shape
carat
color
clarity

MP3 player for visually impaired

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
I need to purchase an MP3 player for someone who is severely visually impaired, sadly from macular degeneration. She has always loved to read and I thought audio books that her daughter could download from online would be the perfect gift. I need to keep the price around $100 and have decent memory and battery life. Anyone have experience with this that could offer some suggestions. I have looked online but there are many options, some very pricey.

Thanks!

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
Good grief! :sick: I thought the Shuffle was only for music! I'm so challenged when it comes to this stuff. Thanks so much!

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I'd like to second the ipod shuffle, I think it's design would work well for someone who was visually impaired, with the ring of buttons you can feel. Though, it may be a bit challenging to load it with music, depending on the recipient's visual ability (same with any mo3 player, really). Would you be able to help a bit, if needed?

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Dianne,

I would actually stay away from the shuffle, as many blind people have issues with downloading music etc. They perfer items that they can independantly use. You can actually call the National Library of the Blind and ask what they recommend. They have several players they support. Meaning once she/he has the audio player they can sign up for a service through the Library to loan books out etc. I'm not familiar with it. My mother has been blind since she was 4 years old, so she reads braille so she has used the library for years for hard copies. However since Kindle/ Ipads/ MP3 have taken off supposedly the NLB has been working on upgrading that area for the last 3 years. I can also ask my mom what she recommends or what her co-workers are using.

blondie~

Rough_Rock
iPod shuffle. The clip on type.
It works for me & I've got my own eye problems. I use it running, on planes.
It also works for those in hospice, in hospital, because of ease of use toggling on/off; vol up/down; song back/forward. I've seen this 3 times now. Was a great comfort in discomforting situations. Can be used by anyone. A definitive adjunct for those with visual or fine motor problems.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results