shape
carat
color
clarity

new PB bedding...need wall decor advice!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So DH is still golfing (he left Thursday with the rest of his foursome and won''t be back now until tomorrow a.m. instead of today) and I''m just hanging out at home with our doggies surfing the net for something to hang above our bed. I just ordered and received some new PB goodies for our bedroom because I was getting sick of our old decor, I got new sheets, a duvet cover, a pickstitch quilt and euro pickstitch covers, and a mckenna jewelry armoire which I''ll post pics of also. Our furniture is from Pier One circa 2003, it''s a distressed antique white, but the trim in the br is all semigloss white and we have white floor length sheers on the windows. I''m not really bothered by the mix of antique white/ivory and bright white, I can live with it, but I am having trouble finding something to hang above the bed to really tie the room together. My mom suggested some sort of wrought iron scroll-y piece or shelf...I actually chose the new bedding colors to tie in with the wedding quilt she made for us which has reds and blacks, so maybe that is a good idea. I don''t know if that would be too dark in contrast to all the other light colors in the room, though...I like the pop of the reds in the midst of all the beiges/whites and we just had a very light gold/khaki carpet put in over the existing hardwood floors (too creaky and the dogs'' nails tapping on them bothered the h*ll out of me.)

bdrm001.JPG

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The quilt I''m referring to is draped over the storage bench there at the foot of the bed. It''s made for a queen size bed and doesn''t have enough width to actually use on the king-size bed so I use it to accessorize with for now. It''s also too big to use as a wall hanging so that''s out.

bdroom002.JPG

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The new Mckenna armoire...I love it and it goes perfectly with our furniture, plus there is a ton of room inside plus two travel size removable cases. Next to that is a gourd angel my parents found for me in Appalachiacola, FL a few years ago made by a local artist, she''s standing on a piece of FL driftwood and the reds tied in well with the bedding. Did I mention I love the beach? My last "color scheme" in this room was very cool greens and blues and it looked fab for a long time until I decided I wanted to warm things up a bit with red.

jwlrbox001.JPG

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I pretty well filled it up already, but of course there is some room to spare for additional sparklies, hee hee.

jwlrbx004.JPG

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh and forgot to mention above on the second or third pic, that t.v. mounted to the wall I have told DH has got to GO! It''s the eye-sore of the room, when you open the door it''s the first thing you see. We''re planning to upgrade to a flat screen wall mounted one this fall/winter and put it on the opposite wall instead, and then move the lingerie chest (tall, narrow, 6-drawer piece) to the other side where the existing t.v. is now. I would really rather not have a t.v. in the bedroom at all, but DH insists, sometimes it''s the only way he can fall asleep at night. TG for earplugs, I say!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Monarch - I LOVE the jewelry armoire!! Definitely more room for some blingy treats
31.gif
31.gif
27.gif

In terms of decorating that wall, since you seem to have relatively diverse tastes in terms of color schemes, I was thinking something that would go with a variety of colors might be nice. Here''s an example, a print from Crate and Barrel (there are actually two - you could get both depending on wall space)

Crate and Barrel Print 1

I''m also partial to Asian-style artwork and to cherry blossoms, so if it were me and I was pretty sure I wanted to stick with that color scheme, I''d consider this:

Cherry Blossom Art

Here''s a nice bronze wall art option as well, for a different sort of look:

Bronze Wall Art

Anyway, those are just a few suggestions. I''ll keep an eye out for others. I''m also always a fan of nice black and white photography - classic and neutral.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thx AG! I really like #3...it seems to be the right size and color. Do you think something like that is too dark, though, with all the lighter colored furniture and wood trim in the room? I love the style of it, though, I''ve seen it before and wondered if it would work in this room.

I do have a white shelf that DH picked up at HomeDepot a few months ago for our DR but we never ended up hanging it there...it does match the trim in our BR and could hold a few red knick knacks, but they would have to be of a large (say 14"+ diameter) to look proportionate...

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ebree, I love the first two, in fact I love the second set of prints you posted! The roses are a little too much for me, I think, but the set of prints is gorgeous and very "beachy!" The third antiqued wrought iron piece is a great idea but i''m afraid wouldn''t provide enough contrast..I''ve looked at that piece before actually. Thanks so much for your ideas, though...keep them coming, I know when something hits me and I feel it''s right it will be "the piece de resistance" ya know?

Or should I just go with a simple shelf and matted black frames? I can''t decide...guess I''m just looking for some outside of the box ideas here, lol!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/28/2007 2:08:08 AM
Author: AmberGretchen
Ooh - if you like seaweed, or are just looking for something a little bit funky, Anthropologie has some fun stuff - like this seaweed print, for example.
well you are just too good, AG! LOL! I noticed the dimensions on those prints are 18"...the euro shams (the red ones) on our bed are the same dimensions, I think. So three of those prints across the wall above the headboard would be the length of it...would that be too cheesy? If DH likes them should we maybe just do two prints? Hmmm...you''ve given me lots of food for thought, thank you so much for your suggestions, I love them!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ebree, that jackson gate piece is 48" by 36"...I really like it but first I think I''d have to spray paint it black, and then I wonder if it wouldn''t overpower everything else? What do you think? See the post above where AG has suggested some anthropologie prints...what do you think of those?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh and I just remembered my parents gave us this original piece of a tropical fish, but I can''t remember if it has reds in it or not for our engagement gift...I will try to take a pic and post...it is about the same dimensions as the anthropologie prints but is framed in weathered beige painted wood, I think.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Monnie your bedroom is the same color scheme as ours...we have this print, double matted in white underneath and then a red velvet mat on top, in a black frame on the wall. I also love the wrought iron piece, have been thinking of getting one off ebay in a dark color to contrast the light walls for weeks now.

You have the PB bedding I want!!

Here is the Vettriano in our room:

singingbutlerjackvettriano.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FG, it is so uncanny that you have that print...when we lived in our first apt. together I used to admire that same print in the couple''s apt. across from us! Weird!

Anyway, I do love that print and the others in that series as I think there are more from the same artist? But for our bedroom style they are a little bit too "glam" if you know what I mean...the PB stuff and the furniture really lend a sense of beach/casual/country almost and while the print you have is set on the beach it evokes a feeling of lovers who''ve just been indulging in a sophisticated multi-course dinner and martinis and decided to take a stroll down the beach, ya know? The feeling I want to convey in our BR is more cozy, casual, midwestern je ne sais quois, lol! I don''t know...I love that print but somehow it''s not fitting in with what I''m envisioning? This is one of those times I wish all of us PSr''s were just great friends and lived on the same block so I could have you over and show you what I mean!
9.gif

I hate to drill holes in the wall without being really set on something, DH is not the best at patching up drywall and neither am I in case we make a mistake and change our minds on what we want to put on that wall. Fortunately it is just drywall up there and not plaster with lots of paint over it like some of our other rooms, hee hee. We''ve learned our lesson already in this house that we need to be 99% certain before we go making semi-permanent holes!

I am still mulling over the anthropolologie prints, I really like them but realized that the dimensions weren''t exactly the same as the euro shams on the bed, which makes quite a difference, and also the colors are hard to see on my laptop so there''s no telling what they will actually look like irl. Hmmm...once again I am miss indecisive, but tg for PS being such a great sounding board. I will figure it out sooner or later!

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Monarch--Cute room. I like the sea type prints too. On a cheaper option, Target has all their prints on sale this week. They''ve really improved in this category over the last year or so. I could see some black & white almost ansel adams type prints or some of the slightly abstract poppies...

A different one would be one of my favorite photographers...Larry Kanfer. His pictures have a definite "feel" to them. He captures wide open spaces very well. The prairiescape collections will have some pictures close to your hometown in southern Indiana. I normally buy the prints and get them matted & framed locally but I think he sells stuff with a framing option.

http://www.kanfer.com/galleries.htm

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks ID! I will check out Target. I looked at the photographer''s website, and wow! I can see why he''s your favorite, his work is really great! I actually liked some of the Chicago prints, my DH would probably love to have a few of those, I will keep them in mind for gift-giving occasions for him. I like the some of the ones of Lake Michigan as well, maybe one of those would work for the bedroom...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results