days with a sinus infection. I'm supposed to go downtown shopping tomorrow and hope I feel well. I keep going back and forth about purchasing a Cartier love bracelet or putting the money toward an old cut diamond. What would you do?
I already have a few good size diamond rings but would love an old cut. Decisions, decisions.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1408735180|3737670 said:
Hi Missy, I love reading your posts. This is not what I was expecting compression socks to look like. These are cute! I was expecting something along the lines of what an ace bandage looks like.

I've been sick the past two days with a sinus infection. I'm supposed to go downtown shopping tomorrow and hope I feel well. I keep going back and forth about purchasing a Cartier love bracelet or putting the money toward an old cut diamond. What would you do?
I already have a few good size diamond rings but would love an old cut. Decisions, decisions.

Thank you Callie. I enjoy your posts also.

I am so sorry you are dealing with a sinus infection! Are you on antibiotics?

I like the Cartier Love bracelet but would never get one for myself because I don't like the idea of keeping jewelry on 24/7 and as soon as I get home I take all my jewelry off so I'm not the best person to ask. I would choose the old cut every single day over the Cartier Love bracelet.

How about an old cut bracelet? That would be gorgeous. However if your heart is set on the LOVE bracelet nothing else will satiate your desire so I say go for it. If you are unsure wait because it will still be there when you decide. I'm excited for you for either purchase and hope you are feeling better tomorrow so you can enjoy your downtown shopping expedition. :appl:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, Yep, I'm on antibiotics. I'm still not feeling great but really want to go tomorrow. You helped more than you could know regarding the bracelet. I also like to take my jewelry off all the time and am worried the bracelet would get scratched up when I garden or do cleaning around the house. I not crazy about having a piece of jewelry I can't take off and probably not want to wear it if it looked roughed up. I'll probably keep saving for the old cut. I'm sure I'll be much happier with an old cut ring. Thank you!

I hope you great night sleep tonight and have a fun day tomorrow. Do you and Greg have anything planned for tomorrow or Sunday?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results