shape
carat
color
clarity

Lap Top do you turn it off at night or just put it to sleep?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Hello: Just wondering about it.I am new to lap top world and I usually turn it off.Also do you put a password each time you log in or not? Just in case one lost it or left it behind somewhere with the password would give some protection? I have seen a finger print recognizable software, so only one person and with one finger gets recognized.It was on Dell computer.I have Mac and this feature is not available.Thanks for reading and responding..

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i just close it and put my mac to sleep. i do however, restart or shut down occasionally. yes, i have type in a password each time i turn it on from a restart or start up - but not when i open it up from sleep.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Hey there,

I turn mine off at night just in case. Anything to prevent it from getting a virus. It''s also a waste of energy, although there is debate that leaving it on might save more energy than turning it off and then on again. Personal preference really. I also run my three scanning programs at least once a day since my last computer was completely obliterated by a trojan virus. As for adding a password, I personally don''t think it''s necessary unless there are other people in the household or if there is really private information that you are sure no one can get to. My computer actually has software that will track your computer if it is stolen. I use Lo Jack for Laptops and it is compatible with Windows XP, so if you have that on your Mac you could get it.

*M*

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
tracking software,,that sounds good..never heard of it? I have mac and not windows ..

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a mac and shut it down almost every night. hubby is a big mac guy and says I should so I do it, don't really know why
9.gif

ETA: ok, I asked hubby why and he said I didn't really have to do it so, I from now on I'm just going to let it sleep b/c I hate waiting for it to warm up every morning..

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
We turn it off at night when we go to bed. I usually turn it back on early in the morning and check my e-mail before leaving for work, and then it stays on for the day. This probably doesn''t do any good for the electricity bill though.

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
Hubby is an electrical engineer and I''m a computer scientist -- we leave our laptops and desktops on, turning your computers on and off each day causes more wear and tear on the CPU/fan, plus it uses up more energy.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2007 4:11:37 PM
Author: *Lindsey*
Hubby is an electrical engineer and I''m a computer scientist -- we leave our laptops and desktops on, turning your computers on and off each day causes more wear and tear on the CPU/fan, plus it uses up more energy.
Yikes, I have been turning mine off at night, never knew that was a no no.....

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ive been turning mine off every night too-whoops!

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Yah, me too, my DH told me I had to shut off my laptop every night or I''d ruin it. Hmmm...

Jeannine

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
We never shut down our desktops or my laptop (unless it is acting funny then I restart it). I have a mac laptop (never set a password) my imac asks for one only when I restart it. If you click on "system preferences" then "security" you can set it anyway you want.

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
Don''t worry folks, you won''t kill your laptops/desktops by turning them off each night! I just wanted to stress that you shouldn''t feel that you need to turn it off each day, when it''s easier on your computer to just stay on anyway!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I turn mine off every few nights, but I have no set schedule, it just depends on whether or not I remember to do so.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
I've heard you should leave macs on because it has scheduled maintenance functions it needs to do, but can't do them if it's powered off.

I leave my work Thinkpad on. It's got the fingerprint protection too, so I just swipe it to get back in. However, the last week I've been shutting it off to take home. Our office got broken into and I decided that it's worth whatever minor damage or energy to shut off instead of leaving it and having to replace it. The hassle to replace everything isn't worth it.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
I just put mine to sleep everynight. I also have a password set so anyone who opens it will need to know the password to access the computer. I have to do this for my job though....security and HIPAA requirements.

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~I turn mine off about once a week, but I usually put it on stand by...

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I turn mine off and disconnect it when I'm not using it, but I only use it once or twice a week.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2007 10:42:36 PM
Author: codex57
I''ve heard you should leave macs on because it has scheduled maintenance functions it needs to do, but can''t do them if it''s powered off.

the scheduled maintenace functions and updates just pop up once you turn your computer back on..

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know for a fact that you guys know more about computers than I would!!...but honestly, any laptop or computer I''ve ever had gets outdated and obsolete before any ''wear and tear on the cpu/fan'' were to ever cause a problem...and I think the energy thing is negligible. Like keeping your car idling versus turning it off...supposedly turning it off and on uses more energy, but I think the difference is practically negligible.

I turn it off because we have a wireless network and I don''t want anyone to get access through a computer that is on, etc. Yes we have firewalls and virus protection and all that, but why tempt fate? Plus laptops get quite hot while running, and I figure it''s better to let ''em turn off than keep it running, even if it''s sleeping.

stretch4

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2007 5:39:47 PM
Author: FireGoddess

I know for a fact that you guys know more about computers than I would!!...but honestly, any laptop or computer I''ve ever had gets outdated and obsolete before any ''wear and tear on the cpu/fan'' were to ever cause a problem...and I think the energy thing is negligible. Like keeping your car idling versus turning it off...supposedly turning it off and on uses more energy, but I think the difference is practically negligible.

I turn it off because we have a wireless network and I don''t want anyone to get access through a computer that is on, etc. Yes we have firewalls and virus protection and all that, but why tempt fate? Plus laptops get quite hot while running, and I figure it''s better to let ''em turn off than keep it running, even if it''s sleeping.
Wow, FG, ditto! You said it better than I would have
2.gif
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results