shape
carat
color
clarity

Kitchen Countertop Suggestions

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I have asked this question in a home building forum, but I think sometimes there are vendors just pushing their product so I am trying with me PS peeps.

I am building a home next spring and I am done with the floor plan/architectural stage and am moving on to interior finishes.

Originally I thought I wanted granite because for years that was thought to be the best. Now I am finding that it isn't as "special" anymore. A development went in a few miles away a year or so ago. They are so cheaply built yet still have granite countertops! I am not wealthy, but I do feel that cost isnt really a consideration when taking into account this area will be used so much over the next few decades.

I know there are so many new materials these days that I suspect that granite is no longer the best.

DH is a huge slob when he cooks so I need something that wont stain or shadow with various liquids including acids like lemon juice and wine. I know that sealing isnt a huge undertaking, but I would prefer soemthing that I dont have to reseal EVER if possible. Time gets away from me and before I know it 10 years will pass.

My kitchen will have lots of countertop space and an island with a prep sink in the middle. I want cream/off white cabinets with a tan/brown countertop and then have the island be a lovely wood with a slightly lighter countertop.

I have been looking at this website for inspiration http://www.cambriausa.com/our-collection/color-palette/ and have found some I love and some I hate.

Any and all suggestions and reviews would be appreciated

newhaven.jpg

brownhill.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
When I replaced my countertops a couple years ago I looked at everything. Granite, of course -- researched on review websites, polled my friends who had it. What I found surprised me that it's lasted this long as a fad. It's really not very practical, though it is very pretty. Materials people say the only way to be sure you're getting a piece without an invisible...um..inclusion, lol, is to go to the stoneyard & pick your piece yourself and have it x-rayed. Hidden flaws in the stone can lead to cracks under stress -- someone I know stood on her countertop to replace a lightbulb & it cracked in 2, for instance. It can chip, it stains, & heat, as in hot pans, will damage it.

I ended up with quartz & am ecstatic with it. Silestone, Caesarstone, etc., are the brands. Available in a zillion colors & patterns, matte or polished finish. Because quartz is so hard, I guess they can't slice it like granite, so it's tumbled & mixed with about 2% resin to form it. The only downside is that it doesn't have the irregular grain of granite, but there are so many choices, you can find something you like easily. ONLY downside! I put hot pans directly out of the oven onto the counter. It doesn't scratch, so no cutting board necessary. It never stains. No oiling or treatment ever necessary. Very difficult to chip -- they say if you really whack it hard just right on the edge, it will, but my kitchen gets plenty of rough treatment & I've never had a problem.

I also used it in the master bathroom, where staining from cosmetics & stuff must be considered. It's terrific!

If I didn't mind re-sealing & wanted to spend the $$, my top kitchen choice would be soapstone -- love the look. Not in the cards. But quartz is good looking and SO easy, I'm glad every day that I decided on it. About the same cost as granite but MUCH longer-lasting. If some horrid accident happened, too, it can be sanded & resurfaced without much pain. Worth taking a look at, at least.

--- Laurie

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about concrete. It does have to be sealed but the options for color & pattern are infinite.

April20

Ideal_Rock
You are right, granite is everywhere. We just bought a condo- it's not even remotely high end, believe me- and it already had granite countertops.

I've used a lot of cultured stone ctops for the work I do (i manage remodels of healthcare cafeterias). The nice thing about a cultured stone top (Caesarstone, Silestone, Zodiaq, Cambria, etc) is that they aren't porous and don't absorb liquids that get spilled. They're considered "food safe". Health code doesn't actually allow granite, because it is porous and there's a risk of bacteria growth, etc. To me, that's a plus for the cultured stones, even in home use.

Another idea- it's not a "mainstream" option. Have you ever looked at PaperStone? It's made from recycled paper and resin and is hard as a rock. You can cut on it and it will barely show a mark. When I first looked at it 8 or 10 years ago, it only came in a medium brown or a dark espresso. I am not sure what colors it comes in now, but here's a link. It might be worth at least a look if you'd like something a little different. http://paperstoneproducts.com/

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
My parents have solid surface counter tops in their kitchen and bathrooms and they love them. They look great. Here's a link: http://solidsurface.com/.. They redid both bathrooms and the kitchen a number of years ago (maybe 10?), and I've never heard of problems they've had. Admittedly, I don't know too much about solid surface counter tops myself, but they might be an option if you do a bit of research.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your replies.

I think I am leaning towards quartz.

I considered soapstone. People rave about it and I know that it is great quality. The only reason I wont use soapstone is the colors. They are all so deep and dark.

If anyone else has info they would like to pass on please do.

Not that I want something to be wrong with quartz, but if anyone has a complaint about it I would love to know about it now.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Posting on vacay on iPad so excuse spelling!
Soapstone, butchers block and granite all need either reseallimg or oiling on a regular basis. I replaced our countertops w a superior laminate in charcoal grey to work with our granite island because the cost of a full counter upgrade was not in the cards. If I could have , and I do prefer the darker colours, I would have gone soapstone because it handles cuts well is smooth and cool to the touch and can handle heat very well, otherwise Id lean towards the granite coomposites listed above - silestone ,zondiaq etc. very hard wearing and variety of colours, but you can often request to create your own sparkles with colours of your choice so ask your contractor if they will allow you to do that.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Formica's cheapest.
That's what I just bought.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
SOAPSTONE!!! My sister just had it installed in her new kitchen build and it is phenomenal -- especially if you're doing white or light cabinets.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
radiantquest|1341178137|3226993 said:
Thanks for your replies.

I think I am leaning towards quartz.

I considered soapstone. People rave about it and I know that it is great quality. The only reason I wont use soapstone is the colors. They are all so deep and dark.

If anyone else has info they would like to pass on please do.

Not that I want something to be wrong with quartz, but if anyone has a complaint about it I would love to know about it now.

i'm huge on kitchens, and in terms of materials I picked quartz as well due to reasons of practicality. Marble would be far more beautiful, but I use my kitchen. Hard.

This stuff is really the ticket to a hard wearing well serving material. Simply excellent. It may not be the prettiest, but it holds up very well to use.

Warning, if you whack it really hard on an edge it WILL chip off (imagine swinging a heavy Stainless pan with a sharp base edge for instance.) But it is almost homogeneous throughout, so the chips if you are silly enough (cough) to get them, are nearly invisible.

Otherwise, wine, fruits, heat, whatever. It won't trouble you at all.

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
decodelighted|1341205775|3227151 said:
SOAPSTONE!!! My sister just had it installed in her new kitchen build and it is phenomenal -- especially if you're doing white or light cabinets.

I love soapstone, (first saw it at Restoration Hardware years ago and immediately was smitten) but the price....ugh. I ended up doing granite in black absolute with a honed/ matte finish and it looks almostnidentical to soapstone and a much more affordable price--and with the white kitchen cabinets it is stunning. Of course, I did my kitchen a few years ago and prices may have changed since then. :wink2:

Edited for typos.

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
My husband and I just built a house, moved in 1 year ago. Our kitchen island countertop is Carrara Marble and our perimeter countertops are Caesarstone (color - Concrete 2003). I wanted to do carrara everywhere but my husband was worried about how it would hold up so we did the combo. I'm so glad we did. The Carrara already has acid marks (they are colorless, but just appear slightly dull compared to the polished areas) but the Caesarstone still looks great. However, we do have a few minor scratches in the Caesarstone, just in the area by the stove, not really sure how they got there, we try to be careful when we are cooking but sometimes things like that just happen. I think our gray concrete color shows more though that a light or speckled/patterned color would though. It is nice to be able to sit a hot pot on the CS or spill wine/tomato sauce, etc and not have to worry about staining.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love my granite countertops! They were installed 4 years ago and were PermaShield treated before installation. PermaShield treatment claims to be permanent, no re-sealing required. It has a 15 year warranty. I figure that if they last only 15 years they were well worth the price, but from the looks of things after 4 years, I imagine we would want to re-do the whole kitchen long before the countertops look worn. There are no chips, cracks, or stains and I find the surface very easy to keep clean. I just spritz with non-ammonia glass cleaner that is safe for granite and wipe with a micro-fiber cloth. I don't always clean up spills immediately but don't let them sit overnight. I put hot pans from the oven directly on them all the time. The only thing I can think of that I no longer do is stand on the island to change a lightbulb...didn't worry about that with formica but I would not risk cracking natural stone.

I didn't realize granite was just a fad! The one drawback over our previous formica top is that in the most minor collision with ceramic or glass, the granite always wins.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I've heard great things about quartz--I used to think you could only get it in very light colors, but it seems as though you can get them in more beige colors.

We inherited our house's granite counter tops when we bought it--they installed them in 2000. So the granite is 12 years old and there is definitely some wear and tear. The corners of the island are rounded, but there are still chips on the corners.

I will be replacing our countertops with soapstone at some point.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maria D|1341236865|3227233 said:
I love my granite countertops! They were installed 4 years ago and were PermaShield treated before installation. PermaShield treatment claims to be permanent, no re-sealing required. It has a 15 year warranty. I figure that if they last only 15 years they were well worth the price, but from the looks of things after 4 years, I imagine we would want to re-do the whole kitchen long before the countertops look worn. There are no chips, cracks, or stains and I find the surface very easy to keep clean. I just spritz with non-ammonia glass cleaner that is safe for granite and wipe with a micro-fiber cloth. I don't always clean up spills immediately but don't let them sit overnight. I put hot pans from the oven directly on them all the time. The only thing I can think of that I no longer do is stand on the island to change a lightbulb...didn't worry about that with formica but I would not risk cracking natural stone.

I didn't realize granite was just a fad! The one drawback over our previous formica top is that in the most minor collision with ceramic or glass, the granite always wins.

Yeah, I'm not sure when granite became "low end" and passe. I chose it because it has lots of colors and patterns - (if we'd had more counter space my husband was in love with some of the long swirl patterns, but we'd have had to cut it and it would have ruined the effect), is natural product, and I cook like a fiend and it's as durable as, well, rock. I sealed it when we got it (4+), but the color and/or finish of our granite - a high gloss verde ventura - doesn't seem to stain in any way, and he in particular, uses it very very hard. Since he hasn't been able to hurt it, I don't worry about it anymore. I'm usually more worried now about the travertine backsplashes, especially behind the stove where my husband browns everything on the "HELL" burner setting.

I visited family this last week, and a cousin had just gotten granite counters, but in a finish I'd never seen - "leather". And it truly felt like leather. She said it was a finish that was not quite to "honed". It felt and looked very cool.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
kenny said:
Formica's cheapest.

Kenny, I'm cheap like you. The Formica we chose was on clearance and my dad can make Formica countertops so ours was less than $300 total. And it looks great.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
My parents recently bought a new condo that came with quartz countertops. They assumed they were granite and when I told them nope, quartz they were disappointed because granite countertops are the best don't ya know, all of their friends have granite. For this reason, I'd probably say that granite is traditional, where other stone choices are more modern and high-end.

I'd still rather have granite over my laminant countertops.

While I'm sure the quartz is holding up better than granite would, it still needs to be handled with care. For example, my mom stopped using a cutting board and cuts everything directly on the stone. Now she's seeing scratches and chips in the area that she uses for cutting. It still looks very nice, but if you go with quartz please use a cutting board and trivets under your hot dishes!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
chemgirl|1341245569|3227286 said:
My parents recently bought a new condo that came with quartz countertops. They assumed they were granite and when I told them nope, quartz they were disappointed because granite countertops are the best don't ya know, all of their friends have granite. For this reason, I'd probably say that granite is traditional, where other stone choices are more modern and high-end.

I'd still rather have granite over my laminant countertops.

While I'm sure the quartz is holding up better than granite would, it still needs to be handled with care. For example, my mom stopped using a cutting board and cuts everything directly on the stone. Now she's seeing scratches and chips in the area that she uses for cutting. It still looks very nice, but if you go with quartz please use a cutting board and trivets under your hot dishes!

Well, aside from the damage that might be done to the counter tops, cutting directly on any kind of stone is absolute death for a good blade. I'm not inclined to do it, but my very laid-back husband might actually divorce me over cutting on rock. So yeah, wood or plastic for the life of the counters AND your cutlery.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've been at an impasse in my kitchen for 10 years so don't listen to me! We desperately need an upgrade from the *ancient* 50's style marbled formica w/metal edge but honestly the whole kitchen needs a re-do and I didn't want to have to RE-re-do if the layout shifts. GAH. We're coming to terms w/the fact we might move before re-doing the kitchen -- in which case, we HAVE to do something. So we're leaning toward butcher block right now. This is a country cottage style modest cozy super retro funky place -- and I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have carrera marble w/my white cabinents -- but it would be OVER-improving this house, especially since anyone who buys it will probably gut & re-do the kitchen.

My DREAM kitchen now would probably have white cabinets, lots of reeded glass doors, & soapstone countertops. LOVE marble but don't have the stomach to instantly ruin them w/food! I'd buy a house that had granite in it though. Don't thnk it's "LOW-END" at all ... just very, very, maybe OVER popular for the past decade, so *common*-seeming. You don't see designers putting it in much anymore (on shows at least) ... though most houseSHOPPERS are still all asking for it. Seems the avant-guard has revolted against their ubiquity & looked to other materials to make their projects "unique".

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
stargurl78|1341242820|3227261 said:
kenny said:
Formica's cheapest.

Kenny, I'm cheap like you. The Formica we chose was on clearance and my dad can make Formica countertops so ours was less than $300 total. And it looks great.

To each his/her own but I am very weird with money.
I'll cheap-out on one thing so I can indulge on another.

My choices on what to cheap-out on and what the splurge on make NO sense to anyone but me.

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
We splurged on two things in the kitchen - countertops and the faucet. I feel like they're the "jewelry" in a kitchen and stand out the most. :) We have Caesarstone in a white color and it's GORGEOUS. The white does stain, but a magic eraser buffs it out.

We sadly have 3 small chips that we notice but others don't - you can get the company that installed it to do chip repair if needed. One was from a 1.75 lb bottle of Kirkland Vodka I apparently didn't lift up high enough, another is from a heavy stoneware jug we used to refill the doggie's bowls. We don't cut directly on it, but I wouldn't do that with any countertop. I also don't put pans directly on it. They have so many new colors now - some look like natural stone!

Looking at all the other options out there, we'd go with Caesarstone again! My bff installed it too, in a taupe color with white cabinets - so gorgeous!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I researched this topic a couple of years ago, granite and quartz were considered the two best. We ended up buying a new house that was already completed, though, and it had granite. I haven't had any problems at all and still love the look regardless of how "over-popular" it has become.

starshine

Shiny_Rock
We went with granite when we built our house 8 years ago. It still looks beautiful! No chips, no problems.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We've had to do a lot of rehab in our house, and for both kitchen and our master bath, have the engineered quartz. For the bathroom I was considering more green options like the paperstone, concrete, even a bamboo countertop, but again and again I just love both how the quartz looks (they have a huge range now of colors/textures) and it's basically maintenance free. I hate spending good money on something that might stain, swell, discolor, etc.

If price was no object, I would have quartz, but then have one section or some other work area with marble (for breadmaking/pastry needs!)

My mother in law, her indulgence is a stand alone ginormous butcher block (I think it originally was from a butcher) that she uses for both display and for cutting.

I think granite is pretty, but as others have said, it is not quite as practical, plus I'd worry about potential radioactivity.

And cutting directly on the countertop. Um no that's what cutting boards are for. And I still use potholders, if only for the sake of being in the routine, so I don't forgetfully put a pot down on a surfaceg that is not heat-safe!

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I am in no way saying that granite isn't great! There is something about the color, I think it is called Black Galaxy that mesmerizes me and makes my heart go pitter-pat when I look at it. The black is so beautiful, but I don't think it would be something that I would stay happy with.

I thought about butcher block and I am hesitant about that and some natural rocks because they are porous. One of the companies that I was looking into makes a quartz(ite) counter top that is 95% quartz and 5% resin and supposedly makes it nonporous and bulletproof.

I know people with gorgeous counter tops and they are so careful with them. I don't want to be uber-careful. I want my counter top to be a work surface like it is intended and be pretty at the same time.

I am afraid that after all this research and mixed opinions that when the time is here to actually make my final decision I will falter and pick whatever is tickling my fancy at that moment and make a huge mistake.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I think you won't go wrong with either granite or quartz. I find that granite has a "warmer" feeling in general in contrast to the "cooler" quartz. You can get better seams with quartz and you don't have to seal. They are both superior products.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
We just bought a house last summer and gutted the kitchen. We went with concrete, and I've been very happy with them. We wanted a solid surface, but I was anti-granite. It was cheaper and the finish options are endless, if you can find a good concrete person.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Miscka|1341345081|3228016 said:
We just bought a house last summer and gutted the kitchen. We went with concrete, and I've been very happy with them. We wanted a solid surface, but I was anti-granite. It was cheaper and the finish options are endless, if you can find a good concrete person.

Love the look of concrete!

I also did some research (though dh is somewhat knowledgeable re this topic as he loves to cook) and when we remodel the beach kitchen (far future probably) I am getting rid of the granite (I love granite but not the look I am going for at the beach house) and replacing it with silestone. I am planning on doing all white and I also love marble but don't want to deal with the sealing and resealing etc. I am sort of a klutz and I spill stuff all the time. :oops:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

do you have to seal it or anything? Will it stain? I always thought it was a neat idea but don't know much about it. We'll probably end up w/laminate like we have now. I don't know anything about Formica either but if it's cheap I want to check it out!

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
packrat said:

do you have to seal it or anything? Will it stain? I always thought it was a neat idea but don't know much about it. We'll probably end up w/laminate like we have now. I don't know anything about Formica either but if it's cheap I want to check it out!

I second poured concrete! They look really cool and if they are sealed properly they're as resistant to bacterial contamination as stainless steel! I would definitely do some major research if you plan to DIY, or consult a pro, because you can end up with big problems if you aren't careful: the slabs can crack, wet concrete can burn and not all colors/finishes are food grade.

I think it looks so cool, tho! LOVE the built in drain board:

imageuploadedbytapatalk1359629568.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1359629598.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results