shape
carat
color
clarity

never thought I''d be posting a cat question here

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
My DH's 85-year old aunt is no longer able to live alone, and we are working on getting her into a new situation, probably Assisted Living in another state near other relatives. For the past 4 years or so, she has taken in a stray cat. It's a very pretty cat, and nice enough, and aunt had the cat spayed early on, and bought food for her, also let her spend lots of time indoors, although she is still also an outdoor cat. Since we will have to sell her house, I was thinking of bringing the cat to our house. (We live about an hour away.) BUT as I am allergic to cats, and also don't want the hassle of an indoor cat, we would want to leave her outside. I could feed her etc., but wouldn't want her indoors for any length of time.

My question is, do you think this is a good idea? If not, why not? If so, do you have any tips? e.g. would the cat like a place to live, sort of like a doghouse, or do you just let her roam, even in winter, and just leave food outside? Any ways to make the transition easier on the cat?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe I''m the odd-woman out but my cats (and dogs) are members of the family and I would never think of leaving them outside all the time
38.gif
. Not even in a garage or shed. If you are unable to properly care for kitty then you should see if there are rescue organizations or no-kill shelters in your area that could take her in.

When DH and I moved it took my cats a bit of time to adjust to their new surroundings. At first we kept them in just one room with a puppy gate (so they could see out) and then slowly introduced them to the rest of the house. They are happy and well-adjusted now.

Jess

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/31/2007 3:38:43 PM
Author: DivaDiamond007
Maybe I''m the odd-woman out but my cats (and dogs) are members of the family and I would never think of leaving them outside all the time
Definitely not the odd one out IMO. I will NEVER let my cats outside, too many bad things happen to them out there.

I agree with the no-kill shelter idea.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am of the belief too that animals are family members and should be kept indoors. Unless we''re talking a feral animal, which is not the case here. I would try to find a no-kill shelter for kitty to be rehomed with a family that can keep her indoors and give her lots of cuddles.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/31/2007 3:52:30 PM
Author: FireGoddess
I am of the belief too that animals are family members and should be kept indoors. Unless we''re talking a feral animal, which is not the case here. I would try to find a no-kill shelter for kitty to be rehomed with a family that can keep her indoors and give her lots of cuddles.

I completely agree with FG. If you''re not prepared to take this cat in as your own, please place her in a no-kill shelter so she can find someone who will.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Growing up I had 3 indoor/outdoor cats. They were allowed to come and go as they pleased, but they ate at home, usually slept at home and got played with at home. They certainly loved exploring and hunting. While they were very catly cats, not really lap cats but I assure you they were loved. One got hit by a car a died, but to me that''s just a risk of having pets. Sometimes they die. One lived to fourteen and died of old age. The other is still alive and well.

My DH had cats growing up that were essentially barncats. Well, ok, they didn''t have a barn. Maybe garage cats? They were all strays that his dad fed and over time they stuck around for food and lovin''. DH''s mom is also allergic to cats, so these were strictly outdoor cats but they had access to clean food and water and a heated garage. Were they pets? No. Were they better off with free food and a warm place to sleep? Probably.

My point is, I don''t think there''s anything wrong with allowing cats to go/live outside part time.

However, in your situation if this cat has become accustomed to living with people and being provided for inspite of starting out as a stray, the best thing that you could do for it IMO is to find it another home. Converiting a stray/outdoor cat to an indoor or indoor/outdoor cat is one thing. Taking an animal that''s used to a warm house and forcing it to live outside or with limited shelter is another. Who''s to say if the cat would readjust? Is it really fair?

I believe that your heart is in the right place, the best thing to do is to find a loving home for the cat, either with someone you know well or through a no-kill shelter.

Best of luck!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m a no outdoors gal cat either. Mine are all indoors, for good reason.

But here''s some information. If you move her and let her out, you''re really setting her up for a lot of fighting, disorientation, and struggle. She''s got her territory where she is, and she''s worked out arrangements with the neighbooring cats, and she knows where to hide, what yards to avoid, and all the paths that are safe and those that aren''t.

You''d be taking her away from all of that and throwing her into a new place, that''s not human regulated to make sure she''s healthy and fight free (like indoors at a home or a shelter), and she''s going to be at risk for a lot of dangers. Cat fights = disease. Disorientation = her getting lost, not finding her way to you, wandering into a road and getting killed, and struggling to find out what she did to deserve this.

You won''t be doing her a favor. At all. Outdoor cats already have SIGNIFICANTLY reduced lifespans on average (I think it''s 1/4 to 1/3 of an indoor cats average lifespan) than indoor ones, and I''m afraid you''d just be hurrying that along.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/31/2007 4:39:48 PM
Author: Gypsy
I''m a no outdoors gal cat either. Mine are all indoors, for good reason.

But here''s some information. If you move her and let her out, you''re really setting her up for a lot of fighting, disorientation, and struggle. She''s got her territory where she is, and she''s worked out arrangements with the neighbooring cats, and she knows where to hide, what yards to avoid, and all the paths that are safe and those that aren''t.

You''d be taking her away from all of that and throwing her into a new place, that''s not human regulated to make sure she''s healthy and fight free (like indoors at a home or a shelter), and she''s going to be at risk for a lot of dangers. Cat fights = disease. Disorientation = her getting lost, not finding her way to you, wandering into a road and getting killed, and struggling to find out what she did to deserve this.

You won''t be doing her a favor. At all. Outdoor cats already have SIGNIFICANTLY reduced lifespans on average (I think it''s 1/4 to 1/3 of an indoor cats average lifespan) than indoor ones, and I''m afraid you''d just be hurrying that along.
That was very well said.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you FG. As you it is with you and many pricescopers, its a subject close to my heart. And I've looked into the subject quite a bit. I understand FULLY that moving the cat and keeping it would be done with the best of intentions. But I strongly feel that it would not be in the best interest of the cat. And I just wanted to make that clear, and explain why I felt that way.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Well it looks like I need to go to plan B!

Date: 8/31/2007 4:10:07 PM
Author: mercoledi
My point is, I don''t think there''s anything wrong with allowing cats to go/live outside part time.
Well I was glad to read your post to feel like I wasn''t totally crazy (or the aunt, who had that cat indoor/outdoor). I know lots of indoor/outdoor cats who do just fine; it was just the mostly-outdoor part I was not sure of. And also the issue of moving a cat from where it''s used to in general.

Date: 8/31/2007 4:10:07 PM
Author: mercoledi
Converiting a stray/outdoor cat to an indoor or indoor/outdoor cat is one thing. Taking an animal that''s used to a warm house and forcing it to live outside or with limited shelter is another.
That''s what aunt had done essentially - converted an outdoor/stray into an indoor/outdoor cat. She still spent significant time outdoors, but was able to come in too. I was thinking of trying to mimic the kind of lifestyle she is used to to the extent possible. And was trying to think of the barn-type options you spoke of.

Well, I started typing this before Gypsy''s reply - maybe I''ll reply to hers directly. Because that was another big question.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
If you move her you''re really setting her up for a lot of fighting, disorientation, and struggle. She''s got her territory where she is, and she''s worked out arrangements with the neighbooring cats, and she knows where to hide, what yards to avoid, and all the paths that are safe and those that aren''t.

You''d be taking her away from all of that and throwing her into a new place,Disorientation = her getting lost, not finding her way to you, wandering into a road and getting killed, and struggling to find out what she did to deserve this.
This was one of my key questions besides the mostly-outdoor one. I have heard that cats kind of have their own territory type of thing, and I''ve even heard of amazing stories of cats finding their way back to a place despite a long car drive etc... Didn''t want to take her away from "her territory where she is, and she''s worked out arrangements with the neighbooring cats, and she knows where to hide, what yards to avoid, and all the paths that are safe and those that aren''t" if that was not a good thing.

So, it sounded like you are saying that you can take them away from their territory if they are in a shelter or completely indoors?

I might check with some friends/relatives first (who are able to have indoor cats), and then I can look for a shelter if that doesn''t pan out. I appreciate everyone''s feedback.

laine

Brilliant_Rock
I think this depends, in some ways, on where you live. I grew up with indoor/outdoor cats who spent most of their time outdoors. BUT, my family lives in the country with little to no road danger and the cats have access though a cat door to the garage which is a relatively safe and warm place. We do get snow in the winter and sometimes they stay out all night, though we do try to bring them in on cold nights. So, if you are not in a busy area and the cat would have access to a garage or shed, I don''t think having her as a mostly outdoor cat would be a bad thing. If there is a lot of traffic, or no garage, or you would never give her attention, or your neighborhood has lots of other animals that roam free, then yeah, I agree with the others, try to pass her on to someone else.

And I know that there is research on outdoor cats having shorter lifespans, but our cat who just died was about 15 years old, and I know a friend with an outdoor cat (the only indoors she gets is in a garbage truck garage) who is 18 years old--so being an outdoor cat is not a death sentence. Personally, it seems kind of mean to keep a cat inside all the time. I know our cats growing up loved being outdoors, and my cat now is always trying to run outside--we live on a busy street so he''s only allowed out on a leash, but as soon as I get back out in the country, I''ll let him go outside alone.

blueyes157

Shiny_Rock
Although the cat is used to being outside, I hate the idea of outdoor cats. I feel bad for the poor kitties. I have 2 cats and couldn''t bear to let them outside, way too many dangers! Cars, other animals, and unfortunately people! My neighbor has 2 dogs (yappy dogs) that were in the fenced side yard barking, I was looking out my window and 4 teenage boys threw fire works on the dogs. Luckily there were ok, but there are too many dangers out there. I think if you cannot give the cat a good home, take it to a shelter or see if a friend or neighbor would like a pet. Good luck!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
My siamese are indoor/outdoor cats, but they have a big garden to play in. They all have Pet Safe collars and are inside by 10pm and not allowed out at night.

Unless the cat is feral and you live on a farm where there are barns etc it''s a bad idea to keep a cat outdoors.

Also, if you are moving her, she is likely to try and make her way home - which is distressing for the cat and very dangerous.

I would agree with finding her a new home.

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
Comet is an indoor/outdoor cat. When we moved from Jax to Panama City a few years ago, I was worried how he''d handle it. I kept him inside for a few days....which he hated, but I wanted him to realize that this was his new home. When he first started going out, he stayed close. Then he began exploring some more. This summer, he''s stayed inside most of the time.

If you decided to keep the cat, you would need to keep him inside for a few days so he could get used to his new surroundings.

In your situation, I''d try to find it a new home.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/31/2007 5:49:54 PM
Author: old-fashioned girl

If you move her you''re really setting her up for a lot of fighting, disorientation, and struggle. She''s got her territory where she is, and she''s worked out arrangements with the neighbooring cats, and she knows where to hide, what yards to avoid, and all the paths that are safe and those that aren''t.

You''d be taking her away from all of that and throwing her into a new place,Disorientation = her getting lost, not finding her way to you, wandering into a road and getting killed, and struggling to find out what she did to deserve this.
This was one of my key questions besides the mostly-outdoor one. I have heard that cats kind of have their own territory type of thing, and I''ve even heard of amazing stories of cats finding their way back to a place despite a long car drive etc... Didn''t want to take her away from ''her territory where she is, and she''s worked out arrangements with the neighbooring cats, and she knows where to hide, what yards to avoid, and all the paths that are safe and those that aren''t'' if that was not a good thing.

So, it sounded like you are saying that you can take them away from their territory if they are in a shelter or completely indoors?

I might check with some friends/relatives first (who are able to have indoor cats), and then I can look for a shelter if that doesn''t pan out. I appreciate everyone''s feedback.

Yes, if you take them indoors to a controlled environment they are usually fine. That''s why so many shelters are filled up with rescues. They are rescued from the outdoors. You can even, though again I have personal reservations. Take a cat move it keep it completely indoors until it gets used to living with you and has formed a strong bond, then slowly regulate it''s outdoor exposure, like on a leash so or in an eclosed area, so that it starts to realize that the outdoors are different outdoors than what they are used to. And they can adjust. But it takes patience and care. And I''ve only heard people doing this because the cat desperate to get out, and clearly determined to be an indoor/outdoor cat.

I''ve also heard of people moving indoor/outdoor cats to different home of their own. But the owners were the constant there. The cat was moving with its existing family, and had that link. Most of the time, I''ve noticed that the owners are cautous and watch the cat closely when they let them out after a move. Which I think is wise. My FSIL has an indoor outdoor cat that''s 15 that they''ve moved twice with. I''m not saying it can''t be done. But the cat wasn''t swtching families at the same time. She was aware that the family was moving with her.

I think the main concern here is the combination of new owners AND new outdoors. If you move her, she may not realized her OWNER is gone... and may just think the owner is still there and try to get back to her. New owner new outdoors.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/31/2007 5:58:24 PM
Author: laine
I think this depends, in some ways, on where you live. .. So, if you are not in a busy area and the cat would have access to a garage or shed, I don't think having her as a mostly outdoor cat would be a bad thing.

And I know that there is research on outdoor cats having shorter lifespans, but our cat who just died was about 15 years old, and I know a friend with an outdoor cat (the only indoors she gets is in a garbage truck garage) who is 18 years old--so being an outdoor cat is not a death sentence. Personally, it seems kind of mean to keep a cat inside all the time. I know our cats growing up loved being outdoors, and my cat now is always trying to run outside--we live on a busy street so he's only allowed out on a leash, but as soon as I get back out in the country, I'll let him go outside alone.
Yes, I agree with this. When I lived in rural NY, there was a stray cat who my landlords let have access to a garage-type building, and she was happy as a clam, and it was so cute when I would drive home at 5:30 and she would come running to my driveway to greet me. And although I am allergic, I can be with them some, and I would sit on my front step and pet her and we were good friends. It was a great way to have a cat-friend without having them indoors full-time making me sneeze. Likewise a good friend of mine's cats - they are I/O, and love both. The dog I grew up with, who was definitely a member of the family, was also I/O - she came and went as she pleased (she actually used to knock on our door when she wanted to come in - I kid you not!), and she would have hated it to be totally indoors! And I agree with laine, it does make a difference where you live, what the cat is used to, etc...

BTW, I should probably mention based on some of the feedback, I certainly intended (should this idea have worked out) to take care of the cat and give her attention; just not allowed indoors without supervision and thus, not really living indoors. Nevertheless, I think, all things considered, I am going to try to find a better situation for her than what I was considering, as you all suggest.

{{{{{Also, if you are moving her, she is likely to try and make her way home - which is distressing for the cat and very dangerous.}}}}

Yes, again as Gypsy pointed that out, that was one of my concerns.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
If you want to and you live in a nice semi-rural or rural area, I don''t see a problem with indoor/outdoor. As with all things it is a tradeoff.

As Gypsy said, inside until she adjusts to the move. Then outside on a leash. Then allowed to explore the outside if she wants to. Let her adjust on her own timeline.

A friend of mine is currently doing this very thing with her Siamese from Morocco. She has always had indoor/outdoor cats and they all lived to ripe old ages. You run a large risk, but to her the enjoyment her cats got from being outside was worth it to her.

I personally am an indoor cat person just because I have never had an outdoor cat or lived in an area where I would feel comfortable with it. If I ever adopt a barn cat and live in a farm-like area, I would be fine with it.

It sounds like you might not be able to do the above with your allergies though. You could keep kitty in 1 room and have DH vacuum it regularly until you are able to find her a foster home? Someone would have to play with and interact with her though, and it couldn''t be a long-term arrangement.

ulualoha

Shiny_Rock
I agree with Poshpepper and DiamondDiva....being outside is dangerous even though they instinctually want to play outdoors. I have never let any of my kitties outside on my own volition...they have escaped a couple times though. Little convicts!
26.gif
Anyhow, I am allergic to kitties too..I used to be extremely allergic but I think over time I have built up a tolerance to them. You may want to give it a try and if it doesn''t work out....I agree, find a no kill animal rescue group in your area so they can find someone to love on the little one. You are awesome for considering caring for the kitty....thanks for being such a kind soul!

Hugs,
ulualoha

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
My cats love being outside, after losing 2 on the road about 22 years ago, I discovered Pet Safe. It''s not cheap, but it works pretty well and we''ve not had a problem since.

They so love going out I''d feel mean if I didn''t let them.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results