shape
carat
color
clarity

Moving, oh my - opinions/advice on TX vs CO?

Where would you move?

• Austin, TX

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Dallas, TX

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Denver, CO

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Boise, ID (dark horse 1)

• Bozeman, MT (dark horse 2)

• Other!

• Total voters

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
DH and I are planning a move... we're currently in the Boston area and are tired of the traffic, high COL, rat race mentality.

Ideally we'd like to move someplace with techie people, traffic that's better than Boston (a 45 minute drive turns into 2+ hours with traffic), mountains and hiking opportunities, reasonable COL (as in, a single professional can afford a house), mom and pop restaurants, and an airport.

We don't care about climate (we've lived in both MA and SC, so have had everything from hot and humid to cold and snowy), shopping opportunities, museums (only go to them if the weather is too bad to be outside), or a hip environment (though we do like both beer and coffee, so there is that ;-) ).

Given all that, where would you recommend we move (Internet bonus points if you provide a "why" to go with the answer)! (As an aside, DH works remotely, so can go anywhere... my field is flexible enough that I can find work most places, or go back to my retail roots to make ends meet.)

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My best friend recently moved to Denver, so I've spent some time there over the past few years. It's beautiful, the weather is fantastic, and there's lots of activities - hiking, biking, camping, etc. The food is great, and there's lots of bars and coffee houses for you. People are very friendly. However, the traffic can be really bad (though I'm sure better than Boston) and from what my friend has told me, they are in a bit of a housing boom so prices are going up, particularly on the rental market.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I'm also in the Boston area and am most certainly tired of all of the things you listed. There are things I love about this area, but if my DH were on board with moving, I'd seriously consider moving elsewhere.

I have 2 friends who moved from the Boston area to Denver who love it. They do miss the ocean, but there are so many outdoor activities in Denver that they aren't at a loss for spending time outside. The COL is so much better and it's a similar lifestyle. I've been to Denver and loved it there.

I don't have any friends who have moved to Texas, but my coworker moved from Texas (Dallas area) to Boston for college and didn't move back. She liked the Dallas area, but says she can't take the hot summers anymore. I have another friend in Dallas (has never lived in Boston) who really likes it, but says that in the summer, you stay indoors.

I've always said that I would love to move to Montana, but now that we have kids and schools are a big consideration, plus I like being close to museums, great restaurants, concert halls, etc. so it would be a huge culture shift for us. I think I could do it since I grew up on a farm, but DH is from this area and I think it would be too much!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results