color
clarity

Life with or without Sugar?

Life with or without Sugar?

• I live without sugar.

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • I should live without sugar.

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • All things in moderation - a bit of sugar is O.K.

Votes: 24 50.0%
  • I eat a lot of sugar.

Votes: 12 25.0%

• Total voters

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think anyone would argue that sugar is good for you. However, we all need our vices and I refuse to give up something I enjoy as much as chocolate.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah I agree, the new movie talks about how much hidden sugar we all, children in particular, eat. There is a growing movement (maybe a fad I am not sure) to eliminate as much sugar from our diets as possible.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I try really hard to live without sugar. For the first two weeks it's killer but after that it's not bad. I lost weight right away. I avoid most carbs except in fruit. Everything natural tastes sweeter now. I have more energy. My blood sugar went from 109 to 73.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would love to give it up. I've tried a couple of times and I last a few weeks and then something happens and I inevitably end up eating it again, having kids does NOT help.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I eat more sugar than I should.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't eat sugar intentionally, but I do eat plenty of carbs and I enjoy wine. But sugary treats and processed stuff? Nah. Sometimes I am ashamed to say I don't like chocolate. I'll eat it a few times a year (holidays=buckeyes and fudge, 3 immediate family birthdays in the spring=cake) but otherwise we don't keep sweets in the house and I don't miss it. Probably because I have wine. :lol:

I don't think I'll ever just cut it out altogether. I've been vegetarian for over 10 years now but have never been able to go vegan for longer than a week. I think it's best for me to moderate because if I restrict myself to a certain diet it's never sustainable. I like food. I like eating. I do not like feeling deprived!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AprilBaby|1416454474|3786979 said:
I try really hard to live without sugar. For the first two weeks it's killer but after that it's not bad. I lost weight right away. I avoid most carbs except in fruit. Everything natural tastes sweeter now. I have more energy. My blood sugar went from 109 to 73.
Mine is 86 and I eat a lot of sugar. Real sugar will not kill you, but those artificial flavored sweeteners will... :knockout:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I put all things in moderation. I mostly live without processed sugar, as it exacerbates my anxiety and depression. But I do eat dessert about once a week, but mostly stuff cooked by me or my parents (who also cut down the sugar), or the bakery near me (which doesn't use processed sugar but instead stuff like stevia, honey, etc, which still hits me but not as badly - and a BONUS of going to this bakery is my husband hates it so he won't steal my goodies).

I consume sugar substitutes in diet coke/coke zero... which is also bad for you, I know, but it doesn't have the immediate "I am now so anxious I am afraid to leave the office to go to the bathroom/kitchen" effects of real sugar, and it's, uh, caffeine. So, you know, moderation. Don't go crazy with any of it.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Any time you eat an starch or carbohydrate your body breaks it down into a sugar before your cells can use it. We basically run on sugar, and this is true whether you eat refined sugar or not.

I eat small amounts of refined sugar in my diet daily, and I think it's just fine in moderation.

Different forms of sugar are all basically processed the same by our bodies (white sugar, brown sugar, honey, agave nectar, corn-syrup etc.) http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/sugar-is-the-same-nutritionally-even-by-any-other-name-1.2832939

Less processed foods in our diets? Sure! Foods are generally healthier the closer they are to the form they grew in. (With some cooking to assist in nutrient recovery, depending on the food). Make food at home and then you can control exactly how much sugar, salt and fat goes in to your cooking.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not eat a lot of sugar, however, I must have lots of it in my first and only cup of coffee in the morning, and a can of normal Coke for lunch, and the odd glass of Ribena etc...

Hardly snack on sweet snacks as I prefer savoury snacks instead.

DK :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many years ago I used to be a sugar holic. I ate a roll of mentos a day. Every day. LOVED sugar. However now I only eat sugar that is already in food and never add it. Sugar in fruits for examples but I don't eat sugar the way I used to. I went cold turkey. That was the only way to break the sugar habit for me.

I do add Stevia to my black coffee and herbal tea though. Not sure if that counts...

I feel better without it and don't experience those swings I did when I was eating so much sugar all those years ago.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Everything in moderation, so while I don't necessarily think that sugar in and of itself is bad, I also wouldn't advocate eliminating it entirely. Many of us consume way too much sugar, which is made easy by our diets (processed foods). I know that I consume more than I should, but I certainly wouldn't stop eating it all together.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I eat a couple small squares of dark chocolate daily. I do eat a treat with sugar a couple times a month, but only in small doses. Too much makes me feel sick to my stomach.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our bodies need sugar which it burns as a source of energy to function so it is impossible to live life without sugar. There is naturally occurring sugar in fruits and vegetables. The point is to avoid additional sugar from processed food.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
First I don't really like sweets. I love chicolate and only eat 90% dark. When I bake for my family I use only half the amount of sugar that the recipe calls for and they do not know that I do this. What they do notice is when they have any baked goods other than mine it tastes too sweet. I do not drink soda, water down my orange juice when I have it. I drink coffee with half andvhalf and tea without sugar.

Once your taste buds adjust you will not miss the refined sugars.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
Unless you have a health condition, I don't see any reason to limit any food items.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really wish I could cut it out but man, I do live on it. I did really well doing mostly paleo for quite a few months and then the accident happened and all the wheels came right off.

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
I gave up processed foods and refined sugar last Spring. It reminded me to just be a bit more careful about what I eat. I don't have a health concern specifically, but I do feel there is too much sugar added to processed foods even when you avoid candy and pastries.

I have since moved toward a more moderate approach, but I think less sugar helps me even out my blood sugar levels throughout the day and as a result I feel better.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did give it up by cutting out sweets, desserts, pastries and candy a couple of years ago...for three whole months. My moods were more even, my skin clearer, my mind much clearer, my energy levels higher and more even. It was GREAT. I could concentrate for long periods of time. (Cutting out processed food not hard because I don't eat that stuff anyway.) But I traveled to Asia, and that was it. So I've been trying to do it again, but at nights, after dinner, I keep hoping for that treat! And when I'm stressed, my brain just goes to cookies. My hand reaches into my drawer. Even though I have fruit, I keep thinking "a chocolate chip cookie would feel soooo gooood RIGHT NOW!" I'm conditioned like a rat in a maze. I forgot what book I read, but it said that in science experiments, rats become as addicted to sugar as cocaine.

I am DETERMINED to improve my daily existence by cutting out sugar. It is an ADDICTION for me. I don't eat tons of it, but I do feel like I need "a little" every day. OK. ONE DAY AT A TIME. ONE MEAL AT A TIME.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have horrible anxiety and have been told by numerous doctors that avoiding sugar will help a lot. I stop for awhile, feel like crap, have a Hershey kiss or something, and fall back into the habit. I really do need to stop.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
makemepretty|1416587791|3787986 said:
Unless you have a health condition, I don't see any reason to limit any food items.

Just because someone may not have a "health condition" as diagnosed by a doctor, doesn't mean that certain food items shouldn't be limited. Too much of anything can be a bad thing. Many of us are considered "healthy" but that doesn't mean that we should eat as much fat, sugar, salt, partially hydrogenated oils, etc. as we want. Diet is directly related to overall health and that should be given just as much consideration as specific health conditions IMO.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a stressful time right now, with a very close family member just admitted to the hospital ER. My immediate response is a mini ice cream sandwich would be so good right now. It's not just the taste of sugar, the "good" feelings that come almost immediately after taking that first bite. I get the feeling like "everything is going to be ok" right away. Addiction. Btw, I'm drinking hot water, and telling myself I can't eat it because I am going running in an hour.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot86|1416592228|3788044 said:
I have horrible anxiety and have been told by numerous doctors that avoiding sugar will help a lot. I stop for awhile, feel like crap, have a Hershey kiss or something, and fall back into the habit. I really do need to stop.

Sometimes when I have an unhealthy craving and I don't want to give in to it (but sometimes I want to and that's OK too) I reach for a piece of sugarless gum. I know some despise chewing gum but personally it helps me to chew a piece or 2 if I feel stressed or just want to eat something bad. Maybe it will help you too.

LLJsmom, sorry about your family member and I hope everything turns out OK.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Elliot86|1416592228|3788044 said:

I understand that sugar can contribute to anxiety in the sense that it can make the body less able to handle stress, but your efforts almost sound counterproductive. What I mean is, it sounds like you actually create more anxiety by trying to avoid sugar completely. Obviously, I'm not a doctor, but if you do not have the ability to cut sugar completely out of your diet (and it causes you a fair amount of stress/anxiety trying to do so), then it would seem reasonable to think that you could allow yourself a tiny treat even now and again.
Sorry to hear the news about the ER - I hope that things are ok.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sugar. My main struggle with diet revolves around sugar. Either I'm off, or I'm on full tilt. Black & white. No grey. Right now, I'm off.

Rena7

Shiny_Rock
I would love to always only eat the most healthy, no junk food or sugar, however that is never going to happen. I try to eat sugar in moderation. One thing I do is only buy the snack size bags of candy bars that way I can have one or two now and then but I never eat a whole candy bar. I think that helps me anyway.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have type 2 diabetes, I try to stay away from sugar..I do use the artificial stuff, but I try to stay away from it as much as possible, I will however admit I cannot stay away from sweets..I will eat something sweet once in awhile, but I do get it within moderation, my blood sugar numbers do appreciate when I do stay away from carbs and sweets (carbs is harder than sweets for me)

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I prefer sugar to artificial sweetener, but I gave up most sweets (cake, ice cream, chocolate, etc.) almost two years ago. I now drink coffee and tea without sugar, which is something I never thought I'd do. I'll have the occasional piece of pie or a muffin, but it's rare. Although I also gave up pasta, I haven't given up other carbs like bread, potatoes, or rice. That would be wayyyyyy too hard.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results