shape
carat
color
clarity

Northface~Suggestions Needed Please

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock
Hello PSers! :wavey:

My birthday is coming up and my awesome husband said to pick one out up to $200 or so. Can you lovely PSers give me suggestions on what to get? I'm not sure if I should get a jacket, fleece, combo, etc and hope you can help me in my quest for my birthday present. :D

TIA
:)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, DiamondsOnly. I was a buyer for an outdoor store up until recently and have seen the entire TNF Fall 2013 line. I'm glad to help you.

I see your budget is $200, if that is non-negotiable I will try to keep my suggestions limited to that price point or under. If you have a little more to work with let me know. Do you live in a very cold climate or more moderate one? Do you plan to wear the jacket as just an everyday piece, or do you do any winter activities like skiing, snowboarding, hiking? Would you like to have something that is waterproof? When it comes to insulation do you prefer down or synthetic? The big difference between the two is that down is warmer than synthetic, but if down gets wet it doesn't keep its insulation properties and instead becomes a detriment. If synthetic insulation gets wet, it will still be warm. So if you live in a rainy place or plan to wear this jacket doing anything snow-related you'll want to factor that in.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll go ahead with a few suggestions.

TNF's newest insulation technology is called Thermoball. It's a synthetic that is as close to down as anyone's gotten so far. This is a lighter weight jacket that is not waterproof, but will be water-resistant due to an application of DWR (durable water repellant) spray. $199
http://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?partNumber=A7ZL&storeId=207&langId=-1&catalogId=10201&variationId=H0E&variationName=AZALEA%20PINK

It's a great casual jacket and the insulation is equivalent to a 600-fill down. That's pretty warm. My only aversion to this particular jacket is that they're really shiny. Otherwise, it's a nice superlight piece that packs down really small (you can even use it as a travel pillow.)

A really cute, stylish piece that's 550 fill down is the Aconcagua. It's a little heftier and it's between light weight and puffy, but the quilting pattern on it is really flattering and it's a little less sporty, more fun/everyday/really warm. It's also zip-in compatible, so if you decided to buy a waterproof shell (by TNF) you would have a waterproof system. $160 It's shiny, but that factor lends itself to the cute styling.
http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/womens-jackets-vests/women-39-s-aconcagua-jacket.html?from=subCat&variationId=BB8&variationName=FROSTY%20BLUE

The system in your price point is the Glacier Triclimate. It's not much more than a really thin 100 weight fleece zipped into a waterproof shell. If you live somewhere where you only need a little insulation, it's a great 3-season piece. Waterproof also means windproof, keep that in mind as you shop. $200
http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/womens-jackets-vests/women-39-s-glacier-triclimate-jacket.html?from=subCat&variationId=E6S&variationName=BRILLIANT%20BLUE%20

If you just want one piece, and you don't need serious insulation but want something that really moves with you and is more form-fitting, you can do a softshell. This Apex Elevation is probably my favorite. $200. It's totally windproof, and they say it's only water resistant but that's because the seams aren't taped inside. My rep has the men's model and had to wait for a train in Chicago in pouring rain for 20 minutes once, and he said the only places water came in were at the shoulder seams.
http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/womens-jackets-vests/women-39-s-apex-elevation-jacket.html?variationId=D3R&variationName=GREYSTONE%20BLUE#

Ok, peruse these and my questions and we can discuss more in depth.

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock
I live in Chicago. I would like to wear the jacket year round, if I can, but want it warm enough for our winters. I do not do winter activities. I’m flexible when it comes to the insulation, but have always loved down. The winter coat I have now is from when I was pregnant and is too large. I will check out your suggestions thank you. :}

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1386017124|3566220 said:
Hi, DiamondsOnly. I was a buyer for an outdoor store up until recently and have seen the entire TNF Fall 2013 line. I'm glad to help you.

I love your suggestions, Monnie. I have a question. Are the childrens' jackets/coats the same quality as the adults? I've always loved the look of Northface, but the women's XS is too large for my small frame and shoulders.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LAJennifer|1386020591|3566259 said:
monarch64|1386017124|3566220 said:

I love your suggestions, Monnie. I have a question. Are the childrens' jackets/coats the same quality as the adults? I've always loved the look of Northface, but the women's XS is too large for my small frame and shoulders.

Yes, as far as I know, the quality and materials are the same in both kids' and adults' merchandise. Most products are manufactured in China, if that is a factor for you. I will say that TNF has a great warranty/return policy and is easy to work with if you have any problems with their apparel/equipment. TNF footwear is owned by Decker, but they also offer a great warranty/return policy. Some stores will play middle man and process a warranty/repair item for the consumer, but it's faster to deal directly with the returns/repairs department at TNF corporate.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Verdy

Shiny_Rock
Just throwing out a suggestion - Do NOT look into the Osito jackets. I got one as a Christmas gift last year from my parents, and no matter how careful I was when washing it, the coat looked terrible after. The material became matted and it began pilling EVERYWHERE! There's blue fluff balls in my car, in my room, on my clothing and other coats that I wore over it, everytime I hugged BF in it, they stuck to his coats as well and the seat belts in both our cars. They are very comfy and warm, but not worth the hassle of leaving reminders of your coat everywhere. The Denalis are great for everyday wear.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
OK, I've just bought a snow coat, which has entailed a TON of research. In the end, I decided not to go with North Face.

Basically, down coats are not waterproof, and most waterproof coats don't have down fill. You can get down coats with a waterproof outer layer but they are in the $400 range at North Face.

Until I found a Land's End coat with 600 down fill AND a waterproof outer layer for $160.00. (The coat is $229 but if you Google, Land's End has a 30% discount voucher right now.)

I've tested this coat in icy winds and the outer layer stops 'em dead. The snaps go right down to the bottom, and there is fleece around the cuffs and collar. I read every single one of the 90-odd reviews and unlike the North Face coats, not a single person said it wasn't warm enough in the depths of winter, and many reviewers were from the Midwest! I've been wearing it in temps in Boston of around 25 minus windchill and it does the job superbly - it's a really warm soft coat with a thick layer of down for $160. I know Land's End isn't trendy like North Face but you really can't beat this coat. You can't see in the picture but underneath the smooth outer, it's seriously padded.

http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-down-commuter-long-coat/id_243895

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Verdy, I agree with your assessment of the Osito fleece. Very soft, but sheds. The Denali is one of their key pieces they're known for. You see them all the time. Unfortunately, they aren't the warmest jacket, and honestly people who actually are into outdoor activities kind of smirk at them. I'm not saying that to make anyone feel bad, I'm just being candid and relating that because that item is marketed to be so awesome but as far as performance it sucks.

Fleece is not going to keep you warm in the wind. It's great for layering and it's great for a chilly day with little to no breeze if you're sitting in the sunny part of the stadium. But for a winter coat it would probably not serve as a stand alone piece.

Smith, your coat is really nice. I have found that when someone has a particular brand in mind that's what they want and will not be persuaded into or happy with anything else. Kind of like how you feel about Tiffany and some other lux brands. ;-) ETA: I'm not trying to be snarky, just drawing a comparison, I promise.

Is TNF the best outdoor brand out there? The most technical? NO. You will pay a premium to wear the logo. The company has done an amazing job with marketing over the past 20 years, so much so that they've put the outdoor industry on the map as far a mass appeal.

If you want to talk about the best quality, the latest technology, the most sustainable business practices, etc. TNF is not where it's at. HOWEVER, it is still great quality, and that's the reason they're still in business, and thriving, at that.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1386032020|3566361 said:
Verdy, I agree with your assessment of the Osito fleece. Very soft, but sheds. The Denali is one of their key pieces they're known for. You see them all the time. Unfortunately, they aren't the warmest jacket, and honestly people who actually are into outdoor activities kind of smirk at them. I'm not saying that to make anyone feel bad, I'm just being candid and relating that because that item is marketed to be so awesome but as far as performance it sucks.

Fleece is not going to keep you warm in the wind. It's great for layering and it's great for a chilly day with little to no breeze if you're sitting in the sunny part of the stadium. But for a winter coat it would probably not serve as a stand alone piece.

Smith, your coat is really nice. I have found that when someone has a particular brand in mind that's what they want and will not be persuaded into or happy with anything else. Kind of like how you feel about Tiffany and some other lux brands. ;-)

Oh, sure, I know! But I thought I'd let the OP know about it because it took a HUGE amount of research on my part before finding the ideal coat for very cold weather in that price range. You really have to learn about all the specs. So I just thought it might save her some time on the offchance that she wasn't wedded to NF, especially as some of the NF coats tend to be in the $400 range.

But if it's a Tiffany-esque situation, myself and my Land's End coat shall stand gracefully aside! :lol:

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock
Thank you this is very helpful. :). I'm open to all options...I'm sure my husband will love me if I am under budget. :)

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
NorthFace is great - I have a few fleece jackets. However, I recommend Patagonia. The Patagonia Down Sweater (that's actually the style name) is a wonderful jacket. It's warm but not at all bulky. I believe that the price point is around $225 and well worth the price.

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock
How about Columbia? I've had a fleece my MIL bought for me a few years ago, but no experience with their jackets/coats.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Patagonia is actually what I would typically recommend, unless someone has another brand they are set on in mind. I live about 4 hours south of you, DiamondsOnly (lived in the west 'burbs of Chicago for nearly 8 years), and I have two Patagonia pieces I layer together so I have a 4-season system. I am also a huge fan of base layers, the higher quality merino wool, the better. I do not like bulky or long jackets. I wear a Rainshadow waterproof jacket with a Better Sweater fleece underneath. On very cold days, I wear Icebreaker merino wool base layers.

The Patagonia Down Sweater is their ubiquitous item, and for good reason. It is virtually waterproof (although the seams are not taped inside), windproof, and very warm.

Patagonia is an awesome company. Yvon Chouinard (founder) is an amazing person, and if you ever get a chance read his book "Let My People Go Surfing." He really, truly believes in sustainability and green business practices and has gone to great lengths himself to see to it that's how his company is run, down to the smallest details.

FWIW, I do not own any TNF outerwear. I have been far more impressed and had access to better quality gear such as Patagonia and Arc'teryx. I love my TNF 100 weight fleece tops and pants for lounging in the winter, and a couple dresses and other casual pieces, but for serious cold weather gear I don't mess around because there are better quality things out there that will last 20 years, as opposed to (in most cases) 2-5 years.

ETA: Columbia is fine. I didn't carry it because there's a Dick's Sporting Goods, a Columbia outlet, and a dozen other stores that carry Columbia within 30 miles.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Monnie, thank you for your input in this thread. I moved to Chicago from Los Angeles 2 years ago and I'm always cold. So this thread is very helpful for me. I'm interested in your Ice Breaker base layers. Where can I get those, and can I wear tight jeans over them? If not, then what do you wear over the base layers? I don't do any outdoor sporting activities - I just often take the train into the city and walk around a lot.

Thanks so much!

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Verdy|1386029781|3566347 said:
Just throwing out a suggestion - Do NOT look into the Osito jackets. I got one as a Christmas gift last year from my parents, and no matter how careful I was when washing it, the coat looked terrible after. The material became matted and it began pilling EVERYWHERE! There's blue fluff balls in my car, in my room, on my clothing and other coats that I wore over it, everytime I hugged BF in it, they stuck to his coats as well and the seat belts in both our cars. They are very comfy and warm, but not worth the hassle of leaving reminders of your coat everywhere. The Denalis are great for everyday wear.

Interesting because I had a very different experience and was going to recommend the osito. I got one for my daughter and loved it so much I got one for myself. The colors are amazing and this fleece is soooo soft. Then I picked up a second for my daughter at 70% off end of season sale.

My daughter also has the Aconcagua down coat. Very flattering for down and she loves it and it looks great on her. For me though I prefer a longer coat that covers my butt but if you prefer a waist length coat I highly recommend this one.

My son had a denali but got rid of it because it attracted cat hair like crazy and our cats hair would get matted into it and not come out. But the osito does not seem to hold onto the cat hair because its a different texture than regular fleece. So if you have pets you might want to keep that in mind.

PetitiePoire

Shiny_Rock
I just bought TNF thermoball jacket and I love it! I also have a long down coat, different brand, and I love it too, but this shorter TNF is perfect for daily wear when I don't need a long coat. I hesitated between this and the fleece combo, but like you the adult sizes didn't fit. The children's L was better for the fleece, but then I fell in love with the thermoball AND I could get it in adult sizes.

It's this jacket in S (adult)and the size is PERFECT. The sleeves, the length, everything. I'm thrilled I waited and found this one instead of just opting for the child size just so I could get a North Face jacket that fit properly.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/The-North-Face-Womens-Thermoball-trade-Full-Zip-Jacket/1611970.uts?productVariantId=3468244&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03663417&rid=40&channel=GoogleBaseUSA&mr:trackingCode=92EC9EAC-751D-E311-BAAE-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=m&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=30640475951&mr:keyword&mr:match&mr:filter=57964268351&gclid=CNnByeSVlLsCFcY1Qgodow8AZg&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited to correct size and to say the description on the cabelas site is spot on.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1386035734|3566384 said:
NorthFace is great - I have a few fleece jackets. However, I recommend Patagonia. The Patagonia Down Sweater (that's actually the style name) is a wonderful jacket. It's warm but not at all bulky. I believe that the price point is around $225 and well worth the price.
Lena Dunham wrote an essay about Nora Ephron recommending this very coat to her as the perfect "on location" layer for filmmaking. (Black only please!)

I just bought a Land's End coat myself this year. So far so good: http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-plus-size-featherlight-down-coat/id_258803

It was just over $100 on sale. Most notably A TON LIGHTER than my previous down coat. Love the zipper that goes from the top & bottom. But wish there was an inside breast pocket. Great for dogwalking though. So I decided to keep it vs. ordering my other more expensive pick:

http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/product.jsp?ensembleId=45196&&categoryId=161&categoryName=DOWN-OUTERWEAR--JACKETS&pCategoryId=103&pCategoryName=OUTERWEAR-JACKETS--BLAZERS&gpCategoryId=3&gpCategoryName=WOMEN&ggpCategoryId=1&ggpCategoryName=EB&catPath=~~categoryId=161~~categoryName=DOWN-OUTERWEAR--JACKETS~~pCategoryId=103~~pCategoryName=OUTERWEAR-JACKETS--BLAZERS~~gpCategoryId=3~~gpCategoryName=WOMEN~~ggpCategoryId=1~~ggpCategoryName=EB&viewAll=n&pg=1&cmPathInfo=null

Good luck w/your choice!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Altrec.com carries NorthFace at GREAT PRICES! i highly recommend you check out their website.

onyx8

Rough_Rock
Macys friends and family starts today and you can use the code on north face, 25 percent off

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LAJenn, no problem! It's nice to be able to provide some useful info to help people stay warm! The base layers should fit like leotards, they are meant to be a next to skin layer. I wear my bottoms under leggings! I also wear them under skinny jeans. You get used to it, it's like wearing tights under jeans.

I have icebreakers, but Ibex makes really good ones as well. They come in different weights. 200 and 260 are the most popular weights. If you are doing a wilderness trip or are just really cold all the time for whatever reason you can get even heavier ones. Check out those vendor's websites and use the store locator search boxes to see who carries them by you. It's best to try them on before you buy. In Indiana state law requires that no bottoms can be returned, not sure about IL.

Another great think about wool base layers is that you don't have to wash them all the time. They are naturally antimicrobial and do not start to have an odor like polypropylene (synthetics like Capilene, Under Armour, etc.) There are clever marketing stories of mountaineers wearing them for 70,days straight with no stink. Caveat: wool will shrink, so hang them to dry after washing in cool water. Otherwise they are very durable and moisture wicking. I know runners who swear by them because the sweat literally steams right out during a run, and post run I've had people show me pictures of moisture beaded up (very finely) on the surface of them. It's amazing natural stuff, merino.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Feb03Bride|1386088919|3566739 said:
TNF is great but also consider LL Bean, and I agree with Smith about Lands End. :twirl:

I totally agree. I have a lands end down coat, and both my sons have coats from LLBean. Also, Patagonia makes some nice stuff. I find over all its pricier than northface but I like that not every teen is wearing it. I got my teenage son last year a "better sweater" on clearance from Patagonia and its sooooo nice. They make them in womens too. I tried one on and they are really flattering. Thinking of getting one when they go on sale.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
DiamondsOnly - what did you end up choosing?

I was at Macy's today, and tried on some of Monnie's suggestions. I LOVED both the Thermoball jacket and the Apex Elevation. Both worked for me in the adult XS (the sleeves were too long, but not a big deal). I have a hard time believing the thermoball jacket would be incredibly warm because it is so thin - but I want it! I think this would be a great jacket to wear well into the spring/summer. I also loved the Apex Elevation. It was very fitted and flattering and I want it too!

Anyone know when North Face has their annual sale? Will Macy's put these on sale after Christmas?

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock
My husband actually bought me the Osito. I hadn't decided on one and it was a total surprise to me. I know a couple didn't recommend it, but I'm going to give it a whirl. If I have any issues I'll be sure to contact TNF. And my In laws bought me a Columbia fleece as well so I know I won't be cold. lol

This weather lately has been sooooo cold and I'm glad I have another layer. I need to move somewhere warm. :)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just want to throw out a suggestion to check out Marmot coats since I don't see the brand mentioned anywhere in this thread. Excellent quality, far superior to TNF in my opinion. I like Patagonia as well, but Marmot is just a titch nicer, a very small titch, mind you. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results