shape
carat
color
clarity

Now I really did it :((

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, just stopping in to say I'm so glad you got good news from the surgeon! Glad to hear you're healing well, and what fantastic news about the boot! I understand your hesitancy, but as you said I don't think he would have given you the ok if he didn't feel it was appropriate. I think a good night's sleep is going to make a big difference in how you're feeling!

Your dh is so, so sweet to be willing to adopt the cat even though he's not exactly thrilled with the idea - to me, that's true love. My sister and I were having a conversation and I think she's a little frustrated that her hubby doesn't say "I love you" very often. And I agree that it's nice to hear it once in a while. But, to me, a lot of times actions speak louder than words and a person willing to do something he's not totally on board with to make his wife happy speaks volumes. You made the right choice though, you guys both have your hands full as it is and it just doesn't seem to be the right time. (pains me a little to say that, I'm an animal lover too, lol).

I feel better that you're feeling better haha! I'll stop by again soon!

PS - Callie and missy, thanks for the kind words and concern - It's been a crazy few weeks but things are looking up a little, fingers crossed!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, I'm glad you were able to get out for a bit yesterday and I'm sure you'll have a good time today at the farmers market today.
I bought a couple dresses yesterday. I think I may have to return one of them. It's really cute but I just feel I'm too old to wear it. It would really look nice if my head was missing. And of course my husband loves it.

Junebug, I'm so glad things are getting a little better for you. Please know I am always here to support you if you need it. I'm in complete agreement with you on actions speaking loader than words. I'm lucky, my husband says I love you all time but to me a persons actions show so much more.

Sorry for the Threadjack Missy.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great news, Missy, just great!

're nighttime use of boot. My surgeon let me try going without it just prior to the end of immobility but he said that many patients found it more uncomfortable to go without it.

I could not believe that!!!

So that night I went to bed without it. I had it on within the hour, I would move around in the bed to get comfy and feel discomfort and wake up. So back on it went

Surely there is a lightweight immobilizer rather than hard plastic boot for you to wear at night. I had one, you could also.

Enjoy your weekend, be proud because you're doing great!

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy:

I am glad to here that you are doing well. I have only read the last page+ of the long thread and have missed most of it. You seemed to take some of my initial advice to heart, and have had positive expectations. Works, doesn't it.

I do not wish to treadjack your thread with why I have not been following your thread and vanished from it a long time ago. Suffice to say that life got complicated and Princess Zhanna had to return to Ukraine for family matters (and eastern Ukraine at that; but not in an active war zone - but not far from one either). She has been there a long time now - and I don't know when she will return (we are hoping end of this month). I have been focusing a lot of time on supporting her. I trust you understand. Someday I may post about the situation; I just did not - and do not - have time to invest in a Pricescope thread at this time.

I am also going to request other PS members to focus on Missy - this is her thread; and not clutter it with messages to me. I know that virtually all of you wish Princess and I well. I will let Missy speak for all of Pricescope in her reply.

I just wanted to let Missy know that I never stopped caring about her situation; just had more important things to focus on. Also, that I continue to focus on those other things.

Missy. I know you will do well. I look forward to continuing our discussion some day on how to dress like a Lady (just not sure when). Who knows, maybe we can actually meet someday as I think Princess and you would meld together well - not to mention have a lot of fun talking clothing, skin care, jewelry, etc.

Life is amazing if you make it so,

Perry

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy! How are you today? Did you and Greg have a decent night’s sleep?

I am again showing my antique days of medicine but I am talking about those Velcro casts with some kind of stays or braces that you just Velcro on. I had one for my knee surgeries. They are thick, padded and warm but not super heavy. I am sure they’d be lighter than your boot. I noticed it when I slept but it would be more comfortable and also keep your leg straight. Whatever makes you comfortable enough to sleep. I do think you’d be very careful with your leg even if you were asleep. Your brain is keeping watch for you.

Did you and Greg go to the farmer’s market? I should get to ours next weekend. I want fresh peaches.

Marty got home last night and even came to my meeting. He was sounds asleep by about 9:30 last night and went to bed about 9 tonight. He is still on London time.

Have a great Sunday!
Marcy

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1408194987|3733622 said:
Missy, just stopping in to say I'm so glad you got good news from the surgeon! Glad to hear you're healing well, and what fantastic news about the boot! I understand your hesitancy, but as you said I don't think he would have given you the ok if he didn't feel it was appropriate. I think a good night's sleep is going to make a big difference in how you're feeling!

Your dh is so, so sweet to be willing to adopt the cat even though he's not exactly thrilled with the idea - to me, that's true love. My sister and I were having a conversation and I think she's a little frustrated that her hubby doesn't say "I love you" very often. And I agree that it's nice to hear it once in a while. But, to me, a lot of times actions speak louder than words and a person willing to do something he's not totally on board with to make his wife happy speaks volumes. You made the right choice though, you guys both have your hands full as it is and it just doesn't seem to be the right time. (pains me a little to say that, I'm an animal lover too, lol).

I feel better that you're feeling better haha! I'll stop by again soon!

PS - Callie and missy, thanks for the kind words and concern - It's been a crazy few weeks but things are looking up a little, fingers crossed!

Dear Junebug, I am so happy your situation is improving and things are getting better.

I agree actions speak so much louder than any words and fortunately for me Greg shows his love in many ways every day. I am very lucky and grateful despite everything that I have been dealing with since January of this year because I have him by my side. I wish that for every person here- to have their true love, a soulmate with them through all of life's ups and downs. To share the good and the bad. It makes it all worthwhile even when the days seem dark.

Junebug, I hope that your mom continues to improve and that things continue getting better for your family. I am keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers and as always sending (((hugs))) your way.

Calliecake said:
Hi Missy, I'm glad you were able to get out for a bit yesterday and I'm sure you'll have a good time today at the farmers market today.
I bought a couple dresses yesterday. I think I may have to return one of them. It's really cute but I just feel I'm too old to wear it. It would really look nice if my head was missing. And of course my husband loves it.

Junebug, I'm so glad things are getting a little better for you. Please know I am always here to support you if you need it. I'm in complete agreement with you on actions speaking loader than words. I'm lucky, my husband says I love you all time but to me a persons actions show so much more.

Sorry for the Threadjack Missy.

Callie, LOL. I am sure you look beautiful in all the dresses and that includes with your head attached!!! Though I hear you and I rather like the headless pics I post here sometimes haha. Very mysterious. :cheeky:
If your dh loves the dresses on you reconsider and keep them all. Sometimes we are so much tougher on ourselves than we need to be and should listen to those who love us as they see us for who we really are if you kwim. If you look good in the dress and feel good in it be confident and keep it. And remember age doesn't dictate how we feel. We do. :appl:

We went to the Farmer's Market yesterday and got some fresh sweet corn on the cob and eggplant and then we took a wheel through a bit of the neighborhood. Our outing was only about an hour and a half but it was our longest one so far. I was tired when we got back home but glad to have gotten out and about. I am still not used to people looking at me. In sympathy for the most part and though I know they mean well it doesn't feel great to know people feel sorry for me. A few even smiled and said they hope I get better very soon. Which is very kind of strangers to do but still it felt strange.

All in all a good day and I am looking forward to the day I am stronger and a short outing doesn't exhaust me. I haven't worked out in around 52 days now and I can tell I do not have the energy I used to. I just hope I can get back my energy and health once my leg heals. I plan on taking it slow of course and will do what I need to do but I am missing the working out and the energy and outlet it gave me.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend Callie. :wavey:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1408212303|3733763 said:
Great news, Missy, just great!

're nighttime use of boot. My surgeon let me try going without it just prior to the end of immobility but he said that many patients found it more uncomfortable to go without it.

I could not believe that!!!

So that night I went to bed without it. I had it on within the hour, I would move around in the bed to get comfy and feel discomfort and wake up. So back on it went

Surely there is a lightweight immobilizer rather than hard plastic boot for you to wear at night. I had one, you could also.

Enjoy your weekend, be proud because you're doing great!

Hi azstonie, I do believe that because when I take my boot off to do my ankle ROM exercises my leg and foot feel so weird and uncomfortable. Like they are not part of me somehow. I also still need to keep my leg elevated on a pillow when I am not using the walker otherwise I am uncomfortable too. I also sleep with the leg in the boot on a wedge (and another pillow too) pillow elevated and I hope that's OK. Otherwise it is too uncomfortable.

I cannot really explain the feeling well but suffice it to say it is very disconcerting the way the leg feels when the boot is off though I am hoping it is just because I had the boot on for so long now and it will just be a matter of getting used to it. I am going to see what I can find through the internet regarding lighter boots/immobilizers to sleep with because that would be a good middle ground till I feel more comfortable. Are there any brands you recommend?

Thanks and enjoy your weekend too! :wavey:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
perry|1408220277|3733843 said:
Missy:

I am glad to here that you are doing well. I have only read the last page+ of the long thread and have missed most of it. You seemed to take some of my initial advice to heart, and have had positive expectations. Works, doesn't it.

I do not wish to treadjack your thread with why I have not been following your thread and vanished from it a long time ago. Suffice to say that life got complicated and Princess Zhanna had to return to Ukraine for family matters (and eastern Ukraine at that; but not in an active war zone - but not far from one either). She has been there a long time now - and I don't know when she will return (we are hoping end of this month). I have been focusing a lot of time on supporting her. I trust you understand. Someday I may post about the situation; I just did not - and do not - have time to invest in a Pricescope thread at this time.

I am also going to request other PS members to focus on Missy - this is her thread; and not clutter it with messages to me. I know that virtually all of you wish Princess and I well. I will let Missy speak for all of Pricescope in her reply.

I just wanted to let Missy know that I never stopped caring about her situation; just had more important things to focus on. Also, that I continue to focus on those other things.

Missy. I know you will do well. I look forward to continuing our discussion some day on how to dress like a Lady (just not sure when). Who knows, maybe we can actually meet someday as I think Princess and you would meld together well - not to mention have a lot of fun talking clothing, skin care, jewelry, etc.

Life is amazing if you make it so,

Perry

Dear Perry, I am so sorry that Princess Zhanna had to return to the Eastern Ukraine for family matters and I hope she returns home safely to you very soon. I know how difficult this time must be for you both and I will keep you and the Princess in my thoughts and prayers and I am sending many many good vibes your way.

Thank you for taking the time to post here to check in on me and support me. I appreciate that and want you to please feel free to update your situation here anytime. We all care about you and the Princess and you are so right in that we all wish you the very best and are concerned.

I am quite good with threadjacking because while the thread is about my situation and how I am coping it is about everyone at PS who cares to post here. PSers are so generous with their support and love and I am there for everyone just as they have all been here and continue to be here for me. So please do not hesitate as I am sure everyone here feels the same as I do. We care and want to know you and your wife are doing well.

And yes, it will be something to look forward to. Meeting you both at perhaps a future GTG during a less stressful (and hopefully healthier) time for us all.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marcy|1408248775|3734066 said:
Hi Missy! How are you today? Did you and Greg have a decent night’s sleep?

I am again showing my antique days of medicine but I am talking about those Velcro casts with some kind of stays or braces that you just Velcro on. I had one for my knee surgeries. They are thick, padded and warm but not super heavy. I am sure they’d be lighter than your boot. I noticed it when I slept but it would be more comfortable and also keep your leg straight. Whatever makes you comfortable enough to sleep. I do think you’d be very careful with your leg even if you were asleep. Your brain is keeping watch for you.

Did you and Greg go to the farmer’s market? I should get to ours next weekend. I want fresh peaches.

Marty got home last night and even came to my meeting. He was sounds asleep by about 9:30 last night and went to bed about 9 tonight. He is still on London time.

Have a great Sunday!
Marcy

Hi Marcy! We slept well last night thank you for asking. I only woke up once at 2:30AM and was able to fall back asleep in less than an hour and didn't wake till after 5:45 AM this morning so woohoo!

I had the strangest dream though. We were at a fancy restaurant celebrating some family birthday and I ran down the stairs to find the restroom and a restaurant worker said wow you sure take those stairs incredibly fast. And then in the dream I remembered I wasn't supposed to be weight bearing and then I became all panicky and stressed out because I didn't have my walker or anything to lean on to take the weight off that leg and hop back to the table. And the rest of the dream was spent trying to find something and worrying about the damage I must have done by walking on my leg all that day. :-o

Not a relaxing dream by any means LOL but I think the subconscious speaks louder than words and we can see where my mind is these days even while sleeping! IRL many years ago I had a subway worker remark how quickly I took the stairs and how much energy I had at the end of the day and I am sure that memory crept into my dream last night. I sure wish I had the energy now that I had then if you kwim. And though I am a bit older I sure hope I can get much of that energy back because it was a part of who I was and hopefully still am, somewhere in there...

I am going to google velcro cast this morning Marcy thank you. I really would like another option just in case.
We did get to the Farmer's Market yesterday and got some corn and eggplant that Greg will be grilling this evening. He always cooked for me before this but now he is doing absolutely everything and really taking great care of me. I am eating well lol.

I am so glad Marty attended Friday night's meeting with you. How considerate and sweet of him! And falling asleep at 9:30 PM (or 9 for that matter lol) doesn't seem early at all to me no matter the time zone. I guess I am showing my age these days though haha because 9:30 PM seems just perfect to me! :cheeky: I hope he is all caught up on his sleep very soon.

Enjoy your Sunday with Marty! :wavey:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Missy, the subconscious works out a lot of stuff for us so we don't have to bother. Yours is dealing with anxiety and hope. Sometimes I think it's going over old tapes, cleaning out the Delete Bin, busily buzzing away while we are asleep & can't get in its way while it's working.

I am so envious of Greg's being a good cook, and a willing one! Treasure that, girl; I'm sure you do. My husband can fry an egg, period. I mean f.r.y. it -- till it's petrified, hard as a rock. His "help" when I had flu once still makes me laugh. He offered to bring me dinner in bed, something light, I requested. Proud as a little kid at Cub Scouts, he presented me with a very fried-egg sandwich that also contained ham, cheese, and a ton of butter. My stomach was not a happy camper -- all I really wanted was maybe toast & tea -- but he was so puffed up about his skills that I just had to choke it down & smile giddily. Poor boy, I haven't asked for his cuisine since!

--- Laurie

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, I'm so glad you got a really good night sleep last night. If only you could sleep like that every night. The dream you had speaks volumes about how worried you are about hurting your leg. It would be nice if we all came equipped with a switch to turn off all our negative thoughts (says the woman who wants to cut off her head). You have made much progress already and are healing nicely. I'm positive you will continue to do so. I looked up Velcro and lightweight imobilizers yesterday. Just make sure its fine with the doctors. It would be so nice if you could just sleep without that darn boot.

The farmers market sounds like a lot of fun. I understand how you feel having strangers feel sorry for you but how kind of them to stop and wish you well. I should really start cooking. I did a lot before I married. My husband would only eat three things when we married. So I pretty much stopped because anything I made could not have spices, onion or vegetables in it. He is getting a little better since he's been traveling a lot. I plan on making Gypsy's spaghetti sauce. I know I'll love.

I had to laugh the other day about the dress. It reminded me of one of the first posts I read of yours. Remember the one about the over the knee boots. They looked so good on you and you were worried. :angel: I just don't want to look like I'm trying to hard. The dress I was freaked out about is a sleeveless black sheath dress but the top of the dress is leather. I just feel I'm too old to wear it because of the leather. I bought a couple more cute dresses yesterday. They were all for fall and were 50% off. I couldn't resist. Now I just have to figure out where I'm going to wear them.

Sorry for the long post.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1408282621|3734175 said:
Missy, the subconscious works out a lot of stuff for us so we don't have to bother. Yours is dealing with anxiety and hope. Sometimes I think it's going over old tapes, cleaning out the Delete Bin, busily buzzing away while we are asleep & can't get in its way while it's working.

I am so envious of Greg's being a good cook, and a willing one! Treasure that, girl; I'm sure you do. My husband can fry an egg, period. I mean f.r.y. it -- till it's petrified, hard as a rock. His "help" when I had flu once still makes me laugh. He offered to bring me dinner in bed, something light, I requested. Proud as a little kid at Cub Scouts, he presented me with a very fried-egg sandwich that also contained ham, cheese, and a ton of butter. My stomach was not a happy camper -- all I really wanted was maybe toast & tea -- but he was so puffed up about his skills that I just had to choke it down & smile giddily. Poor boy, I haven't asked for his cuisine since!

--- Laurie

LOL. Thanks Laurie. You know you are welcome here anytime. Greg could cook for us nonstop. Anytime!
The fact that your dh went out of his comfort zone and cooked for you when you were sick is everything but I know you know that. We have a couple of good men. Think we should keep them. :cheeky:

Calliecake said:
Hi Missy, I'm so glad you got a really good night sleep last night. If only you could sleep like that every night. The dream you had speaks volumes about how worried you are about hurting your leg. It would be nice if we all came equipped with a switch to turn off all our negative thoughts (says the woman who wants to cut off her head). You have made much progress already and are healing nicely. I'm positive you will continue to do so. I looked up Velcro and lightweight imobilizers yesterday. Just make sure its fine with the doctors. It would be so nice if you could just sleep without that darn boot.

The farmers market sounds like a lot of fun. I understand how you feel having strangers feel sorry for you but how kind of them to stop and wish you well. I should really start cooking. I did a lot before I married. My husband would only eat three things when we married. So I pretty much stopped because anything I made could not have spices, onion or vegetables in it. He is getting a little better since he's been traveling a lot. I plan on making Gypsy's spaghetti sauce. I know I'll love.

I had to laugh the other day about the dress. It reminded me of one of the first posts I read of yours. Remember the one about the over the knee boots. They looked so good on you and you were worried. :angel: I just don't want to look like I'm trying to hard. The dress I was freaked out about is a sleeveless black sheath dress but the top of the dress is leather. I just feel I'm too old to wear it because of the leather. I bought a couple more cute dresses yesterday. They were all for fall and were 50% off. I couldn't resist. Now I just have to figure out where I'm going to wear them.

Sorry for the long post.

Callie, love your posts! Don't apologize. Especially with my really long posts lol. Yours seem very abbreviated compared to mine haha.

We had a great day today. Went to the main drag in our neighborhood despite being worried it might be too crowded and it was perfect. And I got to go into a lot of my favorite shops too so yay! And so many people were so nice to me in a way different than yesterday (at least that's the way it felt to me) because I didn't feel they felt pity for me. They were just kind and went out of their way to help me. I cannot explain it but it was a lovely day. Made me almost feel like my old self and I can sort of see the light at the end of the tunnel. Though I know recovery is going to be a long and tough haul I feel emotionally ready to handle it. Just hoping the physical follows!

I hope you had a great day too. :wavey:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, Your last puts made me so happy. No one deserves to have a really good day as much as you do. I'm glad you were able to go to some of your favorite storesI Did you make any fun purchases? I went shopping today but only came home with fragrances samples. With the way I've been shopping lately, that's a good thing. I seem to always spend a lot when the fall clothes come out. I need to stop and continue saving for an old cut diamond.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy! I am sure you and Greg felt pretty good after getting more sleep. Your outings to the farmer’s market and shops sound like a lot of fun for you. I am sure you were worn out but it’s nice to get some fresh air and have a change of scenery.

Good luck at your PT session tomorrow morning.

I washed 2 weeks of Marty’s laundry that seemed to take forever. We went out to lunch after he finished his golf game. We both had a nice steak, salad and baked potato. I made us a cake using a mix from the Cake Boss. It is more like a sponge cake but it’s not bad.

I finished a book tonight and I think I’d best go get ready for bed. I didn’t get to bed on time all weekend and I am setting here yawning.

Take care.
Marcy

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1408313109|3734405 said:
Missy, Your last puts made me so happy. No one deserves to have a really good day as much as you do. I'm glad you were able to go to some of your favorite storesI Did you make any fun purchases? I went shopping today but only came home with fragrances samples. With the way I've been shopping lately, that's a good thing. I seem to always spend a lot when the fall clothes come out. I need to stop and continue saving for an old cut diamond.

I love getting fragrance samples Callie. It's the only way to know what is full bottle worthy and what is just bleh on us. It's been a while since I tried any new fragrances. Let us know what you decide is FBW (if any) from your latest sampling. We just bought some cultured veggies from our local health food store and some more self adhesive gauze for my 3 incisions that I have to keep covered at all times (ooh so exciting lol).

I almost bought some new shorts for PT which starts today but their dressing room was up the stairs. Sigh. I guess they don't get many people who are in a wheelchair in their store. Cute sporting goods store not too far from me but too much of a pain to buy and then return as I am not that mobile these days so I didn't get them. Plus when did shorts get to be so expensive?

Callie, continue saving for an old cut diamond...it's worth the sacrifice and just buy some fall clothes on sale. Cause a girl needs new fall clothes! :appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marcy|1408332821|3734553 said:
Hi Missy! I am sure you and Greg felt pretty good after getting more sleep. Your outings to the farmer’s market and shops sound like a lot of fun for you. I am sure you were worn out but it’s nice to get some fresh air and have a change of scenery.

Good luck at your PT session tomorrow morning.

I washed 2 weeks of Marty’s laundry that seemed to take forever. We went out to lunch after he finished his golf game. We both had a nice steak, salad and baked potato. I made us a cake using a mix from the Cake Boss. It is more like a sponge cake but it’s not bad.

I finished a book tonight and I think I’d best go get ready for bed. I didn’t get to bed on time all weekend and I am setting here yawning.

Take care.
Marcy

Thank you Marcy. I am actually nervous for PT today because I really want this to work out. If they aren't good or one on one it's back to the drawing board and there aren't any other PT places that are on the approved HSS list in our neighborhood. So any other place will be a huge time investment for Greg and I am not sure what we will be able to do since he cannot miss work 3 times a week.

Whew, 2 weeks of laundry. I have to tell you I actually miss doing laundry every day at the beach house. I felt it very satisfying and I did it every day (not environmentally friendly I know) because our cycling clothes needed washing every day. I miss that.

Do you ever play golf with Marty? Greg and I were thinking of taking it up when we retire but not sure I would enjoy it. I like miniature golf but I know they are very different lol.

Glad you had a lovely weekend with Marty and I am glad he is home with you! I hope you both had a good night's sleep and are ready to face the week. :wavey:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, How was your PT appointment today? Are you feeing OK? Were you happy with the physical therapist you worked with today? I'm been thinking of you today hoping this location was a good fit for you.

I know what you mean about shorts being expensive. I surprised they weren't marked down this late in the season. There were so many sales yesterday.

I have no idea what I will do regarding the Creed fragrances. I bought a bottle two months ago that I not particularly happy with. It kills me to spend $275 a bottle and not be in love. I'll probably just wear the bottle of Cartier I found in the basement and wait a bit on a new fragrance. I came home yesterday wearing four different fragrances. My poor dog could not stop sneezing when she came near me. I'll have to try each one separately to see which one bothers her. I know she has food allergies and when mold counts are high I notice she sneezes but this was the first time it's ever happened with a fragrance.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1408408517|3735129 said:
Hi Missy, How was your PT appointment today? Are you feeing OK? Were you happy with the physical therapist you worked with today? I'm been thinking of you today hoping this location was a good fit for you.

I know what you mean about shorts being expensive. I surprised they weren't marked down this late in the season. There were so many sales yesterday.

I have no idea what I will do regarding the Creed fragrances. I bought a bottle two months ago that I not particularly happy with. It kills me to spend $275 a bottle and not be in love. I'll probably just wear the bottle of Cartier I found in the basement and wait a bit on a new fragrance. I came home yesterday wearing four different fragrances. My poor dog could not stop sneezing when she came near me. I'll have to try each one separately to see which one bothers her. I know she has food allergies and when mold counts are high I notice she sneezes but this was the first time it's ever happened with a fragrance.

Hi Callie, I like the physical therapist. He seems to know his stuff and also seems nice. He spent a lot of time with me and explained everything. I was very pleased with the therapist and am hoping this continues to be a positive experience because I need to be able to work hard with someone who knows what they are doing.

My biggest obstacle is the lack of movement in my ankle and heel. He explained that it will take a year to really get much of the movement back and I might never get it all back. We are aiming for 80% at least so I can do most activities eventually but there is no prediction and it will take a long time. He did say that the hardware I have in my leg might also be a limiting factor. He also warned me that while my foot and ankle are very swollen right now once I start weight bearing exercises it will get much more swollen. I was strong though and didn't let it get me upset. I am going to give it my all and hope for the best.

The therapist did a lot of passive movement of my ankle and heel and it was uncomfortable but not terrible. He showed me some new exercises that I already forgot LOL but I have a printout and will try to remember with that.
I am in a bit of discomfort today because of all the moving of my ankle and I also did the exercises at home throughout the day so I am sore but have been icing to help.

He also gave me resistance bands to strengthen my arms since I am exhausted when I use the walker but he didn't show me the exercises as we really ran over the session time wise. The printout on the resistance bands that he gave me has me attaching the band to doorknobs and well I don't see how I can safely do that in the condition I am in now so will do the resistance band exercises I can do from the couch.

My next session is Wed and then Friday. Greg didn't get to work till noon today. I am not sure how we will be able to sustain this schedule when his work gets busy and there is no one who can help me with this besides him. It is a 15 minute walk/wheel to the place and then (and I had to LOL about this) there are stairs to get into the PT place. But Greg went in to find out what we could do and after much confusion they got a movable ramp and we went up that in the building adjacent. Then went in another small entranceway from that building to another building where the PT place is. All very tight and involved with a wheelchair and small entranceways. I also have to let them know a day in advance of my appointment so they make sure they have the ramp available.

I guess the people they generally have come there for PT are more mobile than I am but where there is a will there is a way. Just saying it is more involved that just getting me there and back and I don't know of anyone who can take the time and energy and help me besides Greg. So I got the earliest appointments I could for the next few weeks (ranging from 7:40 AM to 8:40 AM) with the exception of this Friday when they only had afternoon available and I am keeping my fingers crossed that Greg's schedule permits my PT visits.

I am sorry the Creed perfume you bought is not what you were hoping for. I hate when we spend a lot of money on a perfume (or anything else for that matter) and it doesn't meet expectations. Would you consider trying to sell it to recoup some of your losses? If you know you do not care for it you might want to sell it if you can. I am not sure if you bought a sample and wore it for a few days to see how you felt and it still fell short or you just bought it cold. I always buy a sample (Luckyscent, Perfumed Court or Surrender to Chance) and wear the fragrance for as many days as it lasts to decide if it is FBW. I hope your sweet doggie has recovered from her fragrance overload. I get the same reaction and am very sensitive to most fragrances. But fortunately I can wear the ones I love.

Have a good night Callie, sweet dreams and give your dog a hug from me. :wavey:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy! How are you today?

I am delighted to hear you liked the therapist today. That is a bit weird a PT place would be so inaccessible for wheelchairs and not have an elevator to get in to it. Glad you were able to get early appointments so Greg can take you and then go to work. I bet you are sore from the outing and the exercises but it’s like paying those pesky bills – you just do it!

Isn’t that self-adhesive gauze amazing? Yay for no tape.

Your beach house sounds awesome. Good idea to get your laundry done daily especially if you want to have clean cycling clothes again the next day. I tend to do laundry about 3 times a week so I don’t have to do so much as once.

Marty wants me to learn how to play golf but it’s always kind of been his “guy” thing. Lately though when his golf buddies are busy he won’t go play so I guess if I learned how we could go play. It’s not a bad thought though for either of us to learn how to play. Maybe we could get so good at playing golf we could beat our husbands.

I see lightning out my front door – I think I’ll go take a peak. Now that they are building a house across the street from us I have to go look out another window to see the sunset and to watch lightning.

Take care.
Marcy

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marcy said:
Hi Missy! How are you today?

I am delighted to hear you liked the therapist today. That is a bit weird a PT place would be so inaccessible for wheelchairs and not have an elevator to get in to it. Glad you were able to get early appointments so Greg can take you and then go to work. I bet you are sore from the outing and the exercises but it’s like paying those pesky bills – you just do it!

Isn’t that self-adhesive gauze amazing? Yay for no tape.

Your beach house sounds awesome. Good idea to get your laundry done daily especially if you want to have clean cycling clothes again the next day. I tend to do laundry about 3 times a week so I don’t have to do so much as once.

Marty wants me to learn how to play golf but it’s always kind of been his “guy” thing. Lately though when his golf buddies are busy he won’t go play so I guess if I learned how we could go play. It’s not a bad thought though for either of us to learn how to play. Maybe we could get so good at playing golf we could beat our husbands.

I see lightning out my front door – I think I’ll go take a peak. Now that they are building a house across the street from us I have to go look out another window to see the sunset and to watch lightning.

Take care.
Marcy

Good morning Marcy, I hope you had a good night and enjoyed the lightning show. I like watching it as long as I am safe inside but thunder does startle me especially with the cats being so skittish when a storm comes.

Self adhesive gauze is amazing. Especially because I tend to be allergic to most adhesives and tapes but so far so good with this. Though I am a bit red around it I am not itchy with it so yay.

Let's learn how to play golf Marcy. After we are both healed from our surgeries (your upcoming one). I vacillate between thinking it would be fun to play to thinking it would be too slow a game for me. But we won't know till we try and think how pleased Marty would be if you could play with him. And why not be able to join the guys. It would be fun. :appl:

Have a great day Marcy and chat with you soon. :wavey:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, hi.

You are sounding so much better! as though a corner has been turned. Lot's of work ahead, I know, but yay for you!

sending [[[hugs]]] and best wishes for more good sleep.

funny_cat_face515_1.jpg

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, just checking back with you. You have been in my thoughts and prayers. I am so glad things are progressing for you. It sound like you are recovering little by little and inch by inch. That is a great thing. I am so happy to hear that you have been able to start PT. That is great news! You seem to be doing really well with the frustration that must come from such a long process. But your process is amazing so that must keep you going. Your incision looks really good to my eyes, and although there will of course be some scarring, it doesn't look like it will be really bad. My son was 16 when he had a similar surgery and his didn't look as good as your early on. He has a scar but it has faded pretty well. Your looks like it is going to be really good. All good news for you my friend, it seems. I am so happy for you!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne|1408448986|3735402 said:
Missy, hi.

You are sounding so much better! as though a corner has been turned. Lot's of work ahead, I know, but yay for you!

sending [[[hugs]]] and best wishes for more good sleep.

funny_cat_face515_1.jpg

LOL love the funny face Jimmianne. :bigsmile: Too cute. Which reminds me how is your invisalign process going? Hope it is now smooth sailing for you! Thank you for your hugs and support and sending hugs back at ya!

luv2sparkle said:
Hi Missy, just checking back with you. You have been in my thoughts and prayers. I am so glad things are progressing for you. It sound like you are recovering little by little and inch by inch. That is a great thing. I am so happy to hear that you have been able to start PT. That is great news! You seem to be doing really well with the frustration that must come from such a long process. But your process is amazing so that must keep you going. Your incision looks really good to my eyes, and although there will of course be some scarring, it doesn't look like it will be really bad. My son was 16 when he had a similar surgery and his didn't look as good as your early on. He has a scar but it has faded pretty well. Your looks like it is going to be really good. All good news for you my friend, it seems. I am so happy for you!

Thank you so much luv2sparkle. I appreciate all your encouragement and support throughout. I am not too concerned about scarring as I just want to be able to walk and cycle and be active again and without pain. I am just hanging on to that hope that will eventually be my outcome. If I look too far ahead it is still too overwhelming especially given what my surgeon and new physical therapist say about recovery so I am taking it one day at a time.

I am so pleased for you and your son that he is doing so well after his traumatic experience. Again, thank you for sharing his story with me because it inspires me to not feel down or feel like giving up when things get tough. I know people have been through this and worse so I look towards them for strength.

On a sort of related note I ordered some shorts from gap (.com) since getting to the stores and trying on clothing has been difficult and they came this morning and all fit woohoo. And I got them on sale unlike the sporting good store near me where none of their summer clothing is yet on sale so even better. Now I just need tops to go with them. I don't usually wear shorts and work out tops so I am sort of starting from scratch. No idea what tops to get so if anyone has any ideas. I prefer sleeveless and breathable. It's funny that I am even thinking about this given what I am dealing with but I guess it takes my mind off things for a while even if it is related. I mean it helps to look good when one is at physical therapy don't you think LOL.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, It sounds like your physical therapy session went extremely well. I'm sorry you were in pain afterward. Is it okay to take something stronger than Tylenol after your session or even before. I know you have made remarks about some of the meds possibly making you a little woozy and unsteady on your feet. I know I sound incredibly stupid with these questions but I've never been thru anything like this, so please forgive me.

You are one tough little cookie with a fantastic attitude. You will get thru of this and will be doing the all the things you love with Greg. I will be here to support you any way I can. You made comments about your leg becoming more swollen when you begin the weight bearing exercises. When and if this happens please try to look at it as part of healing process and not let it get you down. This will be a temporary phase. Your leg will not remain swollen forever and days it bothers you come here to get it out of your system. You can complain, cry or whatever and I will be here to support you along with everyone else in this community who loves you. You are not alone in any of this Sweetie. I wish we could just fast forward and have this behind you. HUGS!

I will post again later today when I have a little more time.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1408460074|3735489 said:
Hi Missy, It sounds like your physical therapy session went extremely well. I'm sorry you were in pain afterward. Is it okay to take something stronger than Tylenol after your session or even before. I know you have made remarks about some of the meds possibly making you a little woozy and unsteady on your feet. I know I sound incredibly stupid with these questions but I've never been thru anything like this, so please forgive me.

You are one tough little cookie with a fantastic attitude. You will get thru of this and will be doing the all the things you love with Greg. I will be here to support you any way I can. You made comments about your leg becoming more swollen when you begin the weight bearing exercises. When and if this happens please try to look at it as part of healing process and not let it get you down. This will be a temporary phase. Your leg will not remain swollen forever and days it bothers you come here to get it out of your system. You can complain, cry or whatever and I will be here to support you along with everyone else in this community who loves you. You are not alone in any of this Sweetie. I wish we could just fast forward and have this behind you. HUGS!

I will post again later today when I have a little more time.

Thank you so much Callie. You are a sweetheart. (((Hugs))).
And you never ask any stupid questions. Never. I appreciate every single question you ask. The pain isn't bad enough to take any of those opiate pain meds. Tylenol is OK because I cannot take ibuprofen or aspirin ever again due to the esophagitis I had this winter. So I will make do it's OK. Compared to what I had been through pain wise I can manage no problem. Thank you for caring!

Question for azstonie, rainwood or dee or anyone else who has experience with this. I am ready to transition to not sleeping with the boot and the PT recommended the ASO ankle stabilizer which I overnighted via Amazon and I received today. In the meantime I did some reading and it seems that they offer a more protective (for tibia and fibula breaks) brace called the aso flex hinge. It is 4 times the price but worth it if it is good. Thoughts?
http://www.amazon.com/Ankle-Stabilizer-Orthosis-Hinge-Medium/dp/B002S967SA/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=1-3&keywords=aso+flex+hinge

To add another layer of confusion I called one of the sites selling it and explained to the salesperson what I was hoping it would do (protect my leg during sleep) and he recommended a much cheaper alternative that he said was better for what I want it for. Keep in mind they sell ASO on that site as well so I don't think he has any motivation in selling me another product and I appreciate his honesty. This is what he recommends:
http://www.braceshop.com/ossur-gel-stirrup-ankle-brace.htm
or anything on this page too.
http://www.braceshop.com/braces-and-supports/ankle-braces/stirrup-ankle-braces.htm?limit=32

I was hoping to get some educated opinions from you guys since you have experience with this. Thanks so much.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Missy -

It sounds like you're doing well. Being able to sleep is such an amazing healer for both the mind and body.

My break wasn't as complicated as yours so I can't advise on any of the braces/protective devices. I was nervous about sleeping without the boot but as another poster said, I seemed to intuitively treat that leg gently even in my sleep. My guess is you would too, but if I were you, I'd probably start with the brace I had, see if that works, and if that's uncomfortable, try going without one night. My guess is that you'll either transitional quickly to nothing from a brace or skip the brace entirely unless you are a really violent sleeper.

To answer an earlier question, I used icing post-surgery to reduce the swelling and not really for pain management. BUT I will say that your surgeon is right. Swelling does increase after you start weight-bearing so it's really important to elevate and ice then. My ankle would also start to hurt sometimes and the icing did help with that too, but it may just be because the swelling was the root problem, and reducing the swelling would then reduce the pain as well. I don't really know for sure, but icing was my best friend for a long time and occasionally still is. I also was on a pretty steady diet of ibuprofen for awhile after I started walking to manage both swelling and pain. I'm not sure the ibuprofen was necessary, but it did help for awhile. I eventually just stopped taking it as my ankle got better.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rainwood|1408482245|3735695 said:
Missy -

It sounds like you're doing well. Being able to sleep is such an amazing healer for both the mind and body.

My break wasn't as complicated as yours so I can't advise on any of the braces/protective devices. I was nervous about sleeping without the boot but as another poster said, I seemed to intuitively treat that leg gently even in my sleep. My guess is you would too, but if I were you, I'd probably start with the brace I had, see if that works, and if that's uncomfortable, try going without one night. My guess is that you'll either transitional quickly to nothing from a brace or skip the brace entirely unless you are a really violent sleeper.

To answer an earlier question, I used icing post-surgery to reduce the swelling and not really for pain management. BUT I will say that your surgeon is right. Swelling does increase after you start weight-bearing so it's really important to elevate and ice then. My ankle would also start to hurt sometimes and the icing did help with that too, but it may just be because the swelling was the root problem, and reducing the swelling would then reduce the pain as well. I don't really know for sure, but icing was my best friend for a long time and occasionally still is. I also was on a pretty steady diet of ibuprofen for awhile after I started walking to manage both swelling and pain. I'm not sure the ibuprofen was necessary, but it did help for awhile. I eventually just stopped taking it as my ankle got better.

Thanks so much rainwood. I think for now based on your advice I will try the basic ASO that I just got today one of these nights and see how that goes.

I just showed Greg the options and he feels the Ossur gel stirrup is not as supportive as the ASO and thinks I should get the pricier ASO and keep the basic ASO for later on and just forget the Ossur. The thing I like about the Ossur is you can so much more easily ice your leg with it and help the swelling and pain.

I am going to ask the PT tomorrow and see if he has an opinion. I am not sure if I will be daring enough to sleep without the boot tonight but I will soon and the ASO is ready for use as I just watched the video on how to put it on. I am so ready to go without the boot but I am also apprehensive. I so do not want to repeat the last 2 months and really need to avoid any setbacks.

Thank you also for the info on the icing. It makes sense and I have been icing more frequently on your rec and it does feel better. Oh, and I am a very gentle sleeper usually. I hardly move so hopefully when I go without the boot I will be OK. I am just nervous about sleeping on my side but I so badly want to. I am a side sleeper all the way and these last couple of months sleeping on my back has been challenging.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy;
I thought there were some good choices on that very last link you have. You want air flow but you want support to keep structures protected and in place. Order a couple of choices assuming you can return anything that won't work for you, that would be my advice.

Sigh. I'm sorry to hear what you have to go through to get in/out of PT facility. WTH. Until i had my injury and rehab I had no IDEA what the disabled had to go through but I do know and I totally support building ramps, bathrooms, elevators, you name it!

Re swelling. Well. You have a choice here and you can go back and forth as you deem correct. You want to keep the swelling minimized. But you want to get started on rehab too. You'll have to be your own advocate with any PT because their inclination is to usually push, the old NO Pain No Gain mentality.

Which does not apply to you. You had a traumatic injury and surgery. You aren't someone who allowed themselves to become dangerously deconditioned and thus needs a foot up their ahem.

Its going to take the tincture of time to put you back into your baseline.

Please, when it comes to swelling, any PT facility should offer your ultrasound or laser to reduce swelling, massage with and without ice, electrical stimulation, etc.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1408488780|3735781 said:
Hi Missy;
I thought there were some good choices on that very last link you have. You want air flow but you want support to keep structures protected and in place. Order a couple of choices assuming you can return anything that won't work for you, that would be my advice.

Sigh. I'm sorry to hear what you have to go through to get in/out of PT facility. WTH. Until i had my injury and rehab I had no IDEA what the disabled had to go through but I do know and I totally support building ramps, bathrooms, elevators, you name it!

Re swelling. Well. You have a choice here and you can go back and forth as you deem correct. You want to keep the swelling minimized. But you want to get started on rehab too. You'll have to be your own advocate with any PT because their inclination is to usually push, the old NO Pain No Gain mentality.

Which does not apply to you. You had a traumatic injury and surgery. You aren't someone who allowed themselves to become dangerously deconditioned and thus needs a foot up their ahem.

Its going to take the tincture of time to put you back into your baseline.

Please, when it comes to swelling, any PT facility should offer your ultrasound or laser to reduce swelling, massage with and without ice, electrical stimulation, etc.

Thanks azstonie. The PT wants to wait on doing any massage because my incisions still needing a ways to go re healing and he is concerned about pressing around it. He thinks by next week he can start working on my foot and ankle to relieve some of the edema. I actually bought some compression socks to help with that but right now I cannot get them on my foot as I don't want to put any undue pressure on it especially with the incisions on my leg. I am not sure when I can start wearing the compression sock as I came up with the idea on my own and ordered it and then asked the PT about it Monday and he said it was a good idea.

And I am totally with you on making places handicap accessible. However I always felt that way since much of my patient population are in wheelchairs or physically challenged in some way. There is no way I am going to be able to take the NYC subway for a very very long time. Though that might not be a bad thing lol. Never loved the subways though I did love the ease with which they got me places and the bargain price. Cabs are uber expensive OMG. When I think about all the $$$ I am spending on this that could have gone to jewelry purchases... ;(

One last question and not sure you will be able to help me with this. Greg bought silicone strips today to aid with minimizing scar tissue as I tend to keloid. And of course I forgot to mention that fact to the surgeon. It just seemed unimportant when I was dealing with having broken bones in my leg lol. I know I need to ask the PA about it and I will because I have no clue when my incisions would be ready for the silicone strips but just wondering if you have any experience with them? Thanks again and have a good night. :wavey:

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Missy -

Aztonite's post reminded me that I always iced before I left the PT facility. Usually about 10 minutes or so. If they don't offer, ask for it. It really does help to ice right after you've exercised the leg.

And both of my PT places had stairs to get into them - the first place had stairs up, the second had stairs down. It really is a WTF kind of experience. Stairs? Really?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results