shape
carat
color
clarity

May I vent and gush at the same time?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
First off this website has been a savior to me during this time in my life because I find everyone so nice and supportive.

Ok so my vent- My FI got an amazing job transfer from NY to Frankfurt, Germany. I made the choice to come here with thus moving away from my family and friends (not the biggest deal since I went to college far from home) but I also had to give up my job and put my career on hold. So I got lucky and as soon as I moved here I applied and begged a million places for jobs, I work in PR but speak no German yet, and I actually was offered something by a company! Well that was over 2 months ago! I was just denied my work visa yet again by the government. We are applying one more time and in the meantime they are trying to extend my residence permit, but it is just so frustrating. I pay for private health insurance and the job is for a native English speaker so it is not like I am draining German resources! It is just so hard because I have nothing to do all day and cannot even enroll in classes yet to learn German because I could get kicked out of the country or get lucky and start work. I just will be so disappointed if they deny it again because that is it and then I have to leave my FI and our dog here for 3 months. We don''t want to do a civil marriage if we can avoid it for financial reasons. I am just soooo frustrated at being bored and feeling worthless.

Ok that was my vent.
Here is my gush: My Fi isn''t into surprises. He is beyond generous, but his feeling is he would rather be upfront with giving a gift rather than risk getting it wrong. While that makes sense, I am a total cheeseball and LOVE getting surprises with anything not just gifts and such. Well FIgave me the best surprise the other day. Frankfurt isn''t known for sushi but after much research we decided to try out a place in Alte Oper. That is the old opera house area which now contains a ton of high end shopping. It is known as the 5th Ave of Frankfurt since it has all the designer stores you would find in NYC. So we go there and before dinner E insists that someone told him of this awesome beer store in the area. I thought this weird because there is a great beer store near his office plus I walk around the area all the time with Darth Vader (the puppy) and know it very well and there is no beer store! I told him this, but he was insistent that there was. I was getting irritated, but tried not to show it (Fi told me later that he could tell I was annoyed and it was funny) and said fine and we started walking up the street with me protesting the entire time since I was 100% certain there was no beer store. So halfway up the block we stop in front of one of my favorite stores, Cartier, and FI turns to me and says, "this is the beer store." He wanted to get me the LOVE bracelet that I fell in love with, but thought was beyond frivolous and had stopped even mentioning because with everything happening in the economy it seemed beyond unnecessary. His surprise was wonderful because I had no idea and it was the sweetest thing. The funny thing was that the "beer store" was actually closed early for some reason, but the surprise still had the same impact. So we went the next day and he gave me the matching bracelet for the necklace he gaveme on my birthday last year

That is my story- I am just trying to stay smiling because it is tough here but I don''t want to stress him out. Thanks for listening! Happy Thanksgiving all those in the US

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Keeping my fingers crossed that you will get your application approved this time!! How do you like Frankfurt so far? I love that city!! That''s so nice of your FI to do your surprise!!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Ok, sba771, first of all I can *totally* empathize with the stresses and frustrations associated with immigration paperwork (I only just got my residency in the UK last month and it was a long, drawn-out, stressful process). I''ll keep all my toes and fingers crossed that you get approved this last time! And, how sweet is your fiance, calling Cartier ''the beer store'' to surprise you?!! Too cute!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results