carat
color
clarity

Now I really did it :((

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake said:
Hi Missy, How exciting you were actually able to go for a wok yesterday. I'm sure it wasn't the most comfortable walk you have had but your getting there! Are there places you can walk to in your neighborhood? I'm sure you and Greg had a great day.

Good morning Callie and happy first day of autumn! How was your weekend? Did you and your dh do something fun? It was a lovely weather weekend both days where we live and we got to go out both days for a couple of hours.

I enjoyed my short walk both Saturday and Sunday. In fact on Sunday as we were walking a young woman passed us and smiled and said she sees I am making progress. LOL I don't even know her but I can guess she must have observed me either hopping with the walker in the last month or being wheeled in the wheelchair. Anyway it is nice to feel people are rooting for me. Even people I don't know. :))

We stopped by a few animal rescue groups that are always out on the weekends in our neighborhood and we saw a sweet beautiful gray kitten named Sam who has severe CH-Cerebellar Hypoplasia. He is tiny and the poor dear has no balance and cannot walk and it broke my heart. He is only 4 months old and will never walk and I pray someone will adopt him and give him a good home and happy life.
http://lifewithchcats.com/what-is-cerebellar-hypoplasia/

Anyway even though I realize cats and dogs and other animals don't feel sorry for themselves or know the difference of life without their disability after I petted Sam and talked to him I started getting teary eyed and had to leave the rescue area. It was so difficult to watch him try to stand up and keep falling. And of course you can probably guess that I want to adopt him but we already have 4 sort of special needs cats (emotional special needs that is lol) and no way could we handle Sam's special disability with everything going on at the moment. But I cannot imagine he will get adopted and I don't know what the animal rescue group will do with him.

If Sam is there next weekend I am going to straighten myself out and not cry and talk to them about him. If anyone has any ideas on how to get a sweet as sugar special needs kitty like Sam adopted I would welcome your suggestions!

I ordered a Fitter First wobble board on Friday after my therapy session with Victor's consent (he probably thinks I like spending money because I am always asking him if I can buy this or that to help my home therapy routine) and it came Sunday night. I love getting orders on Sunday but mainly I just love the speed of Amazon Prime.

It turns out I ordered the wrong thing as I had been expecting a square rocker board but I ordered a round wobble board. They are similar but the square rocker board is more stable. Greg thinks the round wobble board is better as it will engage more ankle motion and hence train more stability for me so I am going to try it for a few days and see if I can handle it. I tried it out last night (as soon as it was delivered) and it is challenging. At first I am going to use it for ankle ROM but eventually I hope to learn better balance and stability by balancing on it. Right now I am using it with my walker so don't worry about me falling. No way could I use it without something to hold onto. I also tried it sitting down and moving my ankle and it was hard so I think this might be helpful.

What I ordered:
http://www.amazon.com/Fitter-First-20-Wobble-Board/dp/B0024QV3F4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1411347948&sr=8-2&keywords=fitter+balance+rocker+board

What I meant to order:
http://www.amazon.com/FitterFirst-inch-Tri-Level-Rocker-Board/dp/B004RC84AA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1411385839&sr=8-3&keywords=fitter+balance+rocker+board

Today my PT session is late at 1:40 PM so I am going to do a set of exercises and the recumbent bike before I go. Greg is taking me and working from home and hopefully no business calls will need to be taken care of during the PT session or travel time.

Have a great day Callie and I hope all is going well with you and thanks for checking in with me. :wavey:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy:

Glad to hear how well you are doing, love the pic of Greg on the new bike! I loved my bike time at PT :dance:

Wobble board, I didn't get on that at PT but they put me standing on this squishy thing and I hated it. I really lost balance and that squishy thing sure highlighted that. Yuck.

Keep on keepin' on, Missy, you're doing fantastic! =)

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, I'm so happy to hear everything that has been going on with you. I'm glad the woman on the street took the time to tell you she can see your progress. I think with everything you have been thru that sometimes you feel like the progress isn't as great as it really is. I think it's great that others are reinforcing how wonderful you are doing and all the progress you have made. I bet Victor loves that you are inquiring about equipment to help your progress. Seriously you are probably his dream patient. It has to be rewarding for him when he sees a patient so determined and making the strides you have made.

Thank you for telling me not to worry about the exercises your doing. I'm sitting her thinking oh no, don't do this without Greg being with you. Then your next sentence is telling me not to worry. Can you read my mind haha?

I can't tell little Sam is breaking your heart. Somehow I get the feeling once you're back to normal a little one who has problems walking or a problem with their leg is in your future. Could you handle another cat in the future? I know Greg thought 4 was enough.
My baby has severe food allergies. The vet has said on a couple of occasions that she is glad she's with me. I guess many owners would not watch her as closely as my husband and I do. We are fanatical above her not eating anything other than her special food. She got really sick once when all her issues first started and it was terrible. She wouldn't eat or drink for 5 days. We brought her in daily for IV treatments. All she wanted to do was lay on my lap. We were both so worried. Thank goodness she pulled thru. I definitely see another dog with us in the not so distant future.

I had a really busy weekend. Lots of shopping which I always find fun now that the fall clothes are in the stores. I went to dinner with a friend on Friday night and out with my sister in law and niece on Saturday night. My husband has been out of town on business but comes home in a few days. I think his travel will be done for the rest of the year now which is wonderful!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1411404149|3755277 said:
Hi Missy:

Glad to hear how well you are doing, love the pic of Greg on the new bike! I loved my bike time at PT :dance:

Wobble board, I didn't get on that at PT but they put me standing on this squishy thing and I hated it. I really lost balance and that squishy thing sure highlighted that. Yuck.

Keep on keepin' on, Missy, you're doing fantastic! =)

Thanks azstonie! I love the bike too. I have been doing an hour a day on it at home and Victor said as long as it doesn't hurt it's fine to do. At least I feel like I am doing some cardio albeit mild for now. I am at the very lowest intensity but still getting my heart rate up because I am out of shape after 12 plus weeks of inactivity!

That squishy thing you are talking about-is it a Theraband stability trainer? We don't have that at PT but a friend sent me a link to them for stability training. All similar to the wobble board and rocker board. I don't love them either because my balance is lacking and my ankle still has limited range of motion and it is difficult to do.

We have a rocker board at PT and the wobble board I ordered is even more challenging lol. But Victor said to keep the wobble board (that I ordered mistakenly instead of the rocker board I meant to buy) because I can do more things with the wobble board and that I just need to maintain focus and concentration while doing it unlike the rocker board where you can just mindlessly move it with your ankle. So I am keeping it and just being very careful. I cannot balance on either the rocker board or wobble board for more than a second but I am going to continue trying as well as do my ankle ROM's on both wobble board at home and rocker board at PT.

And I have yet another toy to have fun with now :dance: ...Greg made me a slant board this morning before PT because I didn't want to spend $130 for one on Amazon and I think it's better than the slant board at PT! It is adjustable from 10 degrees all the way up to 45 or more with the way he built it. I am going to attach pics. It took Greg only about an hour to make it. Pretty cool and he enjoyed building it. 8-) And when I showed Victor the pics of it at PT today he was impressed.

Victor said that on Wed he is going to have me try walking without the walker and just in the boot. He actually wanted me to try at home but I convinced him instead to let me try without the boot and using the walker. I am too unsteady IMO to go without the walker but as long as I have the walker I feel I can go without the boot at home. If I go outside of course I will wear the boot and use the walker. But on Wed at PT he is going to have me with NO walker and wearing the boot. I am way too nervous to try that at home so will wait till Wed at PT. But I am very happy to have been given the green light for no boot at home as long as I am using the walker! Woohoo! :appl:

Now I just need to build up my calf muscles and my ankle because it feels so weak and unsteady. I know it takes time but Victor is making me nervous wanting me to go without the walker!

adjustableslantboardbygreg.jpg

slantboardsideview.jpg

slantboardcloseup.jpg

homemadeslantboardbygreg.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1411406938|3755299 said:
Hi Missy, I'm so happy to hear everything that has been going on with you. I'm glad the woman on the street took the time to tell you she can see your progress. I think with everything you have been thru that sometimes you feel like the progress isn't as great as it really is. I think it's great that others are reinforcing how wonderful you are doing and all the progress you have made. I bet Victor loves that you are inquiring about equipment to help your progress. Seriously you are probably his dream patient. It has to be rewarding for him when he sees a patient so determined and making the strides you have made.

Thank you for telling me not to worry about the exercises your doing. I'm sitting her thinking oh no, don't do this without Greg being with you. Then your next sentence is telling me not to worry. Can you read my mind haha?

I can't tell little Sam is breaking your heart. Somehow I get the feeling once you're back to normal a little one who has problems walking or a problem with their leg is in your future. Could you handle another cat in the future? I know Greg thought 4 was enough.
My baby has severe food allergies. The vet has said on a couple of occasions that she is glad she's with me. I guess many owners would not watch her as closely as my husband and I do. We are fanatical above her not eating anything other than her special food. She got really sick once when all her issues first started and it was terrible. She wouldn't eat or drink for 5 days. We brought her in daily for IV treatments. All she wanted to do was lay on my lap. We were both so worried. Thank goodness she pulled thru. I definitely see another dog with us in the not so distant future.

I had a really busy weekend. Lots of shopping which I always find fun now that the fall clothes are in the stores. I went to dinner with a friend on Friday night and out with my sister in law and niece on Saturday night. My husband has been out of town on business but comes home in a few days. I think his travel will be done for the rest of the year now which is wonderful!

Hi Callie, sounds like you had a great weekend! Eating out with friends and family and shopping. Perfect last weekend of summer. And I am so glad for you that your dh is almost done with his travel for the year. YAY! :appl:

You are an awesome mommy to your fur baby for sure. And your vet is right in that your dog is so lucky to have you. There are many irresponsible or at least much less conscientious pet owners than you can imagine. To them pets are just possessions and not so much members of the family but the same could be said for children. Not all of them get the best parents sadly. I am happy your sweet dog is now doing well. How scary for all of you. Food allergies can be tricky to diagnose and manage and glad it is all under control. When do you think you might be getting a new addition to the family? Exciting!

I really don't want 5 kitties anytime soon. It's too much on our plate for a long while into the future. According to my doctor and therapist it will be a good 2-3 years to make maximum progress and well not sure how it is going to go and then I have the work issue. Not sure what I am going to do. We are going to EHR (electronic health records) right now and I am missing it all and it is going to be so much more challenging going back with just my injury and then add electronic records and it's daunting.

But I am not going to make any decisions just yet and take it as it comes. Let's see how I progress with therapy and then I will worry about work and decide if I return or not. Ideally I would like to go back to my original work schedule but I don't want to put any more pressure on myself than I already have so health first and work maybe later. Maybe. But adding another cat not something I want to do at least not yet. Of course my heart goes out to all the rescue animals needing loving families and especially those dear handicapped cats. I wish I was in the position to adopt a special needs cat but unfortunately not in the foreseeable future.

Greg just came by and saw me typing away and said he hopes I am blogging about how well I am doing in therapy and how happy he is with my progress. LOL how did he guess what I was doing just now? :cheeky: Anyway, he is very encouraging and I am doing OK but he is overly confident in my abilities. Baby steps literally and I am OK with that!

If you read my above post to azstonie you will see I am going to try walking without the boot (only at home!) but continuing with the walker and don't worry Callie because I will be careful...I am being super cautious now and concentrating on every single baby step I am taking. I hope it goes well and that I continue making progress. Wed Victor wants me to do the opposite at therapy. Boot without walker which is much tougher. I am not ready to let go of the stability the walker provides me but I will trust Victor and we will see how Wed goes.

Have a good night Callie. :wavey:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great work Missy! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Great work Greg! :appl: :appl: :appl:

You are making spectacular progress!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient|1411450891|3755607 said:
Great work Missy! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Great work Greg! :appl: :appl: :appl:

You are making spectacular progress!

Thank you TooPatient! Don't get too excited though. Last night my affected leg was so very weak that I really could not put much weight on it at all. :blackeye:
I had been sitting on the couch for a couple of hours before bed last night when I attempted to get up and get ready for bed and it was challenging. It could have been due to the fact I was just resting it and not using it for those couple of hours while we were just hanging out or the fact that I did a lot yesterday but it was a bit discouraging. I made my way to the bedroom without being able to put much weight on that leg though... and of course it was/is quite swollen which I know is to be expected but it seems a step or 2 forward and then a but backwards.

This morning I tried putting more weight on it and I wasn't able to shift all my weight to that leg like Victor wants me to do so I am going to work on that today. If I cannot do it though I am not going to force it because I don't want to injure anything. Perhaps in my eagerness and motivation I convinced Victor I could do more than I really can? Not sure but we will see how today goes at home with my home PT. I see Victor tomorrow and am supposed to attempt walking with the boot and without the walker at PT tomorrow but right now I am not confident about that at all.

But thanks for the cheer and encouragement and I will continue to soldier on!!!

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Missy -

You really need to do what Victor says and try walking in the boot. Get one crutch and put it on the side of the bad leg to take some of the weight. I'm not sure why your PT isn't offering that as an option because it's a much better idea than walking without the boot using the walker which is way too risky. You're a very cautious person, but the method you're using is crazy because one misstep and your ankle is toast. Please stop that!! You're making me worried and I have enough stress in my life.

Wearing the boot is so much safer because it gives you stability and if you're not comfortable with 100% weight then use one crutch (not two) to regulate how much weight you put on it. It's really much better than what you're doing with the walker so please try it. Even me who was a total klutz with two crutches was able to do it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rainwood said:
Missy -

You really need to do what Victor says and try walking in the boot. Get one crutch and put it on the side of the bad leg to take some of the weight. I'm not sure why your PT isn't offering that as an option because it's a much better idea than walking without the boot using the walker which is way too risky. You're a very cautious person, but the method you're using is crazy because one misstep and your ankle is toast. Please stop that!! You're making me worried and I have enough stress in my life.

Wearing the boot is so much safer because it gives you stability and if you're not comfortable with 100% weight then use one crutch (not two) to regulate how much weight you put on it. It's really much better than what you're doing with the walker so please try it. Even me who was a total klutz with two crutches was able to do it.

Thanks rainwood. I don't know what's gotten into me because as you say I am usually cautious and now after reading what you wrote I think I behaved foolishly again. I was walking without the boot with the walker all day at home practicing. I have a limp and a very halting gait but I was feeling happy and that I was making progress and now I think I was crazy.

I have no clue how much my ankle can handle as as you wrote one misstep and I would be back at the beginning or maybe worse if that's possible and I am sure it is possible. I am now wearing the boot because of you though I cannot find the crutches (not sure where Greg put them because he moved them from where I had originally placed them) but I am using the walker with the boot for now. And when Greg gets home I will try the crutch on the affected side and see how that goes. And tomorrow at PT I will see what happens and what Victor thinks I should do next. I also overdid the ankle ROM exercises today because it is hurting a lot despite lots of ice and elevation. So no more ROM today and just rest.

Also, I was wondering if you have any after boot recommendations for shoes? I have no clue and Victor had no recs and not sure my surgeon will have any for me either though I will be sure to ask him next week Thursday when I see him next.

Thanks again and sorry to be such a bother and worry!

ETA: Spoke with Greg and he told me where the crutches are but he doesn't want me using the crutches till I have Victor's supervision so I will be using the boot with the walker for the rest of the day till I see what Victor's recommendation is tomorrow.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Missy, I'm sorry you've been in some pain today. I think you are being way too hard on yourself. I have no idea what would be the best way for you to get around so I've got nothing to add. Although it seems like there may be more than one way to do so. Hopefully Victor will be able to advise what he thinks will work best for you. I'm sure he will be able to put your mind at ease. I hope you feel a little more comfortable after your therapy session tomorrow. Please don't get down on yourself.

It seems strange that Victor and the surgeons office don't have a list of different boots/shoes that have worked well for their patients in the past. I understand what people find comfortable may vary but I would think there would be a list to start with.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy!

How are you doing? Sorry to see you are hurting a lot from walking without your boot. Feel better!

I picked the iPhone 6 because I doubt I could hold the Plus in my tiny hands.

How nice to go for a walk outside and see some people you know. I know you enjoyed seeing the rescue kitties.

We didn’t do much over my long weekend. I played with my new phone on Friday. Saturday and Sunday I made us some homemade meals that of course meant spending a lot of time in the kitchen. Marty played golf on Sunday.

I hope you like your Merrills.

You’ve come a very long way in 2 months since your accident. You have made and continue to make terrific progress. Those wobble boards are really interesting, it looks like they would help build up some strength and motion for you.

Take care!
Marcy

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Missy -

To answer your after boot footwear question, I think I had to wear running shoes exclusively for awhile. My foot and ankle were swollen plus I was wearing a compression ankle sleeve and my foot wouldn't fit into any of my shoes that weren't a lace up that I could adjust. It was kind of a drag, but that was all that would work.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1411522272|3756068 said:
Oh Missy, I'm sorry you've been in some pain today. I think you are being way too hard on yourself. I have no idea what would be the best way for you to get around so I've got nothing to add. Although it seems like there may be more than one way to do so. Hopefully Victor will be able to advise what he thinks will work best for you. I'm sure he will be able to put your mind at ease. I hope you feel a little more comfortable after your therapy session tomorrow. Please don't get down on yourself.

It seems strange that Victor and the surgeons office don't have a list of different boots/shoes that have worked well for their patients in the past. I understand what people find comfortable may vary but I would think there would be a list to start with.

Hi Callie. PT went well today but my ankle is very swollen and though Victor assures me this is normal (and I also know that from everyone here who has been through a leg injury) it is a bit distressing nonetheless. Plus with increased swelling comes increased pain but I take heart in the knowledge I am making progress. I just don't want to exacerbate my injury and I don't know for sure when I am pushing myself too much if you kwim. But I am listening to Victor and continuing with all the exercises and hoping it will all be OK.

I know it's weird that Victor doesn't know of any shoe recommendations. Maybe my surgeon will when I see him next week. I just want to make sure I have enough support.

On the positive side Victor now wants me to walk only with the boot and the cane and no walker. I am not 100% confident with my footing with just the cane but I am being super careful and will not be walking outside without Greg and am practicing in the house. Exciting to be making progress and sorry if I sound so nervous and tentative. It's all so new to me and it feels funny.

Victor is hoping my surgeon discharges the boot next Thursday so I can start walking without it and a cane. I can truthfully say I do NOT feel ready for walking with just a cane and no boot as I am on unsteady ground as it is with the boot and cane. We'll see. Right now #1 on my to do list in to NOT injure myself further and second to continue making progress no matter how slow.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marcy said:
Hi Missy!

How are you doing? Sorry to see you are hurting a lot from walking without your boot. Feel better!

I picked the iPhone 6 because I doubt I could hold the Plus in my tiny hands.

How nice to go for a walk outside and see some people you know. I know you enjoyed seeing the rescue kitties.

We didn’t do much over my long weekend. I played with my new phone on Friday. Saturday and Sunday I made us some homemade meals that of course meant spending a lot of time in the kitchen. Marty played golf on Sunday.

I hope you like your Merrills.

You’ve come a very long way in 2 months since your accident. You have made and continue to make terrific progress. Those wobble boards are really interesting, it looks like they would help build up some strength and motion for you.

Take care!
Marcy

Hi Marcy! That makes sense. I didn't realize how big the 6+ iPhone is. Hope you are enjoying the 6 and be careful as I just saw a news report where people were complaining the phone bent when they left it in their pockets while sitting. That's thin!

Cooking is a good chore for weekends because you can spend some time preparing nutritious meals for the whole week. That's what we do and take the leftovers for lunch and that way we are not forced to make unhealthy choices on the run. Hope Marty had a good golf game...soon you might be taking up the sport too and then you will give Marty a run for the money haha. :appl:

The Merrells didn't come yet but when they do they will be inside shoes as they are not supportive enough if they even fit because I might have ordered too small a size. I saw on another website that they run small so they may not fit.

I am enjoying the wobble board. I can do a lot of different exercises on it and it is a very useful tool. LOL it reminds me of the tune "weebles wobble but they don't fall down"...haha blast from my past.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rainwood said:
Missy -

To answer your after boot footwear question, I think I had to wear running shoes exclusively for awhile. My foot and ankle were swollen plus I was wearing a compression ankle sleeve and my foot wouldn't fit into any of my shoes that weren't a lace up that I could adjust. It was kind of a drag, but that was all that would work.

Thanks rainwood. I find my sneakers are all so tight though they are a full size larger than my regular shoe size as that is how I used to buy my running sneakers for comfort. Hopefully my surgeon or his PA might have some supportive shoe recs next week because I would like to be able to wear shoes or boots but if they don't I will buy some supportive sneakers while I am healing I guess. I have been wearing compression socks as tolerated and I do find it helps a bit though I cannot wear them all day as it gets to be too uncomfortable. I will have to google compression sleeve as that sounds more heavy duty than a sock.

Thanks again for the advice. I am only wearing the boot to walk now and that's because of your words of caution to me. I don't know why this past Monday Victor OK'd me wearing the shoe in the house and using the walker (even though I wanted to he shouldn't have Okayed it if it wasn't safe) because today I told him a friend advised me not to do that and that I should be only using the boot for now and he agreed. Talk about an about face! :o

So for now it's the boot with the cane. He wants me to get comfortable with the cane and when my surgeon finally discharges me from the boot Victor said I will start relearning how to walk without the boot and with the cane still. So fingers crossed it all goes smoothly and without incident. Thanks for chiming in and for caring. I truly appreciate it and please do not hesitate to admonish me again if I am doing anything wrong. I feel that I get more valuable info here than with the experts in the field much of the time!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, I'm so glad to hear everything went well with PT today. I honestly don't know how you are keeping sane lately. I would be feeling frustrated. You get a lot of conflicting information that might not be so troublesome if it were about a less serious issue. But come on, the last thing you want to do is do further damage to your leg right now. I don't blame you for not feeling comfortable. It would impossible not to second guess anything you do right now. I'm sure once your leg/ankle feel more stable it will be easier not to worry. I think it's only natural to worry at this stage. Try to hang in there. This phase will hopefully pass quickly and your leg will feel more stable soon. I can only image how strange everything must feel to you now. I know the swelling and pain are all part of the process to getting better but I still wish you weren't going thru it. Hugs

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1411580312|3756418 said:
Hi Missy, I'm so glad to hear everything went well with PT today. I honestly don't know how you are keeping sane lately. I would be feeling frustrated. You get a lot of conflicting information that might not be so troublesome if it were about a less serious issue. But come on, the last thing you want to do is do further damage to your leg right now. I don't blame you for not feeling comfortable. It would impossible not to second guess anything you do right now. I'm sure once your leg/ankle feel more stable it will be easier not to worry. I think it's only natural to worry at this stage. Try to hang in there. This phase will hopefully pass quickly and your leg will feel more stable soon. I can only image how strange everything must feel to you now. I know the swelling and pain are all part of the process to getting better but I still wish you weren't going thru it. Hugs

Hi Callie, thanks for understanding. Most of my concern is just not knowing for sure I am not making anything worse. I did my 4 exercise sessions today (3 at home 1 at PT) with all the weight bearing exercises and ROMs and walked with the cane and boot and my ankle is really hurting me and feels very weak. So just plan on resting for the rest of the evening. I keep telling myself it's normal that it is hurting and swollen and I didn't injure anything further. :pray: :pray: :pray:

Greg just got home from work and will be starting dinner soon. Poor dear woke up with a cold yesterday and I know he is feeling crummy and tomorrow I have PT because Victor is away Friday. So we switched sessions and it is supposed to be torrential downpours tomorrow AM so cannot wait :roll: to go to PT in the pouring rain with Greg wheeling me and the both of us getting soaked. It's sort of funny if you think about it if there wasn't so much going on. We cannot take a cab because it would be too difficult with the wheelchair and getting it out in the torrential rain and Greg thinks it best to just wheel me there with my raincoat on and a garbage bag over my boot. Haha I can just imagine how that will look and if Greg wasn't ill it would not be the best scenario but with him being under the weather it just adds another level of dark humor. :wall:

Oh and the PT place called me at 5PM today saying that my insurance didn't OK tomorrow's session yet so I will be responsible for the full cost if they don't approve it. I mean I have 3 metal plates in my leg and countless screws and WTH is my health insurance doing here? They drag their feet (haha another pun swear I didn't mean to do that) on everything important it seems. Just another thing on the list.

Don't worry though I am in OK spirits despite the way my post sounds. If I knew for sure I didn't do any more damage I would be very happy right now since I am walking sort of...Enjoy the evening and thanks for the much needed hugs and hugs to you too. :wavey:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy,

I have been reading stories about the iPhone’s “bendgate”. I bought a clear case so I can “see” the gold back but I am rethinking that now. I probably should get a more sturdy case. I am very klutzy!

I agree with you having leftovers for lunch is a lot better for you than eating on the run. Usually that means fast food. We try to eat at home most of the time. That also means eating out is more of a treat.

I really do think I’ll try to learn some golf next summer. Marty definitely won’t have to worry about me beating him though.

LOL at the tune weebles wobbles. Once I get a song in my head it sticks there for the day too. I am delighted you are enjoying the wobble board though.

My uncle is an orthopedic surgeon and he always recommends Brooks and New Balance running shoes for support. I have great luck with Brooks beast. They are men’s shoes but they feet my feet better. Of course what works for me may not work for you. For a while anything might feel iffy to you until you get stronger with your ankle. That is kind of strange Victor told you today not to try and walk without your boot after telling you it was okay earlier.

I am sorry you are so sore after all of your PT and exercises tonight. Good idea to take it easy tonight. You deserve it.

I hate to hear Greg is sick. Getting you to PT in the rain sounds challenging but hopefully it turns in to a fun outing. I can see you guys with a big old bag over your boot, and Greg rushing down the street in the rain. It’s just one of those things that you make as well make the best of it. Once a friend of my moms and I were riding in to my parents cabin on a snow machine and we kept hitting bumps and falling off the snow machine. We got to laughing so hard we could hardly get back up. It was really amusing. I still chuckle about it.

Good luck tomorrow! I hope you have a good night’s sleep.

Marcy

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marcy said:
Hi Missy,

I have been reading stories about the iPhone’s “bendgate”. I bought a clear case so I can “see” the gold back but I am rethinking that now. I probably should get a more sturdy case. I am very klutzy!

I agree with you having leftovers for lunch is a lot better for you than eating on the run. Usually that means fast food. We try to eat at home most of the time. That also means eating out is more of a treat.

I really do think I’ll try to learn some golf next summer. Marty definitely won’t have to worry about me beating him though.

LOL at the tune weebles wobbles. Once I get a song in my head it sticks there for the day too. I am delighted you are enjoying the wobble board though.

My uncle is an orthopedic surgeon and he always recommends Brooks and New Balance running shoes for support. I have great luck with Brooks beast. They are men’s shoes but they feet my feet better. Of course what works for me may not work for you. For a while anything might feel iffy to you until you get stronger with your ankle. That is kind of strange Victor told you today not to try and walk without your boot after telling you it was okay earlier.

I am sorry you are so sore after all of your PT and exercises tonight. Good idea to take it easy tonight. You deserve it.

I hate to hear Greg is sick. Getting you to PT in the rain sounds challenging but hopefully it turns in to a fun outing. I can see you guys with a big old bag over your boot, and Greg rushing down the street in the rain. It’s just one of those things that you make as well make the best of it. Once a friend of my moms and I were riding in to my parents cabin on a snow machine and we kept hitting bumps and falling off the snow machine. We got to laughing so hard we could hardly get back up. It was really amusing. I still chuckle about it.

Good luck tomorrow! I hope you have a good night’s sleep.

Marcy

Good morning Marcy!

Thanks for the sneaker recommendation. When I am able to go and try them on in person I will be looking at Brooks and New Balance. If your uncle the orthopedic surgeon likes them then I know they offer proper support. I used to run with Brooks sneakers in the nineties and they were pretty good. Seems like a lifetime ago.

It was funny yesterday. Greg put both of my legs in a huge garbage bag and wrapped it under me in the wheelchair with my raincoat and hood on and off we went. It was raining pretty steadily but it was sort of fun and funny at the same time. Victor was waiting for us-sometimes we get there before anybody as we usually have early appointments. Yesterday we had a 7:40 AM appointment and he was there all ready for me.

Victor took it easy on me because he said my ankle and foot were more swollen than the day before and I also told him my ankle was aggravated from the previous days exercises I guess. Mainly I think walking with the cane was too much too soon for my ankle. Walking with the cane forces me to put more weight on it than walking with my walker and I think that was the main cause of the extra swelling and discomfort and more importantly caused my ankle to get weaker. Victor worked on more passive exercises with me yesterday though I did get to use the Pilates Reformer. That's one of my favorite pieces of equipment. I wish we had extra space for more exercise equipment at home because I love that thing. It's huge though and also not cheap but maybe one day when we convert (and insulate) the large unfinished attic at the beach house into my huge walk in closet ( :appl: ) I can specify a space up there for extra workout equipment...hmmm. :think:

So I tapered it back yesterday and after PT I only did my home therapy exercises 3 times and less intensely than prior days. I also decided not to use the cane but instead relied on the walker for the rest of the day (always wearing my boot) and mainly just had my leg elevated with icing throughout the day so not much walking at all. While I hate the fact that I might have lost some ground yesterday I know I have to be smart about it so I don't injure myself and lose even more progress. I don't know how my ankle is yet today because I just woke up a short while ago but hopefully it is better.

Greg has a bad cold but isn't complaining at all. He is pretty nonchalant when he gets sick and just goes on business as usual. Poor sweetie was coughing a lot last night and this morning. I hope he starts feeling better soon.

Your ride on the snow machine to your parents cabin sounds like fun. I enjoy those sorts of adventures though this year I would be happy without any of them LOL. Glad you guys made the best of it. It's the only way to do it.

Have a good day and hope you are enjoying your new iPhone and that it is behaving itself and staying unbent!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, I'm sorry to hear your ankle has been more sore than previous days. I'm still a little bit confused about why they feel the cane is better for you than the walker and boot. I'd feel like your leg would be more supported with the boot and the walker would more stable in general for walking than a cane. Am I missing something???

It's been a crazy week on my end. The past two days have been spent getting the new roof put on the house then in the midst of everything my stepfather was rushed to hospital. My husband is coming home from England today and just arrived at O'Hare. I can't believe they let his plane land. When I heard the news this morning he was already in the air. I had no idea where he might be stranded. I'm sure he will have lots to tell me about the airport when he comes home. Glad this week is over!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake said:
Hi Missy, I'm sorry to hear your ankle has been more sore than previous days. I'm still a little bit confused about why they feel the cane is better for you than the walker and boot. I'd feel like your leg would be more supported with the boot and the walker would more stable in general for walking than a cane. Am I missing something???

It's been a crazy week on my end. The past two days have been spent getting the new roof put on the house then in the midst of everything my stepfather was rushed to hospital. My husband is coming home from England today and just arrived at O'Hare. I can't believe they let his plane land. When I heard the news this morning he was already in the air. I had no idea where he might be stranded. I'm sure he will have lots to tell me about the airport when he comes home. Glad this week is over!

Hi Callie, I am so relieved for you that your dh arrived at the airport safely. It's amazing given the chaos that was happening. Hope he is home with you right now safe and sound and I am sure he has a story to tell.

I am sorry about your stepfather and I hope he is OK. Sending good thoughts and healing PS dust your (and your stepfather's) way.

You're right. My leg/ankle/foot would be more supported with the boot and walker but my therapist wants me to start transitioning to no walker and eventually no cane but first step is to transition from the walker to the cane with the boot. But right now that is too much too soon for me. I know how my ankle feels and it is very weak and not ready for full weight like that. Nothing would make me happier than to throw all the devices away and start walking believe me but it's going to take some time.

I have my follow-up appointment next Thursday with the surgeon and they will be taking X-rays and we'll see how my leg and ankle look and I am praying for a good outcome. Right now my ankle and foot are very swollen though I have been sleeping with my leg elevated all night. Usually in the morning it isn't terribly swollen but today it is.

Have a great day and enjoy your dh being home with you and here's to no more travel for him anytime soon unless it's with you someplace you want to visit. :wavey:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well with your appointment with the surgeon this week. I'm sure it will. I believe what you are experiencing is common for the injury you have. I hate to say this but the swelling I think is pretty normal for the phase of recovery you are in. I know it has to be hard to deal with nonetheless. You have been such a trooper through all of this. Your sense of humor has remained in tact through everything and that in itself is quite an accomplishment.

Are you having a large closet made at your beach house? As a wonderful surprise my husband had a large one made in our house a few years ago. We have a spare bedroom upstairs and on the other side of the closet for this room was empty space above the garage. He had the whole above garage space turned into a closet for me. It turned out beautiful. The builder came over and we designed it together. I didn't want to walk in and see the clothes. I am known for my house being spotless with nothing out of place but every closet in the house looks like bomb went off it in. I have everything behind beautiful doors with lots of thick beautiful woodwork, mirrors and small chandeliers. It truly is one of the prettiest rooms in my house. Mind you I could have had a beautiful huge diamond for what it cost but it was so worth every penny. I actually think it's better than most of the celebrity closets I have seen. My only regret was not being able to have it built off the master bedroom. We have a large walk in closet in the master but this closest would have been spectacular off the master bedroom.

My husband made it home safely and said there was no one at O'Hare yesterday afternoon. Everyone had pretty much left due to all the flight cancellations. I'm very surprised a fire could do so much damaged. I would have thought there would be sophisticated back up plans in place for situations like this. Fires have been known to happen and the fact a plan wasn't in place is scary to me.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Callie, I am glad your dh made it home safely. What a nightmare at O'Hare.

Your closet sounds awesome. I would love to see pics if you were willing. It sounds like you have my dream closet! I definitely need more closet space at the beach house. I have a walk in closet in the master as does Greg (but his walk in closet is smaller) but it's not big enough to hold my clothes and when/if we move there full time definitely not large enough. So I was planning on converting part of our attic into a huge walk in closet but first we have to insulate it etc so I know it will be a not inexpensive undertaking but it is on the list. Also need to have a garage built for Greg and I want to redo the kitchen. Right now though none of this is going to get any of my time or energy as I need to regain my functioning back before I worry about anything else.

I've been sort of down the last few days as my ankle feels so weak when I walk on it even with the boot and walker. I feel I should be farther along since Victor wanted me walking with the boot and no walker or cane by now and I cannot even walk properly or without pain with the walker. It's challenging to remain positive when I see progress slipping away and we are now on week 13 since the accident (this past Friday was week 13) and tomorrow is week 12 since the surgery. And I am worried that perhaps I have a ripped tendon or something that the doctors missed since no one ordered an MRI. My achilles tendon area is still so swollen and tender and well my mind is not being quiet.

Anyway we are getting ready for a short outing in the neighborhood and it feels like summer so that's nice. Though when I feel a bit depressed like this I start thinking about how we would be cycling right now if the accident didn't happen and how great that would have been. I know it's not constructive but when I am sad about it all I cannot help going down that dark road. Once again I feel as if I am disappointing Greg with my dark thoughts and I am trying to snap out of it.

Hopefully today's walk/wheel will help. Yesterday's outing helped a bit because I was not in a good place emotionally then either. I know if my ankle felt stronger I would be feeling much more positive. That's the main reason I am feeling down. I am scared I will never really regain most of my abilities.

I know you are going to say I don't need to apologize for the way I am feeling but I am going to say I am sorry anyway. I would like nothing better to be upbeat and cheerful more of the time but right now that's just not possible and I want to thank you for listening and allowing me to express freely how I am feeling. I hope you are having a good day and enjoying some of this summer like weather we are having this first full weekend of autumn!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The down times, those are tough. You're right where you should be considering your injury and surgery and Victor's goals are flexible based on best guess, not exact science.

Definitely get out of the house, your mood will lift. Manage your mind or it will manage you :twirl:

I just binge watched Breaking Bad. Have you seen it? There is a character who goes through PT/rehab and he starts obsessively collecting rocks ("Minerals, goddammit, not rocks!) to get him through it and manage his mind.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, You are absolutely right... I'm going to say it....you don't need to apologize. Take a deep breath and think about it this way for a minute. I'm pretty sure everything you are feeling is completely normal. If I was going thru what you are wouldn't you expect me to have the same emotions that you have been feeling the past few days? Would you really expect me not to have some not so great days? It would be very easy to go down a dark road for ANYONE in your situation. These feelings will pass and you'll feel like yourself again soon. I can understand you not wanting to tell Greg but I'm pretty sure he would understand. I'm so glad you can come here and vent when you feel bad. Sometimes just talking about how you are feeling can make you feel so much better. Keep telling yourself you will be on your bike again. You will get your life back. It just such a huge pain in the butt because it hasn't been a quick process but you are getting so much closer. Look how far you have already come!

I seriously doubt that you have done any damage to your leg. I really think it's the ole one step forward two steps back healing process. I hope the surgeon will do tests that will help put your mind at ease. I'm a worrier so I can easily relate to how your feeling. I don't think there is a worse feeling than being afraid. Logic can quickly leave a persons thought process once fear sets in. You only have a few more days before your doctor's visit so please try not to stress yourself out. I'm sure he will put your mind at ease. Tell him how worried you have been. If there is a test you think will make you feel more at ease, make sure he understands that you need that test done.

Does anything I said above make sense? If there is anything I've learned in my life it's that no ones life is perfect all the time. If you find yourself having a harder time getting out of dark moods, talk to your doctor. You are going thru a really hard time right now. They can give you medicine to help you through it. In all honesty your mood seems very upbeat most of the time. Your sense of humor always comes shining thru. Having a few bad days seems pretty normal to me with what you have been dealing with. How you feel is what's most important though. If you don't think what your feeling is normal, please let your doctor know. Hugs, hugs and more hugs. Please know I'm here for you and don't ever feel you can't say how you feel.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1411928119|3758208 said:
The down times, those are tough. You're right where you should be considering your injury and surgery and Victor's goals are flexible based on best guess, not exact science.

Definitely get out of the house, your mood will lift. Manage your mind or it will manage you :twirl:

I just binge watched Breaking Bad. Have you seen it? There is a character who goes through PT/rehab and he starts obsessively collecting rocks ("Minerals, goddammit, not rocks!) to get him through it and manage his mind.

Hi azstonie, I loved Breaking Bad and was sad when it ended. Great show.
And thanks for reminding me the healing process varies. I was never a fan of the unknown and imprecise but I have no choice but to deal with exactly that right now.

Calliecake said:
Missy, You are absolutely right... I'm going to say it....you don't need to apologize. Take a deep breath and think about it this way for a minute. I'm pretty sure everything you are feeling is completely normal. If I was going thru what you are wouldn't you expect me to have the same emotions that you have been feeling the past few days? Would you really expect me not to have some not so great days? It would be very easy to go down a dark road for ANYONE in your situation. These feelings will pass and you'll feel like yourself again soon. I can understand you not wanting to tell Greg but I'm pretty sure he would understand. I'm so glad you can come here and vent when you feel bad. Sometimes just talking about how you are feeling can make you feel so much better. Keep telling yourself you will be on your bike again. You will get your life back. It just such a huge pain in the butt because it hasn't been a quick process but you are getting so much closer. Look how far you have already come!

I seriously doubt that you have done any damage to your leg. I really think it's the ole one step forward two steps back healing process. I hope the surgeon will do tests that will help put your mind at ease. I'm a worrier so I can easily relate to how your feeling. I don't think there is a worse feeling than being afraid. Logic can quickly leave a persons thought process once fear sets in. You only have a few more days before your doctor's visit so please try not to stress yourself out. I'm sure he will put your mind at ease. Tell him how worried you have been. If there is a test you think will make you feel more at ease, make sure he understands that you need that test done.

Does anything I said above make sense? If there is anything I've learned in my life it's that no ones life is perfect all the time. If you find yourself having a harder time getting out of dark moods, talk to your doctor. You are going thru a really hard time right now. They can give you medicine to help you through it. In all honesty your mood seems very upbeat most of the time. Your sense of humor always comes shining thru. Having a few bad days seems pretty normal to me with what you have been dealing with. How you feel is what's most important though. If you don't think what your feeling is normal, please let your doctor know. Hugs, hugs and more hugs. Please know I'm here for you and don't ever feel you can't say how you feel.

Thanks Callie. Everything you wrote makes sense and it really helps me just to come here, share my concerns and lean on you guys. Of course I hope one day I will come here and everything will be great and as perfect as possible to the point I no longer need this thread. And thanks for the hugs. I really need them now and big hugs back at ya!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, I hope you are feeling better today. How did your therapy session go today? Does the swelling seem better?

I still think you are doing so well. I wish you were as proud of yourself as we all are of you! I think you are amazing Missy!

Did you and Greg have a good time yesterday? I'm pretty sure you have been having the same beautiful weather that we've been having in Chicago. I hope you'll be able to get out a bit and enjoy the weather. I'm so dreading the cold this year. My flowers always look best this time of the year. I told my husband I want a green house to put all my potted plants in. Don't think that's going to happen!

Is Greg's cold started to get better? How has your mom been feeling?

I'm going to have my husband take some pictures of the closet. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out how to post a picture. I will tell you I seriously doubt we will get our money back when we sell the house. We both looked at it that it would be something I would enjoy until we retired and move. We decided not to worry much about it increasing the home value. I think it's a pretty safe bet someone will be enjoying it after we move. Two of the workers wanted to bring their wives to see it. They said they had decided against it because they thought they would hear about it for years to come and they didn't have the extra room in their home to build one for their wives.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning Callie. Greg is feeling well thanks for asking. His cold cleared up pretty quickly thankfully. My mom is still in the knee brace and her condition is complicated by the fact that she needs knee surgery on that leg (from before her accident) and now that had to be postponed. So she is having trouble with PT because her knee needs replacement on top of her broken knee cap. The surgeon said she has to postpone the surgery for knee replacement until her knee cap is healed and strong and that will be quite a while from now. Thanks for asking about her.

Yesterday went well at PT. Victor doesn't think the surgeon will discharge me from the boot just yet but he reassures me I am right on schedule which as azstonie wrote is pretty loosely estimated I think. Of course I so badly want to be free of this boot at least when I am inside the house because I cannot learn to walk properly with it on...The boot keeps my ankle stiff so when I walk with it my ankle doesn't bend and the whole point of therapy is to increase my ankle ROM (as well as build up the strength in my leg muscles of course). Wearing the boot when I am home doesn't help with my ankle ROM at all and I feel it is a waste to even walk with it on though I know I have to.

I just hope my X-rays this Thursday show I am healing well. Victor reminded me that I cannot have an MRI ever again because of the metal plates and screws in my leg but if they think anything is amiss I guess they can do a CAT scan. Not sure that would show everything an MRI would but it's my only choice.

I am very much looking forward to seeing your closet (no pressure though!) whenever you have the chance. Haha on the workers being afraid to let their wives see it lol. I totally get that. Most women would love a huge closet and while I don't know if it would increase the value of the house according to how much you put into it I am sure it would increase it somewhat (a good amount). And personally if I loved a house and it had a huge walk in closet I would definitely pay more for that house! No question. It's a quality of life issue. I wouldn't always be searching for certain outfits in different closets as it would all be there right in front of me and with plenty of space. I do not smush my clothes in because I like to see everything easily without moving stuff around if you kwim.

I think having a greenhouse would be amazing. My aunt and uncle have one attached to their house and it is really lovely. I think it is very doable. I bet your dh would be happy to have one built for you if you really wanted one. Think of all the great plants and veggies you could grow. I don't have a green thumb at all but wish I did. No surprise here but Greg is the gardener in our family and he loves a beautiful garden and growing fresh vegetables.

I hope you are still having good weather in Chicago and that you are enjoying having your dh home with you. :wavey:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy :wavey: checking in to see how you are.... glad you are getting there slowly and you sound like you are in good spirits!!! Big hug to you and a big hug to your husband as well you are so lucky to have such a wonderful guy!!!!! My father has a metal plate and a number of pins in one leg (bad spiral fracture many years ago now) and a metal plate holding his shoulder together (a car accident where he was almost killed about 10 years after his leg accident) and he sets off the alarm systems/metal detectors at airports where-ever he goes. We usually joke about him being the bionic man and a heap of other naughty things (concealed item type jokes) - but try not to crack up laughing in front of the big serious looking security guards at the airports, they generally don't find anything very funny....

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1412077808|3759107 said:
Hi Missy :wavey: checking in to see how you are.... glad you are getting there slowly and you sound like you are in good spirits!!! Big hug to you and a big hug to your husband as well you are so lucky to have such a wonderful guy!!!!! My father has a metal plate and a number of pins in one leg (bad spiral fracture many years ago now) and he sets off the alarm systems/metal detectors at the airport where-ever he goes. We usually joke about it after the event (but try not to crack up laughing in front of the big serious looking security guards at the airports, they generally don't find anything very funny....)

Hi arkieb! Thank you for your good thoughts and wishes. I appreciate that so much. How is your dad doing now? Thank goodness he is OK...what a terrible accident! It sounds like he is having fun with his metal plate and pins at the airports lol. Can he walk normally again and is he active? I know everyone has a different experience because everyone's injury is unique to them but of course it helps to hear how others with somewhat similar injuries and surgeries are recovering. Thanks for sharing his story with me and for the hugs and sending big hugs to you too!

ETA: I get jokes about my "bionic" leg too haha. Of course right now it doesn't feel very bionic if you kwim. Hoping to get to that point one day where it feels like a "super" leg and the term bionic will really mean something to me. Or at least a "normal" leg that functions well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results