shape
carat
color
clarity

Juicing Fast

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
So To try and help my body feel better, and to lose some weight I have committed to a Juice only fast (think the reboot with joe)

I have given myself 3 milestones. First the 10 day fast. If I feel good and can continue then I will go to 30 day fast. If I feel good and want to continue then a 60 day.

I am on day 7, and so far so good, Lost about 6 pounds. I just miss chewing!

I was wondering if any of you guys have tried it, have experiences with it. Or have good juice recipes!

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I did a juice fast and felt amazing! I lasted 7 days, but then the overwhelming need to CHEW, paired with sheer boredom, caused me to fall off the wagon. But I felt really great during and after the fast. I also noticed how cleansed my palette became, and things like sugar and salt became so prominent that I found I had to cut way back, and I could really taste things in a way I never had before.

I've been meaning to give it another go - you have inspired me!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I unintentionally juice fasted once.

After a bad breakup I couldn't eat anything for like 2 weeks. All I could do was drink apple juice. Maybe the occasional 500 calorie microwave pot stickers.

Anyways, after the two weeks I lost 14 lbs. And I wasn't really an overweight gal at the time.

Not really healthy. But like I said it wasn't intentional

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ckrickett|1402243442|3688855 said:
So To try and help my body feel better, and to lose some weight I have committed to a Juice only fast (think the reboot with joe)

I have given myself 3 milestones. First the 10 day fast. If I feel good and can continue then I will go to 30 day fast. If I feel good and want to continue then a 60 day.

I was wondering if any of you guys have tried it, have experiences with it. Or have good juice recipes!

Cricket does this mean you're aiming to ingest nothing but juice for a whole 30 or 60 days? That sounds scary to me...even though I know you're not asking for advice as to whether you should be doing it...but it just seems like so long. Just be careful. :sick:

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, that's great to see you doing a juicing fast, I know a lot of people who have done it and they have all felt so much better afterwards. Hope it provides you with the cleanse and weight loss you are hoping for, you've probably gotten past the hardest stage (first week), so it should be smoother sailing from here on out.

As far as recipes go, this is in general one of my favorite sites, but here is a link to their juicing recipes: http://www.blenderbabes.com/category/beverage-recipes/juices/

I haven't done a juice cleanse yet myself, but I would think that chewing a sugar free gum made with xylitol (a natural non-fermentable carbohydrate sweetener, instead of artificial ones) when the NEED to chew is bad enough you are thinking of falling off the bandwagon might help.

Have you watched Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead? It's on Netflix, and it was very eye opening as to the power of food for our bodies.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Won't the weight return after this temporary diet change is over?

Are not permanent improvements in diet change (along with increased calorie burning) the path the permanent weight change?

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1402250393|3688900 said:

Are not permanent improvements in diet change (along with increased calorie burning) the path the permanent weight change?

I agree. Temporary solutions (for weight loss) are rarely successful in terms of long-term success.
I know people who juice - some like it, some don't. My vegan friend, who is also active/athletic, couldn't continue with juicing because even though his mind felt great, his body lacked he energy needed to continue his daily fitness routines (which is also important to one's overall well-being).

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is a great doc on netflix called fat, sick and nearly dead. It's amazing and he did a 60 day fast and changed his life and many other people's lives too. There are a lot of health benefits to juicing-what you are pretty much doing is having the vitamins/minerals/etc bypass the digestive system and go straight to the blood stream. The results are amazing and have cured many long terms illnesses since most sicknesses is a result of your body not getting the proper things it needs at the cellular level. Many things that are actually vitamin and mineral decencies can have the same/similar symptoms as depression-anxiety-and many other mental/physical/emotional and are quite often mistaken and treated for the wrong thing.

I highly recommend it to anyone. The best type of juicing is a slow juicer (so think not the jack laanne power juicer) since the way it juices introduces oxygen into the juice-which breaks it down faster. You should really drink those within 15 minutes of juicing them to get the full benefit and without losing much. The slow juicer instead of chopping it all up-squeezes the juice out of it and you can actually put it into a mason jar for a couple of days-saving yourself some time and doing a lot of juicing at once.

It's actually recommended after you do a fast-to replace the biggest meal of the day with a juice to maintain the best health-which is dinner but most people I know who do it do breakfast. The juicing recipes are very good and all should be put though a coriander to strain out the access pulp. I recommend doing a 3 day fast to begin-and working your way up to a 10 day fast. It's quite a shock to the body. I have yet to do one since it's not safe when your pregnant/nursing because the toxins that have been built up and are being released can be expressed though your breast milk. It is normal to feel craptastical after the first couple of days because the toxins being released by the body instead of being stored in fat cells can cause headaches-weakness-and it's best to take it easy and have plenty of time to nap since you will feel very drained before the energy kicks back in and you feel better than you ever have.

http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1402254558|3688921 said:

I agree. Temporary solutions (for weight loss) are rarely successful in terms of long-term success.
I know people who juice - some like it, some don't. My vegan friend, who is also active/athletic, couldn't continue with juicing because even though his mind felt great, his body lacked he energy needed to continue his daily fitness routines (which is also important to one's overall well-being).

If you're doing the juice fast to cleanse per se, then that's fine... but any weight loss will be due to water weight loss (not actual fat loss). Your body will soon go into starvation mode if your minimum calorie requirement isn't met. Also, juicing is extremely high in sugar - sugar-free preparations and even fresh fruits still have a ton of carbs/sugars. Once your body goes into fasting mode and you start consuming virtually all carbohydrates, you will gain all the weight back plus some extra. A 7 day juice fast is okay for an event or to become "less bloated" for a bit, but it tends to bite ya in the butt if the intention is to lose weight.

I totally understand wanting to do this though... I have tried pretty much every "fad" diet there is, from Weight Watchers to cabbage soup to HCG injections. As much as I hate it, there is only one "diet" that will be effective in weight loss and that is counting calories. Your body doesn't know or care what "type" of calories you consume, it only knows to burn the calorie (energy). THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS "GOOD" OR "BAD" CALORIES -- they are indistinguishable by the human body. Eating 5-6 times per day, eating every 3 hours. This will keep your metabolism active and curb hunger.

If you're interested, it's super simple to do:
Calculate your "caloric need" then cut back the calories (never going lower than 1200/day). Then you'll know approximately how long it will take to expect weight loss, i.e. if you cut 500 calories per day, then you can expect to lose approximately 1 lb per week. If your calorie intake is 1500 calories/day, the meal plan would look something like 300 (breakfast) -100 (snack) -400 (lunch) -100 (s) -500 (dinner) -100 (s)... You can eat whatever you like, as long as you count the calories. Seriously, anything. I ate froyo for lunch last week, and it was glorious! ;)) :lol: :lol: :halo:

There are only three "food rules" to this... 1) Do you like it? -- if you like it, then you'll have less chance of getting that "I'm on a diet" mentality. 2) Is it easy/convenient for your lifestyle? -- no crazy recipes that take forever. Do you like Egg McMuffins? GREAT! That's your 300 calories for breakfast! No preparation needed! :bigsmile: and 3) does it fit into your calorie plan? -- self explanatory... just count the calories! :)) ...and of course exercise (even just 10-15 min of weights 5 days/week) will build more lean muscle to help burn calories at a faster rate.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, the weight will return because it's not really fat loss... you'll be losing excess water in the body (the big drop in weight most see in the first 7-10 days) and loss of lean muscle mass (so you'll be losing the very thing you need to burn calories to begin with). Ultimately, any loss of weight on the scales is just temporary, and once it's over you'll be "fatter" than ever -- less lean muscle (propensity to burn fewer calories) + higher fat:muscle ratio = much more difficulty in maintaining/continual fat loss.

Yes, it's a life change... as much as I hate that, it's true. ::)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
vintagelover229|1402258173|3688941 said:
There are a lot of health benefits to juicing-what you are pretty much doing is having the vitamins/minerals/etc bypass the digestive system and go straight to the blood stream.

Okay, this is 100% incorrect. It isn't possible. Anything injested has to move thru the GI system for digestion to occur, regardless of what the infomercial claims. :wacko:

I highly recommend it to anyone. The best type of juicing is a slow juicer (so think not the jack laanne power juicer) since the way it juices introduces oxygen into the juice-which breaks it down faster. You should really drink those within 15 minutes of juicing them to get the full benefit and without losing much. The slow juicer instead of chopping it all up-squeezes the juice out of it and you can actually put it into a mason jar for a couple of days-saving yourself some time and doing a lot of juicing at once. It's actually recommended after you do a fast-to replace the biggest meal of the day with a juice to maintain the best health-which is dinner but most people I know who do it do breakfast. The juicing recipes are very good and all should be put though a coriander to strain out the access pulp. I recommend doing a 3 day fast to begin-and working your way up to a 10 day fast. It's quite a shock to the body.

Fasts in general are not a good idea unless supervised by a medical professional. They can be dangerous when not done the right way (and each person's caloric and vitamin/mineral/electrolyte needs are different). Doing a fast the wrong way can cause an array of adverse events, from muscle cramping to heart attacks. Any fast is a shock to the body because the body is used to solid food and more calories. Juice fasting done the right way can help cleanse the body of toxins and provide vitamins and minerals... so can clean eating. :|

I have yet to do one since it's not safe when your pregnant/nursing because the toxins that have been built up and are being released can be expressed though your breast milk. It is normal to feel craptastical after the first couple of days because the toxins being released by the body instead of being stored in fat cells can cause headaches-weakness-and it's best to take it easy and have plenty of time to nap since you will feel very drained before the energy kicks back in and you feel better than you ever have.

This feeling is most likely due to the extreme decrease in calories to the body = no energy/lethargy, headaches, irritability. The reason people feel better and have a burst of energy after a 7-10 day fast is because their bodies are now receiving calories that had been deprived previously = energy.

The short message is that any drastic change in diet need to be done under the approval and watch of a medical professional to ensure safe and effecacious results.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just cutting sugar and processed junk out of your diet will help, you'll feel that icky withdrawl type feeling b/c your body misses it, but you'll feel better after. I would think doing fruit/veggie/protein smoothie drinks would be better than straight juice. You'd get your caloric and nutritional needs.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1402261511|3688964 said:
Just cutting sugar and processed junk out of your diet will help, you'll feel that icky withdrawl type feeling b/c your body misses it, but you'll feel better after. I would think doing fruit/veggie/protein smoothie drinks would be better than straight juice. You'd get your caloric and nutritional needs.

Pretty much, packrat! :bigsmile: :wavey: ...that would be an alternative for sure. :))

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
What kind of juicer are you using? We have a masticating Omega VRT which is awesome! Dr. Oz has some great juicing recipes and we follow a bunch of them. We did a juice fast in April and have been juicing weekly since. Starting off the day with some great, fresh juice (usually apple, carrot, celery, ginger) then a healthy lunch, salad with protein (fish), then a heartier dinner. We also make a super green juice which is 6-8 kale leaves, 1 cucumber, half a lemon, 2 green apples, and a nub of ginger. I believe you can get that recipe on the Dr. Oz page too-- here's the link http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/joe-cross-3-day-weekend-juice-cleanse
The gazpacho juice is great, it tastes like salsa!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
msop04|1402261160|3688962 said:
vintagelover229|1402258173|3688941 said:
There are a lot of health benefits to juicing-what you are pretty much doing is having the vitamins/minerals/etc bypass the digestive system and go straight to the blood stream.

Okay, this is 100% incorrect. It isn't possible. Anything injested has to move thru the GI system for digestion to occur, regardless of what the infomercial claims. :wacko:

I highly recommend it to anyone. The best type of juicing is a slow juicer (so think not the jack laanne power juicer) since the way it juices introduces oxygen into the juice-which breaks it down faster. You should really drink those within 15 minutes of juicing them to get the full benefit and without losing much. The slow juicer instead of chopping it all up-squeezes the juice out of it and you can actually put it into a mason jar for a couple of days-saving yourself some time and doing a lot of juicing at once. It's actually recommended after you do a fast-to replace the biggest meal of the day with a juice to maintain the best health-which is dinner but most people I know who do it do breakfast. The juicing recipes are very good and all should be put though a coriander to strain out the access pulp. I recommend doing a 3 day fast to begin-and working your way up to a 10 day fast. It's quite a shock to the body.

Fasts in general are not a good idea unless supervised by a medical professional. They can be dangerous when not done the right way (and each person's caloric and vitamin/mineral/electrolyte needs are different). Doing a fast the wrong way can cause an array of adverse events, from muscle cramping to heart attacks. Any fast is a shock to the body because the body is used to solid food and more calories. Juice fasting done the right way can help cleanse the body of toxins and provide vitamins and minerals... so can clean eating. :|

I have yet to do one since it's not safe when your pregnant/nursing because the toxins that have been built up and are being released can be expressed though your breast milk. It is normal to feel craptastical after the first couple of days because the toxins being released by the body instead of being stored in fat cells can cause headaches-weakness-and it's best to take it easy and have plenty of time to nap since you will feel very drained before the energy kicks back in and you feel better than you ever have.

This feeling is most likely due to the extreme decrease in calories to the body = no energy/lethargy, headaches, irritability. The reason people feel better and have a burst of energy after a 7-10 day fast is because their bodies are now receiving calories that had been deprived previously = energy.

The short message is that any drastic change in diet need to be done under the approval and watch of a medical professional to ensure safe and effecacious results.

Thanks for posting this info:) It's amazing (and a bit scary) how much misinformation there is out there. Juicing and/or fasting may work for some, but I agree that such drastic changes in one's diet should be guided by a medical professional.

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on the upcoming wedding!

Have you looked at Spark People? I love their food tracker since it breaks stuff up into what your body needs. They also have some great recipes including for various juice or smoothie like things.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi crickett, congratulations on your upcoming wedding!
I never did juicing but a friend of mine highly recommends the NutriBullet pro 900 series. I am considering getting it just to juice occasionally.

Nyc2chigal

Shiny_Rock
As long as your nutrition intake is good, this could really improve your health, among other things, for sure!

You mentioned that you miss chewing... Can you occasionally eat the fruit that you're juicing? Sorry if it sounds like astupid question.

nkarma

Brilliant_Rock
msop04|1402259462|3688951 said:

Calculate your "caloric need" then cut back the calories (never going lower than 1200/day). Then you'll know approximately how long it will take to expect weight loss, i.e. if you cut 500 calories per day, then you can expect to lose approximately 1 lb per week. If your calorie intake is 1500 calories/day, the meal plan would look something like 300 (breakfast) -100 (snack) -400 (lunch) -100 (s) -500 (dinner) -100 (s)... You can eat whatever you like, as long as you count the calories. Seriously, anything. I ate froyo for lunch last week, and it was glorious! ;)) :lol: :lol: :halo:

There are only three "food rules" to this... 1) Do you like it? -- if you like it, then you'll have less chance of getting that "I'm on a diet" mentality. 2) Is it easy/convenient for your lifestyle? -- no crazy recipes that take forever. Do you like Egg McMuffins? GREAT! That's your 300 calories for breakfast! No preparation needed! :bigsmile: and 3) does it fit into your calorie plan? -- self explanatory... just count the calories! :)) ...and of course exercise (even just 10-15 min of weights 5 days/week) will build more lean muscle to help burn calories at a faster rate.

I lost 33+ lbs doing exactly this and have kept it off for many years. I lost 25 lbs from calorie counting for 4 months in 2007 and then about 8 lbs over 2 months in 2010. Since I ate the things I regularly do, I learned in detail how many calories are in and what suitable portions are for my common foods. I have always eaten healthy foods, it was just cutting down the portions and calories so I could lose the weight. I kept my fitness level basically the same cause I know when I ramp it up, my body asks for more food to keep it going.

My friends who juice regularly (30 days straight at a time) have been yo-yoing +/- 10-15 lbs for the past several years. What's funny is I think they are beautiful either way and don't really notice when they gain or lose weight.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nkarma|1402322368|3689344 said:
msop04|1402259462|3688951 said:

I lost 33+ lbs doing exactly this and have kept it off for many years. I lost 25 lbs from calorie counting for 4 months in 2007 and then about 8 lbs over 2 months in 2010. Since I ate the things I regularly do, I learned in detail how many calories are in and what suitable portions are for my common foods. I have always eaten healthy foods, it was just cutting down the portions and calories so I could lose the weight. I kept my fitness level basically the same cause I know when I ramp it up, my body asks for more food to keep it going.

My friends who juice regularly (30 days straight at a time) have been yo-yoing +/- 10-15 lbs for the past several years. What's funny is I think they are beautiful either way and don't really notice when they gain or lose weight.

Congratulations on your weight loss and successful maintenance (that's the hard part for me...) -- it's so nice to eat foods you like and lose/maintain weight! Learning portion control and calorie content is key! Good for you!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Crickett! I have done a juice fast for about a week. I felt pretty good. I found it hard to stay on and I really didn't lose all that much weight. I think I was using too much fruit. I did use a lot of veggies but also a lot of fruit. I would never sit and eat three or four pieces of fruit but I did juice them!!!

My hubby does it a lot more than I do. He has a 'Fitness for Life' test every summer for his work and last year he had been doing a lot of juice fasts and he surpassed all of his previous years in the test. He had not exercised any more than usual but in every category he did far better. He totally attributes it to juicing. The Dr. told him he wished everyone his age did as well as he did.

These days if I juice some veggies, I turn around and dump the juice in my vitamix and add measured amounts of fruit. I also felt bad throwing away all the fruit pulp. I feel like this way, I get the best of both worlds.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would think drinking a fruit & veg smoothies for a few days won't ham you BUT it's certainly not a fountain of youth/weightloss/whatever else they are peddling! Go to a doctor and discuss a sensible long-term diet if you really want to make sustained changes to your diet. :read:

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
ckrickett|1402243442|3688855 said:

Sorry this thread has taken a turn away from your original comment. I haven't done a juice cleanse, but I have incorporated veggie juices into my diet after getting a juicer at home. I like to juice spinach, kale, and lemon for a little kick and taste. I've never really tried any recipes--I just throw in what I have at home. I think the process is kind of fun, and love having a cold, healthy drink.

Congrats to you on losing weight as well. I think that cutting out processed foods can really clear your palate and reset some cravings.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was thinking the same thing, IndyLady. Crickett didn't really ask what people thought of the whole idea, just if we had any experience or good recipes. In the juices I have made, I really like a bit of ginger. Gives it a nice kick, and ginger has so many health benefits.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Ginger is so delicious in green juices! I absolutely love it. I agree, too, about many of the responses on this thread. I'm sure CK has dedicated health professionals in her life to give advice about the benefits and risks of her diet. Different methods of losing weight are helpful to different people, and some part of that is mental. I do realize the bottom line is as easy as, "eat healthy, move more," but if losing were that easy, it wouldn't be such a problem in our society. For some, gradual change is more difficult than going cold turkey. I see a juice cleanse, or any other restrictive diet, as a 'cold turkey' kind of life change, that gives you a mental kick start and clean slate. For others, it doesn't work that way, and the momentum runs out. If CK said she wanted to go on an illicit drug binge--sure, I'd say something. A binge on veggie juice? That's CK's prerogative.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
IndyLady|1402431286|3690277 said:
Ginger is so delicious in green juices! I absolutely love it. I agree, too, about many of the responses on this thread. I'm sure CK has dedicated health professionals in her life to give advice about the benefits and risks of her diet. Different methods of losing weight are helpful to different people, and some part of that is mental. I do realize the bottom line is as easy as, "eat healthy, move more," but if losing were that easy, it wouldn't be such a problem in our society. For some, gradual change is more difficult than going cold turkey. I see a juice cleanse, or any other restrictive diet, as a 'cold turkey' kind of life change, that gives you a mental kick start and clean slate. For others, it doesn't work that way, and the momentum runs out. If CK said she wanted to go on an illicit drug binge--sure, I'd say something. A binge on veggie juice? That's CK's prerogative.

:)

I did consult 2 doctors beforehand (my general and my neurologist). My partners cholesterol is high and she (our general) has been pushing a mostly vegetarian diet on him. So doing this will help us both since he'll have 1-2 a day.

I'm not sure if I'll do a primary juice fast for 60 days. I'll probably sub one juice meal for a lean high protein meal. So far though I've been feeling great. But this is DEFINITELY not good for long term.

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't done juicing, but I do love a good smoothie (or whatever you want to call it when I blend a bunch of stuff together!)

I can't do just the veggie/fruit because my body needs protein or I get really sick. I love adding a bit of super soft tofu. I get the added protein and it makes it a bit creamier.

For a bit of texture for your craving to chew, can you freeze some of the fruits/veggies? This way gives you a bit of a thick-milkshake sort of texture rather than just liquid. Not sure how your juicing thing works so this may not work for you.

Have you tried champagne mangos? (I've also seen them called ataulfo mangos) They are super yummy and far less of a pain to cut than the regular mangos. They are amazing in juiced stuff!

If you go to meals with juicing for one per day, look at some of the great Mediterranean veggie recipes. You can get a very filling meal with lots of nutrients but still low in the calories. (watch the nuts & seeds though!)

For the chewing cravings, could you freeze some of your juice into popsicles? (again, not sure if the juicing fast lets you do this or not)

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I would love to try this but I workout six days a week and there is no way I would have enough energy to get through my workouts.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock

The thing is I already eat very clean and light, and am extremely active. I got put on medication (BC and a steroid later on) that DESTROYED my metabolism and made me gain an extreme amount of weight in a short period of time. I have been actively working it off for 2 years and I have barely lost 5 pounds.

I eat about 1500-1800 calories a day that are mostly lean proteins, vegetables, and fruits, and I am active.

So if I can do something to try and reset everything, then my already healthy habits should help keep the weight off, and then I should be able to lose.

I talked to 2 of my doctors about this and they said it should be worth a try, but to take supplements and after 10 days maybe sub out one juice meal for a lean high protein meal.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
packrat|1402261511|3688964 said:

I cut out sodas about a year ago, now I drink tea, coffee (on occasion not sugary lattes) and water and coconut water. As for processed foods, that is a RARITY.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results