shape
carat
color
clarity

Ladies and Gents, your BEST .....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cookie recipies....please!!!!!!!!

Rumor has it that David Keeling (David Keeling Fine Jewellery) on his way to the end of the universe and passing thru my town on Friday--on his way to becoming the worlds Fastest Indian. He will deliver my new diamond pendant (to match my earrings the Easter Bunny brought) to me in the process.....yah!!!!

Rumor also has it he loves choclate chip cookies--something I absolutely NEVER make.... So help me out, provide your favorite cookies recipies (cc and otherwise) so that I may make a "goodie" bag for his trip.

Thank girlies and boylies!!
2.gif

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

No replies
6.gif
--I am doomed to make the worst cookies ever.
32.gif
I could just go to MS--but what if they are lousy? OKie dokie...

cheers--Sharon

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
I actually make the best chocolate chip cookies ever (what the heck -- I''m all round a great cook) and after I get back from taking my kids to school will be happy to post my best recipe. . .
18.gif

njc

Brilliant_Rock
I either make Toll House (recipe on the bag) or the supposed Neiman-Marcus Cookies, which have to say are AWESOME (but dont know how they compare to the "real thing")!

Neiman-Marcus Cookies
2 cups butter
24 oz. chocolate chips (I use the Nestle mini morsals)
4 cups flour
2 cups brown sugar
2 tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt
2 cups sugar
1 8 oz. Hershey Bar (grated) (I''ve omitted this before and its fine)
5 cups blended oatmeal
4 eggs
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. vanilla
3 cups chopped nuts (your choice) (usually dont add these)

Measure oatmeal, and blend in a blender to a fine powder. Cream the butter and both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla. In a seperate bowl mix together flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder, and soda. Gradually add to butter/egg mixture. Add chocolate chips, Hershey Bar, and nuts. Roll into balls, and place two Inches apart on a cookie sheet.

Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees. Makes 112 cookies.

You can half the recipe since it makes soooo many. I also highly recommend using a large mixer (like a Kitchen-Aid) because when you start adding in the oatmeal/flour it gets REALLY hard to stir!

My big trick to nice chewy/gooey cookies is to under cook them. Once they are cool enough to take off the pan, they have finished cooking and wont be so messy... just right! Its a total trail and error thing to figure out what time works... for my oven its about 2 minutes less than the directions.

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
OK, sorry to be late with this recipe, but these are truly the best chocolate chip cookies! They are big cookies too. This is courtesy of Cook''s Magazine, Feb ''96:

Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes 1 1/2 dozen 3-inch cookies

2 1/8 C unsifted bleached all-purpose flour (2 C + 2 tablespoons)
1/2 t salt
1/2 t baking soda
12 T unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), melted and cooled until warm
1 C brown sugar (light or dark, I prefer light)
1/2 C granulated sugar
1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
2 t vanilla extract
1-2 C semi sweet chocolate chips

1. Heat oven to 325 degrees. Adjust oven racks to upper- and lower-middle positions. Mix flour, salt, and baking soda together in medium bowl, set aside.
2. By hand or electic mixer, mix butter and sugars until thoroughly blended. Mix in egg, yolk, and vanilla. Add dry ingredients; mix just until combined. Stir in chips to taste.
3. Form scant 1/4 cup dough into ball. Pull the ball into two equal halves, then turn each half in your hand until the jagged center is facing up, and join the two halves back together to re-form a single cookie, being careful not to smooth the top (the purpose of this is to form an uneven surface on the top of the cookie). Place formed dough onto parchment paper-lined cookie sheets, about nine cookies per sheet.
4. Bake, reversing cookie sheets'' positions halfway through baking, until cookies are light golden brown and outer edges start to harden yet centers are still soft and puffy, 15-18 minutes, but start checking at 13 minutes. Cool cookies on cookie sheets.

I hope you still have time to make them!

Starset

Shiny_Rock
Make the typical peanut butter cookies - the ones where you cross hair the fork tines after coming out of the oven.

Instead of using brown sugar - use honey.

To use honey in place of sugar, use 7/8 cup for every cup of sugar, and reduce the liquid in the recipe by 3 tablespoons.
If it''s a small batch - I''d just go 1 to 1.

Honey adds acid to a recipe, which you might have to neutralize with the addition of a pinch of baking soda. And honey can cause baked foods to brown more quickly.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Thanks for the suggestions guys!!!
1.gif
I did my shopping in anticipation of making a few kinds....I may even eat some myself.....

cheers--Sharonl

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
my fave type of chocolate chip cookies is any basic choco chip cookie recipe (there are so many out there, i have a book JUST of choco chip cookie recipes!) using ghiradelli milk chocolate chips (they are huge so they don't melt all the way so it's kind of a chunky choco thing) and putting oatmeal into them as well. i just love oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, my FAVE. also sometimes the recipes note things like 'for a chewier cookie, add more water' etc. i think you can also add a touch of milk to get the edges crispy. there are so many ways to make a great cookie, but in the end they ALL just taste fab.

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Ooohhh, I agree . . . oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are fab! My favorite oatmeal chocolate chip recipe is from a Sunset cookbook called "Easy Basics for Good Cooking" I got when I was in college and just learning to cook (I had to learn to cook after I left home because my mother, dear as she was, was a horrible cook and I had no example to go by). It''s actually a great cookbook and I''ve kept it all these years . . .

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/12/2006 11:31:59 PM
Author: portoar
So did you get the pendant? Did he get his cookies?
HI:

No and no, Portoar. He will be thru on Monday......

Other than Christmas cookies my cookie repitoire is very limited, but here is one I do make two or three times a year (I''d make them more often but, I''d eat them all in one sitting....) and they are 2DIE4.

Chocolate Chocolate Caramel Cookies

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup low fat cocoa
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup soft butter
2/3 cup packed golden brown sugar
1/3 granulated sugar
1 egg (beaten)
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 package Hershey Chipets milk chocolate covered caramels
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 375 C. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. In seperate bowl, cream butter, sugars, egg, and vanilla until smooth and creamy. Blend in dry ingredients, mixing well. Stir in chocolate covered caramels and pecans. Drop by spoonful onto a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until soft and almost set. Cool completely on foil.

The caramel often melts outside of the cookie, but just makes them all the more chewy good.

cheers--Sharon

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Sharon,

Those sound absolutely decadent! I''m going to save the recipe and make them sometime. Reading through the recipe though, I''m wondering what is the point of the low-fat cocoa? It reminds me of when I used to go out with girlfriends who''d order hamburger & fries and a diet coke . . . huh?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/13/2006 10:07:36 PM
Author: portoar
Sharon,

Those sound absolutely decadent! I''m going to save the recipe and make them sometime. Reading through the recipe though, I''m wondering what is the point of the low-fat cocoa? It reminds me of when I used to go out with girlfriends who''d order hamburger & fries and a diet coke . . . huh?
HI Poatoar:

Agreed, I didn''t even know such a product was on the market.....

However, when posting the ingredients, I took the liberty of substituting the recipies'' original fat (margerine) for butter, so the recipe seen in its original context it would make more sense......BTW, the last time I made these heavenly tidbits, I also eliminated the 1/4 cup granulated sugar...believe me they are "sweet" enough.....

Happy Mothers Day!!!

cheers--Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results