shape
carat
color
clarity

Name one food you could eat every single day......

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SB621|1400616746|3676990 said:
jaysonsmom|1400610419|3676906 said:
SB621|1400573566|3676597 said:
jaysonsmom|1400558895|3676531 said:
In the bible, it is written that the Hebrew people led out of slavery by Moses, ate Mana, provided by the Lord for 40 years. That is what made me think of this topic...

Anyway, some of your posts made me think of one thing I eat almost every morning for breakfast.....toast with melted cheese!

MATAZ!!!!!! heheh sorry but I love it! My husband makes the most amazing mataz pizza (with goat cheese, cherry tomatoes, asparagus, balsamic and the bitter lettuce) or we do mataz bri where you scramble it in eggs and put sugar on top. We eat mataz pretty much every week. :bigsmile:

Instead of picking 1 food can I pick a food group? I could eat Thai everyday for the rest of my life. Spicy food is my addiction in life.

Okay, the foodie in me is SO curious. What is Mataz? a grain? What is the country of origin. I've never heard of this!

Matza ( sorry bad mispelling there) is unleaven bread
...many people, for whatever reason, think matza and manna are the same thing since they both come from the story of the Israelite s fleeing Egypt.. So your story just made me think about it as I grew up on that stuff.

This is such a comedy of errors! I know very well what matzoh is. (I even participated in a thread on homemade matzoh with Maisie once!) However, I was sure that Sarah had some secret food -perhaps from her wanderings as a military wife! So I looked up, "Mataz" and found it was a Circassian dumpling filled with spicy ground beef or lamb, but that it could be filled with potato or other foods. In a photo it looked a bit like a Chinese steamed dumpling, ravioli, Jewish kreplach, or pierogi. I think most cultures have a dumpling stuffed with something that they usually eat. My Slovak grandmother made the most delicious pierogi (pronounced "ped-aw-kee" in Slovak) that I could easily imagine it being anyone's favorite food!

The only thing that had made me wonder about Mataz being a Circassian type dumpling in Sarah's posting was that she had written that they used Mataz to make pizza...and I couldn't figure out how one would make pizza using a dumpling!!! ;))

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Kelinas|1403181076|3696427 said:
Baconbutterchocolateavocadohabenero

One right?

:appl:

I love each of those foods dearly.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
cflutist|1403161701|3696357 said:
Chocolate mint ice cream.

Love it! We don't get it much over here so when we visit the US my normally kind and loving, but sweet hating DH becomes and incredible addict who won't share with anyone and threatens people who get close to him. Bryers is his drug of choice. He maybe has ice cream a handful of times throughout a normal year, but eats literally half a gallon every day we're in the US. Any recommendations on brand?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Salad. Hands down. I eat it nearly everyday and most meals feel incomplete with out it. My favorite at the moment is round lettuce with a bit of rocket, tomatoes, olives, a bit of baby cooked potato, steamed and chilled green beans, and homemade honey mustard dressing.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marcy|1400733643|3677969 said:
A good peach. I love those things and can't stand bad ones.

I mourn the loss of good peaches.
It's been decades since I've found one.
I haven't even bother buying them for maybe five years.

They have to ripen longer on the tree and they are all picked too early now. :nono:
Screw the customers; gotta make higher profits by not having to rush them to market. :roll:

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1403286845|3697355 said:

They have to ripen longer on the tree and they are all picked too early now. :nono:
Screw the customers; gotta make higher profits by not having to rush them to market. :roll:

Ah Kenny, you just have to know where to look...

When I was going to college, I would drive through PA mid-to-late August and stop at the "You Pick" farms. AH-MAY-ZING! They would pick them that day and you could buy perfectly ripened bushels or pick them yourself. I've never had better - not even in Georgia.

Used to pick my own peas and strawberries and corn on farms in NJ too (in season) - THE BEST. I don't live near there anymore so there's none of that yummy-licious-ness. I'd rather go without then go with sub-par - which is why I don't eat much fruit anymore. Even the farm markets around here don't have the same quality.

BTW, to answer the original question, I could (and do) have chocolate every day (dark or milk). :lickout:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
kenny said:

Get thee to a Costco. :wavey: Their nectarines and white-fleshed peaches are fantastic right now. Give them a good sniff, and if the firm ones smell lightly of peach you're good. The soft ones should smell delicious. We just went through 2 cases of them this week, and will probably get some more over the weekend.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
For 5 years we were renting an office with a little cafe in the building. I got a "turkey on cuban bread, heated" almost every day. I still miss it, and somehow can't duplicate it.

Sakuracherry

Brilliant_Rock
Rice. I don't like it when there is no Japanese rice around me.

Xzuix

Rough_Rock
Bread.. plain, sandwich, toasted, any kind of bread. mmm.. bread..

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
AGBF|1403233631|3697012 said:
SB621|1400616746|3676990 said:
jaysonsmom|1400610419|3676906 said:
SB621|1400573566|3676597 said:
jaysonsmom|1400558895|3676531 said:
In the bible, it is written that the Hebrew people led out of slavery by Moses, ate Mana, provided by the Lord for 40 years. That is what made me think of this topic...

Anyway, some of your posts made me think of one thing I eat almost every morning for breakfast.....toast with melted cheese!

MATAZ!!!!!! heheh sorry but I love it! My husband makes the most amazing mataz pizza (with goat cheese, cherry tomatoes, asparagus, balsamic and the bitter lettuce) or we do mataz bri where you scramble it in eggs and put sugar on top. We eat mataz pretty much every week. :bigsmile:

Instead of picking 1 food can I pick a food group? I could eat Thai everyday for the rest of my life. Spicy food is my addiction in life.

Okay, the foodie in me is SO curious. What is Mataz? a grain? What is the country of origin. I've never heard of this!

Matza ( sorry bad mispelling there) is unleaven bread
...many people, for whatever reason, think matza and manna are the same thing since they both come from the story of the Israelite s fleeing Egypt.. So your story just made me think about it as I grew up on that stuff.

This is such a comedy of errors! I know very well what matzoh is. (I even participated in a thread on homemade matzoh with Maisie once!) However, I was sure that Sarah had some secret food -perhaps from her wanderings as a military wife! So I looked up, "Mataz" and found it was a Circassian dumpling filled with spicy ground beef or lamb, but that it could be filled with potato or other foods. In a photo it looked a bit like a Chinese steamed dumpling, ravioli, Jewish kreplach, or pierogi. I think most cultures have a dumpling stuffed with something that they usually eat. My Slovak grandmother made the most delicious pierogi (pronounced "ped-aw-kee" in Slovak) that I could easily imagine it being anyone's favorite food!

The only thing that had made me wonder about Mataz being a Circassian type dumpling in Sarah's posting was that she had written that they used Mataz to make pizza...and I couldn't figure out how one would make pizza using a dumpling!!! ;))

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

:lol:
I think that a pierogi edged pizza (like a stuffed crust) would be delicious!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pasta. Any way, shape or form.

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
Fruit.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
wonton soup. really.

Zizzy

Shiny_Rock
Potatoes.
Gratin Dauphinoise, mash, chips fried in goose fat (that's French fries to my friends across the pond), mash, roast potatoes, potatoes with garlic and rosemary, Walkers Cheese & Onion crisps ( I think that's chips to you lot) - and did I mention mash?

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hainan chicken rice, or my mum's Hong Kong style steamed grouper with spring onions, ginger and sweet soy sauce, with a side of jasmine rice. :)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mochiko42|1404344813|3705569 said:
Hainan chicken rice, or my mum's Hong Kong style steamed grouper with spring onions, ginger and sweet soy sauce, with a side of jasmine rice. :)
Wish I can afford it!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1404345417|3705577 said:
Wish I can afford it!

DF you are lucky that shark fin soup is outlawed in CA now, otherwise you would be paying for that at your DD's Wedding Banquet.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cflutist|1404345635|3705580 said:
Wish I can afford it!

DF you are lucky that shark fin soup is outlawed in CA now, otherwise you would be paying for that at your DD's Wedding Banquet.
When wife and I got marry in 1986 we paid $160 or $180 per table ..:confused: and it was "100% real shark fin" .. :lickout:

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
vtigger86 said:
cflutist|1404345635|3705580 said:
Wish I can afford it!

When wife and I got marry in 1986 we paid $160 or $180 per table ..:confused: and it was "100% real shark fin" .. :lickout:
A lot of places in Hong Kong have stopped serving shark fin too due to public pressure, but it's still popular with the older generation. The Chinese government has banned shark fin from official banquets in order to cut down on costs and corruption.

I got married in Hong Kong in March and we had the Chinese banquet with Japanese abalone instead of shark fin (compromise to keep my "gwailo" American DH and my (Chinese) mum happy)..although, I know there are conservation issues with abalone too. :o

PS typical Chinese wedding banquet in HK is around US$1200 per table and up these days. If you go to a hotel it will be more. It really puts the pressure on guests to give more red envelopes :( :(

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I miss the street junk foods in HK... :lickout:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Homemade caramel macarons. There is a French uni student who works in a cafe down the road from my work - she has started making them (her sister owns a patisserie in Paris and taught her recently), and I am her best customer. She even gives me freebies when she makes a new kind for the first time (Coca Cola yesterday). :lickout:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
justginger|1404550800|3707160 said:
Homemade caramel macarons. There is a French uni student who works in a cafe down the road from my work - she has started making them (her sister owns a patisserie in Paris and taught her recently), and I am her best customer. She even gives me freebies when she makes a new kind for the first time (Coca Cola yesterday). :lickout:

OMG that sounds amazing. Both the caramel macarons and the Coca cola macarons. OMG. :lickout:
Not sure you are old enough to remember or know about the flavored soda called Sarsaparilla. It was my favorite soda flavor in the 70's and a combo I think of cream soda and root beer. Anyway wouldn't that make an awesomely delicious macaron? Perhaps mention it to your friend and see what she thinks. I bet it would. :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results