shape
carat
color
clarity

MH370

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Malaysian Government have official said this morning my time that there is no evidence that the plane kept flying off course....

Misinformation and a badly handled investigation is an understatement.

They are finally examining every passenger on the plane to see if any of them would be valuable as potential hostages and they are also now investigating the cargo, not just for the possibility of a bomb but to see if there were any large sums of cash, valuable documents, diamonds or jewels etc on board that might be worth stealing.

All the computers, emails and documents were raided and seized from the homes of the pilots yesterday (you would think this might have happened earlier).

justginger

Ideal_Rock
arkieb1|1394750433|3633511 said:
The Malaysian Government have official said this morning my time that there is no evidence that the plane kept flying off course....

Misinformation and a badly handled investigation is an understatement.

They are finally examining every passenger on the plane to see if any of them would be valuable as potential hostages and they are also now investigating the cargo, not just for the possibility of a bomb but to see if there were any large sums of cash, valuable documents, diamonds or jewels etc on board that might be worth stealing.

All the computers, emails and documents were raided and seized from the homes of the pilots yesterday (you would think this might have happened earlier).

It is striking how poorly it is being handled - there are simply too many bureaucracies involved. Each points at the other, releases independent information, and pretends like they are either in charge or woefully suppressed (depending on the mood at the time).

Whatever has happened, the information of the continued engine transmission is very concerning. It sounds more and more like that plane was taken. I genuinely don't know which scenario is worse for the travellers. :blackeye:

lioness

Brilliant_Rock
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/14/world/asia/missing-malaysia-airlines-flight-370.html?_r=0

"There were increasing indications that the aircraft did turn radically off course after contact with the ground was lost. Malaysian authorities said they were setting aside national security considerations to share military radar readings with the United States and China to help determine whether they show the missing jet.

They said the data appear to show an unidentified plane flying westward across the Malaysian peninsula and toward the Strait of Malacca and the Andaman Sea, with the last reading placing it 200 miles northwest of the island of Penang, cruising at 29,500 feet. The military took no immediate action on Saturday to investigate the unidentified blips, whose path appeared to take the aircraft near Penang, and only later realized the significance of the readings."

Look at the map. So something was setting off unidentified blips on Malaysian military radar as it flew through Thai airspace and over its territory, as well as possibly over Indonesian airspace, and no one in the air command in any of the three countries involved gave it a second thought??

lioness

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1394739916|3633432 said:
100% speculative but I hope this isn't a religious war where the hijackers plan to use the Chinese nationals as exchange hostages for the release of the Chinese Uighur detainees.

Not speculative. Very much within the realm of possibility.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I'm thinking that it would be pretty tough to pull off a high-jacking on a plane that size. I think the most likely scenario is that the plane went down.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I smell money … a huge Hollywood film.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1394753676|3633557 said:
I'm thinking that it would be pretty tough to pull off a high-jacking on a plane that size. I think the most likely scenario is that the plane went down.

It would not be hard if one of the flight crew was involved. However, the simplest solution is usually the true one. But if it went down, it still, as an FAA official put it, "had a sudden & catastrophic explosive de-pressurization." Why? The 777 is a very safe & reliable plane.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
NOT sudden, is what the talk is now. Slow depressurization.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304185104579437573396580350?mod=WSJ_hp_LEFTTopStories&mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424052702304185104579437573396580350.html%3Fmod%3DWSJ_hp_LEFTTopStories

Latest per Wall Street Journal that it's thought to be at the bottom of the Indian Ocean and that's why no debris have been seen so far. I have read pages of pilots' and aviation people's speculation - see link below. Slow depressurization combined with a redeye flight (passengers asleep) could account for it. Caused hypoxia, passengers unable to cell-phone anyone, pilots confused and disoriented. Some other MH___ (Malasia flight number) to the north over Vietnam at the time said he raised MH370 on the emergency frequency after the transponders stopped working, but heard just garbled voices then lost the signal -- might have been hypoxic and disoriented pilots flying the plane to the west and out of radio range, by mistake.

Depressurization, it's speculated, can occur slowly and insidiously from a crack in the fuselage underneath the SATCOM antenna. Slowly reducing oxygen d/t breach of the fuselage integrity has been id'd as the cause of other airliner crashes. Boeing released a maintenance warning / report on Mar 5 or 6, but they knew of the problem for some time. Some say this particular 777 plane didn't have that exact antenna style in question. The Boeing / FAA warning is for B777 (applied to the B777-200, -200LR, -300, -300ER and -777F series airplanes), and there's some question on whether it excludes the B777-200ER model or just hasn't found a problem in them yet.

There is also a known issue with oxygen fires occurring in the cockpit.

There is a hatch on the 777s that's used by maintenance personnel that apparently doesn't lock. Some people say that (it's mid-plane someplace) hijacker(s) could have entered and hidden there at night, had access to electrical and electronic systems from that area, could have switched off the 2 communications systems of the plane, overtaken pilots, and then hijacked the plane off course.

Many people think that breakup in the air, or catastrophic wing failure (had one repaired wing after a tip was ripped off it), or a bomb in the center fuel tank, or hit by a missile / meteorite / piece of space junk now seems unlikely. (No debris or crash site located along the original flight path, Boeing and US think that plane flew a long time after the transponders failed or were switched off.) Transponders may not be the right word, but I'm not taking time to go look that up, lol.

Lots of people felt that the governments had info but were holding back. Seems likely that's true, since apparently Boeing and USA have analyzed some satellite data from the plane. As well as cell phone ping info. Indian Ocean is considerably deeper than China Sea, and it will be harder to locate and recover the plane if that's where it is. Locating it has to be via something electronically "pinging," b/c the Indian Ocean is too deep for a visual.

This while thread keeps growing but it's what I have been following:
http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/535538-malaysian-airlines-mh370-contact-lost-155.html

That's my 60-second summary.

lioness

Brilliant_Rock
TC1987|1394769570|3633754 said:
NOT sudden, is what the talk is now. Slow depressurization.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304185104579437573396580350?mod=WSJ_hp_LEFTTopStories&mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424052702304185104579437573396580350.html%3Fmod%3DWSJ_hp_LEFTTopStories

Latest per Wall Street Journal that it's thought to be at the bottom of the Indian Ocean and that's why no debris have been seen so far. I have read pages of pilots' and aviation people's speculation - see link below. Slow depressurization combined with a redeye flight (passengers asleep) could account for it. Caused hypoxia, passengers unable to cell-phone anyone, pilots confused and disoriented. Some other MH___ (Malasia flight number) to the north over Vietnam at the time said he raised MH370 on the emergency frequency after the transponders stopped working, but heard just garbled voices then lost the signal -- might have been hypoxic and disoriented pilots flying the plane to the west and out of radio range, by mistake.

Depressurization, it's speculated, can occur slowly and insidiously from a crack in the fuselage underneath the SATCOM antenna. Slowly reducing oxygen d/t breach of the fuselage integrity has been id'd as the cause of other airliner crashes. Boeing released a maintenance warning / report on Mar 5 or 6, but they knew of the problem for some time. Some say this particular 777 plane didn't have that exact antenna style in question. The Boeing / FAA warning is for B777 (applied to the B777-200, -200LR, -300, -300ER and -777F series airplanes), and there's some question on whether it excludes the B777-200ER model or just hasn't found a problem in them yet.

There is also a known issue with oxygen fires occurring in the cockpit.

There is a hatch on the 777s that's used by maintenance personnel that apparently doesn't lock. Some people say that (it's mid-plane someplace) hijacker(s) could have entered and hidden there at night, had access to electrical and electronic systems from that area, could have switched off the 2 communications systems of the plane, overtaken pilots, and then hijacked the plane off course.

Many people think that breakup in the air, or catastrophic wing failure (had one repaired wing after a tip was ripped off it), or a bomb in the center fuel tank, or hit by a missile / meteorite / piece of space junk now seems unlikely. (No debris or crash site located along the original flight path, Boeing and US think that plane flew a long time after the transponders failed or were switched off.) Transponders may not be the right word, but I'm not taking time to go look that up, lol.

Lots of people felt that the governments had info but were holding back. Seems likely that's true, since apparently Boeing and USA have analyzed some satellite data from the plane. As well as cell phone ping info. Indian Ocean is considerably deeper than China Sea, and it will be harder to locate and recover the plane if that's where it is. Locating it has to be via something electronically "pinging," b/c the Indian Ocean is too deep for a visual.

This while thread keeps growing but it's what I have been following:
http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/535538-malaysian-airlines-mh370-contact-lost-155.html

That's my 60-second summary.

The WSJ article does not mention slow depressurization:

"The uncertainty about where the plane was headed, and why it apparently continued flying so long without working transponders and other communication links, has raised theories among investigators that the aircraft may have been commandeered for reasons that remain unclear to U.S. authorities.

At one briefing, according to one of the people, officials were told that investigators are actively pursuing the notion that the plane was diverted 'with the intention of using it later for another purpose.' "

As for the pilots' bulletin board, I'll read the thread. However, is the theory that a disoriented pilot turned off the transponders by accident?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We had a TV special news report on it last night and depressurisation is yet another theory that was mentioned.

They also said quite interestingly that your (US) spy satellites did not pick up or record any big explosions at the time. If there was a bomb and the plane disintegrated they should in theory have captured the event on satellite. If it was a massive fireball before it went down they should have also seen it. I'm also going to guess they are using your satellites to make sure it isn't parked on the ground somewhere.....

Rolls Royce (the people that made the engines and have a clue) said today that the notion the plane kept flying is all rubbish, they have nothing that indicates this.

I've always thought the fact there is no pieces of debris anywhere mean its sitting either as a whole or in a couple of large pieces at the bottom of the ocean somewhere. There have been other crashes where it has taken days for debris to start floating to the surface. The Malaysian Government are trying to save face and create distractions about the whole event. I am not even confident at this point they actually searched the grid (search area radius where it was last detected and should have been or one of the two alternate paths it would have taken if they were diverting due to maintenance issues) properly.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
The lack of coordinated info leads to a zillion theories, frustrating. Plus, every time anything is reported, the Malaysian gov't says NO that's not true.

The trouble with the slow leak idea is that the transponder would still be turned on. Both reporting systems were turned off -- one at 1:07 & the other at 1:21. That can only have been done intentionally. Boeing & RR have clammed up but continued flight (as pinged by the engines, which system cannot be discontinued from inside the plane) seems to be being taken seriously.

The pilot: he had a simulator in his house, told friends he loved the plane so much, he liked to play at flying it on his days off. My brother is a pilot & I can tell you, they are no more likely to want to get in a pretend cockpit at home than a bus driver would be on his days off. A simulator would allow him to practice landing the plane somewhere difficult, however -- short landing strip, mid-jungle, dirt track, take your pick.

I guess we won't know anything till we know something. (That was deep; I made it up myself.) Nutty situation. My heart breaks for the families.

--- Laurie

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1394795549|3633906 said:
The lack of coordinated info leads to a zillion theories, frustrating. Plus, every time anything is reported, the Malaysian gov't says NO that's not true.

The trouble with the slow leak idea is that the transponder would still be turned on. Both reporting systems were turned off -- one at 1:07 & the other at 1:21. That can only have been done intentionally. Boeing & RR have clammed up but continued flight (as pinged by the engines, which system cannot be discontinued from inside the plane) seems to be being taken seriously.

The pilot: he had a simulator in his house, told friends he loved the plane so much, he liked to play at flying it on his days off. My brother is a pilot & I can tell you, they are no more likely to want to get in a pretend cockpit at home than a bus driver would be on his days off. A simulator would allow him to practice landing the plane somewhere difficult, however -- short landing strip, mid-jungle, dirt track, take your pick.

I guess we won't know anything till we know something. (That was deep; I made it up myself.) Nutty situation. My heart breaks for the families.

--- Laurie

You could have a massive systems failure in the cockpit, fire in the cockpit and so on that could take out the transponder, it's rare but it has happened before. They were possibly turned off but they could also have been taken out.

My husband used to employ a lot of pilots. About half of them liked sim type games and had them at their houses. Many did not. I think it depends on the person. They need to focus on what he had on the sim and where he had been practising flying into before drawing any conclusions. I don't really find owning one in itself suspicious....

The first time I ever got into a professional helicopter simulator (not the games you have in your house, a proper large professional simulator), I took off, flew and landed a large military helicopter. I can not fly a helicopter in real life and have no burning desire to do so, the instructor told me that they have only ever had 3 people (including me) that were able to get into and fly that simulator without crashing first go, including a long list of professional helicopter pilots. And he grilled me that I must have flown a helicopter before, which I had not, but I had been a passenger in one a number of times, so I am not sure the guy having a sim in his house proves or disproves anything.

They interviewed a lady in Australia last night on the TV special, she has two small children and her husband was a fly in fly out worker, he is one of the people on the plane who is currently missing. I felt very sorry for her family, the two little children wanting to know where their Dad is..... I just wish they would get their act together and find the plane and put these people out of their misery.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The new theories they are discussing if its been hijacked and has been hidden for future use are terrifying. The thought of it being used as a weapon loaded with explosives makes my blood run cold. Also, equally devastating is the fate of the passengers in this situation. It's all so sinister and sad. ;(

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
No, WSJ article didn't say that. It was not clear from what I wrote, but most of the other info was from pprune board discussion.

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/535538-malaysian-airlines-mh370-contact-lost-159.html,, post 3173 - The data are not from Rolls Royce. They are from US source, presumed to be government satellites.
Quote:
A report says the Americans said that the engines continued to tx data for several hours. Surely Rolls can officially confirm or deny this?
There are two separate issues which are being confused. That engine data continued to be transmitted has been denied by all, including now, apparently, RR. :Un-quote

The latest, and separate, issue relates to satellite data. According to US sources, although MH did not subscribe to Boeing's ACARS satellite monitoring system, the aircraft was fitted with the necessary devices which, although not getting connected, would still Ping the satellite every 30 minutes. According to the same US sources, they have access to GPS data altitude and track. Perhaps this was possible as a result of triangulation with multiple satellites, including "Spook" satellites, which may be why specifics are not forthcoming.

And some pilots have pointed out that loss of ping data over the Indian Ocean may not be a crash indicator, because the hijackers could have finally shut off the circuit breaker to that com system but continued to fly once they were over the Indian Ocean. (Unless there is undisclosed military radar data that refute that.)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
US officials now say there's is a strong suspicion the flight crew is responsible, one or both of them.

Ground air traffic control responsibility gets handed off from country to country as jets travel.
The logic of the US officials is, the plane made a sharp left turn right after the plane left the jurisdiction of Malaysia, but before Viet Nam took over responsibility for it.
There was a short window of time when neither country is paying attention to the plane.
Only the pilot and copilot would recognize this best moment to vanish without a trace.

Also in post-911 a hijacker approaching the cockpit would likely be taken out by passengers who know the alternative is dying, but if the captain himself was the bad guy he could just keep talking to the passengers and keep them unaware.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/15/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-plane/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
If the pilots were responsible, passengers can't get into the cockpit since 9/11. It sounds like they (the co-pilot at least) did not always follow procedure & did let passengers come up there, though. One of them could've come out for a cup of coffee or something, allowing access to a hijacker.

A pilot said this a.m. that when the plane went to 45K feet, a person would have about 2 seconds before passing out from hypoxia. Besides that, the steep climb & then drop would have thrown people & stuff all over the plane, injuring or outright killing some. If you're going to hijack a plane, you wouldn't want to have to handle 230+ hostages, so getting rid of them would be part of the plan. I don't think, if the plane did not crash, that the passengers are still alive.

--- Laurie

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I think the Iranian guys that were traveling with stolen passports forced it to fly to Iran or Pakistan.

There is enough fuel and the air miles are correct for that distance. I checked it out. There are four unused airports in Pakistan, I verified that myself.

But then, I'm big on conspiracy theories. :wink2:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
iLander, I was surprised they dismissed those 2 guys so easily. Maybe someone can explain why they get to Kuala Lumpur on their Iranian passports & then need to use stolen ones to go to Germany to ask for asylum. Why not continue on their real ones? Does Germany not admit Iranians? If they want asylum, why would it matter? I'm not big on conspiracy theories as a rule, but this is just a weird story. Anybody able to clarify for me?

--- Laurie

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laurie, I'm guessing they each had 2 passports because Germany, like the US, will not entertain advance applications for asylum from folks outside the country; you have to actually be in Germany to apply for asylum & as Iranians, they'd have to show -- in addition to their passport -- a visa at the airport that would demonstrate they were authorized to enter Germany; there is no extra, visa requirement for Italians and Austrians, among others:
http://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/EN/EinreiseUndAufenthalt/StaatenlisteVisumpflicht_node.html

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is getting scarier and scarier with updated news over the weekend confirming that foul play is the most likely cause. The level of the Malaysian Government's incompetency is astounding, waiting more than a week before starting an investigation on key crew members.

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
My heart goes out to the loved ones of the passengers, I couldn't possibly begin to understand the anguish they must be going through. Excuse my ignorance, but as for finding the plane's location isn't there a way with cell phones maybe? I'm not tech savvy but I heard that I Phones had some kind of tracking device, or if someone were to call a cell phone doesn't the provider know what country this phone(phone number) is at ?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
If you are high enough above cell towers, Cluelss, there isn't any reception, is what a few interviewees said. Also, for most of the area they think this plane flew, there aren't cell towers at all -- Indian Ocean or over Asian areas without them. When people called the passengers' phones, they heard a ring tone, but it did not mean a connection -- you hear that when the signal is searching for reception; in this case, none was made.

MollyMalone said:
Laurie, I'm guessing they each had 2 passports because Germany, like the US, will not entertain advance applications for asylum from folks outside the country; you have to actually be in Germany to apply for asylum & as Iranians, they'd have to show -- in addition to their passport -- a visa at the airport that would demonstrate they were authorized to enter Germany; there is no extra, visa requirement for Italians and Austrians, among others:
http://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/EN/EinreiseUndAufenthalt/StaatenlisteVisumpflicht_node.html

Still fishy to me, MollyM: So they are admitted to Germany on fake passports, then ask for asylum & have to admit, "Yeah, well um, I'm really Iranian, fooled ya with my fake passport till you checked." Back to Square One: no visa for Germany, ergo no asylum. I think the whole story sounds awfully poorly thought-out. Wonder if further checking on them is going on.

--- Laurie

iLander

Ideal_Rock
If it were me trying to find this plane, I would send out a bunch of ships and planes with portable cell boosters in them and program them to signal when the numbers from any of the passengers' phones pinged the tower. I would have done that on day 2.

That's how they found that Oregon couple that were lost, the cell phone, even though it was "dead" it send out a faint signal. Here's that story:

Although the Kims had a cellular phone with them, their remote location in the mountains was out of range of the cellular network, rendering the phone unusable for voice calls. Despite being unusable for voice calls, their cell phone would play a key role in their rescue. Cell phone text messages may go through even when there appears to be no signal, in part because text messaging is a store-and-forward service. Two Edge Wireless engineers, Eric Fuqua and Noah Pugsley, contacted search and rescue authorities offering their help in the search. On Saturday, December 2, they began searching through the data logs of cell sites, trying to find records of repeaters to which the Kims' cellphone may have connected. They discovered that on November 26, 2006 at around 1:30 a.m., the Kims' cellphone made a brief automatic connection to a cell site near Glendale, Oregon, and retrieved two text messages. Temporary atmospheric conditions, such as tropospheric ducting, can briefly allow radio communications over larger distances than normal. Through the data logs, the engineers determined that the cell phone was in a specific area west of the cellular tower. They then used a computer program to determine which areas in the mountains were within a line-of-sight to the cellular tower. This narrowed the search area tremendously, and finally focused rescue efforts on Bear Camp Road.

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Jf and Il this is just so sad wish there were answers.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1395086935|3635975 said:
* * * Still fishy to me, MollyM: So they are admitted to Germany on fake passports, then ask for asylum & have to admit, "Yeah, well um, I'm really Iranian, fooled ya with my fake passport till you checked." Back to Square One: no visa for Germany, ergo no asylum. I think the whole story sounds awfully poorly thought-out. Wonder if further checking on them is going on.

--- Laurie
They reportedly used the stolen passports to clear Immigration at the Malaysian airport and board the plane; the personnel at the Immigration counter did not check the passports vs the Interpol data base of stolen passports. Cross-checking passports vs. Interpol's databank seems like SOP to us, so think it's been a surprise to many in the USA to learn it's not true for most of the world:
http://www.slate.com/articles/techn...countries_check_interpol_s_sltd_database.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/11/w...irliner-said-to-highlight-a-security-gap.html

By virtue of international treaties dating back to 1951, you cannot be denied asylum solely on the ground that you didn't arrive in Germany (or any other signatory country) totally legitimately. The primary reason for that provision is so that people who deserve asylum refugee status aren't penalized for escaping their home country via illicit means. E.g., Jews in pre-Gorbachev Soviet Russia were routinely denied exit visas.

Who knows what these 2 Iranians (assuming no malevolent intent on their part**) knew, or thought they knew, about immigration laws and procedure in Germany and Finland, where the 29-year-old was believed to be heading. But the basic idea isn't as half-baked or suspicious as it may seem.

** I'm thinking a major reason that these two, 19 and 29-year-olds have apparently not been seen, to date, as major suspects is because their tickets' itinerary included a stop-over/change of planes in Beijing & then going on to Amsterdam. If you didn't have any genuine intention of making Europe your final destination, seems unlikely you would pay the extra money for a flight there.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, here's an amazing possibility.

A guy named Keith Ledgerwood postulates MH370 "vanished' by flying in the 'radar shadow' of another Boeing 777 (Singapore Airlines flight # SIA68) that was traveling to Spain and, amazingly, was in the same location as MH370 when it 'vanished'.

The theory is if two jets follow closely enough (actually with both lined up on the same straight line originating from the radar source) the radar can't tell there are two jets there.
Think of a huge searchlight; if one jet stays in the shadow of the other the light will not reach the hiding jet.
At some point the MH370 broke formation and landed or crashed.

It seems far fetched, and you can google around to find holes in the theory but … still … Ledgerwood has to be pretty creative to come up with this.
Unfortunately now that this clever idea has been published real terrorists may try it one day. :((

http://keithledgerwood.tumblr.com/post/79838944823/did-malaysian-airlines-370-disappear-using-sia68-sq68

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
But Kenny, wouldn't the other jet know it was there? It seems unlikely the Singapore Airlines pilots wouldn't see it on their own radar, if not with their very own eyes. Otherwise everyone would be crashing into each other at x-thousand feet.

MollyM -- thanks for the explanation. Makes sense. Today a guy from the National Transportation Security dept. said the Malaysians have checked the backgrounds of all passengers except 2 Russians & a Ukrainian, on whom they can't get info in the chaos there right now. But he said regular background checks are only the surface -- they need to start interviewing family, friends, co-workers to find associations that don't show up on paper.

Some of the activities on the pilot's home simulator had been deleted about a month before this flight. They're trying to reconstruct it -- hope to heck they have some of our experts work on it before some local yokel messes it up trying. Sorry to sound disdainful -- but we do have people with much deeper expertise.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Whatever is going on, they certainly are a lot more interested in that southern arc now. I don't know if it's just that the Aussies want to take some action rather than continue to wait, or that they have gleaned something more definite from the ping series.

I'm still following that thread on pprune dot org. Another variant of the fire / O2 cylinder explosion theory, and someone also linked the final report on the Egyptian Air plane that had a fire and explosion on the runway.
9th Mar 2014, 22:47 #6302 (permalink)
Gruel train ( << person who posted this --- TC19897)

So the crew oxy bottle is in the front left of the EE bay. If it had blown, causing a rapid depressurisation, it is conceivable that some electrics may also have been lost, probable that the AP disconnected, leaving the crew hand flying and donning oxy masks with no supply and a time of useful consciousness around the ten second mark. With the pilots incapacitated, the AC is then finding its own flight path resulting in a climb to 45000 with a stall accompanied by left wing down drop in the recovery, and flies itself out of the stall on a new heading. As fuel burns off this pattern is repeated resulting in random turns to the left or right, and leveling off at different altitudes as the weight decreases and COG moves. Passenger oxygen would only last a short time as it is designed to provide enough oxy while the crew get down to a safe level, so pax would also quickly be incapacitated.
It explains the random turns.
It explains the random altitudes.
It explains the silence from pax and crew.

Speculation only.

AP = autopilot
AC = aircraft
COG = center of gravity
pax = passengers

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results