shape
carat
color
clarity

Less is more?

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
I've been saving to upgrade my engagement ring for about 3 years now.

Until very recently I thought I wanted the biggest baddest stone I could find within what I was willing to spend so probably up to 3 carats (though I swoon over 4+ carat diamonds, I just can't part with that much money for a piece of jewelry). At first I wanted a 3 carat colorless/near colorless H&A set in a HW style halo. Then, over this past year I realized I love old cuts way more and in lower colors no less! So I decided to keep saving and try to find the most awesome 3 carat OEC or antique cushion and have it set in either the HW halo style or the JbEG Sophie or something with a similar vintage-meets-modern look.

However, after seeing smaller but just as gorgeous stones/sets here and online I've come to realize that I really truly LOVE those as well! Like JbEG STUNNING 3 stone Astin with smaller OECs and this set I found while blog hopping (pic) which just makes my heart melt!!!

It'd be a wise move for me to spend less $ by getting a "dainty" yet gorgeous (to me) set as opposed to dropping $$$$$$$ on a 3 carat stone. I have (almost all) the money and it's allocated as "play" money but there are a lot more productive things I could use it for- invest it in DH's and my new business ventures, pay off our mtg faster and on and on. But this is money that I saved bit and piece over time for this specific purpose.

I'm kind of rambling but I guess my question to my fellow PSers is: do you think you could love and be happy with a smaller set that you found just stunning and not regret NOT getting a
jaw-dropping-notice-it-from-across-a-parking-lot stone/set when you had the chance?

I'm just not sure that a big ol diamond will make my heart melt enough to justify the expense.......... (FYI part of why I started doubting the big stone is my big eternity band- while it is just lovely and I do adore it, it doesn't evoke the same feelings in me as when I look at that small small vintage baguette with milgrain band...)

What to do......

sweet set.jpg

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
To answer your question of whether or not I could be happy with a "smaller size" stone- Yep!! If it was sparkly and stunning and made my heart go pitter patter, then the size is the least of my worries!! It's the sparkle and pizzazz of the diamond that gets me, not the size. Get what you like! I adore the set you posted....

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I could easily be happy with a smaller stone if it was in a style that I loved!

My current stone is a little under 2cts and an OEC - I adore it. Honestly, it's plenty big for me and I can't imagine anything larger. I wouldn't mind something huge for special occasions, but for daily wear I really prefer something under 2cts. I guess I'm more comfortable with an understated look and I'd be uncomfortable about the attention that a huge stone would draw (mine draws enough attention as it is). That's just me though - of course you'd have to think about how you would feel wearing something that size every day vs something small and dainty.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
that is a stunningly beautiful wedding set! i'd opt for it.

MoZo

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Elrohwen|1296849877|2843152 said:
I'd be uncomfortable about the attention that a huge stone would draw (mine draws enough attention as it is). That's just me though - of course you'd have to think about how you would feel wearing something that size every day vs something small and dainty.

You know, I've been having the same internal debate, and am wondering if what Elrohwen mentions above will be the deciding factor ....

Now, I'm still at least a few years off from making this sort of a decision (semi-planning for the 5th anniversary), but I keep going back and forth between wanting a ginormous disco-ball of a ring, and thinking that, well, for the circles I travel in, my ring is plenty ostentatious (I'm in academia, and at my faculty meeting of a dozen+ women, I think I was one out of two wearing more than a plain gold band ... both of us on the younger and potentially more "frivolous" looking side by the standards of the profession).

I do think, though, that the "do I want a big ring?" question is kinda separate from the "what will make me happy?" question. The set you posted is GORGEOUS (I now want to start a "Show me your baguette bands!" thread - looks like there are more out there than I knew about!), and the workmanship is exquisite. Would you like it any less if it were bigger, if the attention to detail was as fine? I doubt it ....

I think the split difference for me might come down to getting a "smaller" stone, but a really fine setting - a Van Craeynest, say, or an Mc2, or something like that. Wearable art.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just buy what you like, large or small.

I LOVE that emerald cut diamond ring.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Have you tried on both large and small stones to see what you prefer on yourself? Personally, I dislike the way large jewelry looks on me and would never want anything close to 2cts for daily wear -- my sweet spot is around .6 to .75cts. So my answer to your question would be YES! But I'm not you, so I don't know if you would regret it. Does the seller of the set you like have an exchange/upgrade policy?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I'll likely be the only person who would say: smaller, but "(technically) perfect" stone from Bulgari, VCA, Cartier, HW or Mc2.
I seem to be obsessed with D IF these days....

cheers--Sharon

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Tuckins- I feel the same way about it- as long as it's sparkly and I love it then great :appl: However, I think I could love a larger stone and a teensy tiny one the same amount but for different reasons. Just not sure if I'd regret not going up in size when I could...

Elrohwen - your gorgeous OEC is a family heirloom right? Any heirloom would trump any other diamond (of any size) for me! That's kind of what I was thinking of doing with this new ring I'm planning. I don't really mind the attention a large stone would draw. I think it'd mostly be "Ooooohh!! Pretty!!" Or nothing at all. At least that's always my reaction to a beautifully cut stone- .2 carats or 10 carats. =) Besides, I work with my family and friends and I know that's what their reaction would be if they even noticed (none of them care much for jewelry/diamonds) LOL

Movie Zombie- I agree! I think it's ultra charming and really feminine! :love:

Circe- I know what you mean. The absolute biggest diamond in my circle is my MIL's 2.25 RB and she waited until she was 50 to get it- everyone else has either 1 carat or under. But none of them really appreciate (or know anything about) diamonds. I do. I really really really do. :) And that's half the reason they don't own larger stones. My mom doesn't even have a diamond though she could easily afford a bigger rock than I can ever imagine owning. She's just not into them. Besides, if I felt that wearing a larger ring in a certain situation would make me feel uncomfortable (hanging out with DH's friends wives who are a catty bunch for example) then I'd leave it at home.

I also agree that both would make me happy. But I just don't know if I went for a smaller stone if I'd still long for a big honker :bigsmile: And since a smaller set wouldn't be too much $$$ I could always get that too- LOL!!! Ah but the point is spending less - oops. :D

Kenny- that's the problem. I love them both. But I've always wanted a larger stone.. I guess it comes down to feeling guilty on spending SO much on something just for fun when I could use that money for something more "productive" -- plump up DS's college fund etc.. I love that emerald ring too!!!! :love:

Octavia- I have. Both look nice. My finger size is 5.5/6 (depending on swelling) so a 2-3 carat fancy shape doesn't look over powering. Not sure about the upgrade but I really want this to be my last upgrade. It surely won't be my last diamond but I want it to be my last e-ring/wedding set. When I'm planning on upgrading something (anything- house, cars whatever) it takes enjoyment out of what I DO have because I'm always thinking about the upgrade I want. :sick:

canuk-gal- LOL A small D IF emerald would cost as much if not more than a larger lower color antique OEC/cushion! But ooooh that'd be cool to have a D IF in that setting! :love:

These answers have really helped! Thanks guys! I'm thinking that maybe I can meet in the middle and not go all the way to 3 carats- maybe stick to 2 in an OEC or cushion. It's still a nice size but not as much money. I also REALLY love that emerald ring (and the eternity is divine!)-- I could always get that as an anniversary gift down the road.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Btw what's MC2? where can I see his/her/their work?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LALove|1296870139|2843518 said:

McTeigue & McClelland - it'll cost you a pretty penny but my goodness... their pictures are :love: :love: :love: :love:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
OK...I love that set you linked. Where did you find it? Who makes it?

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
LA, that set is just so pretty. :love:
(Think of the money you'd save every year on the insurance.)

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Yssie|1296870452|2843524 said:

McTeigue & McClelland - it'll cost you a pretty penny but my goodness... their pictures are :love: :love: :love: :love:
Oh. My. God. :-o WOOOOOWWWWW!! :love:

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
texaskj|1296872238|2843552 said:
LA, that set is just so pretty. :love:
(Think of the money you'd save every year on the insurance.)
Lol true!

waterlilly

Brilliant_Rock
Have you thought about getting a kick a** eternity band instead of a single stone? You can get a lot more bling for your buck, still have a stunner of a ring and still have $$ to use for other things...

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
waterlilly|1296915525|2843872 said:
Have you thought about getting a kick a** eternity band instead of a single stone? You can get a lot more bling for your buck, still have a stunner of a ring and still have $$ to use for other things...
I actually have a big eternity- 5.6 carats.. While it's lovely I do miss having an engagement ring ::)

waterlilly

Brilliant_Rock
LALove|1296916020|2843877 said:
I actually have a big eternity- 5.6 carats.. While it's lovely I do miss having an engagement ring ::)

Ahh, I see. I'm not sure how a small stone is going to satisfy you then...but since you can get one relatively cheaply compared to the budget you likely have saved, I suppose there is no harm in testing it out! Maybe go with a place that has a good upgrade policy?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
waterlilly|1296916208|2843881 said:
LALove|1296916020|2843877 said:

Ahh, I see. I'm not sure how a small stone is going to satisfy you then...but since you can get one relatively cheaply compared to the budget you likely have saved, I suppose there is no harm in testing it out! Maybe go with a place that has a good upgrade policy?

Ohhhh, I dunno. I have a 6.25 ctw eternity and dream of a 1ctw or under D IF stone. BDG has a 1.21! :lickout:

cheers--Sharon

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
LA, I think the set you posted is lovely, but I feel that down the road you may wish you had gotten something bigger. Just my 2 cents. I think you are right on with going with an older stone since they seem to make your heart flutter. Maybe you could design an engagement ring with an OEC, and get a matching dainty eternity band (something similar to the baguette one you posted) to wear as your wedding band with the e-ring on your left hand. Then move the kick a$$ eternity ring to your right hand.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock

If I had to do it all over again, THIS is what I would do. A fabulous eternity ring of wonderful quality paired with a simpler wedding band.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know that for myself if I'd gotten what I originally wanted before I found PS (a 3/4 carat oval in a channel set yellow gold band) I would likely be *happier* with it than I am right now with what I have because I would have gotten exactly what I wanted and all of the searching and yearning would have just come to a close. Done. No more thinking about it. Now, I love my stone MORE than I would a 3/4 carat oval now... but I've spent enough time here to want more more MORE. There's no satisfaction in that... there's no end in sight.

Whatever you can do to put an end to it... you know? I'm guessing you could probably get both though.... get the small one first and hold on to the money and see if you still want the bigger one.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
some have posted re using bands as their e-ring....and those bands are gorgeous. that would certainly be a route i'd go.

MoZo

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I do think less can be more in jewels. Part of the aesthetics of jewels involves fineness, not just weight, size, or style.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1296870452|2843524 said:

I think I read Harriet's going to get one and we'll get see pictures. :Up_to_something:

CrisM

Shiny_Rock
Bump...

LALove, I wonder if you answered your question; what did you choose? I'm going through the exact same debate. Also, could you share the link to the "sweet set" you posted if you still have it? It is perfectly named.

Regards,
CrisM

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
CrisM|1333558929|3163356 said:
Bump...

LALove, I wonder if you answered your question; what did you choose? I'm going through the exact same debate. Also, could you share the link to the "sweet set" you posted if you still have it? It is perfectly named.

Regards,
CrisM
Hi Cris!
I did decide NOT to get a huge (3+ carats) stone only because I cannot justify the cost at this point in my life. However, I'll be looking for something in the 2+ carat range but with low color (antique) so it will be affordable.

Here's the designer of that set:
http://www.stkildajewelry.com/shop/1,2,0/

CrisM

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, LALove! I've seen their rings before but didn't register the itty bitty baguette set. I like the oxidized pieces, especially.

Best of luck in your search.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I "downgraded" to a smaller stone because I was uncomfortable with a large 3 stone ring (.50, 3.5, .50). While my stone is still rather large by most standards, I love it and am totally comfortable wearing it everyday. So, yes...I'd be perfectly happy with a smaller stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results