carat
color
clarity

Kate and the riddle of the missing ring

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1454173844|3984154 said:
I like the ring and think it looks very pretty on Kate's hand. I never cared for it when Diana wore it, I just didn't like the style of it at the time but somehow Kate gave it new life. She seems to wear it proudly. It would be interesting to know the back story but of course we'll never be privy to that. Who knows, maybe she's just not that into jewelry and it didn't really matter to her what she wore as her ering. Maybe she knew it was really important to William. Maybe she genuinely likes it. I don't really see the ring as a symbol of a failed marriage, I see it as a reminder of a treasured and missed loved one. Maybe that's how this couple sees it too.

I like the ring so much I bought one that is somewhat similar lol! And I know it sounds silly but I do feel a bit regal when I wear it :D

And yeah, I know it's common to see this ring recreated but the issue is that it's the Royal Gift Shop who is selling them, and I do think that's a bit tacky.

Junebug, I just want to say that your sapphire ring is easily one of the nicest I've seen on Pricescope. I prefer it to Kate's - the color, the proportions, the diamonds. everything. :love: It was a good day when you got that ring!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya|1454344457|3985147 said:
junebug17|1454173844|3984154 said:
I like the ring and think it looks very pretty on Kate's hand. I never cared for it when Diana wore it, I just didn't like the style of it at the time but somehow Kate gave it new life. She seems to wear it proudly. It would be interesting to know the back story but of course we'll never be privy to that. Who knows, maybe she's just not that into jewelry and it didn't really matter to her what she wore as her ering. Maybe she knew it was really important to William. Maybe she genuinely likes it. I don't really see the ring as a symbol of a failed marriage, I see it as a reminder of a treasured and missed loved one. Maybe that's how this couple sees it too.

I like the ring so much I bought one that is somewhat similar lol! And I know it sounds silly but I do feel a bit regal when I wear it :D

And yeah, I know it's common to see this ring recreated but the issue is that it's the Royal Gift Shop who is selling them, and I do think that's a bit tacky.

Junebug, I just want to say that your sapphire ring is easily one of the nicest I've seen on Pricescope. I prefer it to Kate's - the color, the proportions, the diamonds. everything. :love: It was a good day when you got that ring!

Wow, thank you so much Jambalaya! I do appreciate that! If I'm being honest, I wish I had gone a little lighter with the color of my sapphire, it goes dark in low light conditions. It looks nice during the day though and it's fun to wear.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your sapphire is perfect, Junebug! If you're not 100% sold on its color, toss it over here! :D

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can we discuss size for a moment? :wink2: 18 carats, 12 carats, and 8 carats all seem to be equally bandied about in the press.

However, when I look at this ring from DBL as a comparison, it looks very nearly as big as Kate's and the DBL ring is only 5.30 carats. http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/sapphire-and-diamond-ring-530ct-oval-cut-ceylon-sapphire-and-oval-diamond-ring-in-platinum-r4086

I'm not very experienced with guessing sizes in colored stones. So, what size would you guess Kate's sapphire to be? When I say size, I guess I really mean carat weight.

Guess away! :appl:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya|1454428314|3985626 said:
Can we discuss size for a moment? :wink2: 18 carats, 12 carats, and 8 carats all seem to be equally bandied about in the press.

However, when I look at this ring from DBL as a comparison, it looks very nearly as big as Kate's and the DBL ring is only 5.30 carats. http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/sapphire-and-diamond-ring-530ct-oval-cut-ceylon-sapphire-and-oval-diamond-ring-in-platinum-r4086

I'm not very experienced with guessing sizes in colored stones. So, what size would you guess Kate's sapphire to be? When I say size, I guess I really mean carat weight.

Guess away! :appl:

Bumping this so we can discuss size! Colored stone experts, please chime in! See above - if this DBL ring is 5.30 carats I find it hard to believe that the Diana/Kate sapphire is 12 carats, or even 8 carats. But I'm not an expert.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I have no input on size, but even as a layperson I was shocked when it was reported that the stone was 18ct! Even knowing more about jewelry now, 8ct seems like a stretch! I've never seen any really good profile shots, so I suppose a lot of weight could be hidden...

In any case, I agree with many previous posters about the ring being an odd choice. Of course we all know how attached William was to his mother, but even so, I don't think giving this ring is the best choice by which to remember her. I've read stories about how the ring was selected, and, if I'm recalling correctly, Prince Charles selected it hastily from a catalog and even then it wasn't up to par with the royal jewels. And I agree that it's a symbol of a very sad time in Diana's life, which ended bitterly. If I were Kate, I would find it difficult to wear a ring with such recent sadness attached to it. There are probably antique jewels in the Royal collection with equally sad stories, but they would seem less sad with more time put between them and the current wearer. When William proposed I expected to see something antique pulled from the Royal collection. I think a beautiful Edwardian piece (or older) would suit Kate's style much better!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know. I actually think that Diana's ring would have made a perfect right-hand ring for her grand-daughter, Princess Charlotte. Its sad history would have mattered less, I think, as a right-hand ring bequeathed to a descendant rather than used as a symbol of her son's marriage. I guess William's heart was in the right place - and also I guess it is an honor for Kate to wear it - but I do think he was a little misguided, IMHO. I'm a person who thinks that every bride deserves her own ring. But as you say, I guess the royals give from their own collections. I believe Charles's wife, Camilla, received a ring that had belonged to his grandmother.

I know the royals often don't buy new rings, but as a PSer I just groan when I think what he could have bought her. I think a 4-5 carat ACA from Whiteflash or a Brian Gavin Signature would have looked so amazing on her!

Hope the sapphire experts chime in with some good estimates of size/weight! :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have heard that the 18 ct thing was an error based on 18kt gold! I have no idea of the weight of the sapphire, it could be 5-8 depending on depth easily. I think it is a gorgeous ring and I would be very proud to wear it! I do have a replica from the time Diana got hers (it happens to be my birthstone, too), but it doesn't have a good sapphire. If I ever found a great sappphire, I wouldn't object to having it remade. It's very classic and timeless.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results