shape
carat
color
clarity

Leather shoe care?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hey folks,
I posted this in Shopping but so far no luck..

I have two new pairs of delightful, scrumptious, too cute shoes -
I know I know, this thread is worthless without pics! I promise some asap - I checked online at Chloe and
Ted Baker (the respective designers), but I didn''t find the images of my specific shoes, sorry..

I do have one important question though of my fellow PS''ers who are in the know - how do you care for patent leather??
Both pairs are 100% calf leather (outer, soles, inner) - usually when I have normal leather products like bags, jackets, boots etc, I use a protectant spray initially, than follow up with a buff and polish after every couple wears. But I don''t believe this type of treatment works with patent leather ?? I think I tried it once with a polish cream on my Marc Jocobs pair, and it seemed to be making the leather look worse, so I just aborted.
40.gif

These were purchased from a dept. store, not the boutique, so of course the sales girls were no help
20.gif

So, does anyone have some tips on how to protect from stains and scratches etc on patent leather shoes? any experience or thoughts are much appreciated! ..

and than maybe I can reward with photos once I feel secure enough to start wearing them about......
31.gif
lol

cheers in advance!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use spray furniture polish on patent leather but don''t get it on the soles as it could slip, try a little on a rag and buff, don''t spray the shoe directly Bruddah and test a small inconspicuous area first.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/30/2009 8:02:23 AM
Author: Lorelei
I use spray furniture polish on patent leather but don''t get it on the soles as it could slip, try a little on a rag and buff, don''t spray the shoe directly Bruddah and test a small inconspicuous area first.

really? Furniture spray bruddah - huh..*scratches head* I never would''ve considered it.
So do you use it for polishing or protection, or both hon?

Does this mean there isn''t a specific product for patent than...I guess the idea is that the
gloss coat is supposed to a protector in itself, no?

I''m not sure about using the furniture polish on Chloe
40.gif
, I don''t know
if she''d appreciate it , sorry bruddah!
2.gif
9.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
just did some more research, and it appears there are specific products for
patent shoes...I''ve just never seen them!
I think I will visit the bootmaker on mon.

Another Q - if you ladies buy a pair of nice shoes (designer) that have a leather sole (which are usually
rather soft) do you have your bootmaker add a layer to the sole so as they don''t get ruined too quick?
I did this once with a pair of boots, and am just wondering whether others like to do so?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/30/2009 8:16:06 AM
Author: arjunajane

Date: 5/30/2009 8:02:23 AM
Author: Lorelei

really? Furniture spray bruddah - huh..*scratches head* I never would''ve considered it.
So do you use it for polishing or protection, or both hon?

Does this mean there isn''t a specific product for patent than...I guess the idea is that the
gloss coat is supposed to a protector in itself, no?

I''m not sure about using the furniture polish on Chloe
40.gif
, I don''t know
if she''d appreciate it , sorry bruddah!
2.gif
9.gif
Yes Bruddah, plain ''ol furniture polish in a spray. No worries if you are worried about using it, I would say if you decide to, test an inconspicuous area first and don''t get it on the soles of the shoes.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Fair enough Bruddah, thanks for the tip
35.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
pure carnauba wax

amorall also works well also but if you get it on the soles your in trouble.

I prefer wax.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
thanks Strm for your input.
1.gif

I found some good info too at ask.com - now I''ll just need to find the products
that don''t cost a bundle
5.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2009 4:26:25 AM
1.gif

I found some good info too at ask.com - now I''ll just need to find the products

5.gif
check the auto detailing section of the store.
You can pick up a 2x lifetime supply for a couple bucks.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2009 11:30:44 AM
Author: strmrdr

Date: 5/31/2009 4:26:25 AM
1.gif

5.gif
check the auto detailing section of the store.
You can pick up a 2x lifetime supply for a couple bucks.
but the question is, would you use that on a <$500 pair of shoes....
2.gif

ha ha, thx strmy.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results