shape
carat
color
clarity

Not Smoking!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

soulsis

Shiny_Rock
I just wanted to "brag" about my not smoking anniversary! Two months today since I quit. I smoked for 15 years at a pack a day and quit cold turkey! I am SSSOOOOOOOO proud of myself I think I will buy a little diamond "treat". I am considering a toe ring like Mara. Even the tootsies should look good:)

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
congrates!!
Whatever you do dont say hey i can handle just one even if its 9-10 months down the road.
its harder to quit the next time.

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations!

Quitting smoking was one of the hardest things I have ever done. I quit 8 years ago this coming February. I did it with lots of help (the patch and Zyban), but it was so difficult. Aside from being thouroughly repulsed by smoking now, remembering the feeling of going through withdrawl is enough of an insentive to never start again.

Go Soulsis!!!
36.gif

soulsis

Shiny_Rock
My DF stills smokes, even in the house. If he smokes next to me I make those little "I''m choking" noises. He LOVES that! He''s really proud of me too. I promised him that I would not hassle him to quit. I could never see it happening. NEVER. It''s about my choice anyway. Besides, you can''t smoke anywhere in public here. I do not miss it at all.

Question:

How long before the dreams go away? I wake up at least twice a week with dreams that I am smoking and angst from failing. Dumb stuff. I will NEVER smoke again. Why do I doubt myself in my dreams?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t relate as I have never liked smoking (the smell makes me sick too!), but kudos on the anniversary and stick with it! Your body will thank you for it later!!

I CAN however relate to wanting a toe ring, I say do it! It''d be a great reward. I adore mine.
9.gif

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/30/2005 1:11:41 PM
Author: soulsis
My DF stills smokes, even in the house. If he smokes next to me I make those little ''I''m choking'' noises. He LOVES that! He''s really proud of me too. I promised him that I would not hassle him to quit. I could never see it happening. NEVER. It''s about my choice anyway. Besides, you can''t smoke anywhere in public here. I do not miss it at all.

Question:

How long before the dreams go away? I wake up at least twice a week with dreams that I am smoking and angst from failing. Dumb stuff. I will NEVER smoke again. Why do I doubt myself in my dreams?
Wow. Quitting smoking while living with someone who smokes is extra hard.
36.gif
I know you promised you wouldn''t, but I would really encourage your DF to quit if possible. It''s so bad for him... and you. I''ve seen what cancer and emphasima (sp) does to your body -- withdrawl is a much better choice.

I don''t remember having many dreams about me smoking. I do now once in a blue moon -- but strangely I always wake up feeling like I''ve actually smoked. Not a pleasent feeling...

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
COngrats!! I quit about 1000X.. Finally.. I did it.. next month is my 3 year anniversary!! Hope you keep it up!!!! All my strength coming your way!! Good luck!

njc

Brilliant_Rock
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

DH had an aunt die from lung cancer caused by smoking... it was a difficult thing to watch... how it effected her, him, his family. Like i said, ive never been a smoker, but after watching her struggle, no way in hell... EVER.

And a little bit off subject... we went out to a bar last night that was especially smokey. Besides the usual wanting to burn my clothes and shave my head off to get rid of the smell, my mouth tasted like cigerettes. It was NASTY. I have never had that happen before at a bar...
14.gif
I wish DC/MD/VA would ban smoking.

Morticia

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations!

I used to smoke too. I am smoke free, 3 years, this month.
9.gif

I tried to quit a few times before but went back, after that one drag or cig. It's never "just this one cig/drag" for an ex smoker. If you find yourself REALLY wanting one or tempted, do yourself a favor - go get a box of nicotine patches or gum and use them. They work in hard times... Keep a box in the house, just in case!

Ask your DF not to smoke in the house. You're a couple of months in and you really need to not be near any smoke at all.

Best of luck to you! YOU CAN DO IT. The smell of cigarettes makes me sick now. I am at the point now that I can't be anywhere near them. You will be too one day.

35.gif

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
Soulsis -
CONGRATULATIONS!
That is a HUGE accomplishment - very difficult to do - and you should be very proud of yourself.
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

My Future mother in law smokes - I wish I could convince her to quit!

Now how to get the hubby to quit too?
2.gif

Like Morticia also suggests - Perhaps you could institute a new rule - NO smoking in the house?

Bravo Soulsis! Keep up the good work!

Scintillating...

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
emotion-19.gif
emotion-19.gif
emotion-19.gif

That is great news and you should definitely reward yourself! I think a toe ring would be awesome. I have two, one for each foot. Mine only have diamond ''chips'' in them, but you should definitely get something wonderful! That is a big accomplishment! Keep it up!!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
soulsis, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
Keep it up. I used to smoke too. My grandmother is 94 and is still smoking, UGHHH.
32.gif

Rockchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/30/2005 1:01:05 PM
Author:soulsis
I just wanted to ''brag'' about my not smoking anniversary! Two months today since I quit. I smoked for 15 years at a pack a day and quit cold turkey! I am SSSOOOOOOOO proud of myself I think I will buy a little diamond ''treat''. I am considering a toe ring like Mara. Even the tootsies should look good:)

Good for you!
36.gif

i quit a 1 1/2 ago and don''t even think about smoking. DH quit a few months after me, its hard when you see someone smoking and your trying not to. He started again btw, but it doesn''t do anything for me anymore. I do make him go brush his teeth after every cigarette
14.gif

what I love most about it (besides the healththing) your skin will look fabulous, i can''t believe how horrible my skin looked when i smoked...

Stick with it!!
36.gif
36.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
congratulations!

btw, i saw a movie at tiff titled THANK YOU FOR SMOKING. i hope it gets a release and everyone sees it. its bright, its funny, extremely well acted, directed, and edited....not a weak moment in it! and its the best thing i''ve seen that tells how the tobacco lobby [and some others] works....all in a fictional, nonthreatening, fun way that a documentary couldn''t do.

if nothing else, it should get a dvd release and i hope you get a copy of it. something to watch when those moments of temptation arise.....

peace, movie zombie, also an ex-smoker.......

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
36.gif
Good for you!
36.gif
I cannot imagine trying to quit and not nag you DF while living together and him still smoking! You are awsome! I vote you figure out how much smoking would have cost you in dollars these past months and spend it on something shiney!

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Good for you! You deserve a toe ring (and more!)

My hubby and I both used to smoke (in our younger and dumber years) We both quit at the same time several years ago, and it was one of the best things we ever did! I never really missed it, but he did (and still does occasionally). Funny thing is, I smoked when I still worked at the hospital! Almost everyone I worked with smoked, from the doctors and nurses to the techs and the office people. You''d think healthcare workers would be some of the last people who would have habit like that, but there was a large population of smokers among the employees in every hospital that I''ve ever worked. I think the fact that I no longer work around people who smoke makes a difference. I''m a stay-at-home mom now, and I''m just never around smokers. My husband still works in the ER, and he says that quite a lot of the doctors and nurses he works with smoke, and come back from their lunch breaks and coffee breaks smelling of cigarettes. He says once in a while, he still has a craving and he attributes that to being around other smokers.

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats!!!!!!
36.gif
I know exactly how hard it is - I smoked for 10 years ( I started at 13 and quit around 23) and finally kicked the habit when I found out I had stage 1 cervical cancer. Finding that out was all I needed to quit cold turkey and never go back again. That was 2.5 years ago and I feel so much better! Now the thought of smoking absolutely grosses me out. I''m so happy for you, you are going to look back in a few years and wonder what in the world you were thinking for smoking all those years!!! again, congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2.gif

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
congratulations!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
as a future oncologist, i am always happy when i know ppl are taking steps to prevent themselves from coming to see me!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Capitol Bill

Shiny_Rock
I just wanted to ''brag'' about my not smoking anniversary! Two months today since I quit. I smoked for 15 years at a pack a day and quit cold turkey! I am SSSOOOOOOOO proud of myself I think I will buy a little diamond ''treat''. I am considering a toe ring like Mara. Even the tootsies should look good:)
Congratulations Soulsis!
Your post struck a very personal chord with me. I have never smoked (I absolutely hate it), but (without getting into painful detail) I''ve witnessed the destructive effects of smoking and how it hurt people I''ve loved. And I understand how tortuous your smoke-free journey will be. I respect the courage you''ve shown (so far) to face your addiction and kick its butt (pun intended)!

So here''s a proposal for you -- if you make it smoke free to your one-year smokeless anniversary (July 30, 2006), I''ll send you a free platinum and diamond toe ring. If you''re up for the challenge, email me and we can work out the details, sizing, etc.
Best of luck!
Bill Scherlag

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Wow!!! Nice offer Bill!

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/1/2005 12:19:59 AM
Author: Capitol Bill

Congratulations Soulsis!
Your post struck a very personal chord with me. I have never smoked (I absolutely hate it), but (without getting into painful detail) I''ve witnessed the destructive effects of smoking and how it hurt people I''ve loved. And I understand how tortuous your smoke-free journey will be. I respect the courage you''ve shown (so far) to face your addiction and kick its butt (pun intended)!

So here''s a proposal for you -- if you make it smoke free to your one-year smokeless anniversary (July 30, 2006), I''ll send you a free platinum and diamond toe ring. If you''re up for the challenge, email me and we can work out the details, sizing, etc.
Best of luck!
Bill Scherlag

36.gif
Oh wow!!!
36.gif
What a fabulous offer! Now THERE''S an incentive to make it a year!!!! And once you get to a year, it will be that much easier to know that you''ve quit for good.

As a med student, I''ve learned about and seen the ugly things that smoking does to you...it''s so bad in so many ways. I wish you THE BEST and I can''t wait until we see "foot pics" with that toe ring on them!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
You Go Girl! Not only want to mention how much better your skin will look, how much better you will feel, how much better you will age (no craggaly lines on your mouth), how much better you will smell, etc. etc, etc......................................................................

.......and how much better your pocket book will be!!!! - Go spend that money in the jewelry industry!!!

LadyluvsLuxury

Brilliant_Rock
Soulsis, that is awesome!!! It will be difficult I''m sure but soooo worthwhile to know that you''ve triumphed!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results