shape
carat
color
clarity

Not sure why but my e-ring now makes me nauseated

Caramelfreak

Rough_Rock
Sorry, first time poster and long first post! Just needed a place to vent. I feel a little down on my ring.

I love my e-ring but now I am just so tired and nauseated when I look at it. Just wanting a place to vent.

Story: Found a ring whilst on travels in Canada. It was the sapphire's colour that caught my eye and it was already set in a design I was specifically looking for at that time.

Returned home: Lost ring for a day from a broken chain. Found ring on a road near house in the middle of the night- was likely crushed by a car (cars like to park on that road). Sapphire undamaged. Lost a few side stones.

Insurance dramas- won't let me choose my repairer, wants to only payout a thousand to repair it or send it via post to a jeweller in another state that I have never met or heard of. I took the money and found a reputable jeweller- upgraded the ring to platinum from 18K white gold and handmade instead of cast.

Got ring back, looks more beautiful because it is better made but missing 4 diamonds which the jeweller was sure she replaced (she had to replace a few more damaged diamonds) but it actually probably look nicer with a shorter length of pave on the shank (it's a double halo sapphire ring)- the job was very reasonably priced for a handmade ring so i didn't care plus the total was a lot less than what she quoted, which was already the lowest quote at one of the most reputable jewellers I have been to. And a lot more metal as well- the original ring was cast made and quality was probably reasonable enough until it got crushed under a car (diamonds and sapphire are very nice though).

In the midst of this, before settling on the repairer and with the insurance drama, i went to a few other jewellers who scared me about my sapphire (we looked hard for a sapphire we like, most are too dark/ too light/ too dull/ not glowy enough etc.. Wanted unheated, can't find any we like or can examine, and I saw that one on the ring and I loved it instantly, knowing it's not unheated) said it could be fake, could be filled with glass, could be BE treated, could be all crap crap crap etc, can't guarantee won't damage in reset not bought from them- they have the best sapphires etc.. told me my ring is all shit. Went to a gemologist who assured me my sapphire is only heat treated which is common and for the price I paid for, expected.

There is imperfections with this handmade ring but I expect that with handmade and it isn't a bother. Then I just finished a run of night-shifts and was staring at my ring, OCD kicked in, examined ring for all flaws, ring kept shinning under the lighting and hurt my eyes- I was very tired, saw double visions of the ring, and vomited the whole night from a migraine that was probably triggered by tiredness and then scrutinizing my ring from every angle.

Now I am obssessed with if I should put more diamonds on the shank so it will have the original number of diamonds but probably won't look as clean as it does now, and regretted not millgraining it as my wedding ring is millgrained and I loved that, and when I see the ring now, I can feel the emotional stress of he whole process of replacing it that I wished we had just bought a simple diamond with a GIA cert (I don't like diamonds), and so no one could put doubts in my head about my sapphire. And then I wore the ring and it was so shiny from all the diamonds that my migraine got worse and I puked again.

I know it's a strange story, I shouldn't be complaining but other than my sapphire I think the heart of it is that maybe because it isn't the same ring anymore that I feel so weird about my ring? I still feel stress about the whole thing and then there is this debate to add more diamonds to the shank to lengthen the pave so it looks more like the original but part of me goes "what the hell, it looks nicer like that , won't be the same original ring anymore so stop looking for pink elephants". This thought in my head is really distracting and I thought I should probably show a picture of the ring and let the internet world decide if I should add more diamonds but the again, it's silly to not trust myself in this minute decision that really is such a stupid issue of people who are privilege enough (like myself, I am grateful everyday I am in the position to decide on silly things like that) to have such problems in the first place!

I now kept the ring in the box because I just feel a little sad thinking about the whole thing. I was so happy when it was back and then I became awashed with the stress of replacing it; the horrible things said by some other jewellers; maybe we paid too much or bought too much ring when I should have just gone for simple diamond one ( since I don't really love diamonds not much emotions will be involved); then the migraine that scrutinising it after night shifts triggered... I honestly can't look at it now.

I am very afraid I will never feel like it's my E-ring again coz the reality hits and I know it's not the original one which, despite it's poorer craftmanship from being a cast-made, because we saw it and loved it together, it was really perfect.

Just a vent, my friends will hit me on the head for having such a non-issue (to them the ring was stunning/ brilliant etc. etc.). Maybe I have just turned crazy from the whole thing (the replacement/ insurance back and forth took months!). I never saw myself as a materialistic person and to have such strong emotions about what is essentially a piece of metal and some shiny stones which probably damage the environment and goodness what other negative impact mining for them has on the world is a little off-putting as well.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds as if you could use a ring vacation - as in a vacation from your ring. Try wearing just your wedding band for a month or two, and see how you feel about your e-ring after that.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with VRB - put it in a safe deposit box at a bank so you aren't able to play with it every spare moment like you would at home, and just wear your wedding band.

If after the end of 2-3 months you have stopped thinking about it and/or don't miss it, I would sell it on or get the sapphire (which it appears you are definitely attached to) re-made into a pendant so it can still be close to you but without the 'guilt' of a new ring not being your original ring.

At a later date, perhaps you could have a new ring entirely, to celebrate an anniversary, perhaps - to which you could attach only happy memories.

Also, to put an alternative viewpoint to you (because I believe changing one's perspective helps reassess any given situation), I would point out that this is very definitely a 'first-world problem' - if you didn't know where your next meal was coming from or if you were going to be safe in your bed at night, what is essentially 'luxury' jewellery would be the last of your worries! :)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto, VRBeauty!

And dont add anymore pave to the shank if the ring is already making you sick from all the sparkles (what are you thinking???)

Lots of people reset their original stones/rings. Unfortunately, your reset was forced on you. I think you should concentrate on
being thrilled about finding the lost stone (how would you feel if you never found it)?

And about the other jewelers making negative comments on your stone...it's all sales tactics. Do not pay any heed to
what these people say. They are just upset that didn't make the sale. Please ignore these rude sales people/jewelers. This
happens all the time when people take in a stone they just bought...the jeweler tries to scare them into returning it and buying a
stone from them instead. Nothing new here...dont let it get to you!

Now put the ring away for a month or so. Have your DH plan a romantic dinner out and re-propose with the
new ring if you think that would help. What happened to your ring stinks...but it's time to fall in love with
the new model!

Please post some pictures...I'm sure it's beautiful and hearing what others think may help you see it in a whole new light.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
" I am very afraid I will never feel like it's my E-ring again coz the reality hits and I know it's not the original one which, despite it's poorer craftmanship from being a cast-made, because we saw it and loved it together, it was really perfect.

Just a vent, my friends will hit me on the head for having such a non-issue (to them the ring was stunning/ brilliant etc. etc.). Maybe I have just turned crazy from the whole thing (the replacement/ insurance back and forth took months!). I never saw myself as a materialistic person and to have such strong emotions about what is essentially a piece of metal and some shiny stones which probably damage the environment and goodness what other negative impact mining for them has on the world is a little off-putting as well
. "

Don't beat yourself up about what you're feeling - sometimes it takes time to process events; and losing your ring, then finding it, then dealing with the insurance and the ring re-make all occurred over a period of time. Losing your engagement ring is a sort of trauma - for many, many people, an engagement ring is not just a piece of metal and shiny stones, it is also a symbol of your commitment to each other. Because you saw it and loved it together, the original ring was infused with extra symbolism. The replacement ring did not turn out identical to the original, and you're okay with that because aesthetically it works with the new ring... but you also are noticing the remake is different from the original ring you both chose so you feel sad and upset it is not the ring you both chose. The insurance process and dealing with different vendors took its toll on you - we all know how difficult that can be, and having people (especially so-called professional jewelers) say unkind things about your stone/ring while you are still mourning the loss of your original ring just compounds the situation.

Still, maybe it is possible for you to assign different meanings to what transpired? You lost your ring, but then you FOUND it; it actually was covered by some insurance (more proof you both had taken the proper steps to protect the ring); despite a rocky journey, you persevered to find a competent jeweler able to put remake your ring to be stronger and just a little bit different from the original -- honestly, the remade engagement ring is even more symbolic of your commitment to each other, a 3D testament that you will do what is necessary to prevail through challenging situations - now all you have to do is to remember to take pleasure in the good things that happen too .. like a remade ring with a few less diamonds that you find even more beautiful (which does not take away from the beauty of the original ring, it only reminds us of the resiliency of the human spirit to find joy where it can).

I also agree with the other posters to perhaps put away your ring for a week - do not even peek at it - then perhaps one night when you both are going out to dinner, you'll slip it on and wonder at it all through your meal, happy it is on your finger, sure in the knowledge you two are committed to each other and well-equipped to face whatever life will offer.

Caramelfreak

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your replies. I feel much better. Still feeling bad about the ring, and guilty that I feel bad about it, and silly I even want to talk about it.

I cried over the phone to my husband and he laughed at the part where I said the diamonds triggered a migraine (I was already having aura and overtired... so anything bright like the computer screen (typing with sunglasses on now) and diamonds, I guess, will set it off)- that it is a first world problem and that I should do what people advise- not bother with the ring anymore.

I kept it away in a box, won't wear it for a while, at least until the nausea pass.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
If you really want to know what you have, in terms of the sapphire, send it to AGL labs, they are the premier testing lab and will tell you.

http://aglgemlab.com

And ignore the other jewelers, it's an old ploy we see in the Colored Stones thead all the time: some jeweler trashing your stone to try to sell you another. 99% of the time it's BS, because they can tell NOTHING, even with a microscope.

Maybe testing will set your mind at ease.

And resetting, into something you love, is common. If you post a pic in CS, we will be happy to help with setting suggestions over there.

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Caramelfreak|1440774244|3920339 said:
Thanks for your replies. I feel much better. Still feeling bad about the ring, and guilty that I feel bad about it, and silly I even want to talk about it.

I cried over the phone to my husband and he laughed at the part where I said the diamonds triggered a migraine (I was already having aura and overtired... so anything bright like the computer screen (typing with sunglasses on now) and diamonds, I guess, will set it off)- that it is a first world problem and that I should do what people advise- not bother with the ring anymore.

I kept it away in a box, won't wear it for a while, at least until the nausea pass.

Hi Caramelfreak - I completely understand what you mean. I was scrutinizing my new diamond (for a special upcoming project) in the store and the light hit it a certain way and next thing I knew the aura started and the migraine soon followed. Flickering florescent lights will also do it to me, as well as bright computer screens. Just don't stare at your ring in certain lighting. I know you're a doctor but have you had your eyes tested recently. The reason I ask is maybe there is a change in your eyesight.

I agree with what others are saying, put your ring away for a while until your emotions level out. Jewellery purchases are emotional purchases - especially engagement rings. We can try to be logical but our emotions usually win out. Don't do anything with your ring while in a heightened emotional state. Look at it in a few months with fresh eyes and a clear head. I agree with tyty333, don't add more diamonds at this point and also second the opinion the negative opinions on your ring/sapphire were unscrupulous sales tactics.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with everyone else's suggestion to put it away for a while. It sounds like you have given yourself a bit of aversion-therapy because you got the migraine around the same time you were looking at your ring. Give yourself some time and allow that feeling to pass--kind of like when you make yourself sick off of eating too much of a certain food and you need some time away to allow the aversion to pass.

I also agree wit TyTy--don't take what the jewelers say to heart. They are absolutely using those tactics to make a sale. Who knows--maybe they even like the color and quality of your stone and want you to trade it in to them so they can re-sell it??? Jewelers really can be shady (some jewelers, at least).

I'm sorry you're going through this, and I hope you get resolution soon. First world problems… :boohoo: but they are real! You are allowed to have those feelings, so don't discount them!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tuffyluvr|1440787227|3920423 said:
First world problems… :boohoo: but they are real! You are allowed to have those feelings, so don't discount them!
I just thought I'd say that I do agree with this, despite my perhaps 'insensitive' post earlier - we must be grateful for what we have compared to those less fortunate, but it doesn't always change the way that we feel in our hearts when something is wrong in our world! lol

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry you're so upset about your ring! Please try to ignore the obnoxious comments of the jewelers you spoke to, as others have said it's just a ploy to try to get you to buy something from them. Honestly, your ring sounds gorgeous and I hope in time you can get past their rude remarks and just wear and enjoy your ring. It sounds too pretty to be hidden away. I would love to see a pic, I love sapphires and double halos!

Caramelfreak

Rough_Rock
ookie- here's a picture.
it's definitely not the finest quality sapphire.
But I loved it the first time I saw it.
I do know what they mean about the extinction/ inclusions. It makes me sad but I wouldn't send the stone away for a recut at the moment.. It's silly but I feel an affinity with my stone, especially after losing it, and then finding it in the dark on a road somewhere.

I got such wrinkly fingers!

Picture taken in daylight with an iphone.
sapphirering.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Carmelfreak, your ring is beautiful! :love: I love the setting, and the color of your sapphire is really pretty! Again, please try to forget all the criticism, nobody looking at your hand is even going to notice any of those things - all they will see is a gorgeous ring. It is rare for a gemstone not to have any inclusions - in fact, inclusions are a way to know it's a genuine gemstone! These jewelers seem to have convinced you that your stone is a piece of junk or something, and it's not!

IF you find that you still have the same feelings as time goes by, well, you can always switch out the sapphire down the road (but not from one of those obnoxious jewelers) and put this one in a pendant. I know this one has sentimental value, but at the end of the day it's not really that big of a deal if you feel it's hindering your enjoyment of the ring. I personally see no need to take this step, but it's always an option for you. I just hope you can relax a little about this, there are always options for you if you can't start feeling better about your lovely ring, so for now just pop that beauty on your finger and enjoy it!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is beautiful Carmelfreak! The blue is quite stunning against the white of the side stones. Great finger coverage too!

I sure hope that you can make some new memories with it. It really is a lovely engagement ring.

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! I hope you are able to wear it again soon in happiness. It is very beautiful.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
It's beautiful! I love the color--I hope that you will learn to love it again!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring is beautiful and even better being handmade in platinum this time! The sapphire is beautiful, too! :love: :appl: You need to say goodbye to the memories of the jewelers trying to get your business by saying negative things that were not even true and the whole reset experience, too! Those are in the past and now you have a beautiful ring! That ring could work equally well as a right hand ring, of course, so you could always wear it on the right hand if for a later anniversary you get a new ring to wear on the left hand. MANY of us here no longer wear our original rings. I still have mine, but I have only worn my anniversary diamond ring since I got it.

Stop worrying!!!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Your ring is beautiful and I can see why you fell in love with your sapphire.

An engagement ring is a symbol. Look at your story in the positive light - like a relationship, you fell in love, you went through some rough patches but you searched for it and found it. You had the safety net in place (insurance) and it came out even better than before (handmade platinum). It came through all of it and is still shining at you. Like a relationship, you can scrutinize it closely for flaws and you will find them. But that is madness - do you prefer to keep thinking about how your SO never puts away the laundry or how he always smiles at you first thing in the morning?

Take off the ring, ask your SO to hold on to it and surprise you again at a special moment that is just right for both of you. Perhaps at a romantic dinner, if that is your thing, while cuddling in front of the fire or during a walk at the beach. This way, you have an automatic happy memory associated with it.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Your ring is very beautiful! I truly hope you can enjoy it again In future. Sending you dust for eventually wearing it in happiness & enjoyment! :appl:

Caramelfreak

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your encouragement!

I took the ring to a lab who can't test for BE but can test for everything else.
My sapphire came out as only having low heat treatment. Hence she assured me I should not worry at this stage about BE treatment.

That sets my mind at ease.

I'm also wearing my ring more and more, it sits perfectly with my wedding band (not made as a set but the dimensions of both rings are taken into consideration by both the jewellers making them).

Really happy now and ready to move on with life! And other gems projects. This forum is bad bad bad. I now have, I think, ruby fever. Can't afford any though.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a lovely stone and ring.
I'm glad you're feeling better about it. :clap:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results