shape
carat
color
clarity

New study about men's attention span

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is a new study out that says men have lower attention spans than woman. Men only listen to their partner for about 6 minutes. If you talk to them about sports or women their attention span is twice as long. They also said the worst time to talk to your man is if he's doing something on his phone or watch sports. Do you agree with this study? I can't believe they wasted money to do the study!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

What attention span? :lol:

cheers--Sharon

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
6 minutes is a long time to listen to someone talk. I start spacing out after maybe 2-3? I hate stories that drag on and on. Get to the point, then fill me in on how it happened. :cheeky:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Calliecake|1418772448|3802562 said:
There is a new study out that says men have lower attention spans than woman. Men only listen to their partner for about 6 minutes. If you talk to them about sports or women their attention span is twice as long. They also said the worst time to talk to your man is if he's doing something on his phone or watch sports. Do you agree with this study? I can't believe they wasted money to do the study!

yep, any woman could have told them!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Hhhmmm… My spouse wouldn't last 2 seconds in a conversation about sports, so no, I guess that I don't agree with the study. Are most men into sports? I mean, I know a lot of them are, but it seems a bit presumptious to say that a man's attention span is twice as long if you're talking about sports. Sure am glad mine is not :D

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I started to read this thread, but I just got bored so I made a sandwich.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is absurd.
I can pay attention to a cute guy way longer than 6 minutes.

But women are okay too.
We need them to make more cute guys.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1418776091|3802625 said:
This is absurd.

But women are okay too.

Are you really paying attention to him though? Or are you just staring at his dreamy eyes? What if he's cute, but really stupid?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ForteKitty|1418776924|3802632 said:
What if he's cute, but really stupid?

Oh Hells! That's even better! :lol:

See!?! We men can be pigs without being misogynist! :wink2:
We can degrade men down to slabs of meat, too.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1418776091|3802625 said:
This is absurd.

But women are okay too.

Okay Kenny, but is the cute guy talking?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I feel sorry for my wifey my attention span is about 1 min. and I am always zoning out on her when she is talking and she will ask me a question and I will be like huh?
I work on it and try not to do it but I still do.
She is a saint to put up with me.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1418787376|3802757 said:
I feel sorry for my wifey my attention span is about 1 min. and I am always zoning out on her when she is talking and she will ask me a question and I will be like huh?
I work on it and try not to do it but I still do.
She is a saint to put up with me.

At least you are honest!! :bigsmile: :wavey:

cheers--Sharon

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I must admit: when i am on the computer... i seem to tune out to whomever it is that is trying to talk to me until the shout at me.... oopsie...

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sounds like either a small study or perhaps they had an agenda when planning how to do the study.

My wife and I sit down every evening and talk for half an hour or so. We love driving places together too, since it gives us more talking together time. We know a lot of other couples who treasure their time together too.

Not buying into this study at all...

Wink

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wink|1418816628|3802882 said:
Sounds like either a small study or perhaps they had an agenda when planning how to do the study.

My wife and I sit down every evening and talk for half an hour or so. We love driving places together too, since it gives us more talking together time. We know a lot of other couples who treasure their time together too.

Wink

My experience is similar to Wink's thankfully. My dh and I talk all the time about everything and anything and we love spending our time together. He is truly my best friend in all ways. I guess this study is like many studies. It pertains to some of the population but not all or even a majority of the population. Too many variables. Way too many.

Of course like Wink my dh is very patient and very supportive and communicates well with me. I also feel fortunate that my doesn't watch sports on tv and is not a sports fanatic.

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wink|1418816628|3802882 said:

Wink

Agreed!

We've been on many long drives and can talk the whole way quite happily. The longest was about 13 hours from WA to a little town in CA in a single stretch.

That said, put a computer or a magazine or something in his hands and I think 6 minutes is about 5 minutes 45 seconds too optimistic :lol:

Of course he could say the same thing about me with anything sparkly :))

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband is actually pretty good as long as he isn't watch a sporting event. If he is watch sports I don't even bother to try to discuss any thing important. I also knew this about him long before I married him.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Calliecake|1418831959|3802955 said:
My husband is actually pretty good as long as he isn't watch a sporting event. If he is watch sports I don't even bother to try to discuss any thing important. I also knew this about him long before I married him.

Good decision. My wife and I came to this agreement long ago. No starting important discussions while the other is engrossed in their important activities. I do not interrupt her while she is weaving, nor does she interrupt me during a good BSU game. Of course, she is normally cheering on BSU right along with me...

Wink

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wink|1418832214|3802958 said:
Calliecake|1418831959|3802955 said:

Good decision. My wife and I came to this agreement long ago. No starting important discussions while the other is engrossed in their important activities. I do not interrupt her while she is weaving, nor does she interrupt me during a good BSU game. Of course, she is normally cheering on BSU right along with me...

Wink

A small price to pay for a very happy life!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I'm surprised it's six minutes. I think I've got about 30 seconds to get across to DH. And if he's doing anything else, he won't hear a word I say. I will never understand why men can't multitask.

Do you have a link to the study?

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
amc80|1418837215|3803010 said:
I'm surprised it's six minutes. I think I've got about 30 seconds to get across to DH. And if he's doing anything else, he won't hear a word I say. I will never understand why men can't multitask.

Unfortunately I do not. It was on the local 5:00 PM Chicago news last night.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Calliecake|1418837977|3803014 said:

Unfortunately I do not. It was on the local 5:00 PM Chicago news last night.

I found news stories mentioning it. I wonder who funded the study...I could have told them this for free.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade

LOL, there are a LOT of studies showing that most people who think they are multi-tasking, aren't.

They end up doing several things more poorly than if they finished one properly and went to the next task.

I know several women who tell me they are excellent multi taskers. I have fired more than one of them...

Wink

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My opinion (whether solicited or not!) is that this is all bullshit and just another article that's sensationalism and looking for page click$.

Hey, women also don't care to listen to anything that we deem unimportant because we are busy multi-tasking and really don't have an extra damn minute to bother with someone else's "whines." Really, we'd rather get back to our wine. ;)) Or, you know, ourselves, our children, our businesses, etc.

I find it so hilarious and kind of pathetic that some dude and some magazine or whatever publication somewhere wants to create this sort of crap ass content. They know it will stir up dramz and they know it will bring page views. End of story, really, and we are the suckers who read the articles and fall for these scams because we stop thinking and go "omg let's go analyze this shit" on a forum somewhere.

So as far as a man's attention span being shorter than a woman's? Perhaps a lot of men/people haven't been taught to respect and listen to another person.

Love you, Calliecake! Great topic. Thanks for posting--loved that I could add my cents. ;))

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Monnie, You never fail to crack me up! I really need to learn not to read your posts while I'm drinking coffee. Coffee up your nose is not such a good thing. Love you too!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1418881696|3803426 said:
My opinion (whether solicited or not!) is that this is all bullshit and just another article that's sensationalism and looking for page click$.

Hey, women also don't care to listen to anything that we deem unimportant because we are busy multi-tasking and really don't have an extra damn minute to bother with someone else's "whines." Really, we'd rather get back to our wine. ;)) Or, you know, ourselves, our children, our businesses, etc.

I find it so hilarious and kind of pathetic that some dude and some magazine or whatever publication somewhere wants to create this sort of crap a$$ content. They know it will stir up dramz and they know it will bring page views. End of story, really, and we are the suckers who read the articles and fall for these scams because we stop thinking and go "omg let's go analyze this shit" on a forum somewhere.

So as far as a man's attention span being shorter than a woman's? Perhaps a lot of men/people haven't been taught to respect and listen to another person.

Love you, Calliecake! Great topic. Thanks for posting--loved that I could add my cents. ;))
If you look at the articles, they actually talk about women as well. Apparently women also pay more attention when friends are talking, and like to talk about relationships (others' I believe) most. The articles I read certainly don't marginalize men quite that much :)

Though I do agree it is a bit of a stretch as far as 'news' and 'content'.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Wink|1418839201|3803033 said:

LOL, there are a LOT of studies showing that most people who think they are multi-tasking, aren't.

They end up doing several things more poorly than if they finished one properly and went to the next task.

I know several women who tell me they are excellent multi taskers. I have fired more than one of them...

Wink

I'm sure I'm not giving 100% to each thing when I multitask...but I can, say, prepare dinner while holding a conversation with my husband. Or, if I'm doing one thing and he starts talking to me, I will realize he's talking to me and stop whatever thing I'm doing. If he's doing anything and I start talking to him, he won't hear one word.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
monarch64|1418881696|3803426 said:

I find it so hilarious and kind of pathetic that some dude and some magazine or whatever publication somewhere wants to create this sort of crap a$$ content. They know it will stir up dramz and they know it will bring page views. End of story, really, and we are the suckers who read the articles and fall for these scams because we stop thinking and go "omg let's go analyze this shit" on a forum somewhere.

Ditto to Calliecake about the coffee up the nose thing and also about loving your posts. Kudos also to AMC80 for her comment just above this one.

It never occurred to me to consider talking with your husband while cooking dinner to be multitasking, but you are absolutely right, it is, and that type of multitasking I believe most people can do. Especially that part about hearing when something is important enough to stop and devote full attention to it.

As for the silly content:
Did you ever notice that all of those bogus content pages are covered in related and non related ads? All of those ads are normally affiliate ads where the creators of the bogus content get paid, and often get paid enough to hire full time staffs of writers and web page builders when someone clicks on those ads and ends up buying products they don't really need. That is what really is driving much of these types of "reports".

In fact, I would just about bet that most of you reading this see a lot of jewelry related ads when looking at these "reports" since you cookies tell the advertisers where you have been and what your interests are likely to be. I can no longer go to Facebook without seeing ads for Blue Nile or James Allen or one of my other competitors since I have been to so many jewelry sights. Google just assumes I am looking to buy. LOL!

Wink

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results