shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice on staying at a gross hotel :/

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a trip coming up which is at a gross hotel.

We have no choice over the hotel and I am dreading it. So I want to make my stay there as pleasant for myself as possible so that I can sleep without being grossed out or in fear of anything. :/

One concern is bedbugs (although I know these can exist at even the fanciest hotels). And I've been looking up how to search for them, etc., so I think I have some of the general tips down (although feel free to share anything you do that may not be general knowledge or that has helped you...) One tip I read is to spray the suitcases with a pesticide before traveling but I kind of hate that idea not sure if the smell or chemicals would transfer to clothes...

For general cleanliness I am going to bring alcohol and disinfect all the surfaces. I am also considering buying super large ziploc bags and having them with us in case there are bedbugs or other critters. :/

But the other concern is possibly not wanting to sleep on the bed at all, even if there are no signs of bed bugs or anything.

I guess I can either sleep in like long pants and long sleeves, but that may be really hot and uncomfortable (not sure if the AC will be working properly, etc.)

So I was thinking something like this (which would allow me to sleep on the floor if the bed really bugs me out)

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Self-Inflating-Camp-Attached-Pillow/dp/B00BF9IYO4/ref=pd_sim_468_10?ie=UTF8&dpID=41OlElSMT6L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0SE3K3S82RRCAD0GF4KG

or this - doesn't look like it would be comfortable for the floor though...

http://www.amazon.com/Hammock-Bliss-Sleep-Sack-Sleeping/dp/B001BL0ZSE/ref=sr_1_25?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1463665325&sr=1-25&keywords=liner+bed

Heck maybe I can buy both and have them with me - if I don't unpack them before traveling they hopefully won't take up tons of space in the suitcase.

Any thoughts or ideas?

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
What makes the hotel "gross"? Why no other options?

Save your money on those air mattress things. If you're somewhere where you want to avoid the bed because of cleanliness, you REALLLLLLY wouldn't want to be on the floor!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^ right. And a sleep-sack on top of the bed won't prevent creepy-crawlies from making their way to you...

Are you able to check Yelp or other review sites to see if anyone reported claims of bedbugs at this specific hotel?

If the hotel is "just" dirty/old/ill-maintained, the steps you outlined in your OP should be adequate. But if bedbugs are there, well, maybe sleep in the bathtub? Sleep in your car or find a campsite?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I gotta know more about this "gross" hotel! Is it a lodge? A run-down chain-type place? An older building needing updates? Is it in a swamp?

Permethrin is really effective as far as repelling and killing ticks, mosquitoes, and other nasties, and although it is also used to deal with bed bugs it isn't necessarily effective against them. However, if you keep your clothing/textiles contained in large plastic ziploc-style bags, you should be able to minimize potential hitchhikers. Someone posted a thread about bed bugs recently, though I can't remember what it was called. I'll search and see if I can find it. ETA: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/bed-bugs-in-our-hotel-room.222593/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/bed-bugs-in-our-hotel-room.222593/[/URL]

I use permethrin spray (you can buy it at Walmart in the outdoor/camping department, or online--brand I use is called "Repel"--or outdoor stores, etc.) to treat clothing and bandanas. I have Ex Officio BugsAway long sleeved shirt and pants that are pre-treated that I wear all summer because mosquitoes and ticks zero in on me without it, and I hate DEET. (That stuff will eat the polish right off your fingernails and toenails! Eek!) You can spray your luggage with it (lasts 2 weeks) and you can treat bandanas with it and place those in your luggage as an extra line of defense. It doesn't have an odor. ***It's not safe for fish or cats, so don't go swimming where there are fish if your bathing suit is treated, and launder everything when you get home so your cats, if you have them, don't come in contact with it.***

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The hotel is exactly as you put it marymm...dirty/old/ill maintained.

Trip Advisor pictures show stained rugs, one review I think mentioned having seen some roaches. ETA I just went through the hotel pictures again - a couple show the corners of the beds with some bugs on them. They said they were ants though. A few people say they had bed bugs but I don't know if the reviews are credible because they sounded over the top.

Gross.

sonny - for several reasons we have to stay where everyone else in the party/group is staying.

I don't know that I was expecting to safeguard myself 100% from anything - I guess I am just looking to have as much peace of mind as possible...

monarch - I don't think it's a chain...but it is run down...I'll look into the permethrin - thanks for the warning re: fish, cats, etc.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ, I'd say if you arm yourself with some permethrin and do the plastic bag thing you're ahead of the game. Will you be spending time in the hotel besides a place to sleep/shower? And do you enjoy wine or other libations? I'd have a glass of something before bed to help you relax a bit so you can rest more easily, and if you don't drink maybe melatonin/benadryl or something prescribed by a doc.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ, I'm sorry but I would not go. Period. Sounds awful and wouldn't purposefully put myself through a stressful situation like that one especially for a supposedly pleasurable trip. Life is stressful enough that's for sure. But since you are going anyway I am sending you lots of good luck vibes and I hope it works out and you have a good trip.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch - Yeah, I see absolutely no reason why I wouldn't purchase giant ziplocks in case. I will be so glad I have them if I need them. I'd rather not have to drink so maybe I'll consider the melatonin/benadryl.

So really, huh, none of you think the encasement might at least make me feel better?

hi missy - this is something we chose to go on months ago. By the time we found out what the hotel was about we had already committed...but, it does give us an idea what future trips might be like and we will be a lot more choosy the next time. Trust me.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I had to stay at a gross hotel for work. It was just like you described- run down, not cleaned well, etc. Like there was a "ring" around the edge of the room where the vacuum didn't/couldn't reach. There were stains on the sheets. Just...yuck.

I ended up wearing sweatpants and a hooded sweatshirt to bed. Slept with the hood on, and didn't use any of the blankets. I kept shoes by the bed and never went without them in the room. Be sure to bring flip-flops.

Other than that, just try to keep in mind that, while gross, it probably isn't harmful or going to make you sick. Just a mental game more than anything.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Soo....maybe sleep in the car? Seriously if I had to sleep in a nasty hotel versus sleeping in the car, guess where I'd be?

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Ugh, I really do feel for you. :wall: I would take some Lysol, cleaners and so forth. One thing that we do is buy inexpensive shower curtain liners (you can spray them with repel or other) and we put the suitcases or things on those. We try to avoid putting anything directly on carpet/chairs or near other fabrics like curtains. :nono:

I have had to do this before. We would always have to stay where the family group chose. At some point over the years my DH & I just booked another hotel for one family event. The closest one was about 40 mins away and it was great! We took a lot of heat about being too good to stay where everyone else was, snarky comments, etc. It really upset some family members, but the upside is we rarely get bothered anymore to be forced to do what someone else wants. :D

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lie and say you can't stay there because:
IDK... your reservation got cancelled...
You have hotel points at a different hotel nearby and they are about to expire so you gotta use them or lose them.
LIE!!!!!!!!!!! Don't be laying with them buggies and possibly having them hitch a ride home with you! :errrr: :nono:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
We had to unexpectedly stay in a gross hotel years.ago. The carpet icked me out so much. And we slept fully clothed. Make sure you take slippers and maybe a cheap sheet you can just leave there. And bleach for the bathroom. And your own towels. I'd just throw my bed clothes, towels and sheet out. Take a hardside suitcase. And have everything in the suitcase in bags.

I have to say, I would not go or I would stay on a different place from the group now though. My personal health and safety trump group comfort.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean said:
Lie and say you can't stay there because:
IDK... your reservation got cancelled...
You have hotel points at a different hotel nearby and they are about to expire so you gotta use them or lose them.
LIE!!!!!!!!!!! Don't be laying with them buggies and possibly having them hitch a ride home with you! :errrr: :nono:

Ugh! This is what I'd do. [emoji15]

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
CJ2008|1463670337|4033538 said:
So really, huh, none of you think the encasement might at least make me feel better?

Just gives them an extra place to hide. They look for warm bodies, they'll find their way in whether you're using a blanket or a sleeping bag, etc.

Tip an exterminator gave me once - keep your suitcase in the bathroom. The tile isn't as hospitable a home - they usually stay in fabric. This will decrease your chances of taking them home with you.

I do agree with everyone else, whatever the reason, try to stay at a different hotel. Life's too short, and hell, I wouldn't even be bashful about saying why! Do the other people going on this trip know about the conditions and not care?

I'll admit I'm super curious what hotel this is!

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
I would try to cancel. As a landlord, I know how difficult and expensive it is to exterminate for bedbugs. We had a tenant bring them into one of our homes.
I am in Midwest and for a professional to clean up a bedbug situation in a 1000 square foot home was $2000-3000.
They have to remove all pictures from walls, remove all switch plates, get into electrical outlets,etc. It sounded much more extensive than what I've heard you have to do for head lice.
I don't know what chemicals are used to eradicate but I am sure they are not something I want in my home.
I would NEVER knowingly take a risk with bedbugs.

I would probably beg off with illness or work emergency. Anything.
Sorry to be so blunt.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1463670337|4033538 said:
monarch - Yeah, I see absolutely no reason why I wouldn't purchase giant ziplocks in case. I will be so glad I have them if I need them. I'd rather not have to drink so maybe I'll consider the melatonin/benadryl.

hi missy - this is something we chose to go on months ago. By the time we found out what the hotel was about we had already committed...but, it does give us an idea what future trips might be like and we will be a lot more choosy the next time. Trust me.

CJ, I still feel strongly about this being an unnecessary (and unpleasant) risk IMO. And I had to post one more time just to say I wish you would choose another place to stay and I would just be completely upfront with your friends. No lies or made up reasons why are necessary. I mean they are friends and if they don't understand then too bad IMO. Personal safety trumps whatever feelings they might have about you changing the hotel where you stay for this vacation.

OK I have posted twice and perhaps an unwelcome post this last one but I hope you understand why I did.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
amc80 - one time we ended up at a not so great hotel (waaaaay better than the one I'll be going to though, I'd kill for that hotel right now! haha) And I did the same as you...slept fully clothed. Made me feel better at least.

Totally a mental game. (unless there are bed bugs - or vermin etc.)

OK I'm itching just thinking about it.

arcadian we won't have a car...

rockingruby the curtain liner is a good idea.

Yes of course if you don't go along with everyone you can expect those kinds of comments which would deter a lot of people. I'm sure it was not pleasant at all to have that tension, but I'm sure it was quickly forgotten every time you opened the door to your hotel room! :bigsmile:

boerumbiddy that's what I was thinking too...but general consensus here seems to indicate that not only will it really not help, it just gives them another place to hide. So maybe not worth the $.

pinto, gypsy,missy, elizabeth35, sonnyjane

I can't lie because someone else is handling the reservation.

The thing is, this hotel is not in the US. And the area / place doesn't seem that great to begin with. So I had looked up to see if there were better hotels but they were all kind of far from everyone else so I didn't look that hard and I decided to just go with the flow. However what you have all made me realize is that I *need* to have a backup in case it really is not just a matter of run down and ugly and a mental game but that there are indeed bugs. Especially bed bugs. Because I agree 100% that if someone can't understand why I may not want to stay somewhere where there are bed bugs they are insane.

(missy your posts would never ever be unwelcome. ever. I actually appreciate that you repeated yourself because it's what prompted me to understand to have a backup plan.)

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read that someone else is handling the reservation?

This might negate my suggestion to find an AIRb&b??

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's in another country. That changes things a lot. What a dilemma. I was going to say I would stay somewhere else regardless, but now I see why that might be a problem.

simurgh

Rough_Rock
What about taking only disposable items in? Eg you store other luggage elsewhere or ship it ahead, then take in plastic bags of cheap clothes and toiletries, then toss everything but your simple leaving outfit, which you can keep in a ziplock bag sealed till the second you get out of your final shower and run for the door (or at some neutral next location like the gym of another hotel?)

Or, just to generate some options, (without any sense of your costs or finances here) book a second room elsewhere that you actually stay in?

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1463673640|4033554 said:
Soo....maybe sleep in the car? Seriously if I had to sleep in a nasty hotel versus sleeping in the car, guess where I'd be?
I thought the same thing. Can you check the area for a B&B or an Ar nb?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lambskin|1463968637|4034982 said:
Arcadian|1463673640|4033554 said:
I thought the same thing. Can you check the area for a B&B or an Ar nb?

It's in another country. They are with a group and will not have a car.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
simurgh|1463964478|4034962 said:
What about taking only disposable items in? Eg you store other luggage elsewhere or ship it ahead, then take in plastic bags of cheap clothes and toiletries, then toss everything but your simple leaving outfit, which you can keep in a ziplock bag sealed till the second you get out of your final shower and run for the door (or at some neutral next location like the gym of another hotel?)

Or, just to generate some options, (without any sense of your costs or finances here) book a second room elsewhere that you actually stay in?

I really like this idea. Take disposable items and leave them behind. Dispose of the clothes you traveled in when you get home. Taking Lysol wipes or alcohol to disinfect everything you can while you stay is a good idea. I would avoid sleeping on the floor as I think dirty carpet is more gross than a bed. I always take an extra zip lock bag for the remote control when I travel so I don't have to touch it. Maybe take some latex gloves. Some airports have admirals clubs or the like with showers so you could disinfect before you get home (I think you can buy a day pass even if you aren't traveling first class).

We had to stay in a really awful hotel once when weather cancelled the final leg of our flight and all the nicer hotels were full. I slept in my clothes, left my suitcase in the bathroom and tried not to touch anything. It wasn't pleasant at the time but we laugh about it now.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results