shape
carat
color
clarity

My girl crush today...

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
So as a side note, I have a lovely small group of close girlfriends. We share similar lifestyles, have young children, share vacations and weekends together. But NONE of my close girlfriends have any interest in jewelry, handbags, or fashion related items. I have a passion for that kind of stuff and really enjoy it! But I have no one to talk to about it in real life. ;( This is why I enjoy PS so much. :bigsmile: But it just sucks when I get really excited about a purchase or something new and shiny and have no one to share it with IRL! (besides my DH who just listens, nods, and smiles)

So today I am standing in line at a deli waiting for some subs. I notice a woman in front of me probably in her late 40's. She has on probably a 3ct MRB engagement ring that was sparkling like mad. Now, where I live that is a very large stone. Most stones here are in the .5ct center stone range. So while waiting I complimented her on it and she was so delighted! She told me all about her upgrades, and how she is actually married to a member of a well known locally owned family jewelry store here, and how she is saving her old ER's for her daughters down the road. She loved my set too and we stood talking even after our orders were ready. We seemed to hit it off!

I walked out of there with a total girl crush! It sucks not having anyone who enjoys these things with me in real life. Does anyone else have this same issue? I would love to attend a PS GTG at some point to meet some of you ladies. The Vegas one is just not going to work for me for awhile as I live on the East coast and have two young children. But I really liked DS's idea of having a possible one NYC at some point!

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on finding a local soul mate to talk jewelry too. I suspect you will have a very interesting life ahead of you...

Life is worth living if you do it right,

Perry

MonkeysInk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Good for you for being able to ask her about it! I'm not sure I would have spoken up like that - it's just not my nature. Are you going to see her again?

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
I have the same issue! No one appreciates my little treasures and what's worse, I have no eye candy to appreciate! My poor husband and teen daughter indulge me every once in a while, but it's not the same. Good luck with your girl crush!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
No gem buddies here either. People smile with glazed eyes, but I do the same when they rave about their latest cruise -- what a waste of money that could buy some knockout stones, I think. 8-) That's why i spend so much time here! I love all you folks.

How great that you ran into a gem-soulmate (she probably said the same about you) -- and what a surprise it must have been!

--- Laurie

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Mom and both my sisters love jewelry, but my Mom and 1 sister just like the sparkles and not really into talking about it...my younger sister use to work at a jewelry store and she loves talking technical stuff about jewelry, she as quite an extensive collection..much more then mine!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can relate. None of my close friends share my jewelry obsession. Though I have a few friends who enjoy my jewelry and always check out what I am wearing when I see them. But to the extent I love and enjoy jewelry there is nobody. My mom has a few gorgeous pieces but she is doesn't get my preoccupation with jewelry and my sister has no interest and all she wears is her ER and WB. Occasionally a necklace.

It would be great to be able to share my excitement about diamonds/gems with someone close but it's not going to happen. My dh is my closest confidant so I do share my jewelry love with him and I know he understands because he loves watches but it's not the same thing as a girlfriend who "gets" it. That's just one of the many reasons I enjoy PS.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those closest and dearest to me all say I should pick a cheaper hobby! :bigsmile:

I joined this and a pearl related board in order to discuss and share my passion with like-minded people.

The same applies to my other hobbies.

DK :))

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Yes! I have the same issues. I have lots of friends, but not many of them are in to fashion like I am (think high-end bags, shoes, etc.). I am really into designers (not necessarily labels, but the actual designers behind the labels) and I few friends that even know what I'm talking about. At a party recently, I was carrying one of my Alexander McQueen Skull clutches and someone commented that it looked like a giant glasses case - they had no idea what/who Alexander mcQueen was and although I found humor in it, it made me sort of sad that no one could relate. Thankfully, it's not my only passion in life, so I can connect with friends on other levels, but it would be nice once in a while to to meet someone who shares my interest.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You may not realize how close (geographic wise) you actually are to some PS'ers in real life! I have had GTG's w/ both Diamondseeker and Yennyfire and we all had a blast together! We plan on meeting up again this year! :naughty:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh that sounds so neat! I love to tell people I love their rings, I gawk like a stalker sometimes too if they don't seem like they'd be as receptive to the attention.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
I am glad I am not the only one enjoying her pretties in solitude IRL! I really need to attend or try to set up a GTG at some point. I just wish I had someone who enjoys jewelry as much as I do. To Mom2boys's point, I may have a soulmate in my area!!! ha!!! Is there anyone in the Boston area or Western Massachusetts/Albany area who would like to maybe do a get together in the spring time???!!!

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
ame|1388943320|3586791 said:
Oh that sounds so neat! I love to tell people I love their rings, I gawk like a stalker sometimes too if they don't seem like they'd be as receptive to the attention.

Ame, have you ever experienced someone who did not enjoy receiving a compliment on their rings? Man, that would be something. Whenever a ring or jewelry of some sort catches my eye I usually do compliment and I think everyone has been pretty well receptive. Oh, btw I just got my Muji organizers in! Can't wait to set them up! I will post a pic in my other thread once they are!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
LizzyAnn, I'm right there with you, and I'm in jewelry central in NYC! But a lot of my friends are either academics - think cool big silver jewelry and edgy, artistic stuff - or they're just straight-up name-brand lovers, happy enough with their Tiffany or their Cartier or whatever, and not necessarily enthused about the alternatives, regardless of whether its a little stall on 47th or Fred Leighton. Which is why I love PS, and why I'm so glad to have met a couple of NYC PSrs who love the stuff as much as I do! It's nice to know I can find a date to the next antique jewelry show. :appl:

Huldak

Shiny_Rock
lizzyann|1389029619|3587510 said:
I am glad I am not the only one enjoying her pretties in solitude IRL! I really need to attend or try to set up a GTG at some point. I just wish I had someone who enjoys jewelry as much as I do. To Mom2boys's point, I may have a soulmate in my area!!! ha!!! Is there anyone in the Boston area or Western Massachusetts/Albany area who would like to maybe do a get together in the spring time???!!!

I haven't been around long but I'd be up for a local gathering in the Boston area!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
lizzyann|1389030133|3587516 said:
ame|1388943320|3586791 said:

Ame, have you ever experienced someone who did not enjoy receiving a compliment on their rings? Man, that would be something. Whenever a ring or jewelry of some sort catches my eye I usually do compliment and I think everyone has been pretty well receptive. Oh, btw I just got my Muji organizers in! Can't wait to set them up! I will post a pic in my other thread once they are!
yay!!!

Only once but they were mostly self conscious about some rando pointing to their pricey pieces.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results