shape
carat
color
clarity

Medical Marijuana

Anonymous_1

Rough_Rock
My mother is in her mid-80's. She has osteoporosis and has been undergoing chemotherapy for about 1 1/2 years - IV chemo for the past half year - and as a result of all this she's rather unsteady on her feet. Last December she slipped while trying to stomp on a spider she spotted in her kitchen and broke some vertibraes or something. She had a lot of pain in her back despite pain medication. She's also extremely leery of taking pain meds because, as a former nurse, she's very aware of how potentially addictive most of the pain meds that are commonly prescribed these days are. The chemo side effects included nausea and debilitating diarrhea, which caused her to eat very, very little. I was afraid that she might starve herself to death or get so little nutrition that it would affect her heart.

A month or two ago someone talked her into asking her doctor about medical marijuana to help with the side effects of chemo. (I had mentioned it before, but I guess it she couldn't hear it from me since I'm kind of the black sheep of the family. :wink2: ) Fortunately it's a possibility here in California, although there is a lot of medical rigamarole involved. Her primary care doctor readily agreed with the suggestion, and after jumping through some hoops, she ended up getting it in the form of muffins made with marijuana-infused oil. The muffins are very small and very dense. The advisor at the dispensary she got them from suggested that she start out with only 1/8 muffin the first day to see how her body reacted, and then move up to 1/4 muffin per day.

I was visiting my parents when my mother took that first little trial bit of muffin. She ate that bit of muffin mid-morning: at lunch I served her the usual tiny portion of soup (about two large soupspoons worth). She asked for seconds then, had a mid-afternoon snack, and then asked for seconds again at dinner. She's been taking the same small amount of muffin each day for over three weeks now, and still experiencing the same benefits. She also started getting up to fix herself a snack in the middle of the each night :lol: although when I was there this past week she actually slept all the way through each night... a big improvement. The marijuana has also eased her back pain significantly and relieved much (though not all) of her nausea. In short, it has really has made a huge improvement in her quality of life.

My mother has long been a "glass half empty" sort of person and a recreational worrier. It does seem like the marijuana is taking the edge off of her anxiety. She does not seem to be experienced any hallucinogenic effects, however.

I'm posting about my mother's experience just in case someone reading this, or someone they're close to, might be dealing with a medical condition that might be helped by medical marijuana. I realize that PS'ers are for the most part a pretty enlightened bunch, but I also think most people still think of marijuana as a "recreational" drug first and one with medical uses second - if at all. If you're in a state that allows the use of marijuana for medical purposes, then please don't let marijuana's illicit past deter you from considering it if it might help you. And if it's deterring some you love, please try to help them see past that.

BTW I am a longtime PS'er and poster. I'm sure some of you already have your guesses as to my other PS identity. :lol: I just decided to use a pseudonym for this thread out of an abundance of caution since it involves my parents.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marijuana's taboos come from lack of education. I've never used it because I've never felt the need to, but when used properly, it is much less dangerous than alcohol drinking, which *isn't* illegal. I never understood that.

I do hope that, in a few years to a decade at most, laws will change.
I want to work with kids some day, and I worry about ever getting a medical marijuana card or using marijuana. I'd hate to not be able to get a job ever because of this, and the available background checks.
So, instead of using something natural from the ground, I use Xanax to deal with my occasional anxiety.

I'm happy your mom is feeling better with the use of it.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
A great post - I have no doubt it will help at least one person, in one way or another. The reaches of PS are vast, after all. Thank you for sharing and I'm glad to hear of your mom's improvement. :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marijuana's medicinal properties and benefits had been the subjects of many research projects by academic institutions as far back as mid 80s when I went to college.

I was glad when its medicinal benefits were gradually and finally recognised, with some of its "naughty" images being lifted along the way, and made it more "acceptable".

DK :))

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
A family member of mine was on it while dying of cancer. Not sure if it helped much at all. His eating habits improved slightly, periodically, but he still needed anti-anxiety meds to control floods of anxiety (even while on the medical marijuana). I'm sure that it can be helpful for some, but not all. I wish the best for your family =)

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I have no problem with medical marijuana in cases like these. My problem is the abuse of it. I remember watching a documentary on a clinic where the doctor just coached the people to say the right things. My brother has a prescription for social anxiety. Give me a break- he's a musician who has been playing in front of crowds since he was 9. But people on chemo who just need to eat? Fine.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
amc80|1398612223|3661210 said:
I have no problem with medical marijuana in cases like these. My problem is the abuse of it. I remember watching a documentary on a clinic where the doctor just coached the people to say the right things. My brother has a prescription for social anxiety. Give me a break- he's a musician who has been playing in front of crowds since he was 9. But people on chemo who just need to eat? Fine.

I don't know the case for your brother, but just because someone used to not have anxiety doesn't mean they are lying about anxiety now. I have had the worst anxiety attacks of my life in the last few months, and only started getting attacks sporadically about 3-4 years ago. They can be stress induced. I'm guessing your brother didn't have life stressors at 9 years of age, as I didn't back then, either.

Anxiety attacks suck, and they're completely debilitating. After I get one, and it passes, I am completely exhausted and useless for a few hours, and need to nap.

If I could rely on marijuana to help me instead of popping pills, I would. Again, it's the world's narrow minded taboo on them that prevents me from being a card-carrying member of society.

(Sorry, AMC, I'm not saying you're wrong about your brother, but the last few sentences make it sound like you believe people lie about anxiety to smoke MJ when it's a legitimate reason.)

Anonymous_1

Rough_Rock
amc80|1398612223|3661210 said:

I'm sure there are people who obtain medical marijuana under "false pretenses." When my mother was at the dispensary she and still trying to justify this new thing for herself, she was asking each person who came near her whether the marijuana was helping them. I had to laugh when one young man answered her with a puzzled look and an "I guess so." Maybe that was your brother, amc? In any case, he's still the best judge of whether it addresses a real or made-up or imagined need.

I'm also sure that there are people like madelise who might benefit from medical marijuana but don't feel they can risk it because of possible professional repercussions; unfortunately a personal friend of mine falls into this category.

My post was focused on people who might benefit from medical marijuana but shy away from it because of marijuana's history (and stigma) as an illegal substance, hallucinogen, hippie drug, etc.

Momhappy: I'm sorry about your family member. Cancer is a nasty disease. :((

D

Deactivated member 42515

Thanks for the thread,
OP. I think that medical marijuana can do wonders for the sick and I'm glad that it's becoming less and less taboo.

Funny thing, DH and I found an olllllllld time movie about marijuana and how it kills. It was on Netflix and it was sad and hilarious. The way the actors were acting when they smoked it.... Wow, like they were on crack! Or whatever drug is an upper... I don't really know my drugs hahaha I wish I could remember the name of the movie...

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
YT|1398617576|3661258 said:
Thanks for the thread,
OP. I think that medical marijuana can do wonders for the sick and I'm glad that it's becoming less and less taboo.

Funny thing, DH and I found an olllllllld time movie about marijuana and how it kills. It was on Netflix and it was sad and hilarious. The way the actors were acting when they smoked it.... Wow, like they were on crack! Or whatever drug is an upper... I don't really know my drugs hahaha I wish I could remember the name of the movie...

Reefer Madness???

D

Deactivated member 42515

pandabee said:
YT|1398617576|3661258 said:
Thanks for the thread,

Reefer Madness???
Yes!!!! Thank you!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I'm 100% sure my brother doesn't medically need it. This is based on things he's said to me. Like I said, I have no problem with people who legitimately need it. And, like every other system where some people need it and others abuse it, I'm not saying I have an answer.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1398623625|3661322 said:
I'm 100% sure my brother doesn't medically need it. This is based on things he's said to me. Like I said, I have no problem with people who legitimately need it. And, like every other system where some people need it and others abuse it, I'm not saying I have an answer.

I agree. I know lots of people who self-medicate (for depression, anxiety, etc.) and it's really not doing them any favors. It might make them feel better temporarily, but if the only time that you feel "better" is when you're high, then I think there's a problem with that. I realize that this thread is about the medical use and that's another thing entirely. If someone is truly ill and needs it to feel better, then I get that and I'm glad that the treatment is there for them:)

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
madelise|1398584121|3661098 said:
Marijuana's taboos come from lack of education. I've never used it because I've never felt the need to, but when used properly, it is much less dangerous than alcohol drinking, which *isn't* illegal. I never understood that.

As a professional and licensed Drug and Alcohol counselor I consider myself fairly educated. I agree THC is not the *most* dangerous drug but it certainly has its share of risks. First off THC has an extremely long half life. It takes 72 hours to get half of the drug out of your body because THC loves fat and our brains are fatty. Alcohol, for comparison, is 30 minutes. Second it is highly addicting with its unique share of consequences. There is no real withdrawal (because it stays in your body so long) but psychologically, it is addicting. Third it causes psychosis with those with mental health vulnerabilities. I have seen this first hand and it is very scary. Obviously most people will not have this reaction but the relaxed attitude surrounding THC does make it dangerous. The "it's natural, it's not a real drug" argument is not supported through research.

That being said I support the use of medical THC in PILL form for those who really qualify. It is a joke in CA. Anyone can get it. Of course I think opiates and benzos are surprisingly easy to get as well. Too easy. Doctors need more addiction education IMHO and should prescribe the least addicting medication at the lowest dose as possible.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I'm sort of with Tacori on this one. I do agree that many people can use it to great benefit, but I worry about those abusing or becoming a addict. It sounds like the OP's mother is a great example of how it works, but I'm not sure I would prescribe it out for anyone who could list off a few key terms. Thank goodness I'm not in the medical profession.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tacori E-ring|1398628576|3661356 said:

As a professional and licensed Drug and Alcohol counselor I consider myself fairly educated. I agree THC is not the *most* dangerous drug but it certainly has its share of risks. First off THC has an extremely long half life. It takes 72 hours to get half of the drug out of your body because THC loves fat and our brains are fatty. Alcohol, for comparison is 30 minutes. Second it is highly addicting with its unique share of consequences. There is no real withdrawal (because it stays in your body so long) but psychologically, it is addicting. Third it causes psychosis with those with mental health vulnerabilities. I have seen this first hand and it is very scary. Obviously most people will not have this reaction but the relaxed attitude surrounding THC does make it dangerous. The "it's natural, it's not a real drug" argument is not supported through research.

That being said I support the use of medical THC is PILL form for those who really qualify. It is a joke in CA. Anyone can get it. Of course I think opiates and benzos are surprisingly easy to get as well. Too easy. Doctors need more addiction education IMHO and should prescribe the least addicting medication at the lowest dose as possible.

I've had several friends who stopped marijuana use and suffered from night terrors and the like for weeks after quitting. I personally have received education about marijuana from living with and being formerly married to a person who was addicted to it. Is it dangerous in the sense of that Wu Tang rapper taking PCP and cutting off his genitalia and jumping out of a window? No. It is dangerous in the sense that certain users do not function to their full capacity and lose pretty much everything they have in life, including their job, their partner, and their home, because they'd rather get high all day instead of seeking professional help for their problems.

It's like most things in life: if used in moderation and with care, it can be helpful. If used carelessly and unnecessarily, it can be quite detrimental and anything BUT helpful.

Anonymous, I wish your mother the best and am glad she has found it helpful. Thanks for sharing this story!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

As a professional and licensed Drug and Alcohol counselor I consider myself fairly educated. I agree THC is not the *most* dangerous drug but it certainly has its share of risks. First off THC has an extremely long half life. It takes 72 hours to get half of the drug out of your body because THC loves fat and our brains are fatty. Alcohol, for comparison is 30 minutes. Second it is highly addicting with its unique share of consequences. There is no real withdrawal (because it stays in your body so long) but psychologically, it is addicting. Third it causes psychosis with those with mental health vulnerabilities. I have seen this first hand and it is very scary. Obviously most people will not have this reaction but the relaxed attitude surrounding THC does make it dangerous. The "it's natural, it's not a real drug" argument is not supported through research.

That being said I support the use of medical THC is PILL form for those who really qualify. It is a joke in CA. Anyone can get it. Of course I think opiates and benzos are surprisingly easy to get as well. Too easy. Doctors need more addiction education IMHO and should prescribe the least addicting medication at the lowest dose as possible.

I'm so glad that you posted this. Thanks for sharing:)

D

Deactivated member 42515

SB621 said:
I'm sort of with Tacori on this one. I do agree that many people can use it to great benefit, but I worry about those abusing or becoming a addict. It sounds like the OP's mother is a great example of how it works, but I'm not sure I would prescribe it out for anyone who could list off a few key terms. Thank goodness I'm not in the medical profession.

I think that weed is not something that you can get addicted to. But, it is scary because it is a gateway drug. Sorry if someone has already mentioned this. But, it usually starts with weed and ends up with something horrible like meth.

I personally do not do any drugs but I have family members and friends that have fallen prey to them and it's hard. Really is...

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^I absolutely think weed is addicting. Also, I don't know if its fair to say that weed users usually end up on meth. I am aware that it happens, but I don't know how common it is. My experience with the drug (I have PLENTY of friends & family members who smoke it), is that it started with weed and ended there. It was also an ongoing, daily habit (that impeded norma, daily function), which goes back to why I believe that people can become addicted to it.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1398631133|3661374 said:
^I absolutely think weed is addicting. Also, I don't know if its fair to say that weed users usually end up on meth. I am aware that it happens, but I don't know how common it is. My experience with the drug (with PLENTY of friends & family members smoking it), is that it started with weed and ended there. It was also an ongoing, daily habit, which goes back to why I believe that people can become addicted to it.

I also agree, in my experience treating addicts, it is very addicting. Not so much physically but then again neither is cocaine and I don't think anyone would argue that cocaine is not an addicting drug. In both the rehab I formally worked for an now the hospital, I have treated patients with THC dependence (no other drugs involved). Meth is actually not as common right now. Not that it matters but people tend to pull that one out of the hat. All drugs go through trends.Right now I would say the largest dependence/abuse (besides alcohol) are opiates. Lots of things can be addicting, sugar, caffeine, shopping, exercise, sex...if there is an obsession and a compulsion, I believe that is an addiction. In simplest terms addiction is use despite negative consequences.

The OP's mother is an example of why people believe in medical MJ. The pill form has been available for years. Smoke shops are about money. Like with most things medical there are many forms of treatment. I just cannot, ethically, not present the "dangerous" side of THC because it DOES exist and not just in movies or outdated documentaries. I will never support the legalization, though I think it will happen, because the risks are just too great.

D

Deactivated member 42515

momhappy said:
^I absolutely think weed is addicting. Also, I don't know if its fair to say that weed users usually end up on meth. I am aware that it happens, but I don't know how common it is. My experience with the drug (I have PLENTY of friends & family members who smoke it), is that it started with weed and ended there. It was also an ongoing, daily habit (that impeded norma, daily function), which goes back to why I believe that people can become addicted to it.

I wasn't trying to say that they all end up on meth. I was just trying to say that it's a gateway drug. I didn't mean to make a generalization. Apologies if it came out that way.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
YT|1398632386|3661386 said:
momhappy said:

I wasn't trying to say that they all end up on meth. I was just trying to say that it's a gateway drug. I didn't mean to make a generalization. Apologies if it came out that way.

No worries! I agree that it can sometimes lead to other things, so I understood your point =)

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wait... isn't weed really *not* a gateway drug, like some claim? I thought that it wasn't? There are so many of those myth buster things out about this.

D

Deactivated member 42515

madelise said:
Wait... isn't weed really *not* a gateway drug, like some claim? I thought that it wasn't? There are so many of those myth buster things out about this.

Maybe, I'm just talking from personal experience.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
YT|1398634543|3661405 said:
madelise said:

Wooh, :naughty: What've you been up to! :lol: ;))

D

Deactivated member 42515

madelise said:
YT|1398634543|3661405 said:
madelise said:

Wooh, :naughty: What've you been up to! :lol: ;))

I currently have about 5 pounds of weed in my spare bedroom. Want some?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no problem with appropriate medical use. I will say that there are probably FAR more people in this country addicted to legally prescribed pain meds and anxiety meds such as Xanax and Ativan. I see addiction as very dangerous period, but I don't see marijuana particularly any worse than the many other prescription drugs that people are addicted to. I have a relative married to someone who is terribly addicted to pain pills (supposedly headache meds) and he has lost his job and it is absolutely sickening to see him impaired by legally prescribed drugs. I think that is far worse than the people that I knew in the past (college) who used mj recreationally (and no, none of them went on to harder drugs). I have seen many more lives ruined by alcohol and prescription pain pills in my lifetime.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I know both too - those addicted to weed and those addicted to scrips. One is no "better" than the other (I know that you weren't saying that diamondseeker - I was just making an observation) and I've witnessed the negative outcomes of both. They ruin lives in different ways IMO.

Anonymous_1

Rough_Rock
As a professional and licensed Drug and Alcohol counselor I consider myself fairly educated. I agree THC is not the *most* dangerous drug but it certainly has its share of risks. First off THC has an extremely long half life. It takes 72 hours to get half of the drug out of your body because THC loves fat and our brains are fatty. Alcohol, for comparison, is 30 minutes. Second it is highly addicting with its unique share of consequences. There is no real withdrawal (because it stays in your body so long) but psychologically, it is addicting. Third it causes psychosis with those with mental health vulnerabilities. I have seen this first hand and it is very scary. Obviously most people will not have this reaction but the relaxed attitude surrounding THC does make it dangerous. The "it's natural, it's not a real drug" argument is not supported through research.

That being said I support the use of medical THC in PILL form for those who really qualify. It is a joke in CA. Anyone can get it. Of course I think opiates and benzos are surprisingly easy to get as well. Too easy. Doctors need more addiction education IMHO and should prescribe the least addicting medication at the lowest dose as possible.

Tacori - I appreciate your weighing in on this. Marijuana use was very prevalent when I was in college, and I have seen marijuana addiction. I've also seen life-altering (not in a good way) phychoses that appeared to be related to marijuana use - although I suppose the schizophrenia could have emerged later or been triggered by something else - who's to know? Anyhow, I happen to agree that marijuana use should not be taken lightly... for these and other reasons. And I'll most likely vote against de-criminalization when it shows up on the ballot.

But I'm very grateful that medical marijuana is available for my mother. It seems to have improved her life in a way that more traditional medicines did not, and in doing so, it has restored her will to live. And that's my whole reason for starting this thread - to step away from the recreational use issues and provide an example of how medical marijuana can help. I think I also understand why as a medical professional you would prefer a pill form - known dosages, etc. However, my mother is taking so many pills that I'm grateful this drug is available to her in another, relatively innocuous form.

As for the "gateway drug" argument that some others have brought up... I suspect that has a lot to do with the environment in which the marijuana is used and obtained. In my mother's case, it's not a concern.

Thank you all for your good wishes for my mother. :))

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My SO suffers from PTSD and anxiety. He has tried various medications and marijuana is the only thing that has helped. If it were legal I am sure he would have continued to use it but he cannot. I fully agree that its medical benefits outweigh the negative stereoypes.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results