shape
carat
color
clarity

New (old) project !

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So, like I promised myself I have started writing my unfinished novel again. I've got a ton of material for it, which was why I stopped writing it, because I didn't know where the character was going... and well, now I do. So... if it's okay with Irina/ Leonard, I thought I'd start a thread and post for your opinions of issues that spring up.

I thought about a writing website... but I've visited those before and have never found the community that I've found here... plus you ladies have such definite opinions about everything, and I find that refreshing.

If this is not okay... just delete it and except my apologies for the trespass.

Okay, so here's my first question.

Lady (Ari is my character's name) and Gent (Chris is the love interest) are at an out of state wedding. Leaving the next day to return home. Chris goes up to Ari's hotel room to pick her up...

Does he:

A) arrive empty handed
B) have flowers even though they are leaving tommorow and she couldn't take them with her.
C) have chocolates.
D) something else (please feel free to suggest anything)

I thought about a corsage but dismissed it as corny. They have just been friends up to this point but things are headed toward romance.

Thanks everyone!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm. He's very straight forward and honest with her. Not 'charming' just for the sake of being charming, just sincere and he cares for he very much. He's usually very confident but because he knows she's VERY wary about getting involved again so he's very careful around her... always tries extra hard to make things easy and magical for her.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Ok. "magical" is a key word, IMO. So he''s kind of romantic in a sincere way?

They''ve been friends......how long and does he know her super well? I''m just thinking maybe the gift he brings her is something very specific to her, like an inside joke or a particular treat (food or otherwise) that she''s into???

Is this something he planned or like, hotel giftshop semi-last minute? SOunds like he''s pretty thoughtful, so I''m guessing more planning than the latter.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Maybe a book she''s mentioned wanting to read. (don''t shoot me for being silly. i love books) Something out of their friendship that would make her smile rather than laugh out loud. (a shared memory kind of thing)

shay

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lost the FREAKING Post.

Here are the highlights. Loved the book/ inside present ideas... which lead me to remember that he's an amateur photographer and she loves the examples of his work he has up in his apartment.

So how about he gives her a framed photo of his??? He brought it with him... (he is that thoughtful so it would work)

YOU guys are great... that's the perfect suggestion (something personal)

Okay so next question:

High society type wedding (black tie and with a band) they are going to be slow dancing... song recommendations?

I have something big bandy.. Sinatra, tony bennet, etc. in mind.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Too easy!!!

"I could write a book".....it has the line about "how to make two lovers of friends"

It can be done up-tempo, BUT could be slower/swingier too.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay... so Dream a Little Dream seems to be the only one I can think of that doesn''t remind me of Mel Gibson and Helen Hunt...

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2006 10:58:55 PM
Author: blueroses
Too easy!!!

'I could write a book'.....it has the line about 'how to make two lovers of friends'

It can be done up-tempo, BUT could be slower/swingier too.

Never heard it... got an MP3 site armed and ready though... give me a sec... Like it, great suggestion... but it was in When Hally Met Sally... which isn't a recent movie... so it's on the list.

Dream a little Dream
I Could Write a Book

ETA: It had to be you is on the same soundtrack... and I'm kinda liking it... but wondering if that's cheesy???

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2006 11:09:37 PM
Author: Gypsy
Okay... so Dream a Little Dream seems to be the only one I can think of that doesn''t remind me of Mel Gibson and Helen Hunt...

Thoughts? Suggestions?
I''m cheesy. The Way You Look Tonight.
9.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2006 11:22:22 PM
Author: FireGoddess

Date: 6/8/2006 11:09:37 PM

Thoughts? Suggestions?
I''m cheesy. The Way You Look Tonight.
9.gif

Oh I LIKED that... Definitely on the list (I''m downloading these as we speak)

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Eric Clapton''s "wonderful tonight" ?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2006 11:27:42 PM
Author: mrssalvo
Eric Clapton's 'wonderful tonight' ?

Long Blonde hair... line. FI nixed it (he's on the deciding committe).
7.gif
Character is a brunette. Ethnic, even. LOL.
6.gif

ETA:

WE HAVE A WINNER!
Loser: Dream a Little Dream
Runner Up: I Could Write a Book
Winner: The Way You Look Tonight (because it goes so well with the scene I just wrote with him seeing her all dressed up for the wedding). THANK YOU ALL!!!

Oh this is fabulous! You all are much better at this than a bunch of aspiring writers!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2006 11:40:17 PM
Author: Pricescope

Date: 6/8/2006 10:38:01 PM
Lost the FREAKING Post.
- I didn't do it! -
11.gif

You are fine Gypsy, don't worry ...till you start to sell you masterpeace [$$)]

You sound like FI... making noises about publishing. No plans for that ... it makes me too anxious to think of things like that... just writing for the sake of writing for now. So no worries Irina... I promise (OH, BLAST I forgot the freaking batteries... SORRY Irina... started writing and well... I get so absorbed). THANK YOU for letting me post here about this though....SO much.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
I love the way you look tonight and it had to be you as well.........but there both VERY often done (like frequent first-dance songs) and I was going for something a bit more obscure.....but almost ANYTHING on the WHMS soundtrack is good stuff

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/9/2006 12:10:35 AM
Author: blueroses
I love the way you look tonight and it had to be you as well.........but there both VERY often done (like frequent first-dance songs) and I was going for something a bit more obscure.....but almost ANYTHING on the WHMS soundtrack is good stuff

This is true. No arguement from me. However this is the first ENGLISH song played at this ethnic wedding... so it's kind of like a first dance... and well, while it's VERY done... it's also a lovely song. But I really liked "I could write a book"... but it was a little too intimate for this point in the book. But I am saving it for a later scene. I like music, and flowers, and well... filling my book with audio, visual, olafactory and tactile descriptions tends to make it seem... 'realer' for me... I think "I could write a book" will be for when he's ready to tell her he loves her. Seems like that kind of song. The Way You Look Tonight, while it says the words I love you, has a little distance in it... and she needs that right now. I don't know if that's making any sense.
20.gif

ETA: Couldn't do it... lol. Was a nervous wreck with the scene posted here... sorry.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just an FYI Gyp...when you revise the post after a few minutes have passed, it still shows up, aka see View Revisions: 2 and click on it under your post. You may want to have Irina delete the whole posts if you really don't want the scene/chapter out there.

Pulsing length huh?
11.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2006 11:30:48 PM

Winner: The Way You Look Tonight (because it goes so well with the scene I just wrote with him seeing her all dressed up for the wedding). THANK YOU ALL!!!

Oh this is fabulous! You all are much better at this than a bunch of aspiring writers!
YAY! That''s what I was thinking when I suggested it - being all dressed up for the wedding and y''know, really SEEing each other in that other ''light''.
1.gif
Woo hoo!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/9/2006 2:41:27 AM
Author: Mara
Just an FYI Gyp...when you revise the post after a few minutes have passed, it still shows up, aka see View Revisions: 2 and click on it under your post. You may want to have Irina delete the whole posts if you really don''t want the scene/chapter out there.

Pulsing length huh?
11.gif

*Blushing* It''s perfectly standard for the genre (said primly)

Um... Irina/ Leonard, could you delete that scene out of the revisions portion? Thank you.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Well I didn''t catch the excerpt, so you can breath easy;-)

Aaannnd....given the context of the wedding and stage of the relationship, I think your song choice is perfect!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Blueroses!! I actually wrote a LOT tonight. I did three scenes... and now I''m at a bit of a three way fork in the road with which way to take my character''s path at her job. So, I''m taking a break from it... I''m going to post a thread asking lawyers for some of thier input (she''s a lawyer...it''s a bit autobiographical in nature... which is why I don''t think I''m ever giong to try to publish it).

ANYWAY... anything new with you? (if you see this that is...).

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/8/2006 11:27:42 PM
Author: mrssalvo
Eric Clapton''s ''wonderful tonight'' ?
I got married to that...only because my in-laws forgot to bring our tape with Van Morrison''s "Into the Mystic"!

PS. It was a non-wedding kind of wedding!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Hey Miss Gypsy:) Thanks for my RHR thread bump!
9.gif

What kind of law do you practice? All of my girlfriends from college are attorneys and they have crazy stories (from anitrust to immigration to nightmarishly trashy domestic litigation stuff.) Fun for me to hear about!!

You could always publish under a pseudonym......

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Blueroses... I've been doing pharmaceutical litigation and products liability (and hating it) but I have 2 years of experience in Land use and Zoning-- but unfortunately those two years were as a legal advisor for a well regarded university's policy and planning department, so I'm neither fish (lateral hire) nor fowl (new grad) and it's going to be a battle for me. Am currently trying to get a position as a junior associate, we'll see how it goes.

As for the bump... your welcome. I love it (did you see the shoe I picked to represent it... was worried it would bother you that I did that... but thought the shoes were a good match).

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Ah. I think my reply went away.....must have been not ok w/ rules. OOPSY.

Anyway, just reiterating that I loved the shoes you chose!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m glad you liked them. Bluefly is just a bad, bad (GREAT) place.

Regarding your lawyer friends. Would you mind telling me a couple of their stories (if it isn''t too much of a pain in the neck?).

And erm. I went to law school, so I obviously know some lawyers (lol)... but well, have drifted FAR away from most of my friends from there and don''t feel comfortable contacting them (just have one close lawyer friend... and I''ve been picking her brain dry) ... so... (and let me know if this is a complete imposition and I''ll perish the thought)... I was wondering if you could ask them a question for me?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
OKAY LADIES-- Next question.

Tough love.
What are some of the funnier things your said to friends or had said to you by friends that falls into this catagory (or just a completely new zingers you come up with).

Character is wallowing in bed. Has been for a week. Because she (gasp! Does this sound familiar or what) lost her job. Been living in her PJs off takeout in a dark apartment with her cat. Hasn''t let anyone come over. Best friend has a key.

Let her rip!! THANKS!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results