shape
carat
color
clarity

Neil Lane for Kays!

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I saw a couple of weeks ago that Neil Lane is now designing a line for Kay Jewlers! I just left their site and there are some beautiful vintagy designs, all marked with the signature Neil Lane, not "Neil Lane for Kay Jewelers" or anything like that. I am VERY turned off that his designed will feature I1 stones! I know that's the Mall Jeweler Special, but why put your name on something that may not even by eye clean! Is he THAT desperate for money? I also noticed a "Jennifer Hudson-like" ring (albeit much smaller). I think if I were her I might be slightly annoyed. Having someone knock off your ring is ONE thing, but having your designer go cheap is a whole other ballgame to me!

Here's a link to the site: http://www.kay.com/lwp/wcm/connect/Kay/ ... ne+Bridal/

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I saw this in a magazine. Sign of the times I guess.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's kind of like Tacori for QVC (only that line is sterling silver). But I agree, it's a sign of the times. Even the best are having a hard time making their sales figures. They have to branch out into avenues they would never have used before to attract more business.

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
Lots of designers/brands are heading into more accessible and mainstream marketing. Tacori, Ritani, Jean Dousset just to name a few.

I don't really understand why anyone has a problem with this. It doesn't take away from anyone's piece from a designer being less special or of less quality just because a less expensive version is offered (like an I1 diamond). Brand exclusivity is not an option for many of these companies in a struggling economy. They don't have wait lists for $25,000 pendants anymore so they must branch out to cater the consumers who reflect the current state of the economy. It's open the market to everyone or go out of business.

Edited for clarity

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This has gone on forever, it's not a new concept for a high end designer to do a line with price points that appeal to the mass market.

Branding is all about image, and I do think that the image of exclusive brands is CHANGED by the offering of lower priced lines. It isn't EXCLUSIVE to the wealthy any longer--it is obtainable by the masses.

If Louis Vuitton and Hermes started selling their wares at J.C. Penney's, and I happened to be fortunate enough to own an LV or a Birkin, etc., I for one would not be very pleased.

Neil Lane for Kay's doesn't really bother me--I don't own or aspire to own any NL pieces.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, some of those are actually really nice! I don't fault Neil Lane for branching out. I think it does take away from the name, but I guess I don't care since I don't own or want anything by Neil Lane.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Neil Lane is getting more mainstream exposure through his appearances on THE BACHELOR and THE BACHELORETTE. I suppose he wanted to have a way to *capture* non-celeb, "regular folk" as customers & his high end line is WAY out of reach for 95% of America.

Speaking of THE BACHELORETTE -- was so thrilled that a guy FINALLY chose an ASSCHER e-ring. It was SWOON-WORTHY & I still have the show on Tivo so I can go back & oogle. That Roberto has EXCELLENT taste. :tongue: :naughty: :bigsmile:

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
decodelighted said:
Neil Lane is getting more mainstream exposure through his appearances on THE BACHELOR and THE BACHELORETTE. I suppose he wanted to have a way to *capture* non-celeb, "regular folk" as customers & his high end line is WAY out of reach for 95% of America.

Speaking of THE BACHELORETTE -- was so thrilled that a guy FINALLY chose an ASSCHER e-ring. It was SWOON-WORTHY & I still have the show on Tivo so I can go back & oogle. That Roberto has EXCELLENT taste. :tongue: :naughty: :bigsmile:
Deco, I loved his ring pick too....I kind of expected a version to be available in Neil Lane's new Kay's line to attract new customers. BTW, Roberto's not too shabby himself :naughty:

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Nashville said:
Lots of designers/brands are heading into more accessible and mainstream marketing. Tacori, Ritani, Jean Dousset just to name a few.

I don't really understand why anyone has a problem with this. It doesn't take away from anyone's piece from a designer being less special or of less quality just because a less expensive version is offered (like an I1 diamond). Brand exclusivity is not an option for many of these companies in a struggling economy. They don't have wait lists for $25,000 pendants anymore so they must branch out to cater the consumers who reflect the current state of the economy. It's open the market to everyone or go out of business.

Edited for clarity

I think it's the exclusivity factor. Imagine dreaming about, saving up for then actually owning an exclusive designer piece, only to find out the cheaper version, which is also an "authentic designer piece" is made. I would be pissed. I agree with the analogy of LV at Target (thougth Mizrahi did that too). It just cheapens the brand. I totally understand WHY, but it makes me glad I'm not into "designer" jewelry, cause I'd be PISSED!

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
Sizzle said:
Nashville said:

Edited for clarity

I think it's the exclusivity factor. Imagine dreaming about, saving up for then actually owning an exclusive designer piece, only to find out the cheaper version, which is also an "authentic designer piece" is made. I would be pissed. I agree with the analogy of LV at Target (thougth Mizrahi did that too). It just cheapens the brand. I totally understand WHY, but it makes me glad I'm not into "designer" jewelry, cause I'd be PISSED!

I hear you. I guess I'm in the "buy it if you love it" camp, but some people do buy for the status/name and that's ok too if that's their priority. These days with all the knockoffs floating about, there aren't a whole lot of labels that are unaffected.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm with Nashville. It wouldn't bother me if I owned a designer piece that came from a designer who also offered a line for the mainstream market. For me, exclusivity does not make something more desirable. If the quality and beauty are still there in the designer pieces, then I don't really care if there are mainstream pieces out there in Target, as well.

I can see being upset by a move like this if you purchase designer pieces as status symbols. But if you purchase them because they are beautiful, well, that certainly doesn't change with expansion.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I kinda have mixed feelings.

If I owned a neil lane piece, and the exact design was replicated for kays, but in a cheaper metal, cast, and with lower grade pave, i'd be angry.

To be honest though, I see it a little like buying Tiffany silver- in that It's affordable to the masses, but that doesn't cheapen the name for me.

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
Having been on Pricescope for awhile I am always surprised to see that most of the
diamonds advertised in B&M stores are I1or I2. That is fine if people know what they
are getting but most of the time I don't think they do.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
I actually sat up close to the tv to watch him give it to her i thought it was so gorgeous :love: :bigsmile: and i too was so pleased he chose a step-cut!

I personally think Neil Lane's new line is a bit of a sell-out, but its not a new trend, Tiffany's really started the mass-marketing trend in jewellery. And they've done an amazing job at it, though i do think it affects their 'cache' to certain extent...

I noticed most of the pieces said SI2- I1....... Maybe that means really clean I1s? Pre-PS I have been in kays and their stones were pretty much nasty and included (huge huge huge feathers, "black specks" everywhere) .. while I won't buy one of those pieces, I am curious to see the quality... but then again, I own 4 si2 diamonds ;-)

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Like others have said, this is nothing new and really does not bother me. When purchasing a "designer" product, I purchase for quality and aesthetic, knowing a solid brand stands behind the product. For instance, I have seen handbags at target that were clearly inspired by a few Coach handbags I own. Despite this, I noticed their materials lacking and could tell they would fall apart over time. However, I would be irritated if I owned a Neil Lane piece that was copied for the line at Kay. Mind you, I would have no problems if my piece inspired a design used for the new line, but an exact replica would not be cool with me.

Overall, I like that designers are branching out to the masses. It means that their aesthetic can be enjoyed by more people now, but at the same time, they still can offer higher quality pieces (in terms of fabrics and construction) at higher prices to those who value that.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
decodelighted said:

I know Deco - I was DYING when he picked that gorgeous Asscher! It was amazing!!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results