shape
carat
color
clarity

Now I really did it :((

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm on large coffee number two now... LOL starting to help :lol: Missy, I really love that article! Made my day - or at least coffee break! Jimmianne, would love to hear what kind of hair cut you are getting :)

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, I know that you want a white countertop, but I just had to show you this one. (I'm back at the countertop search as my dad went "are you crazy" with me for wanting marble :lol: :lol: :lol: )

article-2574331-1c0fd34800000578-362_634x423.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing and I LOVE that kitchen Scandi! The dark wood floors perfectly complement the black countertops. Our wood floors are not that dark and I don't want to stain them that dark since maintenance (i.e. show every little bit of cat hair and dust) would be a nightmare I think. But I LOVE that kitchen. And LOL to your dad. He is right and even if it didn't cost a lot of money to redo in a few years the aggravation and time to keep redoing the countertops is just more trouble than one should have to go through IMO.

How is your dad doing these days? Fully recovered I hope!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I am so glad your dad is all better Scandi. :appl:
Thank you for letting us know. :wavey:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi NIRDIs!

Junebug, thinking of you.

Gypsy, I can email you the pics you like; they are all from a point and shot so I don’t know how big they would blow up for you. We left our digital SLR home for that trip. Missy has my email address.

Scandi, I’d be mad too - those logs have been nothing but a disaster and headache for you so far and they are giving you grief? Grr. I like the black countertop with the white kitchen. Glad to hear your dad is coming along well.

Jimmianne, I hate to hear you aren’t enjoying your asscher ring. I have been there trying to convince myself I like it or it’s not that bad but once those thoughts sink in my head I don’t ever change. I think if you moved the diamond to a bezel set you’d enjoy wearing it frequently. I am with you on not asking Tony to redo your ring; the guy I work with here locally is very sensitive about do-overs. How did your haircut turn out? I need to get my bangs at least trimmed. Yes the Killer Rabbit is eating a “otter pop” as Marty called it. We got it at the Monteray aquarium gift shop. I am always cheap and won’t upgrade my phone unless I am eligible for an upgrade. Marty has paid full price before for something he wants but I won’t. I don’t know if I’ll go with blue tooth earphones or not. They would be convenient.

Missy, love the photo of HRH yawning. I am right there with her. Nice article. I can’t stand this waiting for news on my car. They had to unload the car since the carrier ship took off for Germany at about 7 pm our time tonight. I watched it pass that spot on EarthCam again in the dark.

I went to lunch with a friend today which was a nice break in my day.

Marty is going out of town probably on Saturday so now I have no idea what to do about a car since my car goes in the body shop on Monday. I might try driving the truck to work. The problem is even if I feel comfortable driving the truck around town no way no how will I want to drive it to DIA and park it. Marty won’t take the shuttle home. Brat! I think the best thing to do is rent myself a car for a few days. I really should have got these few things fixed this summer but who knew the car would get here early (probably) and Marty would be gone.

They moved my wheel repair to Friday so I should cry and whine at the Porsche dealer and ask for a free car from them. Ha! I am sure that would be no problem.

Marcy

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning girls! Happy last day of summer. OMG how did this happen? Summer flew by despite the horrid heat waves we had here.

Marcy, can you drive Marty to the airport and pick him up so you can keep his car while he is away? Or can he take a car service to and from the airport? I am sure you already thought of these alternatives but just throwing it out there. It might be cheaper than renting a car for him to take car service to and from the airport. Or am I totally confused and Marty only has a truck and he is leaving it for you to drive. If so never mind. I literally got one hour sleep last night and well it wasn't good. I cannot stop thinking about J and her cats and how tragic life can be and ultimately how hard it is for most people. I need to shut my brain off because I need to sleep but the more I tell myself to stop thinking when I am trying to fall asleep the more wide awake I am. I need some sort of drug but unfortunately I am immune to them (at least the ones I have tried) for the most part. OK enough about that.

Glad you had fun with your friend at lunch yesterday and hope you have a good day at work today.

Scandi, cool virtual kitchen app. Thanks for sharing it. Wish they had more options but very cool thank you! Hope you are getting the log situation sorted out and sending good luck vibes your way.

Junie, hope you are OK. We are all thinking of you. (((Hugs))).

I visited my girlfriend yesterday and took some photos of her kitchen which I had already seen countless times but now that we are redoing our kitchen I am paying more attention and took photos. I love her Caesarstone countertops but not her modern cabinets. It's funny because we have a similar aesthetic with clothing and minimalism in general but well I forgot how modern her kitchen is. Her apartment is all white which I love but Greg hates so that is not an option. She has a fear of color which I do not LOL. She has had a very interesting life and was in big finance before she switched careers in her late 30s and became an artist and professor at Parson's design school before she retired.

I also got to see her latest photos from her 7 week Ecaudor trip (4 weeks in the Galapagos). WOW. What an unbelievable trip. And I also got to see her trip to the Amazon and Ireland and Iceland. She and her dh travel a lot now that they are retired and while I had seen the other photos before I didn't see it on the big screen TV like I got to yesterday. It is weird though since her dh is also retired now he was there the whole time so it was different than when it was just visiting her. I love him too but well we couldn't really have much girl talk. Next time LOL.

OK I am off to get ready for the day. I am hoping I can make it through today without falling on my face and injuring myself since I really am a bit shaky from one hour's sleep. I hope everyone has a good day! :wavey:

maureenskitchen.jpg

maureenkitchen.jpg

mskitchen.jpg

maureenslightlove.jpg

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning!

I saw a movie I loved yesterday - "My Old Lady" with Kevin Kline and Maggie Smith. Filmed in a Paris neighborhood and just beautiful cinematography. It would have been great anyway, but having that backdrop was the icing on the cake.
Got a minor haircut, so it's still long because I had lunch with my DD before the appointment and she said she loved my hair and I looked beautiful. That was enough for me - no major change.
For now I'll keep the ring Tony made. It DOES look excellent with black clothing. Although in a perfect world I would LOVE it, part of the time I do like it, and the reset statistics are not good...first it was in a setting from SK. He insisted on those unflattering tab prongs, but I thought he was a bench god so I said yes. Then the pre-loved Martin Flyer setting which turned out to be 1.5mm too large, now Tony's. So I think I'm done trying to get this one right for a while and would rather have a Lacanche range instead of a 4th setting. haha

Missy, oh no to an hour's sleep. Hang in there. Your friend is so lucky to have you, but what a strain. At least you can be comforted by the fact that you are making her life better by going through this with her. Hard for tender-hearted people like yourself.
Are you getting the gloomy East coast weather as well? It's pouring here, so I know you are either getting it now or will in a bit.
Yes, first day of Fall. We are approaching bling weather. The darker the days, the more appealing the shiney things become.
Hugs to you.

Today my young friends are supposed to drive to the coast to board their honeymoon cruise and not only is the weather foul, but they don't have enough gas to get there and there is no gas available anywhere here. Is anyone else having gas pump woes?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Kids!

Missy, yes tomorrow is the beginning of fall. We are already seeing the leaves turn around here in town. Sorry you didn’t sleep very well. I understand the difficulty to shut off your mind when your heart is heavy and what is happening to your friend is pretty sad. Life is certainly never fair but we just try to do the best we can. I hope you get a good night’s sleep tonight.

Jimmianne, I think I saw that movie; I’ll have to look it up and see if that is the one I remember. Glad you enjoyed it. Oh no to gas pump woes. I think I saw a news clip today some pipelines opened up again today.

We had our fall BBQ at work today. It was adequate. They had either pulled pork for beef brisket, beans, mac and cheese, slaw and brownies. They didn’t have knives for I used 2 forks to eat my beef; it was good but had lots of fat so picked around it. I saved room though for a big, fat juicy steak for supper. We went out to dinner. This place has the best steaks and I always get the same one. I brought home enough to make a french dip for supper tomorrow night.

We were watching TV and her this awful crashing noise. Marty went downstairs and found a massive overflow of ice in our ice maker downstairs. I guess the ice froze up working the lever up so it kept making ice. The ice was falling down in the freezer and making all sorts of noise. Fun!

Looks like I only need to rent a car for 2 days. Marty leaves Sunday and gets home Tuesday. Maybe I’ll just take 2 days off. Of course I’d be BORED being home with no car. It would save me money though.

Have a great Thursday.
Marcy

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning girls!
So much to do, but just wanted to say hello :wavey: Last night I was climbing the scaffolding inside the new part of the house, trying to check that the electrician had marked out the right places for the lights that will be in the ceiling. Kind of scary, kind of fun. Me and my headlight climbing around... it was quite a bit of "wow this is high". There are no floors yet, so it is faaaaar down to the ground, lol.

Missy, thinking of all "your" kitties!

June, I'm so sorry, I don't know what else to tell you.

Gypsy, thinking of you and wishing I could help.

Callie, how are you doing? Hugs!

Marcy, I too love a good steak :) can't wait for your car and hopefully the pictures ;-) That barbeque sounds a bit... 2 forks, haha, hope the meat was tender :lol:

Jimmianne, I'm with your DD. You have gorgeous hair! I would never cut it, just go Rapunzel on us :)

Rainwood, how is work? It is always so hard when the holiday is over, don't you think?

All the rest of you - hope you are doing as well as can be this week!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning girls and happy Autumn. My favorite season of all. I love when the colors start changing and it becomes a lovely colorful landscape and the air is crisp and bright with the most beautiful sunrises and sunsets.

Junie, hoping all is going as well as it can be and sending more hugs your way.

Marcy, what? No knives at the work barbecue? Were they afraid there were some disgruntled employees there perhaps LOL. OK maybe not such a funny joke. It is becoming more and more difficult to find topics that aren't off topic/not PC if you kwim. Glad you made it work with 2 forks and I vote for taking 2 days off work while Marty is gone. Make it a girls night and they can pick you up and drop you off or you can have a slumber party with some of your girlfriends. Endless possibilities...

Scandi, you go girl. That's the way to do it. Need to make sure they are doing it right!

Jimmianne, thanks for the movie rec. I will check it out and glad your haircut turned out so well. Your DD is right about her beautiful her mom is...inside and out. I am not sure about the gas here and I sure hope not as I still remember the gas issue during Sandy and it was weeks ? where it was a challenge to find gas for the car. Sorry about your young friends and I hope they are able to take their honeymoon.

Rainwood, Grace might actually be coming to NYC for the antique jewelry show at the end of October...just saying. :Up_to_something:

Hope everyone is having a good week. :wavey:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That would be so much fun to see Grace. She is a lovely person with lovely diamonds. I will be away then, Missy, but wanted you to know that my hypnotist encouraged me to go to Chez Adam with you sometime! Happy Missy Friday. Is this still Friday for you?

Amazingly I found an open gas station in a small town near me, called the honeymoon kids and they drove right down and got a tank of gas and are now in SC ready to board their cruise this morning.

Marcy, how could you be bored with the NIRDIs to entertain you?! I realize you can't stay on PS for two whole days though :confused:

Isn't funny how the weather and leaves changed dramatically in the very first days of Fall? Right on schedule.

Scandi, do you get Fall over your way? Are you ready for the competition with your fursweetie?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Jimmianne, yay for your lovely friends being able to go on their honeymoon thanks to you! Good going!

Yes today is my "Friday" and the weather is not autumn like here yet but soon. And I'm with you. How can Marcy be bored with us here? Good point. :cheeky:

And I am ready for you whenever you want to visit Chez Adam with me. :devil: :halo:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1474543857|4079524 said:
And I am ready for you whenever you want to visit Chez Adam with me. :devil: :halo:
yay!
and I found another very good movie - "My Afternoons With Margueritte". I've just switched from Netflix to Amazon Prime and there seem to be many more good movies on Amazon.

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne|1474542755|4079520 said:
I realize you can't stay on PS for two whole days though :confused:

Why ???? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fall has been here for a while now. We are starting rainy season, lol. September and October are OK. November - not so much.. Dark, rainy, cold. December is much better. Then snow start falling (hopefully) and everything gets white and pretty and light again :halo:

So not ready for the competition with furbaby. Starting to dread the whole thing - as always. I always look forward to these things - until they approach.. And then I'm like: Nah. maybe stay at home? Instead of going up there and being disappointed? LOL
And a friend of mine / ours is going also, he was not supposed to but changed plans. So that is good. Kind of. Nice to see him again. But he is extremely good and his dogs even better and we are competing in the same "group" so might be going up against each other... :lol: :lol: :lol: That should be "fun" :lol: But good to have him there, furbaby is generally more on top of her game when he is there, because we are training a lot together, so she knows that I mean business when he is there :lol: And I can get some good advice if I need them. But if my furbaby ruins the chance for his dogs... oh now I'm going to look for a hole in the ground up front so that I'm ready...

Sorry. My brain is stuck in dog mode. Will give you a full report on Monday. Probably missing in action until then. Unless we win. Then you will know immediately, lol. 8-)

I think I must go to NYC one day to visit you and go diamond shopping.. Maybe next year :Up_to_something:

Forgive typos. My auto correct is stuck in another language and thus "helping" a lot..

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, that toothy roar is Francesca's reaction to the possibility of fat-fingered Vulgarian presidency!!!!

Hi my NIRDI babes. I'll be posting shortly, I've had a run of turd after turd the past month so I'm just now starting to look up again.I'm glad we're all still above ground at least!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning girls! It's Friday woohoo. :appl:

Jimmianne, thank you for the movie recs. We have Amazon Prime too so I will check it out. One of the negatives of TIVO (and it really is one of the only drawbacks) is the interface (is this the right term IDK) doesn't work as well with Netflix, Amazon etc so we used to have issue switching to Netflix and Amazon but we got Roku and that helps. I am clueless when it comes to these things and how it works so I am always relieved when it actually works. Here's one rec from me. We started watching a funny Netflix original series last night called Easy. We only watched 3 episodes so far but I am giving it a thumbs up.

Scandi, cmon over. I am sure we won't run out of blingy things to see and fun things to do. This is my favorite time of year in NYC. Autumn in NY is a beautiful time of year.

Good luck with F this weekend and yay for your friend and his furbaby joining you and adding moral support and encouragement. Good luck to all of you and I hope your dogs have fun with the competition. :appl:

Kristie, you are doing A-OK and as you write we are all still standing so that really is an accomplishment after all the NIRDIs have been through and you are coming through the challenges really well and soon it will be smooth sailing. Hopefully sooner vs later. (((Hugs))).

Junie, how are you doing? Continued good thoughts for you and your mom. (((Hugs))).

We rescheduled the kitchen design appointment this afternoon to October (4th I think) since we will be there for 2 weeks soon and the kitchen designer wanted to come too early today so we just rescheduled to a more convenient time for everyone. I am looking forward to seeing what he says about the possibilities and I hope ultimately this is the kitchen design people we go with because they are highly rated and we don't have anyone else in mind. However if it turns out they are not a good fit we will go back to the drawing board.

OK we are off to the beach house soon. Have a wonderful day girls. :wavey:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi guys just wanted to stop in and say hi, miss you all, hope you're all doing OK.

It's Friday, I hope that brings a smile for all of us at least a little bit! :wavey:

Not much going on here, usual ups and downs I guess. I feel I get so easily affected by everything. I've come a long way from how I used to be, but I still find myself agonizing so much more than other people over the same things. Or at least from what I can tell. I'm part of a group where I'm feeling a certain way and I want to bring some things up to the organizers but I'm not sure I should (the whole choose your battles thing and everyone has an opinion thing) so I kind of bottle it in. I've dealt with worse being in this group and I made it through but you know how it is, every time feels just as...uncertain I guess.

scandanavian, good luck on your dog show!

marcy, I found it so cute when you said the BBQ was "adequate." I don't know why.

june, I know the tough situation you have going on, think of you often.

Everyone else, hi. Hugs to all of you.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi NIRDIs!

Scandi, you daredevil you. I am glad you safely got off the ladder after exploring what the electrician did. I wouldn’t know if it was done right or not. I love good steak too and this place here in town sure knows where to buy that particular cut. No the brisket at work wasn’t very tender but I was able to pick out enough to fill me up for lunch. Good luck with the dog competition! For some reason I thought you’d be snowy like we are - October to May. Now I know.

Jimmianne, that’s great your young friends made their cruise. That will be fun. There is certainly enough pretty pictures on PS to look at for a few days and I know all of the NIRDIs will keep me company.

Missy, I am glad you had a nice ride today and ice cream of course. I bet NYC is gorgeous in the fall. I drove home the back way today to enjoy more trees. How exciting to have the kitchen design appointment in a few weeks.

CJ, I am sorry to hear you agonize over things. I understand that and I know how frustrating it can be to keep things bottled up inside. Come here and vent anytime; it sure helps me. The best thing I found was working on one little bit or piece at a time and try to keep in mind what I can change and what I can’t. I hope things get better and easier for you.

Kristie, I hope each and every day looks better and brighter to you.

I spent my morning at the Audi / Porsche dealer. I turned in my papers for financing but since my sales associate never came in while I was there it didn’t get processed or finished.

The guy that fixed my wheels did a fabulous job. They look brand new. It took him about 3 hours and he did comment 2 of my wheels were really bad but he still charged me $75 each. After seeing my wheels I wished I’d tipped the guy. I added him to my contacts “in case” I have a curbing incident with my SUV.

I was starving so stopped 1/2 way home at a McDonalds which was full of screaming kids and flies but you know those were some of the best french fries I’ve had in a long time. Crispy outside, hot and well done inside. I didn’t eat many just enough to curb my hunger.

This long weekend chores include cleaning out my car, cleaning out and rearranging some stuff in our closet (mostly the shelves and baskets).

Marty leaves early Sunday morning and gets back late Tuesday.

Have a fabulous weekend.
Marcy

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update on todays dog competition: 10 min and we were out. Furbaby didn't want to run. Or at least not hard enough. So that was that as they say. New day tomorrow.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Scandi, thanks for the report. I'm proud of you for your work for this competition and all the best for tomorrow!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today my DD is a model for the North American Bodypainting competition. She has to wear white contact lenses and they look amazing. I'll post photos of her in full paint at some point.

Marcy, I will keep you company if you will keep me company. I was supposed to kitty sit this weekend while DD is away, but now not needing to, so I'll be around. What is your plan for the weekend?
You will NOT need a repair person for your Porsche. Keep saying that. It's a new era! The old Curby is gone, now for a new name [I say, waving my magic wand]. I may be more excited about your car than you are. Hm-m...maybe not : ) 'Cause you get to drive it.

Missy, thanks for the recommendation of Easy. I have a ROKU and love it. I find in general there is a greater selection of better movies on Prime than Netflix, but Netflix is more user friendly.

I had the sudden urge to start horseback riding again after seeing a video of an 87 year old woman with horses. Here is the link: http://www.verborgen-verlangens.nl/
It made me remember how therapeutic it is to move with the motion of the horse, which here at the end of the film is obvious as her joy is so palpable. She is not even riding, but is lying in a sling over the backs of two horses. Amazing.

Hi CJ :wavey:

AZ, hugs!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning girls! Well it's like a switch went off and from the hot hot summer it is now winter here. Wind Northeast (coldest wind you can get here when cycling) over 20 mph with gusts over 30 mph and temperatures in the 50s with windchill lower. Woohoo. :boohoo: I want autumn please! Oh and it is raining right now. :knockout:

But I haven't given up and we *are* going cycling today but the distance will depend on our will power and strength. How did I get to be in my 50s (and Greg in his late 50s) already? I remember like yesterday I was in my 20s and felt invincible. Even Greg is running out of steam and enthusiasm for cycling in crazy winds. :boohoo:

OK I promise I am getting into a better mood right now and just had to get that out of my system and thank you for listening! :kiss:

CJ, I'm sorry you are feeling a bit down and I can understand how you are feeling. Too close for comfort really. I am easily affected by things too and maybe it is because we are HSP (highly sensitive people) but I usually let it out and share my feelings so while I don't know what you are talking about re your group I probably would share with them (or at least a trusted member(s) or two) how I am feeling. Sometimes that's all it takes to feel better if you kwim. (((Hugs))) and I hope this latest issue is resolved to your satisfaction.

Marcy, good job getting your car all fixed up and as good as new. And good for you resisting the temptation to shop while waiting for your car to be finished. You are a stronger woman than I. And you deserve those McFries so don't beat yourself up about it. Hope you and Marty enjoy your Saturday together and that his business trip goes well.

Scandi, oh no, I'm sorry honey. Today is another day and my fingers are crossed that your sweet fur baby does well in the competition. Anyway she is a winner no matter what and she won the lottery with you and your dh as her parents. (((Hugs))).

Jimmianne, thank you for sharing that video. Awesome! I love love love horses and used to go horseback riding when I was little. But haven't gone riding for 20 years or so now. Greg only went horseback riding once and didn't care for it so I guess I just lost the desire. He felt it wasn't fair to the horse. Please do post pics of your DD in full body paint. I cannot wait to see it and hear about how it went. How exciting! And thank you for the rec of Amazon Prime. Since we belong I guess I should use it for movies too and as you say it isn't easy to use to watch movies but worth the effort. Thanks for the rec and please let us know what other movies/shows you like on Amazon.

Have a great day girls. Leaving you with some photos from last night and the ferals enjoying the evening in our backyard. It made us smile and happy that they seem content. Presenting Shasta or Fresca (they look exactly alike so just cannot tell who is who) and Pepsi. Aren't they sweet? 3rd pic I included (even though not a good pic of Shasta or Fresca) because look at the sky and you can see a glimpse of NYC in my shot...wish I got the whole skyline but I wasn't paying attention to that and just trying to surreptitiously take photos of the ferals without them getting scared...

shastaorfrescaandpepsi.jpg

pepsilastnight.jpg

shastaorfrescalastnightinbackyard.jpg

shastaorfresca.jpg

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ, I don't think I've ever bottled anything up inside my whole life.. even when I should have... so I'm probably not the right person to ask. But if I were you, I would just kind of state my mind without making a big deal out of it. I have learned that the hard way at work from the "boys' club". You can say almost anything as long as you don't get worked up about it ;-)

Missy, love love love the picture of the ferals. They look very happy to be alive :) and thank you for you kind sweet words, needed them right now. How are you? You are not old!!! Neither inside nor outside! So get that right out of your head right now missy! (Hahaha) But seriously. Perhaps you are a bit wiser than in your 20's? Not such a bad thing :)

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne, would love to see the pictures of your DD :appl:

Marcy, I love your car stories !! :)

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello, ladies!

Thought I should pop in to let you know I haven't fallen off the end of the earth. I had to lead a 90-minute presentation at the company retreat on Thursday so devoted a lot of time getting ready for that, and then intended to catch up on Friday but there was a 9-hour power outage in the neighborhood so no getting on the internet for me. It made me realize just how ill-prepared I am if the "big one" hits as is predicted for the Pacific Northwest. We so rarely have power outages so most of the flashlights had either dead or almost dead batteries, candles in any number produce a lot of smoke which would be likely to set off the sensitive smoke detectors we had to put in during the last remodel (and still work in an outage because they're on battery power), and there's no possibility of heat because we got rid of the wood-burning fireplace (that always smoked) during said remodel. Turns out I have one of those flashlights you can wind to power up, but didn't know where it was until after the lights came back on. I usually use the flashlight on my phone, but didn't want to run the power down on that as it was one of my few working devices and I wasn't sure when I'd get to recharge it. Next thing I buy will be a solar phone charger. Next after that will be battery operated candles that actually give off some light. Any recommendations?

Now I'm scrambling to get Friday's tasks taken care of plus running around trying to figure out which automatic timers need resetting - something I'm terrible at. I think I've got 2 figured out and now need to do the one I think I know how to do because I've set it before! And I head off to a political fundraiser later this afternoon.

So the power outage was a pain, but if it wasn't for the power outage, my neighbor and I wouldn't have gone out to dinner, and we wouldn't have met one of the most interesting people we've ever encountered. It's not often you're going to meet an 86-year old man (turns 87 next week) who can work his iPhone better than we can, has photos of himself with Jimmy & Rosalyn Carter as well as Wynton Marsalis, can dissect the wonderful interview Charlie Rose did with Bono this week, and talk about what it was like to grow up black in Mississippi during the Depression, what it was like to be a black soldier during WWII (he enlisted at 16!), and his thoughts on the police shootings and Black Lives Matters, working with Jimmy Carter in the 80's, and the job he has now (yes, still employed full-time). A thoroughly delightful man who didn't look a day over 60, and gives me hope that you can stay engaged and connected with the world even as we get old. He lost his wife 2 weeks before I lost my DH. We all took a selfie together so we have each other's e-mail and can get together again. It turns out one of our other neighbors is the man who was sitting on the opposite side of him at the counter (also because of the power outage) and were in a deep conversation when we came so I didn't even recognize him, and they also exchanged contact info! And he told us about how when he recently sold their house in the neighborhood - he showed me a picture and I recognized it immediately because of the beautiful paint colors - the buyers helped him move to his new condo downtown. Hard to believe except in a complete coincidence, the buyers walked into the restaurant partway through, recognized him and came over to hug him and say hello! When we were getting ready to leave, they were coming to get him to sit with them as he wasn't ready to leave at 10:30! We should all be so lucky to be like that at his age.

Missy, glad the ferals are giving you some joy. And the antique jewelry show sounds tempting if there are lots of loose stones from good vendors. I'm interested in OEC's and cushions but not antique settings. My thing would be to find an old stone that I could put in a minimalist, modern setting. I like the combo of old and new a lot. Have you been to the show and do they do a lot of loose stones or just fully set jewelry?

Scandi, sorry that you and F didn't get very far on Saturday, but there's always Sunday and we all have our off days and maybe this was one of them. Better luck tomorrow!

Marcy, excited for your car and glad the astronomy stuff went well. I don't think I'm in the path for the full eclipse, and here it's so often cloudy plus everything interesting always seems to be in the east which is the direction I can't see from my house because of big trees. And I'm glad that after all the hassle, your Audi wheels look good as new. I hit a curb with a tire the other day and thought of you!

Jimmianne, I wish I had your love of horses. I was horse crazy as a kid, we'd go riding occasionally, but my few encounters as an adult were the opposite of relaxing, like the time we went riding in Hawaii and my horse spent the entire trip either turning around to try to bite my leg or knock me off by running under trees or up against big shrubs! He probably sensed that I was uncomfortable or maybe he was just tired of carting tourists around! And I'm glad you found the hypnotherapist helpful, especially if it means more diamond shopping.

CJ, I understand feeling things too deeply. I seem to either be like that or completely oblivious, and only occasionally finding that perfect balance.

Junie, thinking of you and your mom.

Hello to all the other NIRDI's. Oh, and if you have time, head over to Monnie's Cliteracy Project thread and watch the TED talk she linked. I was amazed at what I didn't know about my own body!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi girls -

Just wanted to fill you all in, unfortunately my mother passed away this morning, she'd been declining steadily over these past few weeks. I think the pancreatitis took too much of a toll on her and she just lost the will to go on. It's very difficult but she was so weak and exhausted and now she's at peace, so there's comfort in that. I'm doing ok and I want to thank you all for your support, love, and good wishes as I made my way through this tough time. You're all the best! Love and hugs to you all - I will check in soon with all of you, I've missed my nirdis!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh June. Thank you for letting us know. I am so very sorry.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1474752058|4080363 said:
Hi girls -

Just wanted to fill you all in, unfortunately my mother passed away this morning, she'd been declining steadily over these past few weeks. I think the pancreatitis took too much of a toll on her and she just lost the will to go on. It's very difficult but she was so weak and exhausted and now she's at peace, so there's comfort in that. I'm doing ok and I want to thank you all for your support, love, and good wishes as I made my way through this tough time. You're all the best! Love and hugs to you all - I will check in soon with all of you, I've missed my nirdis!

Oh Junebug: please accept my sincerest condolences. :halo: Your Mama :(( . Healing vibes across the miles.

kind regards--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results