shape
carat
color
clarity

My e-ring makes noises!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Hi guys!

For the past couple of months I have been obsessed that my diamond is a little loose. I think it moves a bit and it makes noise!.

The thing is...nobody else can hear this!. It doesn''t always make a noise, you have to shake it up close to your ear in one specific direction. So the other day we went looking for wedding bands at a local store and I asked them to check my e-ring. They said it was fine, not loose at all...and they couldn''t hear the "noises"!.

But I can
7.gif
and it drives me insane because now I always feel like it''s going to fall off or something!. I will look down and it will be gone!. I still haven''t insured it yet (not sure where to begin on that)...so I''m always a little nervous.

It''s a four prong solitaire....so is this normal? should I go somewhere else?

Am I just "hearing things"? hehe

M~

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Go ask another jeweler!!!

I heard noises when one of my 4 prongs was loose and my jeweler confirmed it. You don''t want the diamond to move, not only because of the potential of losing it, but also because it can get chipped easier that way.

And get it insured! We went through our homeowners policy. It''s a separate rider, but my rings are fully covered.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. INSURE that ring ASAP unless you are loaded (or he is) and can easily replace the stone without feeling pain in the wallet.
2. Bring it to another jeweller to check the prongs. After all, a 2nd opinion is free.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Insure the ring NOW! Do not wear it again (not even only in your own house) until you have a piece of paper in your hand from your insurance company saying it is covered. Wearing it (a) uninsured and especially (b) uninsured while it is rattling is just asking for trouble...

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
I dont really have anything new to add. Personally, I wouldn''t be able to wear my ring until it checked out ok by my jeweler.

turtledazzle

Brilliant_Rock
I have to concur with everyone else -- you really need to get it insured. Just bring an appraisal to your insurance company.

I cannot remember where I heard this ... but I heard that you should not be able slide a sheet of paper between the prong and the diamond -- you might try doing this to see if you can determine which prong(s) might be loose.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Mandarine-- I had a similar experience with my e-ring a few weeks after I received it and when I brought it to the jewelers, we couldn''t replicate the sound then. (Well, that, or the ambient noise in the store made it too loud to hear something so faint.) I too was very concerned about the main stone falling out. Fortunately, the jeweler from whom we had purchased the ring had the same concerns and sent it back to the ringsmith, who tightened the prongs. No problems since he tightened them, so clearly something had been off. Can you contact the jeweler who made your ring?

Date: 7/30/2007 2:08:01 PM
Author:Mandarine

But I can
7.gif
and it drives me insane because now I always feel like it''s going to fall off or something!. I will look down and it will be gone!. I still haven''t insured it yet (not sure where to begin on that)...so I''m always a little nervous.

M~
Mandarine, if hearing others'' experiences helps, we postponed on the insurance thing a little too long ourselves. After conducting quite a bit of research on the different policy terms I had wanted to go with Chubb, but the local agency would only do standalone jewelry policies if the total value of the pieces was over $100,000. After admittedly overthinking the options (Do I insure ALL the jewelry kept in the safe deposit box that rarely gets worn just to get to the limit so my e-ring gets coverage? Should we wait until after we move so we get a jewelry rider to a home policy thus getting around the 100K min. requirement?) and doing nothing about it for months, we booked the type of vacation which kind of forces the insurance issue.

Anyhow, the second-choice option option after my research was Jewelers Mutual. No cash payout options, but I''d be able to work with the jeweler of my choosing if I needed to rebuild a ring. Signing up was significantly easier than with Chubb; I called the customer service number and figured out the options I wanted, filled out an online application, and faxed the required appraisal over. Coverage was in place in about 30 minutes from start to finish.

I never would have guessed it, but what they say is true-- I have felt noticeably more relaxed since we''ve taken care of it.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mandarine, I know exactly what you''re talking about with the "noise" thing. When my diamond first became loose in its setting, I could actually hear it when I shook my hand next to my ear. Then I discovered the stone was moving a tiny bit, so off to the jeweler I went ASAP. It was tightened, and I haven''t had that problem since (about 3 years ago). Anyway, I just wanted to say that you''re not crazy or hearing things, I will vouch for you, LOL!

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock

ok, freaking out now

32.gif
32.gif
32.gif

Thank you though, I now you mean well and I do need to do something!. The people in my "real life" take these questions as sort of a joke and say I obsess to much about the ring.

I will go to my Home owner''s insurance this week. The only appraisal I have is the one from Blue Nile though, which appraises it for more than what we really paid. Is that ok?

I''ll go to another jeweller hopefully today after work!...

Thank you guys! I''ll keep you posted!!!

M~

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How much more does the appraisal quote over the actual price? If just a little, then it''s okay. Otherwise just insure it for a bit over the purchase price.

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
well, it''s at least $5K more....

Do they insure for what the appraissal says or can I show them the appraissal and ask them to insure it for less?. I guess I''m asking because I am sure the premium would be beased on the price of the ring...so I would be paying for that extra $5K when we didn''t really pay that?.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/30/2007 3:36:22 PM
Author: Mandarine
Woah! That''s too much!

Do they insure for what the appraissal says or can I show them the appraissal and ask them to insure it for less?. I guess I''m asking because I am sure the premium would be beased on the price of the ring...so I would be paying for that extra $5K when we didn''t really pay that?.
The premiums are based upon the appraisal, so you will be insuring/paying for that extra $5K that you didn''t pay. Will the insurer base it upon the receipt price?

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/30/2007 3:42:22 PM
Author: Chrono

Date: 7/30/2007 3:36:22 PM
Woah! That''s too much!

The premiums are based upon the appraisal, so you will be insuring/paying for that extra $5K that you didn''t pay. Will the insurer base it upon the receipt price?
right...I''m not sure how it works. So what should I do? To get an independent appraisal I would have to pay extra and it may take a while...

Now I feel like I need to do this right now so should I just use the appraisal that I have?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Take it to a top of the line benchman, he''ll tell you it''s loose.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Think about purchase price vs. replacement value. You may have gotten a great deal on your ring at the time of purchase, but what would it cost to replace it? Can you get the same deal? Mine is insured for more than we paid but enough where I would feel comfortable knowing I could get exactly what I wanted if I had to replace it, and the premiums are still pretty low.

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock

that makes sense too Sum....FI did get a great deal at the time, but we may not be so lucky if something happened to it (hopefully nothing ever will!). But I guess you never know.

So here is an update. I move quickly when I freak out...LOL

I went to a ridiculously over-priced and well known local Jewellery store. He checked it and at first glance he said it was ok, but he took a closer look and then he was able to hear what I was hearing!!!. YAY!!....He was surprised that I was able to hear that because it really was a very low noise....and at first glance the stone didn''t seem loose at all. Anyway, it took him literally 3 seconds to tighten it up. Gave it back to me and the noise is gone!!! woo-hooooo.

Now step 2, I will get it insured!

FI is away on "guys" vacation (camping/hiking)...when he gets back he will be so happy that I finally checked that off my list!!
36.gif

Thank you guys, your sense of urgency worked to freak me out and get moving!
9.gif

M~

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/30/2007 4:44:11 PM

that makes sense too Sum....FI did get a great deal at the time, but we may not be so lucky if something happened to it (hopefully nothing ever will!). But I guess you never know.

So here is an update. I move quickly when I freak out...LOL

I went to a ridiculously over-priced and well known local Jewellery store. He checked it and at first glance he said it was ok, but he took a closer look and then he was able to hear what I was hearing!!!. YAY!!....He was surprised that I was able to hear that because it really was a very low noise....and at first glance the stone didn''t seem loose at all. Anyway, it took him literally 3 seconds to tighten it up. Gave it back to me and the noise is gone!!! woo-hooooo.

Now step 2, I will get it insured!

FI is away on ''guys'' vacation (camping/hiking)...when he gets back he will be so happy that I finally checked that off my list!!
36.gif

Thank you guys, your sense of urgency worked to freak me out and get moving!
9.gif

M~
woohoo, I thought a nice jeweler might find it! Now insure that puppy fast girl!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results