shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this normal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

idealseeker

Rough_Rock
I guess a more accurate subject line is, "Am I normal?" But I figured the, "Is this normal," may catch some attention. Anyway, I was just curious as to whether I''m going WAAAAY overboard in my search for what I would call the perfect stone. I realize there is no absolute perfect stone, but there is what is perfect in my eyes. My point is, I think I may have come to the point where the jeweler I am working with is frustrated with me (and I''m only at the beginning stages!). I may be reading into this all wrong, but I was told, "After all the work that''s been done, I really don''t want to start again." So far, here has been the 2.5 week process: I picked 2 of 5 certs for stone viewing, only ended up having 1 available. Being out of the area, had another set of eyes look for me. Realized I could''ve just had it sent to a trusted appraiser in my area and requested that. Mentioned that I didn''t want to hold the jeweler back regarding the stone being held for me, and that I wasn''t in a terrible hurry. Got the appt set up for this week and was about to contact the jeweler and received that message. So, now I''m worried that if I don''t like the stone, I''m shopping for someone else to work with. My fear is that I''m too overbearing in my search and would hate to frustrate another jeweler. The point of this message is to not bash the jeweler, but to make sure I''m not too far out of the norm as a buyer. I''ve posted a couple of other threads regarding the stones of interest. So based on those questions I''ve posed, how can I be a more accomodating buyer? Thanks!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

If your current jeweler is frustrasted after only 2 1/2 weeks, I'd think you'd benefit from finding another person to work with. Your search sounds, so far, to be completely normal and acceptable. If the jeweler wants to work with you, then it would only make sense that that person would do all that he/she can do help you find what is most closely the perfect stone that will make you happy. You shouldn't be focusing your attention on how to make the sellering process easier for the jeweler, but rather directing your attention to finding your dream diamond.

Pricescope members are unusual in that we tend to be unnecessarily picky only because we know the difference between good diamonds and crap
2.gif
. Many jewelers can't handle this. . . sounds like the one you're working with CANNOT. Find a seller who wants to accomodate TO YOU!

Good luck.

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto to what MC said. Your jeweler is frustrated after only 2 1/2 weeks? For such a big purchase (not only monetary, but life-changing as well if you think about it) your jeweler should be helping you as much as possible instead of making you feel like a pesty buyer. It''s not your fault that only one stone was available to view IRL and you''d like to shop around. So yeah, look for another jeweler and good luck!

P.S. Yes, you''re normal!

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let's put things into perspective:

I first spent a couple of months learning about diamonds and buying and using my own loupe and the IdealScope (and diriving many local diamond vendors nuts...)

Then I put together a concept of what I would like to do for an engagement ring: Consisting of modest centerstone (3/4+ carat) with about 1/4 carat side stones in a certain range of cut, clarity, etc, etc....

I then sent my proposal to about 8 jewelers (if I recall 2 local & 6 internet) - looking to buy just the sidestones to a certain specification.

All but 2 vendors quickly turned down their participation.

NiceIce and Good Old Gold were the only vendors even willing to look for a matched pair of nomanally 1/4 carat sidestones to my criteria.

After about 3 months Good Old Golld found the first pair that matched my criteria.

In the meantime I kept my eyes open for a centerstone that matched my criteria. One pops up on the pricescope search engine every month or so....

Unfortunately - things did not go so well and I have never completed that engagement ring (even when the it moved to using a green centerstone).

So I have a great pair of matched .23 carat diamonds in the vault.... Someday I'm sure that I will find a good use for them.

On the other hand - it sure allowed me to learn about the diamond shopping, and appraisal, business.

Now to get back to you and your jeweler..... Frustration after only a couple of weeks. Might I suggest that you contact NiceIce or Good Old Gold (Jonathan directly - and ask Jonathan about Todd at NiceIce); and you might also contact Wink Jones at Winfields (he was not asked to participate in my original search - but has convniced me he would have participated had he asked). The best vendors are both patient in searching out your needs and highly respectfull of one another.

Perry

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Idealseeker, unfortunately I *do* have to say it is normal. "Normal" for most traditional jewelers to produce a few good stones and expect the customer to buy one of them, because that''s the way it''s generally worked to this point, LOL. But now consumers have a lot of information available to them, and you obviously are interested the best possible stone because you''re on here educating yourself.

My advice is to contact some of the PS vendors and see what they have to offer. (Unless there is some reason you *have* to work with this B&M vendor?) Serioulsy, the PS vendors understand where you''re coming from and my impression is that they will bend over backwards to help you find what you want.

Good luck!

idealseeker

Rough_Rock
Hey, thanks everyone. I''m relieved that my due diligence is nothing out of the ordinary. There''s no reason I "have" to work with this jeweler. The jeweler, believe or not, is someone I discovered on the pricescope forums (same hometown), and the reviews, although as numerous as others, have been good, so that''s why I decided on this particular jeweler. I''ll just see how this one stone works out. People have bad days and hopefully yesterday was just one of those days for the jeweler. Like you guys have said, worse comes to worse, there are at least a handful of other PS vendors out there. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results