shape
carat
color
clarity

Need management advice

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi All,

I'm doing contract work where I need two assistants to help me. It's entry level work that can be done by anyone but can be done much more quickly with minimal talking.

Basically, I've found that work productivity drops drastically when one of the helpers talks because everyone looks up and/or slows down work to hear what is being said. Also, I had made it specific that certain subjects shouldn't discussed and I've had to let one gal go b/c she simply decided that due to her ability to work fast enough, she could ignore that rule, plus she just talked TOO much that it was just annoying. The newest gal I brought in was told she'd be paid MORE if she didn't talk and we tried two days together and her and I worked alone and she didn't talk at all except for a few comments here and there. Every time I looked up at over at her, she was happy and fine being quiet while we listened to music.

Do you all see this as an acceptable job requirement? No endless chatter about whatever just because one needs to talk?

Plus, regarding topics discussed don't seem too restrictive...just no discussing personal relationship details, traumatic life events (turning working into a therapy session), or just extensive monologues where someone will spend HALF AN HOUR talking nonstop about themselves.

This may turn into a more extensive position for me so I'm wondering if I'm asking to much by stating talk little, work lots, & don't burden everyone with every detail of your life.

Anyone with management experience have advice?

Thanks.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you just establish a "talking only during breaks" rule?

I would do that, and just continue to emphasize productivity over small talk. Also when you're writing about the job environment/work description for "hiring" ads, and during your interviews, make it clear that conversation not pertaining to the actual work is discouraged, and that the environment is geared toward productivity and is very quiet. You might get better candidates if that is specified up front. Some of the best workers I've ever managed are types who just want to be left alone to do their work and not be bothered by other employees, when it comes to meeting productivity requirements.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I work for a major corporation so a little different for me. However if I tried to enforce a no-talking rule I would be taken to task by HR. You can't stop "water cooler" chatter. It helps people actually focus. It sounds like your position/ company/ buiness is different. I think you need to be careful how you word what is acceptable though to your sub-ordinates.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
^ I agree, SB. I think MC is working out of her home, though? I could be wrong. MC, can you clarify? Knowing more about the circumstances might help us give better advice.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
You have to establish break times; 15 minutes at 10 am, again at 3 pm. When someone starts to chatter, just say "We can talk about that at break time?". I think breaks are required by law.

Also, a quick "I'm concentrating" when someone starts up, is helpful.

It will be uncomfortable for a week, but they will get the rhythm of it after a while.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1387483190|3577644 said:
^ I agree, SB. I think MC is working out of her home, though? I could be wrong. MC, can you clarify? Knowing more about the circumstances might help us give better advice.

Yes, sort of...we're not working out of my home, but from informal work location, but I'm entirely in charge and there isn't an HR (just me needing help). So far, we've not had to place a hiring ad because girlfriends of friends all want to do the work OR our partner has suggested people he knows. Rather than work, they talk to me nonstop and dump all their life issues on me and I come home feeling like I've worked two jobs, playing therapist on the side, plus, I'm getting less work done. (The one who has worked the best & is quiet is one our partner suggested.)

This is basically a trial run for me learning how to manage individuals as we're currently forming a separate business with HR, specific job titles, salaries, etc., and hiring will be done by HR. I'm not sure what my job title will be there...if I'm managing people, I may loose my mind! I might just stay w/the above job and if so, I'll be adjusting a schedule to provide what is needed. Right now, with the informal, it's just grab a snack or whatever when you want. ETA - I guess the first step would be to eliminate the informal eating arrangement - that has just worked for me when I've worked by myself and people become hungry at different times. Was trying to make it easier for everyone.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1387484518|3577653 said:
You have to establish break times; 15 minutes at 10 am, again at 3 pm. When someone starts to chatter, just say "We can talk about that at break time?". I think breaks are required by law.

It will be uncomfortable for a week, but they will get the rhythm of it after a while.

You'll have to check your state labor laws regarding break times, MC, but I lander is right, you do need to provide break times according to how many hours your employees work per shift. They do help people stay on track, especially when they're doing something like data entry which can be tedious and hard to maintain focus upon.

Another way to increase accuracy and productivity is to offer incentives--you talked about paying more if talking was kept to a minimum, but you may want to shift that to "the job pays $x per hour, but if you exceed productivity goals for the day I will give you a bonus."

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1387487754|3577690 said:

You'll have to check your state labor laws regarding break times, MC, but I lander is right, you do need to provide break times according to how many hours your employees work per shift. They do help people stay on track, especially when they're doing something like data entry which can be tedious and hard to maintain focus upon.

Another way to increase accuracy and productivity is to offer incentives--you talked about paying more if talking was kept to a minimum, but you may want to shift that to "the job pays $x per hour, but if you exceed productivity goals for the day I will give you a bonus."

Okay, I'll provide schedules for now on, but should everyone take breaks together? One of the reasons I have to let the one gal go is because she asked the other gal what race she is... she later spent a hour bashing a nationality and she refused to stop.

We have paid bonuses for completing the work more quickly. That was stated from the beginning. Finishing the work one day earlier means I can save travel costs and can get back to housework.

This is literally 6 days of work per month for them. Before it was taking me 12 days a month on my own so we decided it'd be better to bring in help.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC|1387488083|3577694 said:

Okay, I'll provide schedules for now on, but should everyone take breaks together? One of the reasons I have to let the one gal go is because she asked the other gal what race she is... she later spent a hour bashing a nationality and she refused to stop.

We have paid bonuses for completing the work more quickly. That was stated from the beginning. Finishing the work one day earlier means I can save travel costs and can get back to housework.

This is literally 6 days of work per month for them. Before it was taking me 12 days a month on my own so we decided it'd be better to bring in help.

Yes, I would structure break times so that the employees have THAT time to talk to each other if need be. Providing more structure keeps everyone on a schedule and means there isn't a lot of room for confusion or dilly-dallying. You get x amount of work done the first few hours, take a break, eat, talk,bathroom, then get back to work and finish tasks. If everyone can go on break whenever they want it's harder to maintain a structured environment.

I would continue hiring whomever your partner suggests, and beyond that I would advertise on Craigslist or similar and outsource. Friends are going to take advantage of your role as a friend and use work time to discuss personal topics, and it's harder to say no to them BECAUSE they are friends/acquaintances.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1387488310|3577699 said:

Yes, I would structure break times so that the employees have THAT time to talk to each other if need be. Providing more structure keeps everyone on a schedule and means there isn't a lot of room for confusion or dilly-dallying. You get x amount of work done the first few hours, take a break, eat, talk,bathroom, then get back to work and finish tasks. If everyone can go on break whenever they want it's harder to maintain a structured environment.

I would continue hiring whomever your partner suggests, and beyond that I would advertise on Craigslist or similar and outsource. Friends are going to take advantage of your role as a friend and use work time to discuss personal topics, and it's harder to say no to them BECAUSE they are friends/acquaintances.

Okay... I had never met either of the girlfriends before. They seem to want to exchange high volumes of info/stories and it's so overwhelming and distracting.

The breaks together could fine...I'm still concerned about the dumping of personal info onto others during that. The super chatter one isn't coming back, though is expecting a position in the formal company, which is a bigger issue!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I misunderstood and thought you meant they were your girlfriends. So, just continue to stress the importance of not sharing personal info AT work. If they choose to be friendly outside of the office and want to share things with each other on their own time, that's their business. Just tell them you won't have that sort of discussion during work hours because it's unprofessional, and come up with a very clear written plan stating your expectations and whatever repercussions if the issue becomes a problem.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1387490227|3577719 said:
Ok, I misunderstood and thought you meant they were your girlfriends. So, just continue to stress the importance of not sharing personal info AT work. If they choose to be friendly outside of the office and want to share things with each other on their own time, that's their business. Just tell them you won't have that sort of discussion during work hours because it's unprofessional, and come up with a very clear written plan stating your expectations and whatever repercussions if the issue becomes a problem.

Yeah, I had worked by myself for a long time but had just a small amount of work. The amount increased substantially when we started a separate business w/a partner. My husband's friends have unemployed girlfriends who all want to help. I kept saying no, but finally caved because they kept asking. I wouldn't hire my own friends because it's really hard being stuck with a person for 8 hours, plus the commute together. (And, that is why saying less is better...all the talking is draining! Ugh!)

Thanks for the advice.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
MC, I'm curious about what type of work this is. You mentioned data entry, but in what field? You can ignore the question -- but I'm wondering about the "no talking" rule. Why? I know you said that one of your helpers talked too much in an unprofessional way. I'm just thinking that working 8 hours a day, talking only at set break times, would be difficult to follow. Maybe I'm not understanding the nature of the work or something...

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC|1387491235|3577727 said:
monarch64|1387490227|3577719 said:

Yeah, I had worked by myself for a long time but had just a small amount of work. The amount increased substantially when we started a separate business w/a partner. My husband's friends have unemployed girlfriends who all want to help. I kept saying no, but finally caved because they kept asking. I wouldn't hire my own friends because it's really hard being stuck with a person for 8 hours, plus the commute together. (And, that is why saying less is better...all the talking is draining! Ugh!)

Thanks for the advice.

You're welcome! And it's great that you have increased your business, good "problem" to have, right?! Congrats on the new venture.

I'm like you and would rather focus on work and keep talky-talk just for the sake of talking to a minimum when I'm trying to focus on getting things done. I also do not need to know about my co-workers' personal lives (I mean, a little is ok but it's hard to draw a line between the basics and oversharing) because it just adds stress to my day when I'm hearing static from them. I've worked with a few temps who just COULD NOT keep their personal business to themselves at work and it made things difficult for all the other employees. Needless to say, the temps were never hired and in some cases asked not to come back. It's work, not a party where you get paid.

Sounds like you just need to set really clear boundaries, and I do not think you're asking anything unreasonable. Good luck!

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC:

In your situation I'd give prospective employees a basic personality profile test.

Most people fall into 4 major personality profiles, although some systems use 8 categories.

Key is - social "party" people talk a lot - its there life. Detailed orientated (less social) people talk less and can focus for long periods of time. Off the top of my head I do not recall how the other major personalities work exactly on this issue - but the information is available.

Use the personality profiles to screen out the wrong type of person; and try to build a balance of the other types (all of 1 type working together creates friction).

Perry

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think there are a few separate questions here - what you put in the ad, what you tell them in the interview, and how you enforce your policies once you've hired someone.

I worked in a civil service environment which might be a bit different, but... there's no way I could have put "silent type preferred" as a required skill/personal characteristic. :wink2: However, you can describe the work environment - i.e., indicate that the applicant would be working in a highly focused work environment.

In the introductory part of your interview you could explain that you expect minimal discussions during work hours to be focused on the job at hand, with personal talk and phone calls to be reserved, as much as possible, for break times.

One question that I've found very handy in interviews is, "If (when) I call (insert the name of a prior employer here), what would she tell me about your personal work habits (or use of office time, etc.)?" If possible don't use their current employer for this question but a prior name from their resume, on the off chance that they know the current boss might say in the hopes of getting rid of them! (This is a very versatile type of question BTW - I wish I could give credit the original source, but alas I no longer have that information.)

If you signal your intentions in your ad, and make them clear in the interview, it will be much easier to enforce your policy on the job.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock

I don't think you will find many takers for six days a month if you tell them they can not talk or what they can talk about. I just do not think they will put up with that restrictive of an environment for six days a month. Maybe if the pay is very good you might find some workers willing to work silently but it will be hard in my opinion. If it is that hard on you to have to deal with the talking maybe the twelve days of work for you would be better. No stress and more cash. If the twelve days is really too much for you, it might be that you will need to hire folks unknown to you, your husband and the partner. I would physically separate the workers before I got too involved in making rules about what can be talked about. If they are isolated they can not talk. Better screening and work environment could help the inappropriate topics. Since it seems to be friends girl friends a few days a month they probably don't take it seriously like you do.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
To be frank, could you just offer the extra incentives for productivity or do something along the lines of only paying for the work that's finished (i.e. if you start with $100 a day but only finish 80% of the tasks, you get $80 that day)?

The work environment you're describing sounds really inhospitable to me. I understand that the point of a job is to WORK, but in the long run, especially if you're going to be transitioning from a small scale operation to a larger, more long-term one, the morale of your employees should really be more of a focus. I work in a small, small group - there are just two of us. Every year when we have interviews about what can be improved, the complaint of each of us is that we wish we had more interaction with others outside of our little duo. Sure, I know that's not why we're there, to socialize, but human interaction makes a world of difference in the work place. To limit not only the talking but also what topics can be discussed is really difficult for me to imagine. Sure, there are obvious things, like don't discuss religion, politics, race etc. (like the guidelines on these boards!) but to say nothing about personal relationships etc. is too much in my opinion.

Good luck. I'd ease up on the reigns and try to reward the good behavior and productivity, not punish the talking.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I supervised a department where data entry was done on documents that included people's account numbers for mutual funds. Accuracy was key for this type of data entry because payments were being recorded. I must stress that accuracy and speed are the main points of the job. We allowed people to listen to music on their headphones but excessive talking was really discouraged. Was it forbidden? No. Given the nature of the job, a person couldn't be accurately inputting account numbers AND talking about their latest personal drama. It just isn't humanly possible. If a person was talking excessively, they either weren't inputting their numbers accurately (a very big problem) or their productivity was poor. The productivity would show on reports and that was an issue we could address on a weekly basis. The accuracy was actually QC'd here and there, but you could never check the thousands and thousands of documents that were input. My point is that lack of accuracy didn't always show, giving more reason for encouraging a quiet atmosphere.

Data entry does require people to be focused and quiet. Breaks are for socializing. Morale was addressed with bonuses, company paid lunches, potlucks, parties, and company benefits. To be honest, that wasn't always enough. The job can be tough.

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this the sort of data entry they could do at home or on their own? If you paid a fixed amount for X amount of work and let them work from any where they chose, it would be up to them to manage their time and get it all done by your given deadline -- and you wouldn't have to worry about them talking. If getting stuff done quick (but accurate) is important, you could offer a bonus to have it done a day early (or two days early or whatever).

Personally, I hated the enforced 15 minute breaks and 30 minute lunch and all that. I'd much rather get done with my work and be done! Okay... I'm also the sort who hates the fixed 8 hour day thing and would happily work an extra few hours if it meant getting done with something (especially if there was a bonus offered!).

You would have to screen carefully, but I think allowing people to work alone in their own homes (or library or where ever) would take care of the problem and the only people who would be successful with the arrangement are those who are able to focus on details and stick to the task.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
Has it been established that it is data entry as posters are saying? I do not think MC revealed the type work involved.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
sonnyjane|1387500660|3577811 said:
To be frank, could you just offer the extra incentives for productivity or do something along the lines of only paying for the work that's finished (i.e. if you start with $100 a day but only finish 80% of the tasks, you get $80 that day)?

The work environment you're describing sounds really inhospitable to me. I understand that the point of a job is to WORK, but in the long run, especially if you're going to be transitioning from a small scale operation to a larger, more long-term one, the morale of your employees should really be more of a focus. I work in a small, small group - there are just two of us. Every year when we have interviews about what can be improved, the complaint of each of us is that we wish we had more interaction with others outside of our little duo. Sure, I know that's not why we're there, to socialize, but human interaction makes a world of difference in the work place. To limit not only the talking but also what topics can be discussed is really difficult for me to imagine. Sure, there are obvious things, like don't discuss religion, politics, race etc. (like the guidelines on these boards!) but to say nothing about personal relationships etc. is too much in my opinion.

Good luck. I'd ease up on the reigns and try to reward the good behavior and productivity, not punish the talking.

Yeah, I do see how this could sound inhospitable to me, so that is where I'm scratching my head to think of a solution. The employees aren't doing any data entry/accounting...I do that. They are preparing items being sold which includes polishing & preparing packing, basically using sharp tools which require them to look at what they're doing. This CAN be done while talking...I just noticed that they would tend to stop and make eye contact (which I know eye contact means a lot - when a person doesn't make eye contact with me, I tend to feel something is "off," so by nature, they look at each other but stop to do so even if they keep to light conversation) but one person constantly had to bring up new topics and needed the attention, which kept the other from working at full potential.

Ugh, I don't know. Ahhh! Probably the main problem is I've only hired five so far so my experience is extremely limited. And, when I say personal relationships, I mean they said stuff I'd be too embarrassed to type here on PS. Stuff you only tell a REALLY close friend!

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
MC|1387517947|3577920 said:
Yeah, I do see how this could sound inhospitable to me, so that is where I'm scratching my head to think of a solution. The employees aren't doing any data entry/accounting...I do that. They are preparing items being sold which includes polishing & preparing packing, basically using sharp tools which require them to look at what they're doing. This CAN be done while talking...I just noticed that they would tend to stop and make eye contact (which I know eye contact means a lot - when a person doesn't make eye contact with me, I tend to feel something is "off," so by nature, they look at each other but stop to do so even if they keep to light conversation) but one person constantly had to bring up new topics and needed the attention, which kept the other from working at full potential.

Ugh, I don't know. Ahhh! Probably the main problem is I've only hired five so far so my experience is extremely limited. And, when I say personal relationships, I mean they said stuff I'd be too embarrassed to type here on PS. Stuff you only tell a REALLY close friend!

Again, can you just pay for the work that's done? I would think that if there was some type of incentive like "you get 5 cents for every item completed" etc. then they would have a desire to "shut up and work" to complete as many as possible without being forced into it. I know this isn't your intention but I just have this image of a silent sweat shop with you shouting "NO TALKING!!!!" lol! Sometimes at work we do menial tasks like opening mass shipments of individually packaged items. We have to cut each thing open and we will just both sit on the floor, put on music, and get into the groove. We talk and occasionally look up at each other but the work still gets done at a quick pace. Have you actually quantified the difference in productivity when they are talking and when they are silent? I guess I just feel like you're making it a larger problem than it might be?

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sonnyjane|1387518653|3577927 said:

Again, can you just pay for the work that's done? I would think that if there was some type of incentive like "you get 5 cents for every item completed" etc. then they would have a desire to "shut up and work" to complete as many as possible without being forced into it. I know this isn't your intention but I just have this image of a silent sweat shop with you shouting "NO TALKING!!!!" lol! Sometimes at work we do menial tasks like opening mass shipments of individually packaged items. We have to cut each thing open and we will just both sit on the floor, put on music, and get into the groove. We talk and occasionally look up at each other but the work still gets done at a quick pace. Have you actually quantified the difference in productivity when they are talking and when they are silent? I guess I just feel like you're making it a larger problem than it might be?

Ah!
Not data entry!

I've worked in places where people chatted and got stuff done but I've also worked in places where people did too much chatting so things got done about quarter speed. I can see why you would be concerned!

I think you'll probably just have to go through hiring different people until you get a good team together. There is no reason why they can't talk about whatever they want so long as they are getting the work done at a reasonable pace. Maybe something like hiring people with the understanding that there will be a 30 day (or whatever works with what you're doing) trial period at which time you or they can choose to end the employment.

The totally silent sweat shop is what I was picturing too! It sounds so very unlike you so I knew that wasn't what you're after!
I do get what you mean about sharing extra personal stuff :knockout: Not sure how to avoid that short of just trying people and seeing how they do. (the people I worked with who over-shared also tended to be the same people who couldn't focus on stuff so took forever to do anything)

nkarma

Brilliant_Rock
perry|1387495305|3577771 said:
MC:

In your situation I'd give prospective employees a basic personality profile test.

Most people fall into 4 major personality profiles, although some systems use 8 categories.

Key is - social "party" people talk a lot - its there life. Detailed orientated (less social) people talk less and can focus for long periods of time. Off the top of my head I do not recall how the other major personalities work exactly on this issue - but the information is available.

Use the personality profiles to screen out the wrong type of person; and try to build a balance of the other types (all of 1 type working together creates friction).

Perry

This. Everyone has different personalites and I think it's unfair to say that all social people are less productive.

You could go revolutionary and say you will pay them for what they get done or have set goals everyday or week that people have to meet. A lot of people would love this at work cause then you can work quickly and leave at 3pm or not and stay late.

I know people who work in situations like yours and the ones with bosses that say hey do whatever you want as long as you get your job done are happier and therefore better workers. Though these people are professionals and take a lot of pride in their work ethic. You can screen for those sort of people and pay them accordingly.

Basically, I think the no talking rule is stifling and people need breaks, you just need to screen candidates better. Tell them in as much detail as possible about the workplace and ask them to respond. Ask them point blankly about their work ethic, etc... Also ask their references about this specifically!

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1387524803|3577947 said:

Ah!
Not data entry!

I've worked in places where people chatted and got stuff done but I've also worked in places where people did too much chatting so things got done about quarter speed. I can see why you would be concerned!

OP said it is NOT data entry??? It's a physical task.

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sonnyjane|1387549846|3578037 said:

Ah!
Not data entry!

OP said it is NOT data entry??? It's a physical task.

Yep -- NOT data entry. (I just bolded the part in her comment that is quoted here)

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I think there needs to be an open understanding of how much can be completed in a day. If someone can talk and reach that goal, good for them. If they can't, then they won't make the quota and they either learn to work harder or find another job. If 50 items are reasonable, I don't think it's fair to say "oh but if you don't talk you can do 60!" Yes, it's work, but I like to think that people should have some level of enjoyment at work.

Of course this is coming from someone whose department has a Wii on a 103" tv. Not to mention the two electric razors/scooters we just got for indoor racing. But we are an extremely productive group and I think the fun is a big reason why.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

As a manager it is your job to determine how many pieces they are able to get ready within a reasonable amount of time. Then you would be able to measure each individuals production. Use a different color marker or dot to put on their finished work and you can count up the number. A previous poster used the number 50 as an example. It adds one more job for you to do but this is a way to check productivity. It seems as if you aren't looking for a reasonable amount, but want the last drop of blood from the worker. I think generally speaking talking wouldn't slow people down much, particularly after they had the hang of their job.

You seem ready to leanr in your new role. Just tell them nicely that some topics are not appropriate for the workplace. They can get together after work to talk about them.

Let them bring in headphones to listen to music.

First determine how many pieces are reasonable to get done. Be able to count everyones individual count.

Welcome to management.

Annette

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
The totally silent sweat shop is what I was picturing too! It sounds so very unlike you so I knew that wasn't what you're after!
I do get what you mean about sharing extra personal stuff :knockout: Not sure how to avoid that short of just trying people and seeing how they do. (the people I worked with who over-shared also tended to be the same people who couldn't focus on stuff so took forever to do anything)

Hahaha Yeah, it's not a sweat shop. lol! I'm not like that at all. It's funny how you all pictured that because it never crossed my mind that this is what would be envisioned. I actually tried to make it a fun environment and I tend to be too nice in RL and this I realize can result in people taking advantage of me bc they know I won't ask them to knock it off.

I had the one gal on a day and we got our goal amount done, but when I brought in the third, we still got the same amount done as two, then I had the super chatter not work a day and the other girl work instead w/out the chatter, and we too got the same full amount done...so number crunching wise, we had a day where we were paying someone to talk.

It would be a better environment if we did some talking but I actually found it exhausting trying to respond to continuous comments and it kind of irked me b/c one talked NON STOP for a half an hour while we didn't say anything because she was talking about strange stuff. Lots of monologue and I'm there when I'd rather be getting the work done so I can get home to my kids, you know?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results