carat
color
clarity

It's already starting.... Abortion Ban

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovedogs|1481172464|4105556 said:
DeeJay, I love you in all posts, but those last 2 were particularly enjoyable. Redwood: I know we have differing opinions, but I always have tried to be respectful (and you have done the same). But I take issue with your claim
the delivery and stabbing of a baby's head with a sharp instrument when it could survive is absolutely disgusting.
. That reads like something out of fiction--that isn't something that happens.

Right back at ya lovedogs!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maria D|1481170621|4105546 said:
redwood66|1481163411|4105520 said:
Not a hill I want to die on. There are many more important issues like jobs, economy, security that are at the top of my list so I do not want to debate the issue. IMO - there should be a point at which an abortion cannot be performed - the delivery and stabbing of a baby's head with a sharp instrument when it could survive is absolutely disgusting.

ETA - This article says Kasich has voiced doubts the bill in the past due to legal problems it will have.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2016/12/07/ohio-heartbeat-bill-abortion-ban/95082322/

If this bill is passed that point could be before a woman even realizes she's pregnant.

As for "the delivery and stabbing of a baby's head with a sharp instrument when it could survive is absolutely disgusting," what has that got to do with the issue at hand?

Late term abortions are extremely rare and when they do occur it is almost always because of fetal abnormalities. When that is not the case, it is usually because of legislative or financial roadblocks that prevent access to safe abortion.

Oh, I see you do not wish to debate the issue. I guess you just wanted to write a gory sentence for the hell of it then?

As far as I am aware, there are opinions on both sides. Rare or not they are still disgusting. And that, as I said, was my opinion - you don't have to like it, but that they happen at all is disgusting and yes gory. I won't whitewash it under the terms pro choice or women's rights. Late term abortions are disgusting to me. I am allowed that opinion am I not? And as I said this is low on my list of issues and not worthy for me to debate.

There are many with my same opinion.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay|1481174637|4105567 said:
ruby59|1481174040|4105562 said:
Dee*Jay|1481172008|4105554 said:
ruby59|1481135548|4105409 said:
Dee*Jay|1481130524|4105388 said:
I guess it's time to start making donations to Planned Parenthood in Kashich's name and making sure he gets the thank you letters. If enough of them go out, especially from the people of Ohio, perhaps he'll get the message that voters pay attention to these things.

Governor John Kasich
Riffe Center, 30th Floor
77 South High Street
Columbus, OH 43215-6117
Phone: (614) 466-3555

Boy, this election cycle has been a very good thing for Planned Parenthood's coffers -- I'm thrilled they are receiving additional funds (although obviously not thrilled that it had to come in this way... ).

And yes (Ruby), I know full well that Kasich is not going to receive any of these thank you notes personally, but hopefully the sheer number of donations made in his name with be newsworthy, just like all the ones made in Pence's name.

You can give daily donations to Planned Parenthood if that is what you want.

As far as it being newsworthy, if it were the worst thing to happen in this world I would be happy. But considering what is occurring daily, I doubt it.

And to be perfectly clear, I mean the worst thing that this governor is being deluged by unwanted mail.

I am not referring to abortions. On that imo it is a decision a woman makes with her doctor.

But if it helps you cope better go for it.

Ruby, thank you ever so much for giving me permission to "cope" in whatever way I feel appropriate. :rolleyes:

When you specifically call some one out by screen name in a post, you should expect a response.

Oh don't you worry Rub, I knew you'd respond to my post whether I called you out by name or not.

This is ridiculous.

Go upthread. You people make me quote the whole thing. But look at what I highlighted. Just the paragraph relating to me.

If you had not baited me, why would I have responded to you?

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have read that Kasich does not like this bill because it does not take exception to rape and incest. Also the time is too short and he favors 20 weeks instead, like many other states already have.

The MSM might to be making a bigger issue than it might actually be. He can line item this section out and might do it since there is another bill with 20 week limit. It would be a legal problem for Ohio.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
I am not sure, but when are the chromosomal abnormalities detected.

Isn't it at 4 months or maybe 5.

So I agree heartbeat which can be detected under 10 weeks is not long enough.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1481175357|4105571 said:
Dee*Jay|1481174637|4105567 said:
ruby59|1481174040|4105562 said:
Dee*Jay|1481172008|4105554 said:
ruby59|1481135548|4105409 said:
Dee*Jay|1481130524|4105388 said:
I guess it's time to start making donations to Planned Parenthood in Kashich's name and making sure he gets the thank you letters. If enough of them go out, especially from the people of Ohio, perhaps he'll get the message that voters pay attention to these things.

Governor John Kasich
Riffe Center, 30th Floor
77 South High Street
Columbus, OH 43215-6117
Phone: (614) 466-3555

Boy, this election cycle has been a very good thing for Planned Parenthood's coffers -- I'm thrilled they are receiving additional funds (although obviously not thrilled that it had to come in this way... ).

And yes (Ruby), I know full well that Kasich is not going to receive any of these thank you notes personally, but hopefully the sheer number of donations made in his name with be newsworthy, just like all the ones made in Pence's name.

You can give daily donations to Planned Parenthood if that is what you want.

As far as it being newsworthy, if it were the worst thing to happen in this world I would be happy. But considering what is occurring daily, I doubt it.

And to be perfectly clear, I mean the worst thing that this governor is being deluged by unwanted mail.

I am not referring to abortions. On that imo it is a decision a woman makes with her doctor.

But if it helps you cope better go for it.

Ruby, thank you ever so much for giving me permission to "cope" in whatever way I feel appropriate. :rolleyes:

When you specifically call some one out by screen name in a post, you should expect a response.

Oh don't you worry Rub, I knew you'd respond to my post whether I called you out by name or not.

This is ridiculous.

Go upthread. You people make me quote the whole thing. But look at what I highlighted. Just the paragraph relating to me.

If you had not baited me, why would I have responded to you?

You respond to my posts whether I have baited you or not. I chose to address the onslaught I knew was coming head on.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where's Matata? I always enjoy her input on these threads!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1481174803|4105569 said:
Not a hill I want to die on. There are many more important issues like jobs, economy, security that are at the top of my list so I do not want to debate the issue. IMO - there should be a point at which an abortion cannot be performed - the delivery and stabbing of a baby's head with a sharp instrument when it could survive is absolutely disgusting.

ETA - This article says Kasich has voiced doubts the bill in the past due to legal problems it will have.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2016/12/07/ohio-heartbeat-bill-abortion-ban/95082322/

If this bill is passed that point could be before a woman even realizes she's pregnant.

As for "the delivery and stabbing of a baby's head with a sharp instrument when it could survive is absolutely disgusting," what has that got to do with the issue at hand?

Late term abortions are extremely rare and when they do occur it is almost always because of fetal abnormalities. When that is not the case, it is usually because of legislative or financial roadblocks that prevent access to safe abortion.

Oh, I see you do not wish to debate the issue. I guess you just wanted to write a gory sentence for the hell of it then?

As far as I am aware, there are opinions on both sides. Rare or not they are still disgusting. And that, as I said, was my opinion - you don't have to like it, but that they happen at all is disgusting and yes gory. I won't whitewash it under the terms pro choice or women's rights. Late term abortions are disgusting to me. I am allowed that opinion am I not? And as I said this is low on my list of issues and not worthy for me to debate.

Red, Obviously you know of no one who has given birth to a baby that should have never been born due to severe birth defects. I do. The baby was born and the doctors didn't know how the woman's body had not miscarried. She had not had an ultrasound during the pregnancy (I do not remember the reasons why one was not done). The baby was supposed to live hours and unfortunately lived 2 months. Those were 2 months of pure hell for both the baby and the parents. There are reasons for late term abortions.... These decisons need to be made by a woman and her doctor, not our government. I'm not trying to be disrespectful and you are entitled to your opinions but please try to understand that not everything in life is black and white. Just because you haven't seen something first hand does not mean it doesn't happen. This poor woman had a mental breakdown.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1481219721|4105641 said:
These decisions need to be made by a woman and her doctor, not our government.
Agreed 100%. Government has no business making these decisions.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1481176306|4105576 said:
I am burned out. When I can predict the answers of certain posters and they respond as predicted (because their responses to any issue are always the same), I prefer to just read and :rolleyes: in anonymity. There is a certain level of stupid that may occur which may prompt me to post but the bar has been set so low, it's difficult to muster the energy to respond.

Luv you Dee*Jay. Hope to see you again at an annual PS get together.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Red, Obviously you know of no one who has given birth to a baby that should have never been born due to severe birth defects. I do. The baby was born and the doctors didn't know how the woman's body had not miscarried. She had not had an ultrasound during the pregnancy (I do not remember the reasons why one was not done). The baby was supposed to live hours and unfortunately lived 2 months. Those were 2 months of pure hell for both the baby and the parents. There are reasons for late term abortions.... These decisons need to be made by a woman and her doctor, not our government. I'm not trying to be disrespectful and you are entitled to your opinions but please try to understand that not everything in life is black and white. Just because you haven't seen something first hand does not mean it doesn't happen. This poor woman had a mental breakdown.

Callie I am sorry this happened to your friend. I also appreciate you allowing me to have my opinion on things. :wavey:

E B

Ideal_Rock
Callie, how heartbreaking. I'm so sorry they had to go through that.

It should absolutely be the woman's decision, for that reason and many others.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1481138709|4105421 said:
Thank you Dee Jay. Now I don't need to look up the address for Governor Kasich. I definitely plan on making another Planned Parenthood donation.

The Pittsburgh working class Catholic life rears its ugly head again. Breed, breed, breed, all you women! That's what God made women for! ;-D :lol: Western PA and lots of Ohio, the old Rust Belt, are filled with bitter millworker-type people of Mediterranean and Eastern European Catholic background, and the woman-hating is rampant. (As is a strong anti-intellectual bias, I might add.) Those men must be really insecure, because they have such an unusual need to control their women and lord it over them. Combine the two and you get extreme nonsense like the Ohio Heartbeat Law. Just how the Hades do they ever intend to enforce such a law, and under what conditions? What will the punishment be, and for whom? Where will they put all the abandoned infants, and who will foot the bills and do all the work of raising them properly?

Whoever said that poor and middle class women will suffer the most was exactly right. Back when I was in high school, there were lots of girls who had sex without contraceptives (duh! I presume religion played a strong part ...) The daughters of the small town upper crust secretly got abortions somewhere out of state. I personally know two who took a bus trip to New York state and had abortions. One got sent to live with relatives out of state and I presume that was because she didn't abort. It was only the lower and lower middle class girls who had to endure the smalltown hell of pregnant out of wedlock.

http://www.npr.org/sections/itsallpolitics/2015/07/20/424834838/5-things-you-should-know-about-john-kasich
...As Kasich joins the Republican presidential field, here are five things you should know about him:

1. Raised as a Catholic, Kasich once considered becoming a priest.

The oldest of three kids, Kasich was born in McKees Rocks, Pa., to two Democratic postal workers; his father was a mailman and his mom worked in the post office. His was a blue-collar, Catholic family typical of the Pittsburgh suburbs at the time.

Kasich was an altar boy, and even then his ambition was evident. In his 2010 memoir Every Other Monday, Kasich detailed his faith journey, writing that it was one he took seriously and that he didn't like anyone getting in his way.

His childhood friend David Cercone told the Cleveland Plain Dealer last year: "90 percent of Catholic boys at some point wanted to be a priest. ... John wasn't just going to be a priest, though. He was going to be the pope."...

He may be Anglican now, but those raised in the grubby milltown working class Catholic mindset really haven't updated their views on women any in the past 150 years. Some of them left the Catholic church (mostly over divorces and remarriage), and joined Assembly of God or the more charismatic feel-good ministries. But they never lost their obsession with sex and the breeding obligations of women. And they've just never learned how to sin and "own it" or buck the dogma like a boss, either. :lol: :roll: Some of those women are so beaten down and submissive that's it's sickening.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1481221481|4105657 said:

Callie I am sorry this happened to your friend. I also appreciate you allowing me to have my opinion on things. :wavey:

Red, Well that didn't turn out the way I was hoping. All I was really trying to say is there are reasons late term abortion have been made legal. The last thing this woman wanted was to lose her baby and was devastated. It was one of the most heart wrenching things a person could go thru. This baby suffered horribly for those two months.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1481223421|4105663 said:
redwood66|1481221481|4105657 said:

Red, Well that didn't turn out the way I was hoping. All I was really trying to say is there are reasons late term abortion have been made legal. The last thing this woman wanted was to lose her baby and was devastated. It was one of the most heart wrenching things a person could go thru. This baby suffered horribly for those two months.

Oh I did not mean what I said badly. Sorry it sounded that way. :wavey:

I am sure the whole thing was terrible and it sounds like a heart wrenching situation I would never want to endure or wish on anyone.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

My brother and his wife had a similar situation.

Their baby was born without a brain, just the brain stem. She was supposed to die shortly after birth but lived almost a year.

She was hooked up to all this machinery that would signal if she stopped breathing. And that thing went off almost every night.

It was agonizing and almost destroyed their marriage.

But by the time the doctors figured out that something was wrong it was too late to abort.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for replying Red. I thought you might have been upset with me.

Ruby, It was a similar situation. The baby was born with no brain, just a brain stem along with organs not functioning properly. He also had no nose or eyes. One leg was half the size of the other, one foot was larger than the leg. The doctors had said her body should have aborted the baby early on in the pregnancy. I'm sorry you also know of someone who experienced something similar. When I hear of late term abortions I always think of what this family went thru.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake and Ruby,
That is such a horrible experience for the parents. I'm so very sorry.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Calliecake|1481225772|4105671 said:
Thanks for replying Red. I thought you might have been upset with me.

Ruby, It was a similar situation. The baby was born with no brain, just a brain stem along with organs not functioning properly. He also had no nose or eyes. One leg was half the size of the other, one foot was larger than the leg. The doctors had said her body should have aborted the baby early on in the pregnancy. I'm sorry you also know of someone who experienced something similar. When I hear of late term abortions I always think of what this family went thru.

That is why when it comes to any medical decision, bureaucrats should not get involved.

Each situation has to be looked at and decided based on the circumstance.

I remember before abortions became legal when women would have to carry a dead fetus to term.

To add:

I remember my mom telling me that back then if there was something wrong with the baby doctors told you to jump around and do all kinds of crazy things so that you would miscarry on your own.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please read up on laws regarding post-viability abortions. These are not legal unless there is grave risk to the mother's health, the baby's health or both. State's laws vary.

This isn't the same as partial birth abortion, which is what redwood described, which is illegal.

Too many assumptions are made regarding abortions in general, but especially about the later term abortions. As women, we should realize that these are some of our saddest stories and rally around the women who have had to experience this type of loss.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1481170424|4105543 said:
IndyLady|1481165174|4105527 said:
kenny|1481148791|4105461 said:
Calliecake|1481142992|4105442 said:
katharath|1481142773|4105441 said:
lovedogs|1481142249|4105440 said:
katharath|1481142125|4105438 said:
It's revolting. I feel sickened by what is happening on a daily basis. Honestly, it's affecting my mental health. That's a big reason I haven't been posting much lately. Just so disheartened in general.

I 100% could have written this. I feel like the second I "forget" about the BS going on (because I'm distracted at work, watching tv, etc), something else happens to snap me back into the ugly reality. I feel almost paralyzing depression/hopelessness if I think about it for too long.

Oh Lovedogs...I'm sorry you feel this way too, and yes that's exactly how I feel!! I know there are many of us out there. Many, many, many. I think knowing that (and reading posts like yours, which commiserate) helps a tiny bit.

Whew, I thought I was alone in feeling this way. I feel as though women are going back to being second class citizens.

+1

I'm a man.
But, +1

+100%. I'm working on an asylum application right now, and I am really worried that the applicant and her daughter will not be granted asylum. Its one thing to have me and my rights on my mind, but another thing altogether to feel responsible (both as her attorney and also as an American) for another person, even though the outcome of the application is out of my control.

IndyLady,

You must have been very reticent about being an attorney. I have loved you for many years, yet never realized that you were one (something I usually note about posters who are). Why haven't you mentioned it more often...or at all?

Deb,
your biggest fan :wavey:

PS-Sorry not to address the issue of the thread. I am too depressed to do so.

Deb, its so wonderful to 'see' you here and to read your post to me! All is well, but I've been having a bit of a challenging season, and your message was truly a delight and a little spot of sunshine in my day. I am an attorney, its true :wink2: . I've been an attorney for a few years, but I've been on Pricescope much longer, so that's likely why it hasn't come up! Attorneys are also very easy to find on the internet, which is another reason I've been a little quiet about it, but I feel like anonymity fades anyways after being on the boards for so many years. I thought of you sometime recently and wondered if you had ever read Flannery O'Connor?

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1481225998|4105672 said:
Calliecake and Ruby,
That is such a horrible experience for the parents. I'm so very sorry.

I used to baby sit occasionally so they could have a little break.

Just doing it for a few hours was heartbreaking.

So my heart goes out to parents having to live through it.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was greatly opposed to the vaccine bill that was passed in CA mandating all shots on the CDC schedule for entrance into public school. Not because I am a nutty anti vaxxer but because it was a loss of medical freedom. Slowly we are starting to see these bills, and now this bill on abortion, as they gradually take the authority away from doctors and transfer it to government or state.

I may not be pro-choice for myself, but I certainly think that needs to be an option available to others. We need to get away from these one size fits all bills. A lot of circumstances come in to play with medical decisions and they need to be looked at on a case by case basis between patient and doctor.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ruby that is terrible and I am sorry for all the pain your family went through.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
redwood66|1481233305|4105704 said:

Thank you Red.

That is why my greatest gift are my three children.

When you think about conception and all those cells dividing it does not take much for it to go horribly wrong.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1481234468|4105710 said:

Thank you Red.

When you think about conception and all those cells dividing it does not take much for it to go horribly wrong.

Mine are too and the human body amazes me though because I have healthy identical twins and like you say things can go horribly wrong.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
House Cat|1481171733|4105552 said:

Hi Red,

Partial birth abortions were outlawed by GW Bush. People use them now as fear tactics for those who already hate abortion. There is no such thing as an abortion where the child can survive outside of the womb. That is a live birth and an adoption would ensue.

Edit: or the mother would take the child home....

n/m not gonna fan the fire.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Matata|1481220829|4105652 said:
Dee*Jay|1481176306|4105576 said:
I am burned out. When I can predict the answers of certain posters and they respond as predicted (because their responses to any issue are always the same), I prefer to just read and :rolleyes: in anonymity. There is a certain level of stupid that may occur which may prompt me to post but the bar has been set so low, it's difficult to muster the energy to respond.

Luv you Dee*Jay. Hope to see you again at an annual PS get together.

Wow. So is someone who is against abortion is stupid? I wish someone would have told me before. I'd have saved a bundle on education costs.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
redwood66|1481234878|4105711 said:
ruby59|1481234468|4105710 said:

Thank you Red.

Mine are too and the human body amazes me though because I have healthy identical twins and like you say things can go horribly wrong.

Thankfully for the most part nature is kind and everything goes well.

I had 5 miscarriages. So I am well aware of when it does not.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:think: :think:
Is a coat hanger considered pointy??

The only thing I see from this bill is more of those trying to rid a body of pregnancy, not less. But carry on. Of course nothing bad will come from this.

:read: :read: :read:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results