color
clarity

Now I really did it :((

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1412078065|3759109 said:
arkieb1|1412077808|3759107 said:
Hi Missy :wavey: checking in to see how you are.... glad you are getting there slowly and you sound like you are in good spirits!!! Big hug to you and a big hug to your husband as well you are so lucky to have such a wonderful guy!!!!! My father has a metal plate and a number of pins in one leg (bad spiral fracture many years ago now) and he sets off the alarm systems/metal detectors at the airport where-ever he goes. We usually joke about it after the event (but try not to crack up laughing in front of the big serious looking security guards at the airports, they generally don't find anything very funny....)

Hi arkieb! Thank you for your good thoughts and wishes. I appreciate that so much. How is your dad doing now? It sounds like he is having fun with his metal plate and pins at the airports lol. Can he walk normally again and is he active? I know everyone has a different experience because everyone's injury is unique to them but of course it helps to hear how others with somewhat similar injuries and surgeries are recovering. Thanks for sharing his story with me and for the hugs and sending big hugs to you too!

Hi Missy, my father walks with a limp because his leg was not set correctly and he had a bad surgeon who fled the country (he went from Australia to England I believe) because he had so many malpractice claims against him. On the flip side when my father had the car accident he had one of the best surgeons in the country fix his shoulder which was crushed (they had to cut him out of the car so it was pretty horrific, he was the passenger in a car overtaking a truck car pooling to work and it slammed into an oncoming car doing over 100kms per hour and his side took the full force of impact). His arm and shoulder is pretty good now but he is thinking about having his ankle bone fused because he has a lot of trouble with it. They have no idea if this will help his quality of life or not. He is in his early 70s.

Both accidents were bad but the difference IMHO was a great surgeon. My family lives in rural (and a fairly remote part of Australia) the first time he didn't pick the surgeon, the second time he did.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1412078402|3759115 said:
missy|1412078065|3759109 said:
arkieb1|1412077808|3759107 said:
Hi Missy :wavey: checking in to see how you are.... glad you are getting there slowly and you sound like you are in good spirits!!! Big hug to you and a big hug to your husband as well you are so lucky to have such a wonderful guy!!!!! My father has a metal plate and a number of pins in one leg (bad spiral fracture many years ago now) and he sets off the alarm systems/metal detectors at the airport where-ever he goes. We usually joke about it after the event (but try not to crack up laughing in front of the big serious looking security guards at the airports, they generally don't find anything very funny....)

Hi arkieb! Thank you for your good thoughts and wishes. I appreciate that so much. How is your dad doing now? It sounds like he is having fun with his metal plate and pins at the airports lol. Can he walk normally again and is he active? I know everyone has a different experience because everyone's injury is unique to them but of course it helps to hear how others with somewhat similar injuries and surgeries are recovering. Thanks for sharing his story with me and for the hugs and sending big hugs to you too!

Hi Missy, my father walks with a limp because his leg was not set correctly and he had a bad surgeon who fled the country (he went from Australia to England I believe) because he had so many malpractice claims against him. On the flip side when my father had the car accident he had one of the best surgeons in the country fix his shoulder which was crushed (they had to cut him out of the car so it was pretty horrific, he was the passenger in a car overtaking a truck car pooling to work and it slammed into an oncoming car doing over 100kms per hour and his side took the full force of impact). His arm and shoulder is pretty good now but he is thinking about having his ankle bone fused because he has a lot of trouble with it. They have no idea if this will help his quality of life or not. He is in his early 70s.

I am so sorry arkieb but thank goodness he survived that horrific accident!!! Where is your dad located? If he is considering the ankle fusion surgery he should look into Hospital for Special Surgery and if you would like I can ask my surgeon when I see him this Thursday who is the best surgeon there for this operation.

Sending good thought and healing vibes to your dad and hoping for a good outcome if he decides to go through with this surgery. Please let me know if you want me to ask my surgeon for his best recommendation.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe he was going to get it done via one of the best surgeons in Sydney. He had planned to have it done early this year but my mother became critically ill towards the end of last year and he has been caring for her. They also have my 92 year old grandmother living with them. I live a long way away, but they have a number of good friends that keep an eye on them as well.

I've badgered them to come and live closer but my stubborn 92 year old grandmother refuses to move.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arkieb, I forgot you are in Australia and it sounds like your dad is in good hands when/if he decides to go through with this operation. I am so sorry your dear mother is ill and I am keeping her (and your dad) in my thoughts and prayers.

I hear you on the elderly being stubborn. My parents refuse to move as well though they would be so much better off if they lived nearer my sister and her children for whom they care for during the workweek. All the traveling back and forth is difficult for my 80 year old dad and my mom.

arkieb1 said:
I believe he was going to get it done via one of the best surgeons in Sydney. He had planned to have it done early this year but my mother became critically ill towards the end of last year and he has been caring for her. They also have my 92 year old grandmother living with them. I live a long way away, but they have a number of good friends that keep an eye on them as well.

I've badgered them to come and live closer but my stubborn 92 year old grandmother refuses to move.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for your kind thoughts!!! I hope you don't mind me talking about my family. Even though your progress is slow it sounds like you are getting the best medical care and despite it seeming like baby steps some days you are slowly healing. I saw what a slow and painful process it was with my father. You are in my thoughts as well.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you arkieb! And I do not mind in the least about you sharing what you and your family are going through. In fact I so appreciate it because in real life I do not know anyone who has gone through anything similar to what I am dealing with and yes my progress is painstakingly slow and painful at times (much of the time lately) as well. It gives me emotional strength to see how others have dealt with similar experiences and come through the other side just fine. So thank you for sharing about your dad and your family. I mean that from the bottom of my heart and wish you and your family all the best.

arkieb1 said:
Thank you so much for your kind thoughts!!! I hope you don't mind me talking about my family. Even though your progress is slow it sounds like you are getting the best medical care and despite it seeming like baby steps some days you are slowly healing. I saw what a slow and painful process it was with my father. You are in my thoughts as well.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wished you lived closer I would send you books (not e books I am old fashioned and like real ones....) and wickedly indulgent things to eat :D both always cheered my father up.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, I've be keeping my fingers crossed that it's all good news with your surgeon appointment on Thursday. I had no idea that you could not have an MRI with the metal. I'm sure just talking to the surgeon on Thursday will help put your mind at ease that your healing as expected.

Have your parents been able to help watch your nieces with all your mom has been going through with her leg?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1412080506|3759134 said:
I wished you lived closer I would send you books (not e books I am old fashioned and like real ones....) and wickedly indulgent things to eat :D both always cheered my father up.

Aww, thanks arkieb. I have to get back to reading. I was good the first month or so reading lots of books but lately haven't been in the mood. It would be good to get my mind involved in a good novel (in between my PT exercises). I am intrigued as to what wickedly indulgent foods you shared with your father. :appl:

Calliecake said:
Hi Missy, I've be keeping my fingers crossed that it's all good news with your surgeon appointment on Thursday. I had no idea that you could not have an MRI with the metal. I'm sure just talking to the surgeon on Thursday will help put your mind at ease that your healing as expected.

Have your parents been able to help watch your nieces with all your mom has been going through with her leg?

Thanks Callie. As Thursday approaches I am getting those butterflies in my stomach because I am nervous. The site of the biggest of my incisions is red and swollen and of course I am worried it is getting infected. It's probably just swollen because that is where the biggest plate is but it is just another thing on my list of concerns as if I didn't have enough. :roll:

My parents are watching my nieces. My mom goes down her stairs on her behind to get out of the house and in the car and back up when she returns. It is quite the undertaking as they have a lot of stairs but thank goodness she can do it as it makes her happy to watch the girls.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, I hope your therapy goes well today without too much swelling or discomfort. I understand how you feel regarding the appointments with the surgeon but you really have been making progress. Are you worried becuase it doesn't look fully healed at the operation site? Did the surgeon give you any indication how long it would take for that area to be healed? I just can't imagine it being easy to suddenly get an infection this long after surgery. Was this someshing the surgeon warned about? If not, I would try not to worry too much. I know, very easy for me to say. Feel free to tell me to shut up now. I worry about everything so I really do know what you are putting yourself through. It is so NOT fun :confused: For what it's worth my sister does not stress out easily. She had quite a few freak out moments (all which turned out to be nothing) when she was going thru this.

How nice that it's worked out that your parents have still been able to watch your nieces. I'm sure it makes them happy and is worth the Inconveinence to be able to spend time with them. Have you been able to see them lately?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1412175799|3759843 said:
Hi Missy, I hope your therapy goes well today without too much swelling or discomfort. I understand how you feel regarding the appointments with the surgeon but you really have been making progress. Are you worried becuase it doesn't look fully healed at the operation site? Did the surgeon give you any indication how long it would take for that area to be healed? I just can't imagine it being easy to suddenly get an infection this long after surgery. Was this someshing the surgeon warned about? If not, I would try not to worry too much. I know, very easy for me to say. Feel free to tell me to shut up now. I worry about everything so I really do know what you are putting yourself through. It is so NOT fun :confused: For what it's worth my sister does not stress out easily. She had quite a few freak out moments (all which turned out to be nothing) when she was going thru this.

How nice that it's worked out that your parents have still been able to watch your nieces. I'm sure it makes them happy and is worth the Inconveinence to be able to spend time with them. Have you been able to see them lately?

Hi Callie! PT went pretty well today and I am trying not to get my hopes up about tomorrow because I don't want to set myself up for disappointment but I am so hoping the surgeon discharges me tomorrow from having to wear the boot at home.

I warmed up before my 7:40 AM appointment today and then some more before Victor arrived since we had a few minutes before he got there. I walked with just my Dansko pro XP clogs and no boot all morning and at therapy and then showed Victor and I could tell he was pleased. I do have a limp but small and I had to use the walker for balance but really not putting any weight on the walker so that was good. I was very happy and really want everything to go smoothly tomorrow and for the surgeon to tell me I am healing well and can now go without the boot when I am home. Fingers crossed!

I am glad your sister is doing so well and yeah I can totally understand anyone freaking out with a major injury and surgery like this. It is very traumatic all around. Physically, emotionally and it tests what you are made of and now it turns out that is part metal haha.

Does your sister have plates/screws/rods in her leg? I don't remember if you told me but in any case so happy to hear everything turned out just fine for her. I am still feeling the plates and it does hurt. It is hard to describe how it feels except to say it feels like metal twisting in your leg. And I am still pretty swollen where the biggest plate is so I am thinking that may not go down too much because I do remember the first surgeon (the surgeon in NJ who we didn't end up going with) saying my ankles are very skinny and that some of the hardware might show through. :knockout:

One day (not in a rush for another surgery!) I would love to get as much of the hardware removed but I remember my surgeon saying unless my body rejects it or it gets infected he doesn't want to remove it and it would not be possible to remove it all in any case since there is so much in my leg. It would be too difficult and invasive. My girlfriend's sister just had a screw removed from her leg that she broke last winter but she only had one screw I think. It was bothering her and they removed it outpatient last week and she is already back at work today.

I haven't seen my parents since my mom injured her knee cap. By Thanksgiving for sure because that is the holiday Greg and I host for our family so hoping that works out and I get to see everyone.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, I know my sister definately has plates and screws, not certain if they also placed a rod in her leg. Your mentioning the surgeon made a comment saying you had skinny ankles reminded me of a conversation she and I had right after the surgery. She and I also have very skinny ankles. She was showing me places on my leg where it could show if it had happened to my leg. They don't show on her leg. She made a comment last winter that once in a while she can feel a screw and was told they could remove it if it started to bother her more. She hasn't had a problem with excessive swelling and said it didn't bother her often enough to consider having another surgery. She has no problem wearing shoes, with the exception of high heels. I also think she's afraid if they do more, swelling may become an issue. She walks perfectly fine and has no limp what so ever. She does have days where at the end of the day her ankle may swell a little. It happens when she has been on her feet a lot during the day but the swelling is not excessive.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Callie. It makes sense the more invasive you are (i.e. the more surgeries you have on the same area) the more likely you might have permanent swelling. Right now my left ankle is about twice the size of my ankle on my unaffected leg so I am hoping it will go down some more and that it won't stay this swollen. It does concern me but there is nothing I can do so I just am doing my exercises and hoping for the best.

It is great your sister can walk easily and without a limp. That would make me very happy and add being able to walk and cycle long distances and do my elliptical and I would be so thankful. Thank you again for sharing your sister's story with me.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't let the swelling get you down. Her swelling was really bad at the stage of recovery you are at. Her ankle looked more than twice the size of her healthy one. I remember her saying she would never be able to wear a dress again. She even said afterward that all the worrying was for nothing. Her leg looks great. She wears dresses all the time! I don't remember if I told you in another post that her accident happened while riding a bike and she is back to biking!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Callie! That is very reassuring and while I know every person's recovery is unique that does give me hope. :!:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It may be terribly naive of me but I'll always felt you will be fine once you are healed. My sister wasn't in the best shape when she had her accident. The two of you were about the same age and she is no where near as determined as you are. This is why I've always thought the next few months will be a pain in the butt but you will get through it and on with your life. She is back to doing everything she did before the accident. She's made the comment many times that a little swelling and a little discomfort once in a while is just fine as far as she's concerned. She had the same fears about having a limp, never getting on a bike again that you have had.

It's so hard when you are reading replys on the Internet to misinterpret someone's response. I hope you know that I have always been in your corner through out this whole ordeal and have always understood your concerns. :wavey:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dear Callie, I know that you are here for me and rooting for me the whole way. It comes through in every one of your posts and it means so much to me. One day I hope we can meet in person and perhaps I can truly express how much all your support means to me. (((Hugs))).

And you're right. These last few months have been a huge PAIN in the butt LOL but honestly if tomorrow goes well and shows I am on my way to recovery :pray: I have absolutely nothing to complain about. I am very fortunate that I am getting such good care-from the medical professionals, my physical therapist, my dh and friends. And all the support and comfort and knowledge from the PS community. I doubt I can ever put into words how much gratitude I feel and how humbling this all is but from the bottom of my heart a big thank you to everyone who has helped and is continuing to help me through this. Holding my hand through it all.

a-hug-emoticon-for-you-my-friend.jpg

emoticon-analysis-big-hug.jpg

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck tomorrow!!!! Take a list of your questions in and give a copy to the surgeon so he knows what you need information about. Write down the responses.

Nice and easy, stay steady!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1412199759|3760145 said:
Good luck tomorrow!!!! Take a list of your questions in and give a copy to the surgeon so he knows what you need information about. Write down the responses.

Nice and easy, stay steady!!!

OMG, I totally forgot to make a list of questions. Ugh. Now of course I cannot think of any lol. Thank you so much for the reminder azstonie. I swear sometimes I don't know where my head is I have been so absent minded lately.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, I Hope your appointment went well with the surgeon today. Sending you lots of dust. :wavey:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1412272589|3760693 said:
Hi Missy, I Hope your appointment went well with the surgeon today. Sending you lots of dust. :wavey:

Hi Callie, thank you. I had my follow up appointment this morning and here's the good, the bad and the ugly.

The GOOD:
Surgeon told me to "get back to living my life" now. The X-rays look good and I should start walking unassisted and without the boot. So basically go from walking with the boot and walker to nothing. Now I know that sounds like amazing news except I feel like he is taking me from just touching the water in the kiddie pool and throwing me in the deep end. With an ankle and leg that is still not able to do that. I asked him about how stiff my ankle is and how it still doesn't have much of a ROM and he moved it and said yeah it's too stiff and just get it moving because my ROM is not good.

The BAD:
So I am taking his advice to heart and tried to walk without the walker (and without the boot) and my limp is huge because I have so little ROM. My ankle is killing me and feels so weak. I asked him if I could start my elliptical and he said everything but basketball, pivoting, twisting and running. Those are forbidden but everything else I can do according to the surgeon.

So after I tried walking unassisted I went on my elliptical. And I felt so horribly disappointed because I was so looking forward to getting back to that and I just couldn't really do it. I never realized how difficult it is to keep one's foot flat on the elliptical pedals and I could only do a few minutes on my tiptoes. Very disappointing and I know I need to give it time but hearing what the surgeon said I feel like I should be able to do it now.

I really need to improve my ankle ROM because not to be able to walk without a huge limp and not to be able to do the elliptical when my surgeon said I should be able to do all of this is upsetting. I will see what Victor says tomorrow and I know I should be happy that I got good news (and I am) but I also feel I am not where I should be progress wise and I am trying my hardest and there is nothing else I can do but plug on and hope my ankle eventually starts moving more allowing me to do more things.

I asked him about supportive shoes and he said just get back to my regular shoes. No supportive shoes. In fact, walk barefoot. :shock: Ummm I cannot and I tried since he told me to. I did take my first standing up shower this afternoon (in my shower woohoo) with flip flops on my feet but I was sort of holding on to the bar on the inside shower door because I felt unstable. And my foot and leg was purple because the blood is still not properly getting pumped up. But at least I took a real standing up shower and in my shower. Greg can have his bathroom back!!!

The UGLY:
My ankle and foot are still so ugly looking and swollen and the toe nail on that big toe has not grown since the accident. I asked the PA about that and he said the blood supply was compromised and it should get back to normal once I start moving more. At least he said something like that.

The surgeon said the ankle and foot look almost normal :???: but they are not as wearing my shoes prove because they are uber tight on that foot at least the flip flops I tried on when I got home and they are my widest biggest shoes so I can only imagine how my real shoes are going to fit! Just like a man not to see the huge difference in ankle thickness of the affected foot/leg vs the good one.

I do know it can take a very long time to get back to almost normal (it won't ever be the same compared to my unaffected leg as per the surgeon) but I cannot believe the surgeon thinks it looks good. It doesn't and it isn't and I hope it will go down some more that's all. I didn't get any answers from him on that as he just said he thinks the ankle looks good. Take my word for it-it looks UGLY.

OK so those are my results. Good that I am healing (YAY!!!) and I am thrilled about that. Bad that I cannot do everything (anything?) the surgeon thinks I should be able to do at this point. So I am disappointed in myself because I am usually an overachiever and in this case I am an underachiever despite what I thought were my best efforts. I was doing everything my therapist told me to do and everything the surgeon had previously told me to do. Yet here I am-unable to walk unassisted and unable to walk without a huge limp and unable to move my ankle very much at all so that I cannot even do the simple elliptical movement.

My main concern just to make it clear is not so much that I cannot do these activities now (walking without a limp and unassisted and elliptical to name 2) but more so will I ever be able to do these activities? Will I be able to improve my ankle ROM to the point that I will be able to move normally? That is my biggest fear regarding my recovery as of now.

Next follow up in 3 months.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, I'm very happy about the GOOD new! Now about the rest of it.... I would not get too upset until I went over everything he said with Victor. Has Victor made any mention that you should be further along in your progress? Did the surgeon act as though you were being more cautious than you need to be. I'm a little shell shocked right now so if I say something that doesn't sound right just pounce on me. He sounds like he is taking you out of the kiddy pool and throwing you into the deep end of the pool, and with no flipping life guard! It sounds like going forward he wants you to take a just do it attitude. This has to mean that your ankle has pretty much healed. Is that how you are seeing it as well? I just don't understand how you are supposed to do this if your ankle feels so unsteady. I'd understand it if you were in shoes that had support but barefoot???? Victor sees this type of injury often. I'd ask him if he agrees with the surgeon, if he does I guess all you can do is trust them.... He will know what to do to get your ROM back. I think once you get that back everything else will fall into place. What do you think? And have pain meds ready for after your therapy. From what you are saying today you are going to need them. Don't try to tough it out if you are in pain. Take the pills and come hear to b&$$&!

I wish I lived closer to you. I could at least be there when you did this stuff on your own if Greg is at work. It just seems scary for him to tell you to just do everything so quickly. What if you were to fall?????

The swelling will go down and your leg will get better looking. I'd try not to stress about that.

I'm sorry this post has been all over the place but I'm still sitting here with my mouth wide open in disbelief. I can't wait to hear what the other girls who been through this have to say. Maybe what he's saying is normal. I have no idea. Sorry Missy I've been absolutely no help to you!

What was Greg's take away from all the surgeon said? Is he baffled as well?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Callie, your post made me smile thank you.

Greg is very matter of fact about it and says that the surgeon is just projecting where I need to be and I will get there in my time. I can say I took it to heart and really walked around the home today without anything-no walker no cane but I did wear my Dansko Pro XPs. Not going barefoot just yet! My ankle is killing me and I am now icing it. I also vacuumed lol because I couldn't stand the cat hair anymore but halfway through the vacuum needed charging so that helped because my ankle was really hurting so when the vacuum died I stopped and I am now icing.

I am walking with a huge limp when I am not using the walker but hoping that as I work on the ROM I will make progress there. Victor told me in the past that progress regarding the ankle ROM is typically very slow but I felt that the surgeon thought I should be further along. The surgeon didn't go as far as to say I am behind though I did ask him and I cannot remember if he even answered me. It was what felt like a rushed visit today. He came in with the PA whom I know and another gentleman whom I don't know (maybe a resident) and he didn't introduce him (which I thought was sort of rude) and just said how do I feel and my X-rays look great. And then what I should be doing etc and then he moved my ankle when I told him I still couldn't bend it much and that's the story.

Anyway, Greg said it was all positive news (Men... HA) and that's how I should be looking at it. He said if I am still unable to move my ankle at this time next year then we can be upset. Great. I hope I am not in that predicament next year. I guess I need to just continue doing the best I can and hope that I continue progressing. It really hurts like heck to walk. My ankle just feels so weak and then as it swells it is able to move even less.

Thanks again Callie and hopefully as you said azstonie or Rainwood or Dee or Mary will chime in...It would be helpful to know how long it took them to regain their ankle ROM. I know I may never regain full ankle ROM but hoping I can still regain much of it.

I forgot to attach the newest X-rays before so here they are for your viewing pleasure. :cheeky:

_291.jpeg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, :wavey:

How are you doing today? I like the good news you heard from your surgeon. :appl: I am sure it will take a while to get used to walking without support and I imagine your ROM will improve just from being able to walk on your foot and ankle. You have reached another BIG milestone. I am glad to hear the surgeon thinks you are healing and that things look good to him. I am sure Victor will have many helpful ideas and suggestions for you. He seems to be really nice and on top of things. I have absolutely no idea how to read X-rays but it all looks straight to me. Definitely keep those pain meds at hand and take them before you get too sore. All the walking and therapy is going to get your attention. But from my far away viewpoint you are continuing to make amazing progress.

I am glad you mom can get in and out of the house but that does sound like a lot of work for her. How are she and your dad holding up through her recovery?

Your outing in the rain a few days ago to get to PT did sounds kind of fun.

I am glad Greg is feeling better from his cold. Quite a few people at work are sure down with a cold.

I am enjoying my new phone. The case I bought is really slick so I ordered another one and I am being careful with the one I have. I got out my little black jewelry bag that came with my ering from Whiteflash and I am using it as a little pocket to keep my phone in on the inside of my purse.

Marty cooked supper today so I was done with dishes before 6:30. Now that’s a treat! Marty had major hardware put in his mouth for braces today and of course I’d picked tacos for supper. Oops. He smashed up his shells pretty small. I bet he’ll be hurting tomorrow.

Marty leaves Monday for 3 weeks then plans on being home a week before going back for a few more weeks. I am not looking forward to any of this. He wants me to drop him off at the airport on Monday morning so he doesn’t have to leave his truck at the airport for 3 weeks. I guess I can go in late to work or just take the day off. I am getting low on sick or vacation days so I hate to do that. The awful part is going back to pick him up in 3 weeks. I get all nervous driving to Denver and in traffic. I am traffic around here is nothing like what you have there.

Have a great day tomorrow!
Marcy

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Missy! Impressive x rays! It's so cool that all the bones are healed and you're allowed to start using your leg again. It will take time to build up your muscles' strength and flexibility. It will seem damn slow, but it will come. :))

_22931.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marcy|1412302511|3761023 said:
Hi Missy, :wavey:

How are you doing today? I like the good news you heard from your surgeon. :appl: I am sure it will take a while to get used to walking without support and I imagine your ROM will improve just from being able to walk on your foot and ankle. You have reached another BIG milestone. I am glad to hear the surgeon thinks you are healing and that things look good to him. I am sure Victor will have many helpful ideas and suggestions for you. He seems to be really nice and on top of things. I have absolutely no idea how to read X-rays but it all looks straight to me. Definitely keep those pain meds at hand and take them before you get too sore. All the walking and therapy is going to get your attention. But from my far away viewpoint you are continuing to make amazing progress.

I am glad you mom can get in and out of the house but that does sound like a lot of work for her. How are she and your dad holding up through her recovery?

Your outing in the rain a few days ago to get to PT did sounds kind of fun.

I am glad Greg is feeling better from his cold. Quite a few people at work are sure down with a cold.

I am enjoying my new phone. The case I bought is really slick so I ordered another one and I am being careful with the one I have. I got out my little black jewelry bag that came with my ering from Whiteflash and I am using it as a little pocket to keep my phone in on the inside of my purse.

Marty cooked supper today so I was done with dishes before 6:30. Now that’s a treat! Marty had major hardware put in his mouth for braces today and of course I’d picked tacos for supper. Oops. He smashed up his shells pretty small. I bet he’ll be hurting tomorrow.

Marty leaves Monday for 3 weeks then plans on being home a week before going back for a few more weeks. I am not looking forward to any of this. He wants me to drop him off at the airport on Monday morning so he doesn’t have to leave his truck at the airport for 3 weeks. I guess I can go in late to work or just take the day off. I am getting low on sick or vacation days so I hate to do that. The awful part is going back to pick him up in 3 weeks. I get all nervous driving to Denver and in traffic. I am traffic around here is nothing like what you have there.

Have a great day tomorrow!
Marcy

Hi Marcy, how clever of you to use your jewelry bag to keep your phone safe (and findable) in your pocketbook. Love that idea. And I am glad you are enjoying your phone and sleek new cases. My phone is less than a year old but I am ready for a new one and it should be breaking down about this time anyway lol. My aunt is trying to convince me to get an iPhone because my phone reception on the mobile isn't great but I only love apple computers and not crazy about getting another apple device. Since so many swear by their phones though perhaps I should reconsider...

I am sorry Marty has to travel again and for 3 weeks. :blackeye: I wish we lived closer to each other because I would keep you company and we could be partners in crime together. These days I can actually get out more so it would be doable...trip to NYC perhaps? :bigsmile:

YAY for Marty cooking a yummy dinner and I hope he adjusts well to his mouth full of hardware. That's tough as an adult but I am sure after he gets over the learning curve it won't be too bad. My bottom teeth are a bit crooked because in the 70's they didn't usually put braces on the bottom teeth for whatever reason and I didn't need them on the top so I just had a bite plate for a few years which I removed for eating so pretty easy. But sometimes I toy with the idea of straightening my bottom teeth but then I realize I have bigger fish to fry and that will never be a priority for me. Too bad I have such a big smile where you can see my bottom teeth but I would rather have things to smile about and show them then be sad and keep them hidden. See. :bigsmile:

My mom and dad are strong (mentally not physically unfortunately) and they are troopers and doing as well as can be expected. I am not going to be able to see them for the holidays this weekend sadly but that's OK. I will see them soon enough. I just wish we all lived closer as it is not easy to visit anyone in my family right now. I would love if we all lived within a few blocks of each other especially because then I could visit my nieces all the time. But there I go again wishing for what isn't and what will never be. Must stop that. :wink2:

Yes I am relieved and grateful the bones are healing and just a bit discouraged about my ankle ROM or lack of. I think Victor will say that I have to be patient but as I wrote I feel the surgeon thinks I should be further along and hence the concern on my part BUT I will keep plugging away and doing all I can because I am very motivated.

Thank you for your encouragement as always Marcy!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JaneSmith|1412310215|3761109 said:
Hi Missy! Impressive x rays! It's so cool that all the bones are healed and you're allowed to start using your leg again. It will take time to build up your muscles' strength and flexibility. It will seem damn slow, but it will come. :))

Thank you Jane. I feel like a baby learning how to walk all over again with the literal baby steps I am taking. I hope you are right and I will get my abilities back again. It can be discouraging at times but I know I must be strong mentally and then I can get through the physical challenge (I hope!).

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, congratulations on your successful postoperative period and appointment. WELL DONE! Many patients are irresponsible in the postoperative period and further injure themselves and/or ruin the work done by the surgeon. You did not and that is huge, kudos to you and Greg :appl:

Your surgeon is qualified to evaluate the postoperative status of his work and the healing taken place thus far.

He does not have expertise in rehab of patients. His concern is surgical. Surgeons concern themselves with rehab via what not to do (risk the surgical repairs). He has no idea how to get you up and as close to your pre-accident function as can be done.

Who does?

A physiatrist. This is what they do.

Get going with a physiatrist.

You wouldn't have the manicurist cut your hair, right? Expecting your surgeon to know anything specific about your rehab status is similar.

Considerations for you to discuss with your physiatrist: bone stimulator, laser, e-stim, and ultrasound.
esti

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy! :wavey:

How are you doing today? Are you feeling like a “free” woman walking around? I am sure Victor will help you get your ROM back. I know you are very motivated and will continue with your exercises and PT. I am still very excited for you. Are you able to sleep okay now?

It sounds like you do need a new phone. I usually keep mine until I can get an upgrade. So you don’t like Apple products? I wasn’t sure on that. We are all Mac around here – which is surprising since Marty was in IT for a while and never wanted a Mac. He bought me one because he was sick of fixing my Windows issues. Then he liked my laptop so much he got one and eventually replaced our desktop with Mac. Both of us have iPads too.

I wish I did live close to you; we could call the diamond district and have them bring over diamonds and sapphires for us to look at. I am sure no one would mind doing that for us. I plan to try and keep myself busy while Marty is gone but it’s a challenge sometimes. I have a Snoopy puzzle to put together. I like to knit and read. Of course there are nice people like you to visit with on PS.

My bottom teeth are crooked but I never minded them. Marty was pretty self conscious about his teeth so he decided to get braces. He will have to wear a permanent brace on the bottom when they are done. He’s been working on them 2 years and they figured he’d be done by now so this time they put in some serious hardware. It seems like trail and error – move them this way then no the other way. They do look a lot straighter.

I am glad your parents are mentally tough; that always helps getting through the trying times. Hopefully you’ll get to see them, your sister and nieces SOON. They’ll be so excited to see you walking too.

Have a great weekend! Is it still nice weather there? We had snow on the ground this morning but it melted right away.

Marcy

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1412374948|3761678 said:
Missy, congratulations on your successful postoperative period and appointment. WELL DONE! Many patients are irresponsible in the postoperative period and further injure themselves and/or ruin the work done by the surgeon. You did not and that is huge, kudos to you and Greg :appl:

Your surgeon is qualified to evaluate the postoperative status of his work and the healing taken place thus far.

He does not have expertise in rehab of patients. His concern is surgical. Surgeons concern themselves with rehab via what not to do (risk the surgical repairs). He has no idea how to get you up and as close to your pre-accident function as can be done.

Who does?

A physiatrist. This is what they do.

Get going with a physiatrist.

You wouldn't have the manicurist cut your hair, right? Expecting your surgeon to know anything specific about your rehab status is similar.

Considerations for you to discuss with your physiatrist: bone stimulator, laser, e-stim, and ultrasound.
esti

Thank you very much azstonie. I looked into finding a physiatrist weeks ago based on your recommendation and there was no one near me. I think my best bet would be either Rusk Institute at NYU (based on a friend's recommendation) or of course HSS. I was hoping that Victor would be able to get me in fighting shape so to speak without the added time and expense of traveling to HSS or NYU every week. I am not sure how it works. That is, can I go just once and get a treatment plan from the physiatrist and then have Victor do the therapy based on the physiatrist's treatment plan? Another wrinkle is that Victor's place does not have ultrasound or e-stim etc. I asked him last session because Dr Wellman wrote something on my PT prescription having to do with ultrasound or e-stim one of those other treatments you suggested. I cannot remember but I have a copy of that Rx.

If I make an appointment and go to the physiatrist then would I have to find another Physical therapist because Victor doesn't offer those treatments? I am sorry for so many questions it would just be incredibly difficult time wise (not to mention expense wise) to go someplace where I need to take a cab back and forth 3 times a week for therapy and the place I am now going is HSS approved. There is no other PT place near me that is HSS approved. Plus and maybe even more importantly I click with Victor and feel comfortable with him and feel he knows what he is doing despite only having experience with one other person with a Pilon fracture. He has helped people with broken legs albeit not many with my specific injury. He seems confident he can get me back to almost pre accident condition. But of course I don't know if he can but not sure anyone else can help me more.

I guess I am hoping/thinking that Victor can and will get me up to speed with the therapies he is currently having me doing but I understand and appreciate your recommendation for a physiatrist. I am going to call HSS and make an appointment with one if it can be a one time or two time visit just to see if the treatment recommendation is radically different than what I am currently doing with Victor.

Another (and last for this post at least haha) question- do you remember how long it took you to regain much of your ankle ROM? Obviously this is my biggest obstacle to walking right now. If it is just a long process OK then no worries but in your opinion having been through something similar is it a long process or should I be further along? I cannot walk without a limp right now and that is when I am at my best. At the end of the day or when I have been sitting for a while or sleeping and I just get up I can barely put any weight on that leg at all. In your experience is it a long recovery process for ankle ROM (i.e. months) or more like weeks? I have been weight bearing for almost 3 weeks now (albeit partial but really started full weight bearing last week) and doing all the prescribed therapies (and more) and I feel my ankle is no more flexible. I know it is not an exact science but I am just asking for your opinion and thoughts since you have been through this.

Thank you so much azstonie.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results