shape
carat
color
clarity

New Zealand - LOTS of pictures!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Hey ladies and gents! I think a lot of you guys know that I went to NZ for a few weeks last month, and I've finally got the pictures sorted, sized, and uploaded so I thought I'd share some. I think when I went to Ireland last year I told you guys it was the most photogenic place I'd ever been, but NZ blew Ireland away! New Zealand is honestly the most beautiful place I've ever been and I just hope my pictures can capture that.

Unfortunately they won't be in chronological order, haha, but I'll try to group things together that make sense.

My friend J and I took 17 days and went down to NZ for the Rugby World Cup (GO THE ALL BLACKS!) and rented cars and drove around the South and North islands. It was basically the Great American Road Trip, just in New Zealand. I was a little worried, because we've both got strong personalities, are control freaks, and are generally used to getting our own way, but we actually made great travel companions. We complemented each other really well, and knew ourselves and each other well enough to know when we needed to leave each other alone. I honestly can't wait to travel with her again.

In case you're curious, this was the order of cities we visited (since they won't be in order in the pictures!): Wellington - Christchurch - Franz Josef Glacier - Queenstown - Milford Sound - Queenstown - Lake Tekapo - Taupo (Lake Tekapo - Taupo was SUCH a long day - drive from Lake Tekapo to Christchurch, fly from Christchurch to Wellington, drive from Wellington to Taupo in the middle of a downpour on pitch black roads whilst totally exhausted) - Waitomo - Auckland. We basically had to pack a month's trip into 17 days (including travel time). We watched 2 rugby games (NZ v. Canada and France v. Wales), hiked the glacier, bummed around Queenstown and bungy jumped, paraglided, and did the luge, kayaked Milford Sound, skydived, went blackwater rafting, and took a million photos (okay, I only took about 800, but I was the driver so J was the designated side of the road/in the car picture taker).

Okay, enough words! Onto the pictures...

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I lied. Image upload isnt' working. Will post once I can upload!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, you terrible tease!

. . . taptaptap . . . taptaptap . .

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Interesting...I wonder if I KNOW YOU ;-) My friend J just went with her DH to the world cup too! Same team to root for even.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Hurry, Princesss, hurry up! Some friends went to NZ & among other stuff, stayed for several days on a sheep station, could not stop raving about the beauty.

--- Laurie

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can't wait to see your pictures; you take the BEST trips and BEST pictures!!! :appl: :cheeky:

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Ugggh. Okay, guess I jumped the gun. I'll post pictures tonight, unless this magically gets fixed. I can pick the pictures from my harddrive but I can't press the "Upload" or "Submit" or whatever button it is. Grrrrrrr.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Would love to see your pics. I have traveled a lot and New Zealand is one of my favorite places. Good luck uploading!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking forward to pics! Did you get any Icebreakers baselayers when you were there??? I love those!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Monnie - no, but J got some merino stuff! Their shipping and return policy is good enough that if I ever feel like getting some I'm not too worried about just going to the website. J found that for her body type, Mac Pac was actually much better.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Go%20The%20All%20Blacks.jpg

Gotta start with the whole reason I was there! I've loved the All Blacks as long as I've loved rugby and couldn't pass up the chance to watch them at home! I was giddy pretty much from when we got to the airport until the match. Happily, my boys did not disappoint. :bigsmile:

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Wellington%20Harbour.jpg

I%20Love%20Rugby.jpg

The first city we visited was Wellington (for the match). It's such a cool city - tucked into a bay, with colourful houses that have crawled up the hills and full of fantastic food, and best of all it's absolutely crazy about rugby. We didn't stay in Wellington long, because it was time to go to the South Island and meet our tour guide.

Bruce.jpg

Allow me to introduce you to our tour guide, Bruce.

Kea.jpg

Bruce is friendly with the locals.

Arthurs%20Pass.jpg

He took us through Arthur's Pass.

Side%20of%20the%20Road.jpg

Side%20of%20the%20road%20again.jpg

And he didn't mind our terrible habit of stopping every 20 minutes to stand on the side of the road and take pictures. Sure, we were technically on a major highway, but since "major highway" was the equivalent of "Generic country road 243", we didn't think he'd mind too much.

Franz%20Josef%20Glacier.jpg

Chilling%20on%20the%20glacier.jpg

Glacier%20slide.jpg

He took us to Franz Josef Glacier, and was very understanding when we said we'd rather hike the glacier than try to drive to it... He also didn't hold my terrible outfits against me, for which I am forever grateful.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Lake%20Sunset%201.jpg

Lake.jpg

3%20rocks.jpg

Fiordland%20Natl%20Park.jpg

JJ%20and%20Lake.jpg

Milford%20Sound.jpg

Queenstown.jpg

Shotover%20River.jpg

Tekapo%20at%20Sunset.jpg

Tekapo%20Church.jpg

Towards%20Queenstown.jpg

So here is the crazy thing about NZ - I can't think of a single one of these pictures that was taken more than, say....50 meters from the road. The HIGHWAY! It is just this insanely beautiful. And when you think it can't get more beautiful, it does. Or it changes, and is a totally new kind of beautiful.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
More pictures and some explanations tomorrow - I'm wiped out!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Princesss! These pictures are AMAZING! Are you a photographer? What kind of camera do you use?

I can't wait to read and see more tomorrow!!!!

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Haven|1320293093|3053044 said:
Princesss! These pictures are AMAZING! Are you a photographer? What kind of camera do you use?

Wow! I was just going to ask the photographer question. Awesome pics!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it.
I want to go to NZ some day.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous pics, Princesss! I can't wait to see more. I'm so glad you had such a great time. :appl:

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Haven|1320293093|3053044 said:

Aww, thank you! No, I'm not a photographer, just somebody lucky enough to travel to really photogenic places! I've got a Nikon D3000 (so a super basic entry level DSLR) and I don't really know how to use it - 90% of these were just taken with the landscape setting. I splurged and got a Tamron 10-24mm lens before the trip and I'm SO glad I did. I also got a polarizing filter which really helped bring out the colours to the way I saw them - I tried a few pictures without it and they were all kind of washed out.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Princess - Your photos are awesome!! I'm sure you had an absolute blast! Sliding through the glacier ice looks SO COOL!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh wow, what an amazing place!!!! I remember BEG posting her New Zealand pics and thinking that NZ is a special place. I loved your pics! :love: Can't wait to see more!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful pictures of a beautiful country! Thanks so much for sharing your memories. It brings back wonderful ones for me.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Wow, all that countryside without PEOPLE, no strip malls, hotels, resorts & condo villages -- heavenly. What a wonderful trip it must have been! Warm enough to slide on a glacier in shorts -- that's a new one on me.

More pics, please!!

--- Laurie

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amazing photos princess!!

Oh, I miss it now ::) We were in Wellington and Auckland for eight years, I remember it being just as lovely as you describe :))

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Wow--thanks for sharing!

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results