shape
carat
color
clarity

Let''s play Pick a Pup!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I need help figuring out IF and WHAT KIND of dog to get. Our son will be 3 in Feb, so I''m not sure if he''s ready to have a pup (or my attention being on something other than him...) so I need the pros and cons of pups and little ones.

I''m actually allergic to dogs although I''ve put up with it most of my life. I realize some dogs are "hypoallergenic" and that may be the route I need to go.

I''ve had (growing up) St Bernards, Blood hounds, Coon dogs, German Shepherd, lab, chow, something that I think was a Pekinese mutt, and a terrier mutt. None of them seem to be the kind of dog I''m looking for. However, we bred dogs and had working dogs (hunting) so I don''t know if the dog was more of a "pet" if I''d have the same inclination.

We need a dog that can manage on its own (although I''m a SAHM so I''ll be around), preferably non-shedding (!) or at least non-stinking (yes, I know a dog will roll in anything it finds). Our house is small so probably a smaller dog, although we have a good sized yard for a bigger dog.

Obviously manners are taught, but I''d prefer a dog that doesn''t have a bad reputation. (please hold all of the "it''s the owner with a bad reputation", because I''m not taking chances when I have a toddler in the house.)

I''m thinking of having a kennel in the basement so I need a dog that would be comfortable with sleeping away from us. (the basement isn''t an "icky" basement, it''s got a family room in it--albeit concrete floor and piped ceilings). This would be to avoid any unmonitored time with our son and to avoid accidents upstairs.

I live in an easy walking neighborhood and close to parks and even farms for extra fun. But, it''s IL, so we get some rough winters.

I guess most of my issues go along with having a child in the house. We always had dogs as children (usually many at one time), and though they were trained really well and we knew how to behave with a dog, there were still injuries to all of us kids (all in the face). I know this is because a dog is an animal first, a friend second. But, I''d like to avoid the facial lacerations at all costs (even if it means waiting a couple years).

Any input is welcome!! TIA!

1.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly, it sounds like you should wait a couple of years. You say you need a dog that can manage on it's own, but puppies obviously take a TON of time to train. So I'd wait until you have some spare time so that you can properly train the pup and that way you'll have a MUCH higher chance of having a well behaved dog than if you don't have time to train it now. I think that's the easiest way to avoid issues between dogs and kids.

And you say the dogs you had as kids weren't what you wanted in a dog. What DO you want in a dog besides good with kids and non-shedding? Cuddly? Aloof? Playful? Thinking about this for awhile will help you narrow down your selection.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2008 11:24:36 PM
Author: neatfreak

And you say the dogs you had as kids weren''t what you wanted in a dog. What DO you want in a dog besides good with kids and non-shedding? Cuddly? Aloof? Playful? Thinking about this for awhile will help you narrow down your selection.

I don''t necessarily need a puppy. I want to hear from those who''ve adopted adult dogs, too. I have the time to train a dog, I just don''t want to give ALL of my time to a dog.

And, I like most dogs. All of the dogs I had as a kid and before we had a kid were great. I''ve only met two dogs that I didn''t like (and both time because they were badly trained). But, because I''m so open with breeds, I figured I''d narrow it down first by which breed would be good with kids.

I may need to wait a couple years, but there may be a dog that''s right for us now.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2008 11:30:22 PM
Author: somethingshiny
Date: 12/8/2008 11:24:36 PM

And you say the dogs you had as kids weren''t what you wanted in a dog. What DO you want in a dog besides good with kids and non-shedding? Cuddly? Aloof? Playful? Thinking about this for awhile will help you narrow down your selection.

I don''t necessarily need a puppy. I want to hear from those who''ve adopted adult dogs, too. I have the time to train a dog, I just don''t want to give ALL of my time to a dog.

And, I like most dogs. All of the dogs I had as a kid and before we had a kid were great. I''ve only met two dogs that I didn''t like (and both time because they were badly trained). But, because I''m so open with breeds, I figured I''d narrow it down first by which breed would be good with kids.

I may need to wait a couple years, but there may be a dog that''s right for us now.

I didn''t say you didn''t like the dogs, but just that they weren''t what you wanted. So it''s important to figure out what you DO want.

I have two rescue dogs and I think they are wonderful. But it took a lot of time to get them here. I''m not sure about the humane society these days, but most rescue groups won''t adopt dogs to people with small children, so it''s something to make sure to ask if you find a rescue you think you might want to adopt.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I know you didn''t say I didn''t like dogs. I just meant that''s why I can''t seem to narrow it down on my own.

We only have one shelter around here, and they only have cats. The last two dogs I got were from a vet''s office.

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
We have 2 boxers. They are awesome family dogs and are great with children. We''ve had Dixie (6 years old) since she was a puppy and adopted Buster (3 yrs old) last year from a rescue shelter. I have a 22 month old little girl and they are so gentle with her. Even when she''s saying, "Ride Buster?" She climbs on his back and wants him to walk around like he''s a horse. It''s so cute!

I''m also a SAHM. For part of the day, they stay outside and I think they enjoy the peace and quiet away from my daughter! Boxers are big and muscular but think they''re small enough to crawl on your lap. They''re basically 70 pound babies! They need to be exercised or they can be a little destructive.
27.gif

If a Boxer is something you might consider, feel free to ask any questions!

Here are my 2 babies...

dixiebustersanta.jpg

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I'm completely unfamiliar with Boxers. I don't think I've ever met one. What are they like? What do they like? Are they happier when they have another dog?

eta~cute Christmas attire!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback and adore him! He is the best dog. He''s totally low maintenance, doesn''t stink (except for farts
38.gif
39.gif
), doesn''t shed, doesn''t bark, and is a love bug.

DH started in about wanting a dog when our boys were 3 and 6. He thought they needed a pal to grow up with. First he wanted a Great Dane. I vetoed that. My aunt had them when I was a child and all I remembered was that they don''t live very long. Then it was an Argentine Dogo. I found that they can be a bit aggressive and vetoed that breed as well. I gave hubby a few guidelines. The dog couldn''t stink or shed, it had to have a mild personality, be affectionate and not a one person dog, AND - most importantly - it had to weigh less than me. DH found the Rhodesian and we began researching breeders. The breed meets all of my requirements...Well, for the most part. Rook is 9 now and he isn''t as slim as he used to be. He now weighs more than me!

He''s really been an outstanding pet. He (and the breed in general) does like warm weather so I don''t know how he would do in the cold all the time. Rook has been to Mammoth with us and loves the snow. Maybe it wouldn''t be an issue. Anyway, he can stay inside the house all day long. He never has accidents.

I can only think of one warning. He was a rather naughty puppy. For 18 mos. it took a lot of patience. I told DH I would have 10 more babies before ONE more puppy! I love babies, though, so take that with a grain of salt!
28.gif

When you do serious dog hunting have a look at the Rhodesians. If you don''t want to deal with the *excitement* of a puppy perhaps you can find a rescue dog that has been brought up with kids in the home!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
The first time I heard of a Rhodesian I was under the impression they were too big to be in the house and too active. So, I'm glad to hear another perspective.

And, I think what you said summed it up nicely for us, "The dog couldn't stink or shed, it had to have a mild personality, be affectionate and not a one person dog". I just didn't realize it until I read it!

I like the "mild personality". I don't want extremely high strung or a floor mat.

eta~ also DH's favorite dog is a dalmation, and the Rhodesians remind me of them.

eta2~ I also want to avoid a dog with serious health concerns. I don't require a long life span, but I don't want to have a dog whose health deteriorates for 3 years either.

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/9/2008 12:07:22 AM
I''m completely unfamiliar with Boxers. I don''t think I''ve ever met one. What are they like? What do they like? Are they happier when they have another dog?

eta~cute Christmas attire!
Boxers are silly, goofy, sweet, loving, energetic, and a weeee bit stubborn. They snore, fart
23.gif
, and when they wag their tails, their entire body wiggles in excitement.

Our boxers sleep a lot, but they have sudden bursts of energy and like to play fetch or just run around like maniacs. They love going on walks and LOVE to play with children. Dixie loves to chase Lily (our daughter) around the house licking her from head to toe. (We only allow this before bath time when we can thoroughly wash her with plenty of soap
3.gif
)

As far as being happier with another dog, I''m not sure. When we had just Dixie, she was totally fine until we had Lily. She''s been happier since we adopted Buster. But, I''m quite sure that Buster would be just as happy if he were the only dog in the house. There are a bunch of other Boxer owners on PS, maybe someone else will chime in.

My neighbors have 2 GoldenDoodles, which are hypo-allergenic. They''ve been trained as therapy dogs and go to hospitals and nursing homes regularly and literally work miracles just by being sweet doggies.
17.gif
They are also amazing with children. I''m not sure if it''s common with the breed, but one my neighbor''s dogs is an incessant barker! The other is super quiet unless he thinks there might be an intruder.

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I too, have allergies to pet hair and dander but have always LOVED dogs (had dogs growing up, but developed allergies after my first child).

We have a cocker-poodle mix. He doesn''t shed, nor stink and is smart as a whip. The breed is great with children and can be happy in your lap, as a couch potato but also always ready to play with my kids (except hide n seek, which he is darned good at that my kids refuse to play that with him anymore). He''s about 20 lbs of goofy and curly coat. He was easy to house break and never really went through a puppy stage - always been good and never destroyed anything (although he has had the occassional accident).

However, it may be challenging to confine any dog in an area of your home for long periods of time. As you know, they are pack animals and would really love nothing more than to follow you around the house.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have two Bichon Frises. They are hypo allergeic. They are fun and loving dogs, so loyal. I dont think they could manage sleeping in the basement. Mine sleep next to us. Casper is always right next to me, and Callie is usually near hubby. I think you need more time with this..... JMHO.

Honey228

Shiny_Rock
Bf and I have been watching Dogs 101. Great show for people wanting to research dog breeds or just dog lovers in general. Specifically reviews things like health, best home environment, grooming, ease of training, suitability for families, etc. So far, I believe that Newfoundlands were voted best for families with small children, hands down. (like "Nana" in Peter Pan)

Rhodesian Ridgebacks looked awesome. Bf and I were very impressed. But they seemed to need a LOT of exercise.

happyfeet1988

Shiny_Rock
I know you said you had a lab as a kid, and it wasn''t what you''re looking for, but I had to throw my opinion out there. My fiance and I have a black lab that is about a year and a half old. He is wonderful, and he brings so much joy to our lives. He is serious and then has his moments of total silliness. He is still rambunctious, but calms right down around kids. But, any dog needs to be exercised properly and paid a lot of attention to. I think you need to spend as much time with a rescue dog as with a puppy, so they feel secure in your house. My dog is from a breeder, which is not the right choice for everyone, and next time we get a dog we might consider adopting. I also think dogs want to be near you. Our dog would not do well to staying in the basement in a crate by himself while we are upstairs, but that isn''t every dog. I think one thing came to my mind when I read your post: if you have a lot of doubts about getting a dog, you probably aren''t ready. It should be a for sure want, not just a maybe.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/9/2008 12:14:25 AM
The first time I heard of a Rhodesian I was under the impression they were too big to be in the house and too active. So, I'm glad to hear another perspective.

And, I think what you said summed it up nicely for us, 'The dog couldn't stink or shed, it had to have a mild personality, be affectionate and not a one person dog'. I just didn't realize it until I read it!

I like the 'mild personality'. I don't want extremely high strung or a floor mat.

eta~ also DH's favorite dog is a dalmation, and the Rhodesians remind me of them.

eta2~ I also want to avoid a dog with serious health concerns. I don't require a long life span, but I don't want to have a dog whose health deteriorates for 3 years either.
I'm not sure what you mean here. Any dog could have serious health concerns. I'm tempted to recommend greyhounds to you -- they don't stink, or shed, and have lovely sweet, mild temperments, don't require lots of exercise, are known as 45 mph couch potatoes and are all around wonderful pets. You likely have an adoption group nearby. Groups can be great because you can let them know what you're looking for and they can help find a dog to meet your requirements, not sure how they will feel about the basement sleeping though, although I think you'll probably change your mind about this in time.

One of my two greyhounds, however, suffers from a neurological condition that he was diagnosed with at age 2. I am only aware of one other greyhound that suffered from this condition. Unfortunately, I don't think you can know whether your dog will be healthy or not when you adopt.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
What about a golden-doodle? Our neighbors had one and it was such a great dog! I also think they don't shed much (like poodles), so they're better if you have allergies.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have a labrador and a labradoodle. The doodle is a puppy and a complete nightmare! She cries, eats her own poo, jumps up and chews everything! Typical puppy behaviour. We love her loads but she can be extremely trying! We have a 4 year old son who just doesn''t understand when to leave her alone. She has growled at him a couple of times and snapped at his face when she got over excited. We were in the room at the time, we never leave them alone together. The labrador is an angel. She has perfect manners and is very obedient. She is very patient with James. In fact he once fell asleep laid on her and she didn''t move till we moved him off. She barks if she hears a strange noise but thats no bad thing. She isn''t food aggressive or jumpy. I love her so much!

If you really want a dog then you must think carefully about your son. He is the human here and he deserves to come first (not saying you won''t put him first of course). Sometimes our need to have a pet can come first and that isn''t right for the humans in the house. If you have allergies I would spend some time round the breed of your choice before you bring it home. Especially if you are going to get a rescue dog. It would be unfair on the dog for you to bring it to your house and then have to return it.

Dogs can bring you a lot of joy as long as its done properly and thought through.

Good luck in finding the pet you want.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2008 12:07:28 PM
Author: Maisie
We have a labrador and a labradoodle. The doodle is a puppy and a complete nightmare! She cries, eats her own poo, jumps up and chews everything! Typical puppy behaviour. We love her loads but she can be extremely trying! We have a 4 year old son who just doesn''t understand when to leave her alone. She has growled at him a couple of times and snapped at his face when she got over excited. We were in the room at the time, we never leave them alone together. The labrador is an angel. She has perfect manners and is very obedient. She is very patient with James. In fact he once fell asleep laid on her and she didn''t move till we moved him off. She barks if she hears a strange noise but thats no bad thing. She isn''t food aggressive or jumpy. I love her so much!

Exactly why you can''t generalize about breeds, as I have a friend with both a lab and a labradoodle and the lab is the annoying disobedient dog! We also have a labradoodle, but he''s great as long as he gets enough exercise, which is key for him.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I did say that Lottie is trying because she is a puppy. I wasn''t generalising. I''m sure Blossom was the same when she was little.
1.gif

cbs102

Brilliant_Rock
growing up i had a golden retriever and she was THE most amazing dog. great with children, wonderful disposition, beautifull... however she did shed so i guess that is out..

my aunt has a Bouvier.. they are hypoallergenic and apparantly very smart..they named him darwin.. although they are funny looking!

April20

Ideal_Rock
We have a two year old yorkie-poodle mix that we adopted at 1 yr. He was already housebroken, so we didn''t have to deal with that part. He is "hypo-allergenic" and doesn''t shed. DH tends to have allergies towards animals and has never had an issue with this pup. We do need to send him to doggie traning school for basic commands- he knows many things, but prefers to do them on his own terms. (not a big deal in the big picture, but nothing like telling him to "sit" and he refuses, only to do see him do it instantly if there''s a treat to be had)

He loves to be with us and does require some attention. We usually have a good bout of throw the rope/baby/ball nightly. He usually suckers DH more than he does me- literally placing his rope on DH''s feet when he comes in and sits to take his shoes off. He''s also content to just be or play on his own, which is also nice. We don''t have kids, but we take him when we go visit my family and he LOVES my infant nieces. For what it''s worth, we''re not home during the day and he''s had no issues with being left alone. We used to crate him, but quit about 6 or 7 months ago- he has free range of the house and we have no issues.

That being said.....

Every dog is different and some are easier than others. A few years ago I adopted an older dog and he was much more work than this one. He had bad habits and was not housebroken, though I was told he was. It was a mess (still loved the little beast though). We got a much better dog this time around.

Just make sure you really want a dog and are prepared for everything it will require before you get one. I got the dog I currently have because the family that had him got him on a "whim" and after six months of having him, realized they really didn''t want him.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2008 12:23:26 PM
I did say that Lottie is trying because she is a puppy. I wasn't generalising. I'm sure Blossom was the same when she was little.
1.gif

Sorry Maisie, I didn't mean you! I just meant that everyone always talks about how a breed is wonderful because their dog is, and I was just pointing out that it isn't always the breed that makes the dog.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2008 12:14:25 AM
The first time I heard of a Rhodesian I was under the impression they were too big to be in the house and too active. So, I''m glad to hear another perspective.

And, I think what you said summed it up nicely for us, ''The dog couldn''t stink or shed, it had to have a mild personality, be affectionate and not a one person dog''. I just didn''t realize it until I read it!

I like the ''mild personality''. I don''t want extremely high strung or a floor mat.

eta~ also DH''s favorite dog is a dalmation, and the Rhodesians remind me of them.

eta2~ I also want to avoid a dog with serious health concerns. I don''t require a long life span, but I don''t want to have a dog whose health deteriorates for 3 years either.
Hahaha! The highlighted part made me LOL! This dog is super low energy. OTOH, he''s always down for a run with DH or the boys. He''s very fit for as much time as he spends sleeping! He''s big, to be sure, but, he''s never in the way or under foot.

I second luvmyhalo. Boxers are fab dogs, too. I really want to look at them when we get a new pup.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I''d start with one of those big ol'' dog encyclopedias on all dog breeds and just read it cover-to-cover so you can narrow down the breeds you should consider. Once you get to that point, maybe you can contact the local breed clubs for information on breeeders in your area that you can visit...breeders will often place young adults who they had considered for showing, but didn''t work out for one reason or another.

I''d also recommend just going to your local shelter and choosing a dog based on that individual dog''s character. I always feel like this is the best bet for those who are open to several breeds, but have a certain type of temperament in mind. You can generalize breeds, but it absolutely does come down to the individual dog.

So long as you are committed to exercising the dog every day and incorporating the dog into your family, then it sounds like you are ready to take the next steps! Good luck!

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
We had beagles and they are great with kids, they do their own thing, they are lovable and they are great hunters. We had 2 and they were the best dogs I ever had. I really wish I could have one but FFI says not yet....

I loved ours though. They are also generally really easy to train.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2008 12:43:20 PM

Date: 12/9/2008 12:23:26 PM
I did say that Lottie is trying because she is a puppy. I wasn''t generalising. I''m sure Blossom was the same when she was little.
1.gif

Sorry Maisie, I didn''t mean you! I just meant that everyone always talks about how a breed is wonderful because their dog is, and I was just pointing out that it isn''t always the breed that makes the dog.
No problems! I know what you mean now! Each dog is different and they will behave differently. Or not behave at all in the case of Lottie!
9.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I fully agree with NEL that you might want to check out shelter dogs. If temperment is the most important, it will help to get a slightly older dog who has already developed a personality. No matter what breed it is, you can always end up with the dog that doesn''t fit the mold and if it''s a puppy you may not know for a year what its adult personality is really like. Often shelters will introduce your family to the dog and make absolutely sure that it will get along with your son (or as sure as you can be). You''ll likely know if the dog is hyperactive or quiet, etc, and you won''t have to go through all of the puppy times with chewing and things. I love puppies and hope to have one of my own some day soon, but with your busy life and a young child, going straight to an older dog might be the answer. You could still get one less than a year old that has some of the puppy characteristics.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Shiny...no offense, bc I'm sure you didn't mean these to sound as I took them, but your statements:

#1) I'm thinking of having a kennel in the basement so I need a dog that would be comfortable with sleeping away from us. (the basement isn't an "icky" basement, it's got a family room in it--albeit concrete floor and piped ceilings). This would be to avoid any unmonitored time with our son and to avoid accidents upstairs.
#2) You want a dog that can manage on its own
#3) and that you don't want it to "stink" (haha, I know people don't generally look for stinky dogs)

*****seem to say to me that you shouldn't have a dog. sorry.
emotion-40.gif
I would really think long and hard here****

I understand that people don't want a dog in bed with them, but dogs are pack animals and they want to be around you..if you're that scared of accidents and time with your son that you're going to keep a dog isolated in your concrete family room, that's a red flag to me. Also, dogs can't "manage on their own"...I know what you're saying is that maybe you want a somewhat independent dog, but again, it's still a huge red flag to me. I know you've said you've been around dogs before, but maybe spend some more time thinking ...best of luck MMM

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Okay, first things first.

I''ve only spent great deals of time with "working" dogs. Many of you are probably not familiar with that. These dogs are made to be what they''re BRED to be. That means if a dog is bred to be a hunter, that''s what he does. If he''s bred to be a watchdog, that''s what he does. There is no "petting" of these dogs unless it''s during training or a "job" well done. As a child our MEALS depended on our dogs! But, at the same time, they weren''t welcome in bed because that takes the "worker" out of them. This may seem heartless to some, but this is what I''m used to. When I say I need a dog that can "manage on his own", I mean a dog that though it may not be ideal, will still sleep in the basement. (btw~ nearly every dog I know sleeps in the basement or at least on a different level than the family).

This is why I''m asking for help. I''ve only had two dogs that were pets and that was in high school and before we had a child. Both of them were dogs I saved from getting put down at the vet. Neither were ideal, both had issues which is why they were getting put down to begin with. However, I took them, trained them, loved them, and lived with them. I definitely see where that won''t work in our current circumstances.

And, we have NO societies, kennels, clubs, etc in our area. Like I said, we have working dogs for the most part.

I don''t mean to sound snarky and I''m not offended by any of the posts. But, I just had to get my point across. Again, this is why I need your help. We may not be "ready" for a dog the way some of you see it, and truly we may not be ready at all. That''s why I need some actual "pet" advice.

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far, I''m looking into some of the breeds, but having trouble figuring out where we would get one. It seems I''d have to "order" a dog online, and for some reason, that sounds like trouble.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are no rescue groups or shelters within driving distance of you? Have you tried http://www.petfinder.com? You can search by breed and zip code on here. Hopefully, there is a group closer to you than you think so that you don''t have to resort to ordering a dog on-line? If there are no groups near you, then I''m guessing you''re in a very rural area, so just like anything else, I think you''re going to have to drive a ways to find your pup.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results