shape
carat
color
clarity

Job Interview!!! Need some dust and advice!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
I applied for a new job in the Pittsburgh area (DH and I currently live in the Youngstown, OH area) and just had a mini phone interview with them! I''m so excited that they called me, especially since I only applied on Sunday night! The recruiter is going to call me back later today or tomorrow to set up an interview time at the Pittsburgh office (he''s actually in Erie which is where their home office is located).

Here''s where it gets tricky: I have no vacation time left at my current job and both Erie and Pittsburgh are about 1.5 hrs away from where I am now, so it''s not like I''ll be able to just do an interview on my lunch break. I really didn''t want to tell my current employer that I''m planning on leaving until I had an offer I planned on accepting. My boss is...well...interesting. Sometimes he''s really nice, but if he percieives me as screwing him over he will try to screw me over. I''ve confided in one coworker and she agreed that I shouldn''t tell anyone here that I''m looking until I''m ready to leave.

So, would you just call in sick? I really hate lying and I also suck at it
8.gif

Also, the interview process is a multi-step process (6 to be exact). The recruiter I spoke to said that they should be able to combine steps since I live out of town, but I''ll definitely need to make at least one trip to Pittsburgh and one trip to Erie.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Robbie, first of all congrats on your upcoming interview. As for calling in sick... I know what you mean about not wanting to lie but if you don't have any other good options you might have to do that. Could you maybe work late an extra hour a day for 8 days to make up for each day you need to take? Or do you have any personal days left (although I'm sure you would have thought of that too).

BTW, I grew up in Monroeville so it's always fun to see your posts about the Pittsburgh area!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats also on getting that interview.

I agree with DJ. Is there any other way to get the time off? I really wouldn''t recommend calling in sick if you really are not.

Good luck, Robbie.

snowflakeluvr

Shiny_Rock
good luck to you and upcoming interview(s). i am also from pittsburgh area and always marvel when visiting home, how friendly people are and how wonderful the food is. we now live in western ohio, and let''s just say that people here are um, different. if you are serious about leaving your job, calling in sick may be your only option. if your current boss is a stinker, do what is best for you. good luck again!

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
I''m sure I could work extra hours to take the time off, but my boss is going to want to know why I need the time and I really don''t know what to say to him.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Robbie, I agree that working extra hours is the better way to go.

I would say something like "There's something important and personal I need to attend to." If your boss has any class, he won't continue to press you. And, it's not a lie.

GOOD LUCK!

labbielove

Brilliant_Rock
Yes I agree, don''t lie- I would stick with the personal or family situation explanation-
Good luck,
and congrats on the interview!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2007 10:41:17 AM
Author: Independent Gal
Robbie, I agree that working extra hours is the better way to go.

I would say something like ''There''s something important and personal I need to attend to.'' If your boss has any class, he won''t continue to press you. And, it''s not a lie.

GOOD LUCK!
I was thinking along the same lines. Saying something like this is perfect. Good luck with the interview, sending buckets of fairy dust your way!!!
36.gif

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Lots of dust coming your way Robbie!!!

I always say I have a personal appointment and I''ve NEVER been asked what it is. Good luck!!

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone! I just hope my boss doesn''t ask what my personal appointment is.
32.gif

Would it be wrong to ask what the salary range is when the recruiter calls me back? I''d hate to go through a long interview process to find out it''s way lower than I thought (not that it could really be much less than what I make now).

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sending lots of good interview vibes!!!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your boss shouldn''t push you to tell him why you need the time off.... If he does its not nice!

I hope your interview goes very well!

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Interview is Tuesday at 2, so make sure that you kick up the job dust around then ;-).

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would just call in sick. If you're a bad liar and he presses you on the personal private thing, what are you going to say? I think it's much easier to call in and say that you've been throwing up or whatever. Just my opinion! (I don't advocate lying, but it sounds like you don't have much of a choice.)

Keeping my fingers crossed for you and sending PS dust your way!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations Robbie! Here are all your options as I see it:

1. call in sick for both days (if you end up needing to go to Pittsburgh and Erie)
2. work extra hours and then ask your boss for a personal day (or two if needed)
3. use one day as a sick day and ask for one day for personal business (I really hope your boss isn''t nosy enough to ask what the personal business is but if he does, I wouldn''t tell him. That''s why they''re called "personal.")
1.gif

I''d probably go with #3.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
If you aren''t ill...don''t claim to be
38.gif

Prospective boss may speak to current boss...you never want the new guy to think you are quick to tell a lie. You want to start off on the right foot...and not with it in your mouth.

Personal business. Find out a replacement slot to fill in the lost time. Offer an extra hour off the clock if you have to.

You are a big girl...wearing those larger sized panties...you can handle it like one!!
2.gif
Kay?

Got my dust mask on...ready to shovel it!! You won''t need it Robbie...have confidence in yourself...we do! you rock! §

ang3199

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/29/2007 10:15:18 AM
Author: Dee*Jay
Robbie, first of all congrats on your upcoming interview. As for calling in sick... I know what you mean about not wanting to lie but if you don''t have any other good options you might have to do that. Could you maybe work late an extra hour a day for 8 days to make up for each day you need to take? Or do you have any personal days left (although I''m sure you would have thought of that too).

BTW, I grew up in Monroeville so it''s always fun to see your posts about the Pittsburgh area!

Threadjack Threadjack, sorry.

I live near there now!!!

PS Robbie: you go girl
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Who knew so many of us were from or are now living in the Burgh?

I told my boss that I need to take a half day on Tuesday to take care of a personal matter and asked if I could make up the hours by coming in early and staying late. He just kept saying yeah, that''s fine. I think he was annoyed that I was interrupting his paper reading
20.gif
. Oh well. At least he didn''t press me on what it was. Whew!

Now on to worrying about the interview and pre-employment test
32.gif
!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
GL with the interview :) it is always a good sign when they call you back early :)

If you need to lie about a sick day always call as soon as you wake up as if your like me and have a groggy morning voice you should sound sick enough to be believable to pass for being ill
5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results