shape
carat
color
clarity

Now I really did it :((

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll be back later but just wanted to throw this out there missy - could you use duct tape to secure the container to the base so they can't be knocked over? I can't tell from the pics if this would work. Ugh, sorry about this!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Junie. Another issue I forgot to mention is that the feeder needs to be relatively simple to remove and put back for trapping and Ann needs to be able to do it when we cannot come here. That added another level of complexity to this situation.

Hoping Greg's fix holds. Those raccoons are smart and aggressive. I mean that small (baby raccoon I don't know or just small adult maybe?) raccoon who fits in through the feeding station had no reason to knock them over. He was in and had access to the food. But instead he was violent and knocked hem both down and both full of food so obviously he is strong enough to do that to a feeder full of food. Greg came to the rescue for now.

Hoping and praying this fix holds because we cannot always come down here on a moment's notice and even more importantly if this doesn't work idk what the solution can be. We thought we had the cats taken care of re food situation when we aren't here at least so sure don't need this becoming a real problem.

Ok we are actually going to attempt a short bike rode despite the lousy weather conditions and then head back to brooklyn. Hope you all enjoy the day and will see you later. (((Hugs))).

Hi Scandi :wavey:

_3729.jpeg

_3730.jpeg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think we were posting at the same time lol - Greg's fix looks good, fingers crossed it works! It looks like it will.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1463839989|4034411 said:
I think we were posting at the same time lol - Greg's fix looks good, fingers crossed it works! It should.

We were Junie! Thank you sweetheart. You are the best. Always here for me and always so supportive. (((Hugs))).

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
((((hugs)))) missy, love you, and always here for you! This should definitely work! :dance: It's a really good idea to have the station anchored, the little stinkers won't be able to knock anything over that way. Greg is awesome! :appl:

LOVE the pics of Bea, SO beautiful! :love: Seeing bling pics really cheers me up. Glad you had a nice time with your parents - they really are both so good-looking! Your mother is just so lovely. They have the best smiles, and so do you! And you look fabulous, I love your outfit.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Good morning, NIRDI's (at least it's still morning here for a little bit longer)!

Missy, I'm so sorry you had to head to the beach because of the baby raccoon. The one good thing is that raccoons eventually "size out" of the feeder and the more it eats, the faster that will happen! And I really admire Greg's ingenuity. I miss having that kind of ingenuity around the house because my creative fixes either don't work or don't work very well. And love the photos of you and the folks at the Botanical Gardens. You got your father's height and your mother's good looks! And Bea, of course, always looks smashing!

Junie, I think you and I are alike because we tend not to post when we're struggling a bit. I totally get that, and how the upcoming move can churn up a lot of emotions, and sometimes it's all you can do to get through the day. I wish I had better advice on how to cope because then I'd take it myself!

Jimmianne, so sorry about the jeweler not having your ring ready. You'd think Tony would have told you if it wasn't going to work! It can be so hard to get people to do what you need and to communicate. But at least you won't have to worry about it while traveling.

Scandi, love the photo. And you have to love the Scottish sense of humor. Although it can be a little too dark sometimes. When we were in Edinburgh, the B & B we stayed at had newspaper clippings of various local murders as decoration in the dining area! And the rest of the place was a bit macabre as well. We wouldn't have been surprised if they were murdering people out in the shed in the backyard where the lights seemed to be on late into the night! And driving in Edinburgh was so challenging because the street names change every few blocks, so many streets are one way, but the next street over can also be one way in the same direction. It sometimes took four of us to figure out how to get to where we wanted to go!

Marcy, it's so smart to get a loaner car of the type you think you might want. It's like an extended test drive. I did that last year and it helped me to decide what I did and didn't want. And it helped me ease in to all that new technology. Glad Marty is home safe and sound from NYC, and hope you have a good weekend.

Kristie, you are so lucky to have someone who's handy around the house. Cherish Bob! And I want to thank you for saving me from having to post in some threads. I'll be going crazy with all the madness being posted and then you come in and say what I was thinking far better than I could have.

I haven't posted for awhile because I've been kind of unmotivated again. I know it's natural, but I don't like feeling sad and it still seems weird how it can just come over me. And living alone you have to learn how to right your own emotional ship. I've been working on doing that the last few days, and I'm feeling better today. Damn, being a grown-up is hard!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi NIRDIs!

Missy, oh no for those pesky raccoons knocking over the feeding shelter. My sister battled them for years with her garden. Looks like Greg came up with a good solution. That is a lot of cat food! Love the beautiful pictures of the Botanic Gardens. It looks fabulous there. Very nice pictures of you and your parents. I enjoyed seeing pictures of pretty Bea as well. Great quote.

Jimmianne, oh no that your ring is not going to be done or a few months. How frustrating for you. Hugs to you. I have been wearing my 1/2 ctw PC studs and I keep toying with making them dangles because you said you like yours so much.

Junebug, duck tape is amazing. It can fix almost anything. Bling pictures are always nice to look at. Sometimes I’ll just go through one of those massive threads in SMTB. My idea of a nice picture book.

Scandinavian, great sign!

Rainwood, I was sure I wanted a Q5 next time but now I know I wouldn’t like it. That was a great idea for you to rent the types of cars you were interested in buying. They are like diamonds we have to test drive them and to get the one we love. Hugs to you for dealing with those bad days. When I got really down/angry/withdrawn/sad I find I need a good cry before I can get through it. I deliberately look a pictures, read stuff that would just make me worse. I have and still think of going to a support group but I don’t. I hope things get easier for you every day. You are in my thoughts.

Our astronomy meeting went well last night. We had a good turn out and a work shop on fixing up used telescopes.

This morning Marty went to play golf. My sister and BIL got here about 10:30. They went to Montana last fall and went to a few Sapphire mines up there and bought bags of tailings to look through for sapphires. My BIL found a light green one that ended up at 1.18 carats they cut as a round so we went looking for ring mount for it. She picked a simple rose gold ring with a criss-cross band. The rose gold really made the green sapphire pop. Then she bought a simple solitaire band for a little white/gray/light blue round (about 4mm) which was the first sapphire she found. She is all excited.

After Marty was done playing golf all of us went to the Olive Garden to eat. We came back here and had some slow churned ice cream with chocolate chip cookies. It was a fun day.

We all had a good laugh about the birthday card I wanted to buy my other sister. Peggy and Junebug will understand sibling drama. My bitter sister always worries about being cheated and thinks she was treated unfairly. So I found a card that the cover said something like “Happy Birthday to my Sister. Being mom’s favorite wasn’t always easy”. The inside said “but you handled it pretty well knowing it was me”. I went and showed Marty the card and he actually walked me back to the card section to make sure I put it back. I thought it was pretty funny and appropriate but she sure wouldn’t be amused. I used to amuse myself with stuff like ask my sisters “what did you do with the $1000 the parents gave you for Christmas?” Yep that’s me the trouble maker.

We are watching Trading Places right now and had popcorn for supper.

Have a great Sunday.
Marcy

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marcy, ah...YOU are the evil sister. LOL
My sister is the evil one in my family and I am the angel..AND Mom's favorite! haha

So, you get it about the food. I swear, my Mom had stuff like mustard at least 10 years old. Good for the immune system :roll:

When you find sapphires are they in rocks or ARE they rocks? Want to go that Arkansas diamond place sometime?

I know I should be cool, but I am stupidly devastated by not having my asscher to wear on my trip. I even looked on JA yesterday to buy a [tiny] replacement asscher to wear.

Not quite awake yet. See you all later!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning girls!

Rainwood, thank you and I shared with Greg your lovely compliment about his creativity. He gets a lot of satisfaction from being able to solve problems so it's a win win. And thank you for the compliments about my parents. I was actually the shortest one in my immediate family when we were younger but that changed with my parents aging. My dad was very tall when he was younger- 6'4" but unfortunately he is dealing with osteoporosis now (and he is on one of the osteo meds but I'm unsure if that will be helpful) and it makes me sad seeing him hunched over plus with his mac degeneration his vision has degraded. I don't love the fact he is driving and it was a bit nerve wracking driving with him on Friday. He drives my nieces around all the time too but I know better than to interfere. My sister and BIL are not people who take advice about their children kindly and I only need one time to learn that lesson so there is nothing I can do. But I don't think my dad should be driving.
Anyway I do cherish my time with both of my parents despite not seeing eye to eye with them some of the time.

I can only imagine the challenges you face on a daily basis and how difficult it is doing everything and figuring it all out. My heart goes out to you and these are not empty words when I say if there is anything I can do to reach out. You and Michael were an amazing team and fortunate to have each other but now by contrast you know what you are missing and it makes it that much harder though you have all those wonderful loving memories it is only normal to be sad and down at times missing him terribly. I know I am not expressing myself as well as I want to (being more of a science person) but I just wanted to say I understand and it wouldn't be normal if you weren't so sad and unmotivated at times dealing with all that you have dealt with for so long. You are an incredibly strong, brave and wonderful woman and I admire you tremendously. You show grace and strength under truly adverse and challenging situations and you are amazing. Again I find myself wishing I could give you big hugs in person but since I cannot right now I am sending so many virtual hugs, good thoughts and lots of love your way.

Marcy, Thank you for enjoying the pics. I think I remember you telling us about your sister dealing with raccoons in her garden. Did she ever come up with a permanent fix? I haven't gone through the security pics from last night yet. Almost scared to LOL. Just not in the mood for another trip to the beach house today yanno? It is dreary and rainy here. Hope you are not having any more snow.

Glad you enjoyed your astronomy meeting last night and that workshop on fixing telescopes sounds very interesting. One day we have to get into that and it would be cool to see if we can see anything where we are. I am not sure it would be possible due to so many lights across the bay in NYC. Might be an exercise in futility. An exercise I am becoming too familiar with lol.

Your sister's sapphire ring sounds lovely. I love rose gold with green.
LOL I am glad you didn't get that birthday card for your other sister. Would have set off WWIII no doubt. Not worth it. Remember, she has to live with her misery and her bad attitude. That is punishment enough. Popcorn for supper is as you know a fave of mine. Do you think if I have that tonight it will mess up my annual physical blood test tomorrow? ::)

Jimmianne, I forget when are you leaving for France? I am sorry you are so disappointed about your asscher but remember you have so much lovely bling you can bring with you and you have something to look forward to upon your return. That counts for something because usually at the end of vacation there is a big letdown but now you have something big to get excited about upon your return.

LLJsmom, hope you had fun yesterday and you and your DD looked so beautiful. LOVE the bling! :love: :love: :love:

We ended up having a good day yesterday. After Greg fixed the feeders (fingers crossed they stay that way) we went for a bike ride despite the threatening skies and cool weather. We only rode 30 miles as I was cold and it was enough but at least we got to ride and didn't get too wet (light rain showers for a bit during the ride) so yay for that. Then we went to Costco at the shore because we didn't get to do that Friday and we are stocked for the week. Not sure what we are going to do today as it is raining here again but we will figure it out.

Sharing a pic of my dad on the beach.
Hope you have a wonderful Sunday! :wavey:

dadonbeach2016.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oy, just went through the pics with Greg. We have at least 3-4 raccoons who can now get in and are eating and climbing all over the gravity feeders. AND there is a NEW cat. :cry: Repeating the mantra one day at a time and we are doing the best we can and it will work out. :pray:

newcat.jpg

newcat.jpeg

raccoonsomg.jpg

raccoonssidebyside.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
adding more raccoon pics...climbing all over the feeding station. And another pic of 7up and the newest kitty with mottled color hair.

raccoonsclimbing.jpg

revolvingraccoondoor.jpg

7up.jpg

newkitty.jpg

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, that's a great shot of your [ huggable : ) ] Dad. It is def. an art photo and should be made larger and hung in your beach house!
I've done that a lot and can help if you like.

thanks for your wise words. Yes, something fun to come home to! Thank you thank you - saves me from being mad at Tony and putting bad juju on my dear asscher.
Meanwhile, I am happy that I found an excellent "deal"..a vintage 1/3 carat asscher ring on Etsy. So I will still have a square travel talisman : ) ... AND some $$ left in the bank. LOL

I arrive on the 3rd. Three days in the city, mostly to rest, then the train to the South to Angers -on the Loire-area: two weeks with people I met at Christmas, then a week with a "new friend" in her Airb&b. You know I have the vintage bike tour ticket, but after reading the fine print - "must ride vintage bike and wear vintage clothing"- it may be a challenge, especially to find a bike to rent at this late date. But - ever hopeful!

again, your Dad...has he tried Prolia shots? Much easier than pills - once every 6 months. I reversed my osteoporosis by 10 years already and have had only very very minor side effects.
I'm sure they don't have to worry about money, but FYI the Prolia company pays for the first shot, or at least did 2 years ago when I started.

edit: again - good heavens that's a great beach shot :appl:

Those raccoonkitties! little creatures with hands :shock: do they seem to get along with the cats OK? There is a very endearing raccoon named Pumpkim on instagram that makes me like raccoons 51o-lkqn4kl.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne, thank you for the Prolia suggestion. I will share it with my dad. He is on Fosomax once weekly now.

Greg just named the newest cat. RootBeer or Rootbeer float but we will call him Rootbeer for now.

Thanks for sharing that cute raccoon Pumpkin with us. IDK how our raccoons get along with the kitties but I would guess they would be aggressive if the ferals get in their way. So definitely not friends. Hopefully they live and let live.

I hope you do the vintage bike tour. You will have fun. Go for it. You can find something vintage to wear I am sure. (((Hugs))).

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy your DH is awesome with all his fixes and baking and all the things he does for you. :appl:

Love the new kitty as much as I also know the other side of it is...well, more kitties...

Your parents are just so adorable their faces are so kind.

Is that a UV protection umbrella you're carrying? I need to get one of those...

marcy how cute that your DH can watch anything but spiders. I wish I had something like that to use against my DH for fun ::)

Have a great Sunday everyone. :wavey:

This is such a nice thread 8) - you guys really check in on each other. It's a representation of so much of what PS is all about.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi CJ! Thanks for the lovely compliment re my parents. Yes it is a UV protection umbrella. I bought it probably a decade ago from Coolibar. It is weighty but worth it. I get too warm on sunny warm days walking around with an SPF hat (of which I have many lol) and this does the trick. Despite looking cuckoo which doesn't even give me pause (haha or paws lol) anymore. It protects and keeps me cooler than a hat. And as an added bonus doesn't smash my hair flattening the curls haha.

I think this is the one I have or very similar. It sure feels heavier than 2 lbs but I'm a weakling I guess. :knockout:

http://www.coolibar.com/product/62-Titanium-Golf-Umbrella/155591.uts

So glad you are joining us here. :wavey:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy - talk about cuckoo (thanks for using that word btw I never ever know how to spell it!)...I have bought face MASKS. Two of them. OK. So you've got nothing on me cuckoo wise. (I have not worn them but they are with me in the car and yeah eventually I'll work up the courage. Even if maybe just on the highway or something.)

And thank you for using this face :knockout: I didn't realize that was still there! Every time I wanted to convey that I would click on the "sick" face :sick: which is not what it used to be I hate the new one. (OK another sign I'm cuckoo I'm way too excited about this haha)

(and in case it needed saying you are lovely in the pictures).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol CJ, I have been using face masks for the better part of a decade too. Maybe longer. They are the bomb. Protects my face from windburn while cycling even in 75 degree weather. :lol:

I use a mask that attaches with Velcro so it is easy on and off. I don't think I have any photos or I would share them in case you like them better than what you are using. I have 7 of them. A few here and more of them at the beach for cycling. Greg sewed 2 of them together for extra warmth when I need it. We are perhaps well matched in the cuckoo department haha. That's ok, I feel we are in good company. :halo:

And thanks for your lovely compliment. (((Hugs))).

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Missy while I usually save PS for me--I did share those pictures of the cats and raccoons with my DH. As he had no history (from me) he stated it was wonderful for you folks to provide food for "all" who could access it! And added "you can't stop nature" (where there is a will there is a way)! Keep up your strength MIssy--it is a challenge to maintain what you are doing--but that is the point at least you are doing something (even if the results are not exactly what you want). Reminds me of my years in (medical) research and this is much like an experiment (variables, hypothesis etc). :read: :saint:

Good to see Greg's rigging really held well against those forces of nature (aka large raccoons)!!!

Hello to all the rest of the NIRDI's! We've had rain all weekend and now today it is snow. Very typical of our long weekend in May--heavy wet snow on our spring blooms! I hope it is wet up North where the moisture is needed for the wildfires, but alas not as much as we'd like as they are not abating. Again, nature!

cheers--Sharon

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey:
Just back home! Will try to get up to date and post a guide to Edinburgh tomorrow! Amazing city! Really loved it!

20160520_171256.jpg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi NIRDIs!

Jimmianne, I am the evil sister. I like to think about obnoxious things to say and do but I just think about them. We are both angels, no doubt. Too funny about old food - what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger right? That generation was tough so maybe that was part of their secret. The bags my sister bought are full of rocks. They have clay soil on them so they have to wash that off and then they go through the rocks looking for sapphires. One of the other mines they bought from have already washed off the rocks for you and she found more and larger pieces in them. The largest sapphire they found was over 4 carats - that is actually the one she is putting in the rose gold ring. A lot of them are around a carat or under so they are too small to cut. Quite a few of them are really included. She is really having fun with it. The bag they bought for me has about 15 sapphires in it but not one of them is big enough to have cut. My nephew is going to polish them and I’ll put them in my gem jar. The Arkansas diamond mine sounds pretty cool too. I am so glad you found a great asscher ring on Esty to take on your travels and then still have your beautiful ring to look forward to when you come home. That is fabulous the shot reversed your osteoporosis.

Missy, that is so scary that your dad is driving and maybe shouldn’t be especially driving your nieces around. That’s tough no matter what you say or do. My sister gave up planting her vegetable garden. The raccoons and deer won. I would imagine telescope observing with all the lights around you would be challenging. I know that card would have not gone over well with my sister but it was still worth a good laugh. I don’t know if popcorn would mess up your blood test tomorrow. I love the picture of your dad on the beach.

CJ2008, this is a great thread. Everyone is very supportive of each other. It’s very nice. Yes, Marty hates spiders. I hate miller moths so it works out.

Sharon, I hope the spring snow don’t kill of any of your spring blooms. The fires have kind of died away on our news so I was hopeful they have improved. I am sorry to hear they are still going strong. I did see where some people got to return to their homes. It is so awful.

Scandinavian, great photo. I look forward to hearing about your trip.

I am watching the I Love Lucy special they had on CBS Friday night. Too funny. They are all in Hollywood for Ricky to film a movie and Lucy, Ethel and Fred steal John Wayne’s foot print from in front of Grauman’s theater. Lucy’s antics can always make me laugh.

The activity level at our house is minimal today. Marty is working in his shop; I might actually be getting the drawers for the cupboard where we keep bowls. Sweet. I am working on laundry.

Have a great day.
Marcy

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a picture of 2 of the sapphires my sister found. One is 2.5 carats and 1 is 2 carats.

screen_shot_2016-05-22_at_2.png

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a collage I made on my iPad yesterday of my sister's jewelry. These are the 2 rings she bought, she is holding the ring with the green sapphire and I have the solitaire on my pinkie.

The jewelry store I took here to is a mom and pop jeweler that has been here for over 30 years. The girl that helped us was very friendly and patient with us. I am glad since my sister is so excited about this.

_37269.jpg

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
marcy|1463947513|4034870 said:
Here is a picture of 2 of the sapphires my sister found. One is 2.5 carats and 1 is 2 carats.

beautiful colors, Marcy

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne, my sister is pretty thrilled with her sapphires. I think that color of green really pops in rose gold. I have the repair ticket so I get to go pick the rings up when they are finished. I'll post pictures of her finished rings.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
marcy|1463957821|4034919 said:
Jimmianne, my sister is pretty thrilled with her sapphires. I think that color of green really pops in rose gold. I have the repair ticket so I get to go pick the rings up when they are finished. I'll post pictures of her finished rings.

Your task of picking up the rings seems like a perfect opportunity for being an evil sister...as in... "two rings? no way! there was only one, silly".
In any event it will be great to see how they look set in rose gold.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone!

Missy, be careful what you wish for, if I started unloading I probably wouldn't stop and you girls really would get fed up with me! Just knowing you are all here in case I do need to share a rough time is very comforting and I really am grateful for all the support in this thread.

Oh boy, the feeding station is hopping these days - hang in there my friend, take one day at a time and try not to worry. You really are doing the best you can. Those raccoons will eventually get too big to fit through the hole. I'm also hoping they'll get bored but they look like they enjoy being bad. Looks like Greg's fix is working!!! :dance:

Love the pic of your father on the beach. Really lovely and sweet.

Marcy, sorry the warranty doesn't cover your repairs but at least you know what the problem is and it can be taken care of. And oh my gosh, how perfect is that card for your sister! :D I can see where you'd be very tempted :devil: Too funny Marty made you put it back haha. I guess it was good he was the voice of reason on this one, your sister probably wouldn't have thought that card was as funny as we did!

Oh I love that episode of I Love Lucy! I love when Ricky yells at her to bring the cement back and you hear a crash, and Lucy walks in and says "You scared me!" I love that show.

Your sister's rings are going to be so pretty! The sapphires are such beautiful colors. I'm glad she's so excited about them.

Jimmianne, I am so sorry about the delay of your ring, I totally understand the disappointment you're feeling. I'm disappointed too, I've been dying to see it! Missy makes a good point though - you will have something wonderful to look forward to after your trip. And I have to say, I'm sorta glad you treated yourself to a little something to wear on your trip and distract you from your disappointment, well played and brilliant idea! :clap:

Scandinavian, lol to the restaurant sign! So glad you had a good time. What an amazing building!

Rainwood, yes, it sounds like you and I are similar in not posting as much when we are feeling a bit down. You're right, it's an emotional and stressful time for me and there are days when I'm just worn out. Thank you for your understanding and kindness. I feel as you do, I wish there was more I could say and do to help you handle the difficult days but I hope just knowing you have a safe place to come and share your feelings brings you some comfort. Hugs to you, I do hope you're feeling better soon.

Sharon, hi, good to hear you and sorry about the snow falling on your flowers! Hopefully it will melt as fast as it came and you will return to warm weather very soon. I am sorry to hear the wildfires are still continuing. :(sad

Have a good Monday everyone!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne, I will definitely try on her rings when I get them but she wears a larger size than me. Rats. The little sapphire ring is YG. I have to take them out and look at them to make sure they are okay before I sign for them, right?

The lady that waited on us had on an eternity band I absolutely loved. It's rose gold with white gold and little diamonds. It's on my wish list now.

Marcy

imageuploadedbytapatalkhd1463971768.jpg

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning!

So, first a brief travel guide to Edinburgh!
We did all the tourist things. Edinburgh castle was amazing and worth the trip in itself. I'll post pictures in a separate post, because they are on my phone.. The castle is very old, the oldest building still standing is from 1130, the rest of the old ones were burnt down / destroyed when the Scotts took the castle back from the English in 1314 and did not have enough men to guard it, so they destroyed it to keep it from falling into English hands again. Or was it 1341. The castle had a tendency to change hands for different reasons.. Many kings and queens, including Mary, queen of Scots. Until Oliver Cromwell captures the castle in 1650. Today, the castle houses the crown jewels of Scotland, the "crowning stone", and is still a "fortress" in a sense, as it is used by the army as administrative HQ and living quarters.

The Scottish humor is kind of fun. Every day at 1, the canon fires from the caste to tell the time. This started to tell the captains on the river boats the correct time, but the tradition is still going strong. The story is that the Scottish chose 1 instead of noon, to save 11 doses of gun powder, lol. Probably true.

St Giles Cathedral (High Kirk of Edinburgh) is also a true work of art. The stained glasses are so beautiful and detailed, telling a story in each of them. Thanks to an informative little poster, we were able to aim for a short church concert. Very nice to really hear the wonderful acoustics in the building in stead of just reading about it! We did a guided tour that took us all the way up a spiral staircase to the roof top - a lot of fun!

Also included in the Cathedral is The Thistle Chapel. This is the chapel of "The Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle", Scotland's foremost Order of Chivalry. It has carved and painted wood details, including an angel playing a bagpipe. The Order, which consists of the Queen and 16 knights. The Queen appoints the knights personally, normally Scots who have made a significant contribution to Scotland. There was actually a Scandinavian knight before, the previous king of Norway, for services during the war.

The church is incredibly beautiful, just as nice as any of the ones in other European cities that I have seen.

About 1600 (?), city developers decided that it was a bit impractical that Edinburgh had a lot of steep streets going down towards the river. So they decided to cut down the old stone houses at the level of the high street, and use these houses as the foundation for new houses. So all the people on this side of the high street was evicted, and new houses built. The further away from the high street, the more floors of the old houses in the foundation. Do you understand what I mean? Anyway, the old houses are still there, so now it is a tourist attraction to go under the current ground / city and look at the old city as it was in approximately 1650. That was very interesting and a bit depressing. These people were not very well off. Your ferals are much better cared for Missy. The lower house people would have thought your feeding devices were from heaven. Not trying to be funny at all, unfortunately. The best part of live was probably that the toilet bucked was emptied into the street every day at to specific times. So if you were living in one of the lower houses (8 floors high, normally), you had better not be the youngest one in your household.... Also, plages were rather common.

The city major did however have an extremely nice house, kind of like one of the Scandinavian castles. It is now a restaurant, "The Rhubarb". We went there for dinner, a very nice evening :) The house is almost like it was back in the days, including rather large and very pink "powder room". Now with all the luxuries of our modern days, off course ;)) Tapestry, wooden floors, purples and pinks, velvet, chandeliers, oh-so-nice. And off course live "wild" peacocks in the garden (i.e. park).

The palace was unfortunately closed, as the Queen is supposed to come and visit in a few days.

And we went to the whisky museum, off course. The world's largest collection of whisky. The tour was good fun, even learned a few new things about the different "notes" and flavours. You can even find whiskeys with banana flavour, apparently. Just look for a whisky from Spayside for a fruity version ;)) Or the lowlands for citrus, Islay for smoke and peat, or the Highlands for fruit, oak, heather and smoke. Or not. LOL

I truly love Edinburgh even if we got a taste of the traditional weather. Only "big city" I have ever visited that I would survive living in, I think. Can't wait to go back to Scotland another year to explore the Highlands :bigsmile:

I bought a lot of cashmere scarfs and ponchos too, btw, lol.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results