shape
carat
color
clarity

Necklace/Pendant assistance, please?

What should Trekkie do?

• Bezel that .57 and call it a day!

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Circle pendant with three homeless stones!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bezel three colourful homeless stones!

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • DBTY!

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Other, I'll explain below!

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Just show me the results, please!

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
I've lost my itty bitty yellow diamond pendant.

I'm absolutely devastated. It was one of the first diamond projects I undertook on my own. Bought the .21ct yellow diamond myself and then my dad gave me a little 3 pointer so I went to a jeweller and said, "make me something small and dainty and cute but fabulous!" and he did. And I went and bloody lost it. :(sad

To top it all off, it was under-insured. Well, it was adequately insured when I had it made, but then our currency tanked. And then it tanked again at the end of last year and I just didn't get around to increasing the values, so I guess I'll only get out about half of what it would cost to replace it. :(sad My dad has offered to make a contribution towards the replacement, but I think at 32 I should be able to look after my things without losing them and if I do lose them, I should be able to replace them myself. :( So I'm on a budget for this project.

So now. Replacement time. Please talk this through with me and help me decide what I really, really want. Because frankly, I don't actually know. I want all the things. All of them. But I can't afford them, so maybe talking it out with all you nice folks will help me decide what I really, really want?

Recently, I said I want a super long (56") DBTY and an interesting looking antiquey type pendant. But I've had a look on Diamondbistro and LoupeTroop and nothing screams BUY ME! Added to which, I'm in South Africa, and no one ships to South Africa, no matter how nicely I try to explain that I'm a real person, not a scammer and South Africa is actually 4000 miles away from Nigeria. So there's that. So I think I need to work with what I have.

What I have:

1. .57 J SI1 OMC - I could bezel this? Kinda like Vintagelover229's pendant, but in white gold?
It would feel really luxe (to me) to have a solitaire pendant bigger than my e-ring stone! :naughty: But I don't know if I really like solitaire pendants. I mean, I like them just fine on other people, but for myself I prefer something more interesting looking, y'know? Some detail, another stone or two, something to look at. I also don't really like milgrain (heresy, I know! But whenever I see it I get this weird itch to get some sandpaper and smooth it out. :lol: ) HAVING SAID THAT, I do have a 20 pointer bezeled solitaire pendant that I never wear. I had it made for my wedding four and a half years ago and I think I've worn it maybe for a month? In total? Maybe I'd wear a bigger one? I don't know? What do you think? Do you have one? Do you love it? What do you love about it?

2. Three 4mm rounds in white, pinky brown and light yellow. About a year ago, I was kinda sorta thinking of bezelling these bad boys in white, rose and yellow gold and putting them inside a little white gold circle pendant? Like this:
But classy and elegant. A much smaller circle, without all that detailing on the circle. Or maybe even bezel them all (hmmmm bezels, are you sensing a theme here? :razz: ) and put all three of them on a chain and have them randomly slide around so I can play with them? What do you think?

3. In addition to the four stones mentioned above, I have four other random stones I've collected over time, all currently homeless. I could do a DBTY? Maybe not the 54" of my dreams because that'll be hellishly expensive over here. I had a look at what they have in the shops over here and an 18" .22ctw STARTS at $1000, and the stones are so effing tiny you can hardly even see that it's meant to be DBTY! So maybe start with 18"? With my own stones? And add to it? But I don't know if I really am a DBTY necklace person though... :( I don't know if it's one of those things I want to want rather than want to have. Does that even make sense? I mean, I love the look. I really do. But I tend to sit and fidget with my pendants, rather than just leave them sitting there looking fabulous. And I loved running my pendant over the chain and feeling that zippy, zingy feeling. Very soothing. Cheaper than therapy. And one can't really do that with a DBTY, y'know? Or maybe if one is a proper grownup with like, style and shit, one can layer a shorter chain with pendant with a DBTY? And just fidget with the shorter necklace? I don't know? What do you think?

YOU GUYS I FEEL LOST AND I NEED HELP AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!

Take pity on me and tell me what you think I should do. Or at least tell me what you would do. Or tell me about what you don't like. Or something. Just help me talk this out so I can make sense of it in my head and maybe by the time I've come to a decision my little ray of sunshine will show up and I'll be fabulous again and I won't need a new pendant.

Anyone? Please?

circle_pendant.jpg

vintagelover229_s_omc_pendant.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
For the posting situation - I use Shipito (but there are other similar services) so I have a US shipping address. They can consolidate packages for you and then mail it to you, either through USPS or a courier service.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go for a classic designer piece, either Cartier or VCA. For me, a pendant can be less of a standard piece and more individualistic. I have a 0.59 AVR pendant but I wish I went for a VCA vintage single motif instead. I'm glad I have the AVR because at some point I would have gotten a solitaire pendant but I would have liked the VCA better. Since I only wear studs (round) and my ering (round) I feel like I've got too many round diamonds going on everywhere. I would probably choose Cartier's orchid in WG with diamonds, or the amulette in MOP, if I went for Cartier. But I am not much of a jewelry changer. Once I put it on, I tend to leave it on. Thus I would stick with a classic style.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never saw vintagelover's solitaire pendant before and I absolutely love it (although I prefer pendants with a bale). That is the first thing I have to say. Anything else is going to take pondering. That struck me like a bolt of lightning, though! I, also, have a solitaire pendant. I must have a photo of it somewhere, but I'm, not sure where-if I do at all. I'll look. This sounds like a lot of fun, although I am very sorry for the loss of the first stone, Trekkie.

Hugs,
Deb :wavey:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am only chiming in here to say that pulling your pendant back and forth on its chain creates a lot of friction on both the chain and the bail and can cause lots of unnecessary wear and weakening of both. You may want to factor that into your decision.

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Lady_Disdain - I do actually have a similar service! But I didn't think of using them, probably because by the time the pendant gets to me the return period would probably have expired already. That's of course assuming the light fingered folks at customs don't help themselves to my pendant. A couple of years ago someone sent me a beautiful dual time zone watch from the US and guess what? Everything else in the package made it, but the watch didn't. :(

LLJsmom - I WISH Cartier was in the budget. Really I do! :lol: But not yet... ;-) I also tend to put it on and leave it on. :) Removing jewellery is just so much effort, isn't it? :)

AGBF - I adore vintagelover's pendant and I'm so pleased you do too! I love that it's the bezel solitaire pendant that's so popular and classic and timeless, but without the milgrain. Really not a fan of milgrain! I think I must be the only one? :lol: I would love to see your pendant! And thank you, I'm still hoping it might turn up, as things sometimes do. :)

monarch64 - I didn't even think of that. :( It's probably why I lost my pendant, isn't it? :(

Thanks so much everyone! Please keep the thoughts coming, it is helpful! :)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trekkie, that might not be specifically why you lost your pendant, but it could have contributed, sure. I'm so sorry to hear that you lost it; I have lost or misplaced beloved pieces over the years and it is a terrible feeling. I love Vintagelover's bezeled pendant! Really beautiful and rich-looking. I like milgrain on certain pieces but lean more towards hammered finishes and bold/chunky things. I voted "other" but I really like the bezeled pendant idea.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you get to a department store or jewelry store and take some selfies in real or costume jewelery versions of the pendants you like? That way you can go home and pour over the pictures and see if you like how one style looks on you over another.

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
monarch64 - you're welcome to vote again if you like. :) You know, the more I think about it, the more I realise you're right and my fidgeting probably did contribute to it. But what do normal people fidget with when they can't fidget with their jewellery? I mean, there's only so much doodling a person can do in a boring meeting!

PintoBean - that's a great idea, maybe I should try that. I went to a couple of "nice" jewellery stores and they didn't really have the size or the quality I was looking for, with pretty much anything. Definitely going to try department stores or even one of those silver shops. Great idea, thank you!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trekkie|1467034337|4048758 said:
AGBF ... I would love to see your pendant!

I don't know how the photo is going to turn out. I had to crop it out of another photo. The stone was originally in a ring, but I felt self-conscious wearing it because it felt too big for me (at that time!). (It is over 2 carats.) So I had it made into a pendant. Now I would kill to be able to own a 3 carat solitaire diamond ring!

At any rate, I believe that my diamond is an E color VS and it is definitely a round brilliant and somewhere between 2 carats and 2.20 carats. I'd have to look up the specs. Like vintagelover's, mine is in a bezel and is set in yellow gold (18K).

Deb/AGBF :wavey:

agbfsolitaire.jpg

Q

Queenie60

I like the idea of a solitaire pendant - that's my own preference and I wear mine every day. It's simple and elegant, goes with everything. But you already have a solitaire pendant that you don't wear. This is going to take some time to think through and I am sure that once you let go of your loss (takes time) you will come up with a solution for replacement. I am sorry that you lost your pendant, not a good feeling. (((hugs)))) :wavey:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to throw out another option...what about a DBTY with the .57 as the center stone? That way it's part DBTY but
it's also part pendant.

I also like the 3 bezeled colored diamonds idea...but no running them back and forth over your chain!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry you lost your pendant. Horrible feeling. It sounds nice, too. But, are you sure it's really lost? Maybe turn the house upside down? Also, a trick I use that has really worked for me when misplacing things is to envision the last time I had it, and then think what I was doing around then. "I came in the house, and was deciding whether to take a shower or cook dinner. I decided 'shower' and took my necklace off, but then the doorbell rang...and I put it on the shelf by the door instead of my usual place!"

But if you can't remember the last time you had it, that won't work.

A place I've often found a lost piece of jewelry is deep in a purse, often in the little pockets, or in a coat pocket or jeans pocket. Occasionally the culprit is a purse that I rarely use, and then the piece stays in there for ages. Sometimes I've taken it off for a medical test, to try on clothes, to try on jewelry, and slipped it in the bag/clothing pocket, then completely forgot.

Other places are between couch cushions or anywhere around/under the couch, and anywhere around/under your bed and nightstand.

If you belong to a gym or any other kind of club, or if there's a café, restaurant, or shop you go to regularly, it may be worth calling them. Also anywhere you went the day you lost it, if you know the day. Might also be worth seeing if it dropped off in your car, or in the ground around your house.

If it doesn't turn up: It doesn't sound as if you're very excited about plain delicate jewelry like DBTY or bezels. I was going to suggest another yellow diamond from the States as they're probably cheaper, but what a pain in the butt about the shipping issues.

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Deb, that is HUUUUUUUUGE!!! :shock: :love: :love: :love: Do you still wear it? If it's reeeeeeeaaaaaally too big for you you could always send it my way! ;-)

Queenie60 - I'm starting to lean towards a solitaire pendant too. But then I think of how much fun a DBTY would be and I get stuck again. Maybe I should find out what both would cost? Maybe I can finangle something out of my husband? :devil: :cheeky:

tyty333 - Oooooh! I could do that! In my sheltered little world that would be one hell of a DBTY! :naughty: And I promise not to ever run anything over my chain ever again!! :halo:

Jambalaya - Yup, I have looked. And looked again. And looked some more. And posted "Missing! Reward Offered" posters with a picture. Still hasn't turned up. :(( I love bezels, just don't know if DBTY suits me? Also, I have a 1ct-ish DBTY made up of five formerly homeless pawnshop finds and I wasn't terribly impressed with the bezels. Quite thick and clunky. Normally I like bold, chunky jewellery, but I wanted fine, thin bezels for my bracelet and, well, that's not what I received. And trying to get them to do it over is just way too much trouble. If I do another DBTY, I'll probably just close my eyes to the cost and go to the hot Italian jeweller who charges twice as much as the other jeweller. I swear he does it purely because he knows all the bored housewives go and see him to have jewellery made up just because he's hot. :roll:

_1256.png

_37654.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honey. If you want to buy someone from LT or Ebay even, send it to me. I'll send it to you.

I have no issue playing middleman. You would pay for the shipping, and I would use Fed Ex to South Africa. But as long as you are okay with that, I'll be happy to help.

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy said:
Honey. If you want to buy someone from LT or Ebay even, send it to me. I'll send it to you.

I have no issue playing middleman. You would pay for the shipping, and I would use Fed Ex to South Africa. But as long as you are okay with that, I'll be happy to help.

Oh, Gypsy! You are far too kind! Really! I'm touched that you'd even offer! But Fed Ex no longer ships to South Africa because of theft. Their website says they do, but in practice, they don't. We tried to buy my engagement ring from BGD back in 2010 but they said they wouldn't risk sending it by courier because of theft, so if we bought from them, we'd need someone to act as our mule. And Brian is South African, so he knows! Friends who are less risk averse than I am have sent things like bracelets and charms well wrapped in envelopes as ordinary mail, but I'm too chicken. But really, thank you so much for offering! <3

As things stand now, I'm leaning towards bezelling the .57 as part of a longish 22"? 24"? DBTY (thanks tyty333!) using stones from my current DBTY bracelet. Yup, just taking it apart and having it done by the expensive (but hot) Italian jeweller so that I get the thin, dainty bezels I wanted all along.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A solitaire pendant is not an option to me unless the stone is sufficiently large not to disappear on my fat chunky neck!

If I had the 0.57ct OMC myself, I would most likely to set it in the pendant bale so that it can take different pearl drops, and it can still be worn as a solitaire if desired.

Here is an inspiration pic:

pearl_diamondpendantnt0036.jpg

DK :))

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
I Iove the look of a diamond solitaire pendant that is .75 carat to 1 carat. I wear one that is .75 carat and it has a great presence on my neck while being tasteful and not too showy. I prefer it to necklaces with multiple small stones. I also prefer the bale to be the non-stylish rabbit ears type - the pendant never flips over.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results