color
clarity

Let's talk branded pieces...Yssie, DS, and all other fans

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Let's talk branded pieces...Yssie, DS, and all other fan

kama_s|1434290306|3889124 said:
I will come back and participate more on this thread, but I really need to get through a work deadline this morning followed by champagne brunch with friends (bubblies always takes priority!). That said, LLJsmom, if you will be obtaining your first piece in Paris, then you HAVE to get the Sevres blue porcelain! It's only sold at the Place Vendome location. The idea of getting your first piece in Paris is so romantic - I love it!

Kama. I just looked up the Sevres porcelain pieces on the website. It's gorgeous. I would worried with how I am that I would whack it on something and it would shatter, but who knows when I see it IRL. I might weaken. I do love pieces that show the texture (right word?). If I was brave enough I would love a malachite piece. But I'm a little scared of the boldness. Is that neutral enough to wear with everything? I don't think it even comes in the vintage size in the pendant. I totally agree though. It is really romantic to get a piece from the flagship store. Who would think romantic could be used to describe a piece of jewelry I get for myself?! Lol!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LLJsmom|1434418580|3889676 said:
I will come back and participate more on this thread, but I really need to get through a work deadline this morning followed by champagne brunch with friends (bubblies always takes priority!). That said, LLJsmom, if you will be obtaining your first piece in Paris, then you HAVE to get the Sevres blue porcelain! It's only sold at the Place Vendome location. The idea of getting your first piece in Paris is so romantic - I love it!

Kama. I just looked up the Sevres porcelain pieces on the website. It's gorgeous. I would worried with how I am that I would whack it on something and it would shatter, but who knows when I see it IRL. I might weaken. I do love pieces that show the texture (right word?). If I was brave enough I would love a malachite piece. But I'm a little scared of the boldness. Is that neutral enough to wear with everything? I don't think it even comes in the vintage size in the pendant. I totally agree though. It is really romantic to get a piece from the flagship store. Who would think romantic could be used to describe a piece of jewelry I get for myself?! Lol!

Completely! :appl: :bigsmile:

The malachite is beautiful, but too high-maintenance for me - apparently you have to be careful about not letting it get wet because the colour can fade, and I leave things soaking in water and forget about them all the time.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yssie|1434446709|3889781 said:

The malachite is beautiful, but too high-maintenance for me - apparently you have to be careful about not letting it get wet because the colour can fade, and I leave things soaking in water and forget about them all the time.

Uh whoa. Never occurred to me. Maybe I need to read up on care of specific stones before I decide. Back to the VCA website. Yssie, do you happen to know if MOP changes color over time or will discolor from contact with oils, etc?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yeah - I think malachite is one of the most finicky stones they offer! I know I just wouldn't enjoy wearing something so delicate. I don't think of the MOP as particularly persnickety, though. I'd treat it the way you'd handle pearls just to be safe - short washes in lukewarm water, last pieces on after lotion/perfume has been absorbed (I think if the protective coating wears off they can discolour), off before swimming or sweating, stored somewhere with some humidity - but not worry too much about it ::)

Do you prefer more or less iridescent MOP?

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

LLJsmom|1434511894|3890159 said:
Yssie|1434446709|3889781 said:

Uh whoa. Never occurred to me. Maybe I need to read up on care of specific stones before I decide. Back to the VCA website. Yssie, do you happen to know if MOP changes color over time or will discolor from contact with oils, etc?

MOP can be scratched if you store it with other items. It can discolour. I've seen old mop watch dials with hairline cracks. Delicate but durable if you take care if it. Besides VCA has good repair services. :))

I actually think oil from the body (not sure about oil from lotion or other products though) is good for keeping mop moist so that it doesn't crack.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yssie|1434379245|3889455 said:
Jambalaya I'm actually not much of a necklaces person - something about feeling anything on my neck bothers me, necklaces, turtleneck sweaters - but ITA that LLJ should get the TE butterfly!! :love: Of the three she posted pics of it's my favourite :halo:

I completely understand not being comfortable with the discrepancy between sale price and cost of materials used. For me there is value (re-sale, mostly, is my top concern) in the brand name, and I personally value the brand name enough that it compensates for enough of that discrepancy to be "worth" buying (I can reconcile semi-precious gemstones but not wood and man-made materials, though I still enjoy reading about the history of the Sevres porcelain and letterwood :)) ) but I can certainly see that another person might feel very differently.

Having spent a ton of time stalking VCA threads on the other forum I can safely say that I am not cut out to be a high-end shopper either :bigsmile: I do agree with LLJ - you should buy whatever you like best, for whatever reasons. And I agree - Tiffany has some gorgeous pieces, and their heritage is as rich and fascinating as anyone could ask for ::)

Thanks, Yssie!

Ah, the tiger eye is on LLJsmom. It looks fab on her! By the way, I love your Carrera earrings!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium

LLJsmom|1434344084|3889339 said:
Jambalaya|1434327286|3889283 said:
I think the VCA MOP pieces and the other materials are very pretty, such as the malachite and onyx. I really like the tiger eye butterfly and think it looks amazing on Yssie - and all her other lovely pieces, too! Yssie, you need to get that tiger eye pendant. I mean, yum.

I think - for me - it would be too much money for non-precious materials. But they are lovely. I really like the carnelian pieces, but even $1600 for the clover carnelian pendant is just too steep for me since it isn't sparkly. I guess I would buy it if I loved it enough, though.

I always considered myself as much a branded-jewelry lover as anyone else, but for some reason the majority of the Cartier pieces just don't do it for me, although I think they look lovely on others. I like the Trinity range, and my three Cartier items, and I like two of their watches, and that's about it. That's lucky for my wallet, isn't it! I just find that, compared to Tiffany, Cartier doesn't have that many products in comparison. It's easier to find something to my taste at Tiffany simply because they have so much more. And also, don't laugh, but I find I like a lot of the products at Blue Nile. They have such a variety of designs, and amazing sales! I don't think I'm really cut out to be a very high-end shopper. :(sad

Jambalaya, I think it's just what appeals to you. :) You love what you love. Enjoy it all, from Blue Nile (which does have some amazing deals!) to Tiffany. You should be happy you aren't tempted by the $47K necklaces at VCA. :lol: Tiffany is nothing to sneeze at. Their solid cuffs are very pricey, and I seldom look at anything with diamonds in them, cause to me those are way beyond my price point. :) All beautiful stuff, all good.

Thanks, LLJsmom! Yes, I'm grateful not to be coveting 47k necklaces, for sure! :wavey:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

My wonderful, smart, stylish enablers!! I NEED a signed piece like I need a hole in the head, but my perma-love-bracelet NEEDS a sister signed piece. And the winner is...

http://www.vancleefarpels.com/us/en/collections/jewelry/alhambra/vintage-alhambra/vcara45800-vintage-alhambra-pendant.html

VCA vintage alhambra pendant in yellow gold and onyx. She won't compete with her sister love bracelet. She will complement her "love"ly sister - both buttery warm yellow gold...

First - pray that the potential buyer signs that contract for sale of the apartment so that I can get muh monies back and financial affairs in order again, and then start saving for muh new "precious"...

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

PintoBean|1434743255|3891442 said:
My wonderful, smart, stylish enablers!! I NEED a signed piece like I need a hole in the head, but my perma-love-bracelet NEEDS a sister signed piece. And the winner is...

http://www.vancleefarpels.com/us/en/collections/jewelry/alhambra/vintage-alhambra/vcara45800-vintage-alhambra-pendant.html

VCA vintage alhambra pendant in yellow gold and onyx. She won't compete with her sister love bracelet. She will complement her "love"ly sister - both buttery warm yellow gold...

First - pray that the potential buyer signs that contract for sale of the apartment so that I can get muh monies back and financial affairs in order again, and then start saving for muh new "precious"...

Well, PintoBean, allow me to assist with that hole... :Up_to_something:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-V...993?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41983c58e9

At this price, I wonder if it's authentic?? Nevermind. Seller has NO reviews. Knew it was too good to be true.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Van-Cleef-A...420?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35ec4cf62c

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just out of interest, why is it that preloved VCA pieces appear to be priced very similarly to the new ones? I wonder if anyone actually buys them second hand? I think I'd be happier purchasing directly from the makers, at least you'd have some warranty, I expect?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I hope your apt sale goes well Pinto!! A pendant like the one you're thinking about would be a lovely celebration piece :love:

Snowdrop - honestly, I agree with you. Sometimes you'll find well-priced preloved pieces at reputable secondary-market sellers, consignment vendors, and eBay marketers (the pendant LLJ found seems like a good price) that I would be comfortable buying from, but w/ the VCA Alhambra line in particular there usually doesn't seem to be much incentive to buy pre-loved unless you live in a country without a VCA boutique! I see 5-10k pieces listed for a few hundred off retail all the time... And for that price I would definitely prefer to buy new and be absolutely sure of authenticity, be able to take advantage of having any adjustments made for free, etc. I think with other lines - the less popular styles, the higher-end designs, the retired pieces - there's less to worry about in terms of authenticity because they just aren't nearly as commonly replicated and the pre-loved prices make a more compelling argument.

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock

This was fun to read on PS! I love seeing all the pics - and hearing the confessions of not-so-secret brand love!
I've had an ongoing thing for the VCA Alhambra line since I realized my mom had a piece in the '70s. To me it has a very warm, easy, elegant vibe. I find most of the pieces are also really wearable even in my daily casual mode.
I opted for the vintage 20 necklace in PG for my last birthday. The all gold was my nod to practicality because I have the same durability concerns as everyone else - but I am tempted by the malachite and carnelian whenever I visit a boutique. Included a compilation of what I wear most often...I also wear a perlee band as a wedding band most days. :shifty:

_31385.jpg

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock

LLJsmom|1434158161|3888608 said:
Hi Yssie, I just got it and love it more every minute. I didn't at first. Yes that is how I am going wear it, stacked with my tennis and Hermes cuff. So I gotta admit. Just reading your post made go to the VCA store, 7 blocks from my office! Dangerous. So since getting my little sweet, (and it's more green in the pic bc I took it under lamp light. Outside its more Easter egg blue.). I'm already craving a necklace. So I had to go try some on.

I thought I liked the lucky butterfly in mop but the size is actually a little big to my eye. I kinda love the size of the vintage clover in mop. Never thought I would be so traditional. Let me know what u think.

The little butterfly was my first choice until I wore it on my wrist. Gotta go bigger. ;-)

And they actually have a bracelet that fits me. The perlee which I actually am liking in rose gold comes in a very small 15, must smaller than the JUC 15. I'm very tempted by it!!

LLJsmom,
I also wanted to say I think the vintage clover looks exceptionally good on you.
(I have one and I can say it's a great piece and definitely looks better on you!)

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Such beautiful pieces! :$$): I'm coming round to the plain gold option too after all the discussion about how hard wearing some of he stones are.

Can someone tell me, are the motifs double sided?

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock

Snowdrop13|1435065241|3893018 said:
Such beautiful pieces! :$$): I'm coming round to the plain gold option too after all the discussion about how hard wearing some of he stones are.

Can someone tell me, are the motifs double sided?
I believe they are double sided in the vintage range. But the pave has a beautiful honeycomb underside, and sadly not double sided which would be incredible. I am not sure about the other lines - magic, etc....The sweets are double in bracelets anyway.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm about to purchase my 1st VCA piece (thanks to DH) so I need some help please!

Thoughts from my fellow PS'ers as to what I should get first? Here are my choices:

--Vintage MOP Alhambra 5 motif WG bracelet
--Vintage MOP Alhambra WG pendant
--Vintage MOP Alhambra WG earclips
--Sweet MOP Alhambra earstuds

I eventually want the Vintage MOP Alhambra 10 or 20 motif necklace but that will have to wait for a bit! Any help appreciated on what will get worn the most, especially as a matching set eventually. TIA! :wavey:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

m-2-b|1435080966|3893108 said:
I'm about to purchase my 1st VCA piece (thanks to DH) so I need some help please!

Thoughts from my fellow PS'ers as to what I should get first? Here are my choices:

--Vintage MOP Alhambra 5 motif WG bracelet
--Vintage MOP Alhambra WG pendant
--Vintage MOP Alhambra WG earclips
--Sweet MOP Alhambra earstuds

I eventually want the Vintage MOP Alhambra 10 or 20 motif necklace but that will have to wait for a bit! Any help appreciated on what will get worn the most, especially as a matching set eventually. TIA! :wavey:

m2b, my question is what will you wear the most? Or, maybe this is not a piece you would wear often? Will it be a special occasion piece? Do you want to be able to see it while you wear it?

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium

LLJsmom--I'd like to have an alternate set to my diamond pieces. I will always be wearing my ER/wedding band so everything else is interchangeable. I love looking at bracelets but worry about durability of MOP on the wrist? Earrings are always a favorite but DS told me the Sweet earstuds are pretty small and I'm not sure on the comfort level of the Vintage earclips?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

m-2-b|1435084305|3893133 said:
LLJsmom--I'd like to have an alternate set to my diamond pieces. I will always be wearing my ER/wedding band so everything else is interchangeable. I love looking at bracelets but worry about durability of MOP on the wrist? Earrings are always a favorite but DS told me the Sweet earstuds are pretty small and I'm not sure on the comfort level of the Vintage earclips?

I too would be worried about 5 MOPs flopping around on my wrist. That's just me cause I'm really practical. But maybe you are more careful about your jewelry. And I do think it would look FABULOUS on you. Really. You could carry it off.

I wouldn't do the sweet b/c I just get the feel that the small size just would not be congruent with your blingy ering. Just a feeling.

I think the earclips would look the best on you. However, comfort is a question. Can you try it on? If you order on line, can you exchange? Actually, maybe you can order it without the clip part. I think they can make changes like that, except that it may take more time. YOu know. It may be a special order. They had suggested that they could put a platinum post for me b/c I can't tolerate anything else. Just an idea...

The necklace would be my second choice.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am going to go and actually try them on before purchasing anything, especially the earclips. I am particularly worried about the weight and any pinching sensation w/ the earclips.

The pendant would be nice but would I still wear it if I got one of the other longer Vintage MOP necklaces down the line?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

m-2-b|1435087578|3893155 said:
I am going to go and actually try them on before purchasing anything, especially the earclips. I am particularly worried about the weight and any pinching sensation w/ the earclips.

The pendant would be nice but would I still wear it if I got one of the other longer Vintage MOP necklaces down the line?

My impression is that the longer Vintage MOP necklaces are much more of a statement piece. If I had one, I wouldn't wear it every day. Maybe once a week. The single vintage pendant is more casual. You could wear it daily. It's neutral enough to go with anything. And it's not so huge that you can't layer it with other necklaces.

So if I had two, the longer piece (and I'm assuming you mean the ones with multiple motifs) would kind of have a different purpose than the single pendant.

The weight would worry me too. But of course you really can't know until you try it on. And they would probably be able to make it without the earclips! I hope so!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Harpertoo|1435044244|3892965 said:
This was fun to read on PS! I love seeing all the pics - and hearing the confessions of not-so-secret brand love!
I've had an ongoing thing for the VCA Alhambra line since I realized my mom had a piece in the '70s. To me it has a very warm, easy, elegant vibe. I find most of the pieces are also really wearable even in my daily casual mode.
I opted for the vintage 20 necklace in PG for my last birthday. The all gold was my nod to practicality because I have the same durability concerns as everyone else - but I am tempted by the malachite and carnelian whenever I visit a boutique. Included a compilation of what I wear most often...I also wear a perlee band as a wedding band most days. :shifty:

LOVE your pieces, Harpertoo!!!! That pink gold necklace is fabulous!!!! :love: :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The vintage earrings are not heavy at all, at least not in the onyx which is what I most recently tried on. I did not feel they pinched me, either, but of course, I also didn't wear them all day! I don't think you'd really feel weight in these. Many people have the two and three clover drops, like Yssie, and she can speak to how heavy those are. But I do not consider the single motif vintage earrings to be heavy. Neither were the larger Magic ones.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

They're beautiful :love:

The PG goes so well with your colouring - (belated) happy birthday!! I'd love to see a family pic of your pieces ::)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

M2B - to be honest if you know you definitely want a vintage 10/20 motif I'd say just skip the other pieces and get that one sooner than later ::) VCA seems to hike prices twice a year, and since the Alhambra line didn't see any increase earlier this year I'm guessing we have until the next one (in late summer/early autumn) to jump on current retail...

ETA: I tried on the vintage clips and like DS didn't find them uncomfortable or overly heavy at all :)) My issue with them was that one of my ears faces more forward than the other, so if you're standing right in front of me you can see different amounts of the underside of the clip :sick: Not that ANYONE but me, looking in a mirror, would EVER notice that!! I actually had VCA adjust my three-motif drops so that one side is propped to face forward more, and they did a wonderful job on the adjustment (and you know how nitpicky I am... :bigsmile: )

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yssie|1435097861|3893222 said:
M2B - to be honest if you know you definitely want a vintage 10/20 motif I'd say just skip the other pieces and get that one sooner than later ::) VCA seems to hike prices twice a year, and since the Alhambra line didn't see any increase earlier this year I'm guessing we have until the next one (in late summer/early autumn) to jump on current retail...

ETA: I tried on the vintage clips and like DS didn't find them uncomfortable or overly heavy at all :)) My issue with them was that one of my ears faces more forward than the other, so if you're standing right in front of me you can see different amounts of the underside of the clip :sick: Not that ANYONE but me, looking in a mirror, would EVER notice that!! I actually had VCA adjust my three-motif drops so that one side is propped to face forward more, and they did a wonderful job on the adjustment (and you know how nitpicky I am... :bigsmile: )

Hi Yssie! DH is offering a VCA piece that will not come out of my bling fund so I'm going to take him up on his offer before he changes his mind! The Vintage 10/20 motif necklace is way out of what he will spend at one time so I'm willing to save up for that one, but it is lower on my wish list. I'm hoping to get one piece now and another piece by Christmas for a matching Vintage MOP set. Which of the pieces will be most likely be marked up w/in the next few months in your opinion? That may ultimately effect which one I get 1st! Good to know that the earclips are not uncomfortable to wear all day. I hope I don't have the same earlobe issue as you when I try them on, lol!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Harpertoo|1435044826|3892966 said:
Hi Yssie, I just got it and love it more every minute. I didn't at first. Yes that is how I am going wear it, stacked with my tennis and Hermes cuff. So I gotta admit. Just reading your post made go to the VCA store, 7 blocks from my office! Dangerous. So since getting my little sweet, (and it's more green in the pic bc I took it under lamp light. Outside its more Easter egg blue.). I'm already craving a necklace. So I had to go try some on.

LLJsmom,
I also wanted to say I think the vintage clover looks exceptionally good on you.
(I have one and I can say it's a great piece and definitely looks better on you!)

Thank you Harpertoo! Do you wear your vintage MOP often? Has it held up? Your pieces are just stunning on you. What a beautiful collection. And I just love the yg love bracelet on you. I could only dream of such pieces.

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock

LLJsmom|1435106773|3893278 said:
Harpertoo|1435044826|3892966 said:

LLJsmom,

Thank you Harpertoo! Do you wear your vintage MOP often? Has it held up? Your pieces are just stunning on you. What a beautiful collection. And I just love the yg love bracelet on you. I could only dream of such pieces.

Thanks for the compliment - my Love is actually RG - probably could use a little cleaning, huh!

I wear the MOP bracelet in spurts. It's been about 10 years and I think it's held up beautifully. My MOP pendant probably gets the least wear, but I wear MOP or onyx sweets 24/7 for months at a time and they're in fine shape. I'd love to try the dangling earrings similar to Yssie's, but I need my spouse with me to keep a level head if I go try on those beauties!

I also am quite enamoured with the long pendant that can be doubled as a choker. The size is lovely and I love the length.

Incidentally, I think the last price increase was in March or April and it was around 11% if I remember correctly. I don't think it was just in EU, but perhaps it was given the EU/CHF/USD relationships.

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock

Yssie said:

They're beautiful :love:

The PG goes so well with your colouring - (belated) happy birthday!! I'd love to see a family pic of your pieces ::)

Thanks Yssie!
One of these days I'll try a family shot - maybe if I get something next month in Paris. I'm intrigued by the Place Vendôme's sèvres porcelain. At least I'd like to see some in person.

diamondseeker2006|1435093013|3893196 said:

LOVE your pieces, Harpertoo!!!! That pink gold necklace is fabulous!!!! :love: :appl:

Thanks DS!

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium

*thud*

That was the sound of my jaw dropping on the floor! Your pieces are exquisite! PG looks great against your complexion, and I love the Love stacked with your MOP 5-motif. Beautiful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results